• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT3| Sleep is for the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Looked up Gurren Lagann. I kept getting it confused with Neon Genesis Evangelion. Yea, that show looks pretty awesome. Does it have a good dub?

Yeah, the dub is pretty solid. And has Steve Blum as this guy:

5YTj71S.png

It did air on Syfy a few years ago, but Syfy edited everything to shit (this happened with pretty much every other show they aired, for that matter). The best was when they cut out like half of the final battle of the series. Gotta fit dem THREE commercial breaks in.

What if Toonami was a super manly themed block

Gurren Lagann
G Gundam
Fist of the North Star
JoJo

i think it would be pretty cool and manly and bro

Seda

whats cancelled?did I miss something?

Both Thundercats and Symbionic Titan never got renewed past their opening seasons. This is especially sad in the case of SBT because the show is really well done and there's loose ends never answered :/

Cwarrior

Both Thundercats and Symbionic Titan never got renewed past their opening seasons. This is especially sad in the case of SBT because the show is really well done and there's loose ends never answered :/

oh that, Am sad Symbionic Titan was canceled it deserved many more season, but for Thundercats am glad it got canceled.

What if Toonami was a super manly themed block

Gurren Lagann(super unmanly mostly emo f.y.i men don't cry so hard they start bleeding tears of blood that's uber unmanly )
G Gundam(haven't seen but it's gundam any manliness it can muster is negated by it's affiliation with Gundam a name synonyms with emo angst kids in space).
Fist of the North Star(manly)
JoJo(manly)
Hajime no ippo
City Hunter
Toriko

i think it would be pretty cool and manly and bro

Fixed

Half of those are not even manly.

If you want something manly then look towards Hajime no ippo.

Jintor

FuqnPhm.gif
Oh gee a 30 sec commercial surely they'll all be sent to the poor house.

dude if it came down to cutting something that brings in profit and something that doesn't bring in profit what do you think CN is going to order cut

(super unmanly mostly emo f.y.i men don't cry so hard they start bleeding tears of blood that's uber unmanly )

what are you smoking

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
oh that, Am sad Symbionic Titan was canceled it deserved many more season, but for Thundercats am glad it got canceled.

Fixed

Half of those are not even manly.

If you want something manly then look towards Hajime no ippo.

You added some manly stuff, but in what universe is Gurren Laggan and G Gundam not manly? Domon is the King of Swag and Kamina and Simon are his children, the Princes of Swag.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
dude if it came down to cutting something that brings in profit and something that doesn't bring in profit what do you think CN is going to order cut

I'm a stickler about few things, but one of them is uncut openings (or in Inuyasha's case, the endings.)

I truly believe they make for a much better viewing experience. There's no way I would have watched as much Pokemon as much as I did if it wasn't for the hype-enducing openings. Ditto for Bleach. Great openings really add to the experience.

Also, AS has told CN to go screw themselves for less. NEW PETITION IDEA: Keep uncut openings on Toonami!

I'm a stickler about few things, but one of them is uncut openings (or in Inuyasha's case, the endings.)

I truly believe they make for a much better viewing experience. There's no way I would have watched as much Pokemon as much as I did if it wasn't for the hype-enducing openings. Ditto for Bleach. Great openings really add to the experience.

Also, AS has told CN to go screw themselves for less. NEW PETITION IDEA: Keep uncut openings on Toonami!

if a show needs its opening to be bearable, it's probably not a good show to begin with

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
if a show needs its opening to be bearable, it's probably not a good show to begin with

Well yes, but these are the cards we've been dealt.

Also I wouldn't say they make it bearable since it's a decent show, but the uncut JP opening really do add a lot to Naruto. The American one really detracts from these early eps though, and that's saying something.

No Haruka Kanata until May 26 makes me :<<<<<

considering what they have to work with (and by "what they have to work with", i mean "no they cannot cut the ads"), they're definitely choosing the lesser of the two evils here. people need to stop complaining about it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'll complain about it as much as I want.
FuqnPhm.gif

This isn't Toonami from 8 months ago. Four million+ shows in a night is fricking huge. The block is an unquestionable success.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Just a reminder that tonight's Bleach is filler, but it's a different kind of filler. It's an alternate universe story similar to the Boss Luffy episodes of One Piece. Basically, Bleach + Aladdin, or Arabian Bleach, or "Magi if it was written by a hack"

Adult Swim already has less advertising than other networks, and even if they didn't please enlighten me as to what network is willing to cut their revenue just so some cartoons can have longer opening songs. it's empty whining. you're complaining that they're not choosing an option which, for all intents and purposes, does not exist. if this was a Saw movie you'd be asking Jigsaw why he doesn't come down and cut his own damn foot off.

Raxus

Just a reminder that tonight's Bleach is filler, but it's a different kind of filler. It's an alternate universe story similar to the Boss Luffy episodes of One Piece. Basically, Bleach + Aladdin, or Arabian Bleach, or "Magi if it was written by a hack"

:lol Guess I know when to watch Hunter X Hunter.

Naruto's gonna be a great episode tonight if memory serves.

Thundercats is getting oh so very close to the punchline of this joke of a series.

I am going into Soul Eater blind. Looks interesting to say the least.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Adult Swim already has less advertising than other networks, and even if they didn't please enlighten me as to what network is willing to cut their revenue just so some cartoons can have longer opening songs. it's empty whining. you're complaining that they're not choosing an option which, for all intents and purposes, does not exist. if this was a Saw movie you'd be asking Jigsaw why he doesn't come down and cut his own damn foot off.

It's something I want to see happen, and I think it is possible (maybe not right now, but eventually.) So I'll continue whining about it, just like I whined when Cartoon Network cancelled Toonami. Things have a way of working themselves out.

Cwarrior

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhwdPdtQs94

this scene is single-handedly responsible for giving me a mustache.

Am not sure if that was meant be manly, a dude in a full body leotard/spandex that turns red/pink swinging a sword from inside a robot shouting about taking his love and all his sorrows??I don't sense any manly from it.

Here's an example of what's manly

Toriko making a simple meal is several magnitudes more manly then anything gurren laggan can muster
Any fight in hajime no ippo
tumblr_mb9xj9hOQe1rgu09ro1_400.gif
kenshiro taking the trash out
1219468119480.gif

You added some manly stuff, but in what universe is Gurren Laggan and G Gundam not manly? Domon is the King of Swag and Kamina and Simon are his children, the Princes of Swag.

lol king of swag, domon doesn't have an ounce of swag compared to Ryo

His like young yamauchi(from nintendo)

It's something I want to see happen, and I think it is possible (maybe not right now, but eventually.) So I'll continue whining about it, just like I whined when Cartoon Network cancelled Toonami. Things have a way of working themselves out.

at the very least, i would like to know why Bleach goes completely uncut. is the actual content of the episode shorter? did VIZ give them a Miyazaki "no cuts" policy?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight on Toonami, Chigo, Uryo, Ori Mei, and Chaido steal a magic lamp...wait, what? Naruto joins the battle on the bridge, Death the Kid makes his debut, the Thunderkittens take over at 1, the Galalunians move in, Renton learns who Eureka really is, Seina meets some familiar faces on Earth, the military apprehends a suspect in the murder of Brigadier General Hughes, the Bebop crew learns a lesson, and Sesshomaru seeks out a new sword.

12:00 - Bleach - 287 - Side Story! Ichigo and the Magic Lamp
12:30 - Naruto - 14 - The Number One Hyperactive, Knucklehead Ninja Joins the Fight!
1:00 - Soul Eater - 3 - The Perfect Boy – Death the Kid's Magnificent Mission?
1:30 - Thundercats - 22 - The Forever Bag
2:00 - Sym-Bionic Titan - 2 - Neighbors in Disguise
2:30 - Eureka seveN - 29 - Keep On Movin'
3:00 - Tenchi Muyo! GXP - 17 - Getting Reacquainted
3:30 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 16 - Footprints of a Comrade-in-Arms
4:00 - Cowboy Bebop - 11 - Toys in the Attic
4:30 - Cowboy Bebop - 12 - Jupiter Jazz (Part 1)
5:00 - Inuyasha - 33 - Kikyo, Captured by Naraku
5:30 - Inuyasha - 34 - Tetsusaiga and Tenseiga

Am not sure if that was meant be manly, a dude in a full body leotard/spandex that turns red/pink swinging a sword from inside a robot shouting about taking his love and all his sorrows??

this is an artist's rendition of what happens when you watch that scene of G Gundam (or really any scene of G Gundam):

tumblr_lnyzwxgK3v1qjnw4q.gif

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Well yes, but these are the cards we've been dealt.

Also I wouldn't say they make it bearable since it's a decent show, but the uncut JP opening really do add a lot to Naruto. The American one really detracts from these early eps though, and that's saying something.

No Haruka Kanata until May 26 makes me :<<<<<

You're not going to see Haruka Kanata until near the end of the year. They used the dub intro for the first 50 or so episodes, then when OP3 should have started, they used OP2 (Haruka Kanata), and only finally sorted themselves out when OP4 started (GO!!!).

BatDan

I'm going to guess that the Naruto openings are normal on the DVDs?
It's still strange they got the original TV opening. You can tell they were trying to be like "Rock the Dragon" with it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You're not going to see Haruka Kanata until near the end of the year. They used the dub intro for the first 50 or so episodes, then when OP3 should have started, they used OP2 (Haruka Kanata), and only finally sorted themselves out when OP4 started (GO!!!).

Oh goddamnit. GODDAMN IT

"Uncut Naruto" my ass.

At least GO will start when it's supposed to. Best Naruto opening by far.

are the original Naruto openings/endings actually on the DVD? i don't think it's out of the question they had some licensing issues, too; i mean, they have to air InuYasha with that generic opening.

Ultratech

Yeah, the dub is pretty solid. And has Steve Blum as this guy:

5YTj71S.png

It did air on Syfy a few years ago, but Syfy edited everything to shit (this happened with pretty much every other show they aired, for that matter). The best was when they cut out like half of the final battle of the series. Gotta fit dem THREE commercial breaks in.

Heh, I remember watching the whole thing on Hulu mostly a few years back.

Blew my mind when I found out Steve Blum was that dude.

its one of the only animes with a great sense of Pathos!

also gave us this BALLER SONG

Hell yes! Libera Me From Hell was boss-like.

It will get retroactively bad. Just wait.

Yeah, it gets worse. :(

are the original Naruto openings/endings actually on the DVD? i don't think it's out of the question they had some licensing issues, too; i mean, they have to air InuYasha with that generic opening.

Yeah, they are. It's not a rights issue. They just went with a dub opening for the first year or so, and then started using the Japanese openings for the TV airing. The DVDs always had the originals.

Mr. Patch

I decided to go ahead and run through the entirety of Soul Eater. Overall, I like the series but...

THE ENDING IS BULLSHIT OF THE HIGHEST CALIBER

BatDan

I decided to go ahead and run through the entirety of Soul Eater. Overall, I like the series but...

THE ENDING IS BULLSHIT OF THE HIGHEST CALIBER

The anime overtook the manga, and like FMA they made up filler for the rest of the series. Maybe one day we'll get a new series that covers the rest of the manga. Not right now as it's still going, or at least until it reaches endgame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom