• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT4| Set Sail for One Piece!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You know, I am starting to see why this didn't do so hot in its initial run, a lot of this feels like it is over the heads of the Toonami audience at the time.

Agreed. But at the same time I feel like it isn't doing much as far as being with the adult crowd either. It's a weird middle-feeling show I might like if I was 15 or 16.

Amikami

Banned
that cat is pretty smug. I'd like to see her operate one of those things.

*Secretly hopes she's the best racer in the series*

Seda

that cat is pretty smug. I'd like to see her operate one of those things.

*Secretly hopes she's the best racer in the series*

image.php

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The biggest problem with IGPX as I recall, was that it was horribly directed, terribly paced, and utterly boring.

That is the feeling I've gotten from the episodes so far, too.

There's not much of a plot or stakes and feels like a generic arena-ish show. This is why I always hated that stupid Zoids show that Toonami would always air instead of the far-superior Chaotic Century. The latter was a stupid boring arena show, the latter actually had a super interesting plot, mythos, and characters.

Unfortunately they stuck Chaotic Century at the ass crack of dawn (like 6am I believe) but that didn't stop me from watching it.

There's not much of a plot or stakes and feels like a generic arena-ish show. This is why I always hated that stupid Zoids show that Toonami would always air instead of the far-superior Chaotic Century. The latter was a stupid boring arena show, the latter actually had a super interesting plot, mythos, and characters.

Unfortunately they stuck Chaotic Century at the ass crack of dawn (like 6am I believe) but that didn't stop me from watching it.

I don't know. I [personally] loved the arena-style Zoids Zero over the war-torn Chaotic Century.
But you're right about the scheduling.

Yeah, they really dicked over Chaotic Century, which was such a great show.

IGPX has a lot of similar problems to Zoids/Zero, but also a lot that are just really specific to it. One of the more interesting things about a sports show, in my view, is that you can actually have antagonists who aren't evil, but IGPX decides to have them constantly going up against a bunch of thugs and assholes. None of the characters ever feel like they're advancing, and the whole show just feels pointless. It doesn't help that most episodes have long 'dramatic pauses' that don't really accomplish much of anything. I don't really think much of Mitsuru Hongo as a director, and I think he was pretty much the worst choice for the show. In better hands, we could have gotten something really enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom