• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT4| Set Sail for One Piece!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

I don't know what could be worse than
smokable lollipops, invisible guns, poison suction cups, and alcoholic grape juice...

Usopp was made as a comedic character (nevermind his voice made it sound like he was a clown going through puberty) so he recieved 0 character development. As you can imagine if 4kids kept the dub they would have had problems come later.

It gets worse, 4kids even deleted AN ENTIRE ARC in order to get to Chopper earlier because he was a marketable character. Scratch the fact the reason they got to Drum Island was because the events of the previous Arc it also featured Mr. 3 who inexplicably still pops up in Alabasta. Unnecessary censorship, turning alcohol into grape juice, guns turned to super soakers, the Crocodile fight made NO SENSE WHAT SO EVER. Like all 4kids shows it never knows when to shut the hell up and made unfunny jokes at every opportunity. Robin shows up with a cowboy hat? SOUTHERN ACCENT! Despite the fact she never wears it again and is an archeologist. Absolutely no voice direction what so ever. Chopper and Nami's backstory? Who the fuck cares!

It was so bad Toei wrestled the rights away from 4kids.

Brooklyn Rage!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
What is with 4kids and Brooklyn accents anyways? Dan Green should of voiced every character for all of their shows.

4Kids was based in New York, but that's not really an excuse for the excessive amount of Brooklyn accents.
Funimation is based in Texas, but that doesn't mean every show needs to have someone with a Southern accent.
I imagine 4Kids did it because "funny accents = good for kids", despite how racist some of them could be.

4Kids was based in New York, but that's not really an excuse for the excessive amount of Brooklyn accents.
Funimation is based in Texas, but that doesn't mean every show needs to have someone with a Southern accent.
I imagine 4Kids did it because "funny accents = good for kids", despite how racist some of them could be.
Robin a southern accent because of her hat is pretty damn stupid. Especially if she sorta Russian.

Blonde dudes are all from New York, didn't ya know?
Maybe Joey and Sanji are cousins.

Drago

Robin is a cruel, cruel woman.
Just saw the scene where she "convinces" Franky to join the crew. Ouch.
Metatron-level knowledge required.

Maybe it's just my perverted mind but I thought she was giving him a handjob at first when that happened, not strangling his nuts

Seda

Damn really?

Why did they start so high?

Naruto they started at the beginning, but that had rights issues with Shippuden (those are held by Disney). With One Piece, they said starting over from 1 with over 500 episodes to go through over the course of more than a decade was just too much.

BatDan

Damn really?

Why did they start so high?

It's in HD.
It's probably also easier or something. Starting from the beginning would take years. I know Naruto started at the top but removing the Filler Hell, it's only 135 episodes.
Plus, we're waaaay behind. In Japan, they're nearing 600 episodes.

By the way, Davy Back Fight is canon. Well, half-canon. The boat race, groggy ring and captain fight happened in the manga. The roller rink, dodgeball and ... red light-green light were added to the anime.

Loudninja

Naruto they started at the beginning, but that had rights issues with Shippuden (those are held by Disney). With One Piece, they said starting over from 1 with over 500 episodes to go through over the course of more than a decade was just too much.

It's in HD.
It's probably also easier or something. Starting from the beginning would take years. I know Naruto started at the top but removing the Filler Hell, it's only 135 episodes.
Plus, we're waaaay behind. In Japan, they're nearing 600 episodes.

By the way, Davy Back Fight is canon. Well, half-canon. The boat race, groggy ring and captain fight happened in the manga. The roller rink, dodgeball and ... red light-green light were added to the anime.
Ah I see thanks for the explanations.Also I did not know this was cannon wow it screams filler to me.

Something like Toriko is already at 50 episodes in english, that's about half already.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Ah I see thanks for the explanations.

Also I did not know this was cannon wow it screams filler to me.

It sort of is, but parts of it do come back later on. That said the series isn't even close to over so it could all come back and be extremely important one day, the manga just saw the return of a character no one expected to see ever again...

BatDan

Ah I see thanks for the explanations.Also I did not know this was cannon wow it screams filler to me.

Something like Toriko is already at 50 episodes in english, that's about half already.

To be fair, Oda wrote the arc as a breather after the ultra-long Skypiea arc. He mentioned that it had no impact on the overall story. So in essence, it's a canon filler arc. That didn't stop Toei from trying to turn
Foxy into the Team Rocket of the show by bringing him back... twice

As for Toriko, it just started. One Piece started back in 1999 and was in the hands of 4Kids for a few years. Funimation is working as hard as they can to catch up. They've licensed up to Episode 336.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
To be fair, Oda wrote the arc as a breather after the ultra-long Skypiea arc. He mentioned that it had no impact on the overall story. So in essence, it's a canon filler arc. That didn't stop Toei from trying to turn

As for Toriko, it just started. One Piece started back in 1999 and was in the hands of 4Kids for a few years. Funimation is working as hard as they can to catch up. They've licensed up to Episode 336.

Well part of it did come back, if only for a joke.

Loudninja

Yeah I know! I am amaze at the sheer amount of episodes One Piece have and I am very glad since its awesome.

Also thank for the info,I am glad to see them working hard on it.

BatDan

Pretty sure
Akoji
showing up kinda negates the canon filler of it.

That's true, though the anime handles that a lot differently.
But yeah, that's my advice for manga readers. It gets better at the end.

The spoilers from after 207 have to stop, people. This isn't the One Piece thread.

Sorry sorry. We're trying to keep the big details out, like *gets punched*

Davey is the only "quiet arc" in the series. its a good place to introrudce new people to the strawhats. its only gets crazier and crazier after this.

also this arc introduces
Akoji
who is a major player

Raxus

On the topic of Funimation catching up. They had Luffy's voice actor who implied she just wrapped up past episode 300 (at least). Hopefully Toonami will ignite One Piece's popularity in the west and Funimation will acquire more episodes.

Also, congrats for getting in Skullgirls lazybones18's avatar!

On the topic of Funimation catching up. They had Luffy's voice actor who implied she just wrapped up past episode 300 (at least). Hopefully Toonami will ignite One Piece's popularity in the west and Funimation will acquire more episodes.

Hell yeah!

BTW, for anyone who watched the stream when Brina showed up, did she do anything fun?

Necrovex

I hope so too. My Miku plushe needs a Zoro plushe. She is all alone in my car.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I was watching some dub clips of Davy Back Fight the other day. The dub seems really really good in this arc. You can tell they had a lot of fun with it.

Raxus

I was watching some dub clips of Davy Back Fight the other day. The dub seems really really good in this arc. You can tell they had a lot of fun with it.

I watched a couple episode. Basketball was really fun.

The Screw attack guys are on the stream now!

I have no doubt this has been beaten to death in this thread already, but I can't keep up with you people! How lost am I going to be jumping into OP with Toonami? I've tried to get into it many, many times in the past unsuccessfully and am worried this will fail too as they're starting so deep.

Seda

I have no doubt this has been beaten to death in this thread already, but I can't keep up with you people! How lost am I going to be jumping into OP with Toonami? I've tried to get into it many, many times in the past unsuccessfully and am worried this will fail too as they're starting so deep.

Raxus has a summary in the works.

Did you ever get to Nami's backstory (31-45)? That's the moment a lot of people get hooked.

I didn't, no. I've only seen a few episodes sprinkled throughout and read a few chapters of the manga. I'm one of those people who finds the art style pretty impenetrable but is inextricably drawn to the amazing word of mouth and Japanese popularity. Will wait for Raxus and hopefully enjoy jumping in (again) this weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom