• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT4| Set Sail for One Piece!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I don't think you understand the differences in youth culture between Japan & America either. It's common for a kids show to feature bloody scenes in JP because the culture was once dominated by a Samurai way of life. The appearance of such in OP doesn't change the fact Toei aims it at K6-11 there. The writing occasionally extends beyond the experience of that age demog, but mostly stays within it. That's why it's less mature than the other 3 shows. No one ever aimed Bleach, Naruto, or Soul Eater at such a young demog there."

this is what i am dealing with.

If this person thinks that One Piece is less mature than Bleach and Naruto, they're basically a lost cause.

"I don't think you understand the differences in youth culture between Japan & America either. It's common for a kids show to feature bloody scenes in JP because the culture was once dominated by a Samurai way of life. The appearance of such in OP doesn't change the fact Toei aims it at K6-11 there. The writing occasionally extends beyond the experience of that age demog, but mostly stays within it. That's why it's less mature than the other 3 shows. No one ever aimed Bleach, Naruto, or Soul Eater at such a young demog there."

this is what i am dealing with.

That's weird. The fact that they are all Shonen means that they aim at the same demo.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
And yet they're defending Bleach, which has absolutely no death whatsoever?

Well...
Some characters died in the latest arc, but we won't see that animated for a long time. At least until Kubo finishes the story.

Yeah, death in Bleach has always been weird.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
oh. also violence doesn't count as dramatic or mature unless there's death, apparently.

Well there are
a pair of those
later on that you may not have seen yet...

...those in the know will know what I'm talking about. Big spoilers if you do use those though.

There are parts of One Piece where I have gasped in surprise at the violence - hell, that happened today in the fight between Zoro and one of the Sky Island priests (yes, I'm still finishing up the Skypiea arc). Hell, Robin snapped someone's neck during Alabasta, didn't she?

789shadow

Banned
There are parts of One Piece where I have gasped in surprise at the violence - hell, that happened today in the fight between Zoro and one of the Sky Island priests (yes, I'm still finishing up the Skypiea arc). Hell, Robin snapped someone's neck during Alabasta, didn't she?
Yes, she THREW YAMA OFF OF A CLIFF and broke his back on the way down.

Jintor

Fuck yo the bit with Nami and her tattoo in the Arlong arc after the rat captain comes to town was... god damn, son

violence is one thing. That shit was intense

I ain't never seen something that effective in bleach or narutos

/edit not even counting the bit where she had to wear gloves

the dramatic violence does not count because there is a lot of comedy in the series as well, with comedic violence.

i'm just....i don't even know how to respond to this person.

BatDan

the dramatic violence does not count because there is a lot of comedy in the series as well, with comedic violence.

Doesn't Bleach have a lot of comedic violence as well? Whenever Isshin beats up Ichigo it's played for laughs.
Soul Eater? Whenever Lord Death uses his Reaper Chop, or Maka uses her Maka Chop.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Doesn't Bleach have a lot of comedic violence as well? Whenever Isshin beats up Ichigo it's played for laughs.
Soul Eater? Whenever Lord Death uses his Reaper Chop, or Maka uses her Maka Chop.

Yea but those are dark and gritty. Or whatever.

There's only one way to respond:

ZVcF7dt.gif

1. Cleveland Show, 10:30 PM – 0.76
2. Family Guy, 10 PM – 0.69
3. Soul Eater, 1:30 AM – 0.50
4. One Piece, 1 AM – 0.50
5. Boondocks, 11:30 PM – 0.48
6. Black Dynamite, 11 PM – 0.48

7. Naruto, 12:30 AM – 0.41
8. Bleach, 12 AM – 0.41
9. Family Guy, 9:30 PM – 0.39
10. Thundercats, 3 AM – 0.29
11. Eureka 7, 2:30 AM – 0.29
12. IGPX, 2 AM – 0.26
13. Sym-Bionic Titan, 3:30 AM – 0.24
14. Full Metal Alchemist, 4 AM – 0.23
15. InuYasha, 5:30 AM – 0.21
16. InuYasha, 5 AM – 0.20
17. Cowboy Bebop, 4:30 AM – 0.20

BatDan

Move over Bleach and Naruto, the new kings of Toonami are here. Though King Soul Eater's reign will be brief...

I think the real test for One Piece will be in the coming weeks (next week might be a bit of an outlier due to it being a holiday weekend). Plenty of people tuned in for the premier, but will confusion about where it's starting cause some of them to turn away? Hopefully not, but we'll have to wait and see on that one.

MikeMyers

I think the real test for One Piece will be in the coming weeks (next week might be a bit of an outlier due to it being a holiday weekend). Plenty of people tuned in for the premier, but will confusion about where it's starting cause some of them to turn away? Hopefully not, but we'll have to wait and see on that one.

How well was Naruto's premier?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
One Piece skews older than any other Shonen manga basically ever. The audience keeps getting older and by and large they haven't given it up as it goes along and they normally grow out of Shonen.

Jintor

I don't understand how we got that booty quake it scene

ever to exist

I'm not down on it or anything. It's just... man.

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
That's weird. The fact that they are all Shonen means that they aim at the same demo.

Not exactly. Death Note is shounen too, but it's certainly not aimed at the same demo as, say, Naruto. Especially in anime form.

Sounds like that guy is using the "hardcore gamer" definition of the word mature. Which is pretty much the opposite of what the word mature actually means.

Also, the average One Piece reader in Japan is in his/her early 20s. That's actual fact. The anime skews younger, though.

Aww man...LTTP on the ratings part from yesterday. That drop from IGPX makes me sad. I really do like the show and wish it did better. Yeah it isn't as consistently action packed as the first 2 hours of frenetic shonen shows, but it has it's own charm.

789shadow

Banned
Aww man...LTTP on the ratings part from yesterday. That drop from IGPX makes me sad. I really do like the show and wish it did better. Yeah it isn't as consistently action packed as the first 2 hours of frenetic shonen shows, but it has it's own charm.
It's not like Bleach has...........any action ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom