• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT4| Set Sail for One Piece!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

tKLyLvw.png

No million-breakers but steady first two hours. One Piece (and Soul Eater) dethrone Bleach. IGPX what are you doing.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Good job One Piece and Soul Eater. I love the consistency.

WHOA at that IGPX drop. That's really bad.

tKLyLvw.png

No million-breakers but steady first two hours. One Piece (and Soul Eater) dethrone Bleach. IGPX what are you doing.

Wow. What happened? Bleach always breaks a million. Always. I don't think I can remember a night when Bleach hasn't broken a million. And Soul Eater beat it? What was on at that time of night that the anime fans ditched Bleach? I am really shocked here. IGPX tanking like...well, a tank. At least OP had decent numbers for its first night. Hopefully things go up this week.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
One Piece won the night, that's great news. IGPX needs to get moved back a bit, that was a hell of a drop. Like totally insane.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
There was a UFC thing on Saturday, I know that much. No idea what else could have stifled the block's top ratings that much, though.

Dat #1 and #2 show.

DAT IGPX DROP. Holy shit is that bad. I mean, we did all say it felt like the block came to a screeching halt there, but man is that awful. I'm curious if they even wait to see if it rebounds. This is right about the point in the series that they scuttled GXP off into the 3 am hour. Maybe they'll let it go one more week. Might be seeing Thundercats move back into that slot really soon.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
There was a UFC thing on Saturday, I know that much. No idea what else could have stifled the block's top ratings that much, though.

Dat #1 and #2 show.

DAT IGPX DROP. Holy shit is that bad. I mean, we did all say it felt like the block came to a screeching halt there, but man is that awful. I'm curious if they even wait to see if it rebounds. This is right about the point in the series that they scuttled GXP off into the 3 am hour. Maybe they'll let it go one more week. Might be seeing Thundercats move back into that slot really soon.

They're better off just moving Eureka up a slot, I can't imagine TCats would play well there.

Seda

Dat #1 and #2 show.

I doubt they'll move it after 1 terrible week, but yeah if this happens again, I totally expect Thundercats and IGPX to swap or something.

They're better off just moving Eureka up a slot, I can't imagine TCats would play well there.

Thundercats has always had pretty solid ratings, even in reruns.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
They moved Tenchi pretty fast. I think it got only two disastrous weeks in a row, and IGPX has shown signs of weakness in the previous week or two, with this week being especially bad. I'm guessing it gets one more chance.

Tenumi

Banned
Odd seeing the first hour below 1 million. Great ratings for Soul Eater and especially One Piece, though. That IGPX drop, though. That's sad, its not too bad of a series, in my opinion.

I know it's Turner PR-spin, but it seems like the shows did well in the demos:

Saturday night’s Toonami block also scored success: new episodes of One Piece (1 a.m.) and Soul Eater (1:30 a.m.) ranked #1 in their respective timeslots among all targeted young adults and men, Bleach (12 a.m.) ranked #1 in its timeslot among adults 18-34 and men 18-24 & 18-34, and Naruto (12:30 a.m.) ranked #1 in its timeslot among adults and men 18-24 & 18-34. All new episodes within the anime block earned impressive double-digit growth across adults 18-34 & 18-49 and all targeted men – ranging between 15% and 348% – vs. the same time period last year.

so even though Bleach through Soul Eater are all under a million, they came in at #1 in their timeslots for 18-24 and 18-34. One Piece and Soul Eater especially. so i guess that means TV ratings as a whole were down.

that drop for IGPX is completely unacceptable. it got beaten by BOTH EUREKA SEVEN AND THUNDERCATS

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I know it's Turner PR-spin, but it seems like the shows did well in the demos:

It will be interesting to see these year over year numbers from here on out. This coming Saturday is going to be May 25. Toonami relaunched last year on the same weekend on May 26.

Happy to see the One Piece and Soul Eater hour doing the best, and IGPX crashing and burning. It's hardly a surprise, given that it's original run got ratings so awful they had to move it to a death slot to finish its run.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Also, good to see that the Bleach filler was so awful even its usual audience was having trouble stomaching it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
IGPX being a ratings black hole pleases me in a self-reinforcement kinda way. Still not cool to have Toonami's original series tank, but... eh...

Woo, I hope those ratings cause some push-backs & push-ups for some shows.

Did the viewers drop during Bleach already? ALSO, regarding One Piece
Opening 7, is that the original WITH SPECIAL SINGERS?!

Happy to see the One Piece and Soul Eater hour doing the best, and IGPX crashing and burning. It's hardly a surprise, given that it's original run got ratings so awful they had to move it to a death slot to finish its run.

the staff said IGPX did well. just not well enough to justify its production. Cartoon Network, probably due to the costs involved, was expecting it to equal Naruto, or beat it.

Shard said:
Also, good to see that the Bleach filler was so awful even its usual audience was having trouble stomaching it.

i doubt this was the case. Bleach still managed to be #1 in its key demographics; i will be surprised if Black Dynamite and The Boondocks do not see a ratings drop, too.

It will be interesting to see these year over year numbers from here on out. This coming Saturday is going to be May 25. Toonami relaunched last year on the same weekend on May 26.

I don't think the YOY numbers will see as big of an increase from here on out - but the real test will be when you're comparing six hour block to six hour block.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Violent/intense scenes pre-207.

Zoro vs. Mihawk
Death of Bellemere
Zoro vs. Mr. 1
Usopp and Chopper vs. Mr. 4 and Miss Merry Christmas
Luffy vs. Crocodile Round 3

There are many others, but they're in spoiler territory so I'll be quiet.

Glad to see One Piece ruling the roost

And I'd guess the reason for the poor Bleach numbers was some of the die hard fans didn't bother to watch because it was a filler episode.

"I don't think you understand the differences in youth culture between Japan & America either. It's common for a kids show to feature bloody scenes in JP because the culture was once dominated by a Samurai way of life. The appearance of such in OP doesn't change the fact Toei aims it at K6-11 there. The writing occasionally extends beyond the experience of that age demog, but mostly stays within it. That's why it's less mature than the other 3 shows. No one ever aimed Bleach, Naruto, or Soul Eater at such a young demog there."

this is what i am dealing with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom