• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT4| Set Sail for One Piece!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

So I've decided I'm going to make an effort to watch One Piece, and animegaf awhile ago mentioned that if you have read some of the manga, you should start watching the "Memory of Nami" movie. Is this actually a good idea, and what episodes does it cover?

Seda

So I've decided I'm going to make an effort to watch One Piece, and animegaf awhile ago mentioned that if you have read some of the manga, you should start watching the "Memory of Nami" movie. Is this actually a good idea, and what episodes does it cover?

I actually haven't seen Episode of Nami but I hear it's a good and worthwhile abridged version of the Arlong Park arc (31-44).

It covers the Arlong arc, which most consider to be the first really good arc in the series. It's like episodes 30-43ish or something.

How much of the manga have you read? You should definitely get to where it is in the storyline, so just finish up to the Baratie arc if you haven't.

Only seen snippets of the nami film, but the anime version of a certain scene aka the scene that makes the arc is way better then the film version. For me music is a make or break point so I'd just watch the anime version.

Besides if you're committing yourself to watching op you should watch all of op

bigkrev

It covers the Arlong arc, which most consider to be the first really good arc in the series. It's like episodes 30-43ish or something.

How much of the manga have you read? You should definitely get to where it is in the storyline, so just finish up to the Baratie arc if you haven't.

Read 2 volumes, actively disliked it.

getting up to Arlong might be a bit of a trek, but if you do not like that arc you can safely choose to never bother with the series ever again from what i've seen so far.

Loudninja said:
Speaking of One Piece sad music really hits you hard.

speaking of One Piece music, they played We Are again as the episode was closing when they were
heading to Skypiea
. it was AMAZING. and i don't even like We Are. what has this song done to me?

Moaradin

Yea, that's how it was for me. Before Arlong I had no real feeling for or against One Piece. Arlong is what really made me a fan.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
getting up to Arlong might be a bit of a trek, but if you do not like that arc you can safely choose to never bother with the series ever again from what i've seen so far.

speaking of One Piece music, they played We Are again as the episode was closing when they were
heading to Skypiea
. it was AMAZING. and i don't even like We Are. what has this song done to me?

Oh man that was an amazing moment, it looked so sweet then the music kicked in and I lost it.

Jintor

Wait, we go out of Naruto written tests right into Death Academy written tests? At least the DMA tests will be rad

Oh good, I'm at the turning point of OP. I won't say I dislike it, it's actually pretty fun and the funimation dub is rad. I just think the pacing drags.

Jintor

Man, I sure love how Hulu will play an ad in full and then crash, forcing a reload and another ad

Good job with that technical stuff Hulu

/edit okay, Luffy and Sanji just beat the shit out of a giant sea cow serpent for no particular reason. I'm good.

/edit Yeah, this arc is rocketing along a lot nicer. I think it's because they split up the cast but they all have interesting stuff going on all at the same time. Well, Sanji and Luffy's isn't that interesting, but it is hilariously dumb so I can excuse it.

LycanXIII

Wait, we go out of Naruto written tests right into Death Academy written tests? At least the DMA tests will be rad

Oh good, I'm at the turning point of OP. I won't say I dislike it, it's actually pretty fun and the funimation dub is rad. I just think the pacing drags.

It's only one week though. On Netflix it's listed as the start of "Part 2."

Seda

KuGsj.gif

Yeah, this arc is rocketing along a lot nicer. I think it's because they split up the cast but they all have interesting stuff going on all at the same time. Well, Sanji and Luffy's isn't that interesting, but it is hilariously dumb so I can excuse it.

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

You bastards I'm fucking hooked on this

If I fail this semester it's your goddamn fault

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Jintor

If I was watching this with you bastards it would be like weeks and weeks of fucking torture.

Still though this guy's swordfighting zoro with his loving nose and that's prettty cooooool

Jintor

Boy, I sure hope this Marine rat dude just continually returns and gets the shit beaten out of him. God, that catharsis

Jintor

Bellamy has such a fucking cool visual design.

This scene with Nami at her house post-arc is sodding excellent. Such a relief after that endless sludge through the fight scenes.

So what episodes are complete filler that I should skip?

Bellemere. Bellamy is someone totally different :p

Skip the Apis arc, which follows Loguetown. You'll know it when you see it. An annoying little girl in a stupid hat shows up on the ship

Jintor

43 episodes in 3 days is too fucking many episodes of One Piece. I better give this a rest until I at least get my essay structure done...

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

The only real issue with Episode of Nami if you're not caught up on the anime is that it ends with a scene that roughly equates to episode 520 or so. Otherwise it's a pretty straight-forward, slightly condensed version of the Arlong Arc.

The only thing about the Apis arc is that it contains a canon scene explaining why you can't just enter the Grand Line anywhere.

the Grand Line is surrounded by two Calm Belts, which have no wind at all and are filled with massive sea monsters.

done. now he can skip it. also, the guy Nami murders on Reverse Mountain was the villain from the filler arc.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So what episodes are complete filler that I should skip?

50-51, though 50 is sort of semi-canon. It was actually going to be in the manga but Oda took it out for pacing reasons, and it explains where Usopp got the googles he'll be using from now on.

54-60. 54-55 do include an important canon segment about the Calm Belt, though. The first 10 minutes or so of 61 is also filler, but the second half of the episode is extremely important canon.

98-99

101-102

131-143

196-206 (this is the best filler arc in One Piece by far, YMMV)

That's everything up to the Toonami run.

Seda

Filler isn't so bad in One Piece. I mean, there are 2x more episodes than Naruto and still has less filler than it.

According to a Naruto filler list I found through Google, if they truncate the backloaded filler in Naruto, there's less than 10 filler episodes (out of 135?). Toonami does acknowledge this in their FAQ, and while they aren't 'worried' about it now, at least they are aware of it.

Shippuden has plenty of filler though (and it sucks, go figure).

Also, I think FUNi nailed Bellamy's voice. It fits so well with his eyes.

TheChits

Alright, I'm just about caught up on reading One Piece. Having said that, they started showing the anime in like the most boring part :(

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
According to a Naruto filler list I found through Google, if they truncate the backloaded filler in Naruto, there's less than 10 filler episodes (out of 135?). Toonami does acknowledge this in their FAQ, and while they aren't 'worried' about it now, at least they are aware of it.

Shippuden has plenty of filler though (and it sucks, go figure).

Also, I think FUNi nailed Bellamy's voice. It fits so well with his eyes.

I'm really hoping Toonami skips the Naruto filler.

Funi did a great job with all the voices in OP so far, I really want to see who they get to do
Brook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom