• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT4| Set Sail for One Piece!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Skypeia is underrated. There's a lot of stuff there that pays dividends later on in the series and the fights are pretty good.

[insert best reaction shot here]

Jintor

Haven't seen Quantum. Character designs and art style immediately turned me off.

Want to get into Link though, heard good things.

Quantum has the distinct advantages of being a) pretty good and b) 3 episodes long so it doesn't outstay its welcome

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Skypeia is underrated. There's a lot of stuff there that pays dividends later on in the series and the fights are pretty good.

[insert best reaction shot here]

Indeed. Skypiea is a "seed-planting" arc as multiple elements introduced will pay off immensely later down the road.
I imagine the same thing will happen with
Fishman Island
in about 3-4 years (manga wise).

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I generally find Kajiura soundtracks to be pretty terrible. I mean, some of the tracks are, on their own, pretty enough, but almost every Kajiura series I've seen had music that just completely overpowered everything else.

Skypiea has kind of a choppy/slow start but ends epic as shit.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I generally find Kajiura soundtracks to be pretty terrible. I mean, some of the tracks are, on their own, pretty enough, but almost every Kajiura series I've seen had music that just completely overpowered everything else.

Skypiea has kind of a choppy/slow start but ends epic as shit.

Have you seen Fate/Zero. Complemented it perfectly.

Raxus

After the trail of balls there are a couple bumps in the road but it is gravy from there. The Enel fight is glorious.

so yeah......what is up with Don Quixote on the bird horse lol

EDIT: oh right, there's a character in this show named Donquixote. i'm talking about Gan Fall.

Seda

Gan Fall was awesome. I liked him.

EDIT: And I said this before but I appreciated some of the new BGMs they incorporated in Skypeia.

Well, SAO's coming, you guys know my plan already..........

c6d769027d9e709082f1.png

Seda

Speaking of cut openings, that One Piece cut is awful. I mean, I'm not complaining simply that it is cut, but it is cut horribly.

Speaking of cut openings, that One Piece cut is awful. I mean, I'm not complaining simply that it is cut, but it is cut horribly.

It's pretty awful, but at the same time it avoids spoilers. Which includes a shot of something pretty pivotal to one...well all of the Strawhats. But you may guess which one because you already saw it. >.>

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The fifth opening is the best One Piece opening by a mile but is also filled with an incredible amount of spoilers!

Branduil

We survived GPX, we can survive this. All we need is something to latch on to and make an epic joke about. I'm sure we'll find that thing, we always do.

It's funny because you think there's only one thing. All the relevant jokes have already been made, but I guess it will all still be new for some of you guys. I can't wait to see what happens when they find out about that chapter.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's funny because you think there's only one thing. All the relevant jokes have already been made, but I guess it will all still be new for some of you guys. I can't wait to see what happens when they find out about that chapter.

I'm sure we can find something new. Don't underestimate us.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Well, for example, FMA:B's cut opening is 20 seconds longer than One Piece's. Soul Eater's is 15 seconds longer than One Piece.

One issue with One Piece is that I'm not sure if FUNimation is actually allowed to use the real show's logo on television. They certainly never have before and have even replaced the logo on the eyecatches. That's why you always see them use their own gold logo, which is similar to but different from the actual real logo. Even when they aired the show previously on Toonami, they had to replace the logo in Hikari e and they had to cut the shot where the logo flies in behind the Going Merry in Bon Voyage entirely and place their US logo elsewhere.

In Kokoro no Chizu, the shot that comes in right where they jump cut to the end has the real One Piece logo flying in over the animation in pieces and coming together over the shot of the Going Merry, so I don't know that they can include that shot at all. Might have influenced their decision on how to chop it up.

It will be interesting to see what they do with Crazy Rainbow when they eventually get there due to all the pieces of the logo lying all over the place in the environment in the beginning parts of that opening.

One issue with One Piece is that I'm not sure if FUNimation is actually allowed to use the real show's logo on television. They certainly never have before and have even replaced the logo on the eyecatches. That's why you always see them use their own gold logo, which is similar to but different from the actual real logo. Even when they aired the show previously on Toonami, they had to replace the logo in Hikari e and they had to cut the shot where the logo flies in behind the Going Merry in Bon Voyage entirely and place their US logo elsewhere.

In Kokoro no Chizu, the shot that comes in right where they jump cut to the end has the real One Piece logo flying in over the animation in pieces and coming together over the shot of the Going Merry, so I don't know that they can include that shot at all.

It will be interesting to see what they do with Crazy Rainbow when they eventually get there due to all the pieces of the logo lying all over the place in the environment in the beginning parts of that opening.

Well, with the licenses Funi has, they will piss us off if they have to and edit it all. Copyright & Their licensing rule causes them to turn the logo into english if it's fully Japanese. But, Funi apparently will do anything to an Opening to make sure it goes " good. "

ALSO, this is my first time jumpin' the pitch of a song ( shivers ), SAO, my edit : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGtrPtScSZc

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
i noticed it was different. why is that? seems like an oddly specific thing.

The show's original logo was used by 4Kids. I think the situation is one of two things:

1) 4Kids may still have some kind of legal claim to that logo in the United States.

2) Even if they don't, it may be a mandate to not use that logo anywhere so as to completely distinguish it as a product from 4Kids' version of the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom