• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT4| Set Sail for One Piece!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It all depends on how long the final arc will take. Who knows what that will be.
Kubo considers everything from the Arrancar Invasion to Aizen's defeat to be one arc. It could be a while.

Tamanon

Banned
Well, they also wouldn't start the final Bleach anime arc until Kubo was almost done with the manga one. So they wouldn't run into the issues requiring so much filler.

Tankman

After watching Excalibur as my first Soul Eater experience, checked it out on netflix and am already on season 3. Lesson learned: first impressions aren't everything.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
That's your answer for everything. :p

Of course. The manga is often better than the anime. Lack of filler, less awkward artwork (like entire chapters of fish-eyed characters) and often the better alternative if the anime ends up being a pile of shit *points to Eyeshield 21 and Magi*

Raxus

Of course. The manga is often better than the anime. Lack of filler, less awkward artwork (like entire chapters of fish-eyed characters) and often the better alternative if the anime ends up being a pile of shit *points to Eyeshield 21 and Magi*

Unless you are reading the original run of Hunter X Hunter. 0_0

I have to admit. It is really tempting to shotgun through Soul Eater but I really want to go in fresh and be surprised with you guys. I am really excited to read the manga after the series ends.

So adultswim.com got a refresh (looks better, IMO), with a nice Toonami icon front and center, and the Toonami page itself finally updated to the TOM 5 look, but it's still pretty bare bones.

ETA: Whoops, they have the old schedule on there! I saw GX....something, I don't know, I think I blacked out for a second.

ckohler

I have to admit. It is really tempting to shotgun through Soul Eater but I really want to go in fresh and be surprised with you guys.

RESIST THE URGE! I love reading reactions from the first time viewers as the episodes air.

I'm watching several other shows unspoiled (IGPX, One Piece) as they air.

Seda

RESIST THE URGE! I love reading reactions from the first time viewers as the episodes air.

This is actually one of the reasons why I am not watching ahead on shows like Soul Eater and One Piece, because I know how fun it can be to watch reactions when you know what's coming. The other reason being I would rather do other things on other nights, haha.

The thread wouldn't be nearly as fun if everybody had seen everything before.

We come back to Earth ratings-wise, but not a bad showing:

12:00AM Bleach 0.9 HH, 1.090 million
12:30AM Naruto 0.9 HH, 1.035 million
1:00AM One Piece 0.8 HH, 921,000
1:30AM Soul Eater 0.7 HH, 795,000
2:00AM IGPX: Immortal Grand Prix 0.6 HH, 714,000
2:30AM Eureka 7 0.5 HH, 647,000
3:00AM Thundercats (2011) 0.5 HH, 606,000
3:30AM Sym-Bionic Titan 0.5 HH, 567,000
4:00AM Fullmetal: Brotherhood 0.5 HH, 557,000
4:30AM Cowboy Bebop 0.4 HH, 535,000
5:00AM Inuyasha 0.5 HH, 589,000
5:30AM Inuyasha 0.4 HH, 526,000

Saturday night’s new episodes of Bleach (12 a.m.), and One Piece (1 a.m.) each ranked #1 in their respective timeslots with all targeted adults and young men, while Naruto (12:30 a.m.) and Soul Eater (1:30 a.m.) ranked #1 in their respective time periods among adults 18-24 & 18-34 and all targeted male demos.

Tenumi

Banned
Ratings look definitely respectable. Its not every week that a quad-mil is going to happen, after all. A Double-million is a fine baseline to me. Just wish Soul Eater was up a little bit.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Solid numbers, especially for a night with solid competition. Soul Eater's a little lower than I would expect, though. That should really be 800k into the millions.

Solid numbers, especially for a night with solid competition. Soul Eater's a little lower than I would expect, though. That should really be 800k into the millions.

SE was new for me, and I was half asleep by the end, Excalibur's gimmick isn't really as funny the second time.

Preble

Can't wait for that toonami online comic to hit!

I'm happy Toonami is doin well, though I still wish Young Justice/Green Lantern could make it on the block. What other western animation shows could Toonami probably show?

I'm happy Toonami is doin well, though I still wish Young Justice/Green Lantern could make it on the block. What other western animation shows could Toonami probably show?

that's about it. i imagine they'd have to pay for Batman: TAS, Justice League, etc., and that seems like money better spent elsewhere.

Raxus

They are hard at work acquiring Mega XLR which is stuck in limbo. There are tons of great animated cartoons now but nothing that fits the Toonami block that isn't a black hole of awfulness or a nightmare to get a hold of.

Apparently it will be tough, since in interviews DeMarco has mentioned how executives really don't like to mix Cartoon Network and Adult Swim, so that's why shows like Young Justice and Green Lantern are likely off limits.

But then you go, "What about Thundercats and Titan?" To which I would guess the implied message is more time needs to pass from those shows airing on CN before they might make a move to put them on Toonami. I would also wager two one-season shows (sob, Titan) didn't cause a concern.

Of course, that's just focusing on availiablity. It doesn't take into account any potential costs of airing YJ or GL.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I am willing to guess that there might be a conflict with DC over such shows appearing on the Adult Swim side of things.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
If they were going to bother with DC, I'd rather they just went straight to Batman: The Animated Series. Show is pretty damn timeless. They probably wouldn't go for it because it's not HD, though.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
If they were going to bother with DC, I'd rather they just went straight to Batman: The Animated Series. Show is pretty damn timeless. They probably wouldn't go for it because it's not HD, though.

Well, there is also the fact that BTAS is airing on The Hub.

Seda

in semi-Toonami related news, i started replaying Skyward Sword. i named Link "Urameshi."

so now every conversation with Groose is hilarious.

KuGsj.gif

I'll post this now because I may not be available this weekend. I have OT5 ready (same format, new images) which will either go up next week or the week after. I will use a suggested title and need some more suggestions - I got a few in the late Toonami hours last week when I asked, but asking again at a more reasonable point in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom