• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT4| Set Sail for One Piece!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think TOONAMI should be 12-3 am and then repeat the block. There's no sense dragging the block out w/o the shows to do so. Follow the old [adult swim] model.

Bleach
Naruto
Soul Eater
One Piece over *Thundercats
IGPX
(insert Closer show) over *Eureka 7

The closer role is very important in the past, they'd need a solid show that people would stay up for.

Seda

I totally had to look up what Laboon was because I had totally forgotten about those few episodes.

Otherwise that ranking is about how I'd do it too. I detested how Drum Island started but it got a lot better by the end.

EDIT: Drum Island was good, but it could have been great if the villain wasn't a total moron.

Moaradin

so, ranking the One Piece arcs now that i've finished Drum Island.

Arlong Park
Drum Island
Baratie
Whiskey Peak
Little Garden
Laboon
Logue Town
Captain Kuro
Buggy
Captain Morgan
Apis

I'm a little ahead of Drum Island and this is probably how I'll rank them. I just started the next arc but it's looking very promising so far.

Seda

I still think TOONAMI should be 12-3 am and then repeat the block. There's no sense dragging the block out w/o the shows to do so. Follow the old [adult swim] model.

Bleach
Naruto
Soul Eater
IGPX

The closer role is very important in the past, they'd need a solid show that people would stay up for.

Again, I'm a numbnut so bear with me. They could just have exactly what you have there, only have the second three hours be other show reruns, older shows, or 'second rate' shows like they are doing now. I think there are more people who would watch the second 3 hours in that case than if it was just repeated (like me). If the first half of the line up is stellar, then people will watch that. If the second half is just a reairing, then the ratings for that half will fall.

I guess my opinion is:

'dragged on second half' with shows that might interest some people >> repeat of first half no matter how good the shows are

Bleach
Naruto
Soul Eater
IGPX

they should get fairy tail

and then bump up IGPX.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I totally had to look up what Laboon was because I had totally forgotten about those few episodes.

Otherwise that ranking is about how I'd do it too. I detested how Drum Island started but it got a lot better by the end.

EDIT: Drum Island was good, but it could have been great if the villain wasn't a total moron.

One of the fun things about One Piece is that the villains don't always follow the obvious progression of being stronger the farther you go. Sometimes it's obvious that Luffy will be able to curbstomp a villain right from the get go. Usually this is done to underscore the shittiness of the villain's value system or a particular unsavory personality trait. Remember this is a kids' series, so sometimes a villain exists to basically say "don't be a douchebag like this guy, kids, look what happens to him!" You can see this in arcs like
Drum, Jaya, the Flying Fish Riders segment of Sabaody, and Fishman Island.

There are basically 3 main types of "villains" in One Piece:

1) Grand trolls and powerful truly evil villains -
Kuro, Don Kreig, Arlong, Crocodile, Enel, etc.

2) Luffy curbstomp fodder and joke villains -
Buggy, Mr. 3, Wapol, Bellamy, etc.

3) Noble warriors who happen to be on an opposing side -
Smoker, Wyper, etc.

Luffy curbstomp fodder is the most apt way of describing some of the villains in the show. Cracked me up, too. Sidenote: I am now obsessed. This arc is just so well put together. Every episode I see only makes me want to watch more. Starting to get really hard to adhere to my schedule.

You ain't seen nothin' yet. Hope you are enjoying the series!

Well I was spoiled in the Anime OT regarding
the lack of people dying in the present
, so it does sour things a bit knowing
that fucker Arlong is gonna live. I really hope this show does a damn good job of making sure that the return of enemy pirates are rare, especially given this show's continuing circumstance

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The nature of the show's world makes it so that the Straw Hats pretty much always have forward momentum, which means they're always going to eventually leave things behind in favor of new things. This isn't like Bleach or Naruto or Inuyasha (or even Soul Eater or Fullmetal Alchemist) where everything is centered around a central hub and thus all the same characters are always logically not too far away. The world of One Piece is constantly in motion.

That said, other characters may have forward momentum of their own, and
sometimes paths cross again farther down the line (sometimes MUCH farther down the line).

You've already met some characters that you will be seeing again. You've also met plenty of characters you will (probably) never see again. And they might not be the ones you would expect.

Raxus

The nature of the show's world makes it so that the Straw Hats pretty much always have forward momentum, which means they're always going to eventually leave things behind in favor of new things. This isn't like Bleach or Naruto or Inuyasha (or even Soul Eater or Fullmetal Alchemist) where everything is centered around a central hub and thus all the same characters are always logically not too far away. The world of One Piece is constantly in motion.

That said, other characters may have forward momentum of their own, and
sometimes paths cross again farther down the line (sometimes MUCH farther down the line).

You've already met some characters that you will be seeing again. You've also met plenty of characters you will (probably) never see again. And they might not be the ones you would expect.

Speaking obliquely about the manga
I am still meeting characters I NEVER expected to meet again :p

they should get fairy tail

and then bump up IGPX.

Heh heh, out of all the times i've agreed on Fairy Tail on Toonami, i'm not sure this time. I liked the first 48 but then when I " attempted " to watch the dub, I just couldn't.

Still an awesome anime, no blood, but similar to DBZ, One Piece character designs, uh, stuff like that. I'm not keeping up anymore, after I watch the movie, I kiss it goodbye.

I wonder of one of yall have the outline or at least a picture of the new absolution? Im working on something.

You have quite a few screencaps you can get of it. It may blend too much with space to outline out.

Moaradin

god, what happened to the One Piece endings? the first two were great. then the next three were completely mediocre. and now the sixth one is TERRIBLE

I haven't really cared for any of the ending themes. The openings however are a different story. I loved the first one but the second one suuuuuuuuucks. I've been on that one for ages it feels like.

I haven't really cared for any of the ending themes. The openings however are a different story. I loved the first one but the second one suuuuuuuuucks. I've been on that one for ages it feels like.

wut, this second one? that one's awesome ;-;

Andrex said:
Is it BARK BARK levels?

i dunno, but the sixth one is some of the most awkwardly dubbed shit i've ever heard

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Naked Robin is not mediocre.

true, but those three seconds can't redeem the whole thing.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Don't worry, they cut them all together at some point.

Episode 278 is the last episode with an ending theme.

Crap, I just realized we might not get Crazy Rainbow Star. It's by Tackey & Tsubasa, the same duo behind "Mirai Kokai", the ending theme that Funimation couldn't get.

MikeMyers

I have an old Dragonball GT single DVD from about 2004 (its the last one in the series) because someone wanted to see the montage at the end.

I put it in...

....AND I SEE AN AD FOR TENCHI MUYO GXP

O_O

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I love the second opening.

It might be because that's where I started the show, it might be stockholm syndrome.

Also did someone just call the fourth ending mediocre? Bah!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I have an old Dragonball GT single DVD from about 2004 (its the last one in the series) because someone wanted to see the montage at the end.

I put it in...

....AND I SEE AN AD FOR TENCHI MUYO GXP

O_O

Why would they make a GPX commercial? WHY?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The fifth opening, which is exactly where toonami is picking up, is the best opening.

Did they finally get around to dubbing it? Not that it matters as the Japanese version is going to be better almost by default.

I like all the English openings and most of the endings, though the fourth one does grate after awhile.

The bit with Gold Rodger is good. It's the singing part that I don't like.

It's such a good song, though. I love the singing and the visuals.

I also might have some nostalgia associated from my first experience with One Piece being horribly translated versions of the Laboon and Whiskey Peak episodes circa 2001.

But for me: Believe>We Are>Share the World>Brand New World>everything else (I'm way too lazy to list out all of the One Piece openings, and I don't even remember some of them that well)

Seda

The third opening starts around 115 and it's definitely not as annoying as the third second and doesn't have anything dubbed as weirdly as "wonderland".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom