• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT4| Set Sail for One Piece!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

If somebody wants to make a new show ending dates list I'll add it to the OP.

Also: Accepting thread title name suggestions for One Piece debut.

I thought my "Toonami |OT4| Who's ready for One Piece? We Are!" was good but nobody quoted it so...

awkward.

"Toonami |OT4| We're king of the pirates! *banned*"
"Toonami |OT4| Now with Pirates, Ninjas and Giant Robots!"

Eh, I'll throw in my nomination:

Toonami |OT4| Dreamin', Don't Give It Up Tenchi
x31cCA2.gif

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
is there ever filler that doesn't do its best to try to make me feel bad about side characters nobody cares about?

Yes, the G-8 Arc doesn't really have much of that. That will be the last thing you see before you catch up to Toonami, too.

As I approach the end of Alabasta, I have skipped all filler up to now, and note there's some more up ahead. Will I really miss anything if I continue that route?

As I approach the end of Alabasta, I have skipped all filler up to now, and note there's some more up ahead. Will I really miss anything if I continue that route?

Only things in the filler that are "canon" that you need to know are

Logueport: Usopp new goggles are canon, the story of how he got them isn't (he just bought them in the manga). To be fair though I believe it was a story Oda wrote for the manga but cut for pacing reasons.

Apis: The introduction and explanation of the calm belt, the reason for why the crew ends up there is different and it's Usopp instead of Apis who almost falls off the ship.

Alabasta: Ace giving Luffy a Vivre Card, in the manga he gives it to him either before or after he destroys all the Baroque Works ships.

Can't think of any other changes that someone would miss if they skip filler, there are filler in episodes that you can't really skip and events are changed from the manga to anime but it's nothing too critical.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Logueport: Usopp new goggles are canon, the story of how he got them isn't (he just bought them in the manga). To be fair though I believe it was a story Oda wrote for the manga but cut for pacing reasons.

Apis: The introduction and explanation of the calm belt, the reason for why the crew ends up there is different and it's Usopp instead of Apis who almost falls off the ship.

Alabasta: Ace giving Luffy
a Vivre Card
, in the manga he gives it to him either before or after he destroys all the Baroque Works ships.

Can't think of any other changes that someone would miss if they skip filler, there are filler in episodes that you can't really skip and events are changed from the manga to anime but it's nothing too critical.

Might want to spoiler mark that (or change the wording). They don't reveal what that was for a looooong time.

Anyway, if you're near the end of Arabasta, you can safely skip the filler from 131-143. Nothing happens in them that's relevant except for the very last minute of 143, which gets quickly recapped at the start of 144 anyway. There is no more filler after that until 196-206, which has nothing canon in it (but is actually a pretty decent arc and by far the best filler in the entire series).

Might want to spoiler mark that (or change the wording). They don't reveal what that was for a looooong time.

Anyway, if you're near the end of Arabasta, you can safely skip the filler from 131-143. Nothing happens in them that's relevant except for the very last minute of 143, which gets quickly recapped at the start of 144 anyway. There is no more filler after that until 196-206, which has nothing canon in it (but is actually a pretty decent arc and by far the best filler in the entire series).

I'm not really sure that's worthy of being hidden, when it comes up again it's also explained how it works. Simply knowing its name isn't a spoiler at all

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
This is the Toonami thread, not the One Piece thread. If it didn't come from the first 206 episodes, it's not fair game, at least not without spoiler tags. It's not a big deal since this is a pretty minor thing that doesn't reveal much of anything in particular, but the fact is that it is supposed to be a complete and total mystery what the thing even is at this point in the series. Let's try not to pollute this thread with information that comes from deeper in the series than the Toonami run.

Seda

This is the Toonami thread, not the One Piece thread. If it didn't come from the first 206 episodes, it's not fair game, at least not without spoiler tags. It's not a big deal since this is a pretty minor thing that doesn't reveal much of anything in particular, but the fact is that it is supposed to be a complete and total mystery what the thing even is at this point in the series. Let's try not to pollute this thread with information that comes from deeper in the series than the Toonami run.

We should probably be more strict on Naruto spoilers too. At least I'd like us to be. There are a handful of people watching it for the first time. Nothing major has been spoiled but people are talking pretty loosely about later events.

I get that, but it's not even a spoiler, it's not like it tells them what it does or why it's important. If someone is willing to search for what it does they probably don't care about spoilers anyway. Heck most people are likely to forget it exist by the time it has any real semblance of importance to the plot especially if toonami only does one episode per week.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
We should probably be more strict on Naruto spoilers too. At least I'd like us to be. There are a handful of people watching it for the first time. Nothing major has been spoiled but people are talking pretty loosely about later events.

We really should. It gets out of hand sometimes. It was pretty annoying with Soul Eater earlier in the series, too, but that seems to have cooled off since we met Excalibur.

And supremely annoying with Thundercats.

Heck most people are likely to forget it exist by the time it has any real semblance of importance to the plot especially if toonami only does one episode per week.
Ah, the old "people who haven't seen it yet are so brain dead they couldn't POSSIBLY put things together or remember things they heard in the past!" excuse. Always a classic. By the way,
the name does hint at some of its actual abilities. You know "vivre" is a real word, right?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
We really should. It gets out of hand sometimes. It was pretty annoying with Soul Eater earlier in the series, too, but that seems to have cooled off since we met Excalibur.

And supremely annoying with Thundercats.

Lets be real though, it's not like it's that good. Plus after it's already aired on Toonami once the whole thing should be fair game.

Necrovex

Logueport was filler? Holy shit, I loved that arc.

Logueport was filler? Holy shit, I loved that arc.

The arc has a lot of filler in it, but the arc itself is canon. Check the wiki for all the differences the few I remember off hand

-How usopp got his goggles was filler (the goggles are canon thought)
-sanji cook off battle was filler
-luffy getting lost for 5 episodes was all filler
-in the manga sanji fights smoker with luffy

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If I remember right the loguetown filler was based off of notes Oda had for Loguetown that got cut which explains why it fits in so nicely.

Quick question regarding the 3rd OP on One Piece: How long should I wait to see it so I don't watch the major spoiler?
Episode 130. Anywho, there's such a big difference between filler crap and the actual canon stuff. Now that the filler is done I can't stop watching.

FAKE EDIT: Now that I think about it, wait till 131. Makes more sense that way.

I would have been pissed about that spoiler if I didn't already know. It's kinda hard to NOT get spoiled at this point.

I don't remember if I was pissed about the spoiler way back when or not. What with 4Kids going under and having One Piece switch dub studios it makes it confusing to recall what i've seen.

I still wish I could have been unspoiled, but the shits all over promotional art for One Piece everywhere.

Yuuuup. I'm actually pretty impressed that there are people who haven't been spoiled on this show. I gave up on watching One Piece years ago and I still knew about (Warning: Major spoilers. Metatron-level knowledge only)
Franky and Brook joining the crew.

Moaradin

Yuuuup. I'm actually pretty impressed that there are people who haven't been spoiled on this show. I gave up on watching One Piece years ago and I still knew about (Warning: Major spoilers. Metatron-level knowledge only)
Franky and Brook joining the crew.

Shit, I even know about those and they are (presumably) hundreds of episodes away from where I'm at.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The problem is really that the Straw Hats are ALL the main protagonists (just with Luffy as the main main), unlike say Naruto in, uh, Naruto or Ichigo in Bleach. So when a new one joins the crew, they immediately become front and center and get their faces on everything. They become one of the faces of the franchise pretty much instantaneously.

Plus at this point the crew has basically been settled into its current formation for a good 5 years or so, so even the stuff that's hundreds of episodes past where Toonami is starting is already old news. :D

The problem is really that the Straw Hats are ALL the main protagonists (just with Luffy as the main main), unlike say Naruto in, uh, Naruto or Ichigo in Bleach. So when a new one joins the crew, they immediately become front and center and get their faces on everything. They become one of the faces of the franchise pretty much instantaneously.

Plus at this point the crew has basically been settled into its current formation for a good 5 years or so, so even the stuff that's hundreds of episodes past where Toonami is starting is already old news. :D

Makes sense. Also, I laughed at just how many episodes there are. One Piece will be on Toonami well into my mid to late 20's.

Ratings time.

Bleach: 1,138,000, 0.47 18-49
Naruto: 977,000, 0.40
Soul Eater: 925,000, 0.39
Thundercats: 822,000, 0.35
IGPX: 776,000, 0.31
Eureka 7: 735,000, 0.32
GXP: 710,000, 0.31
Titan: 659,000, 0.31
FMAB: 625,000, 0.30
Bebop: 602,000, 0.27
InuYasha (5 AM): 623,000, 0.25