• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT4| Set Sail for One Piece!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

In a just world we would have

One Piece
Soul Eater
Bleach
Naruto

I still really want an hour of One Piece but funi has been slow with the dubs. Hopefully Toonami rekindles its popularity in the US.

Nearly everyone who is catching up to it is loving it so that is a great sign, despite the gaps.

Mark my words. By the end of this arc nobody is going to watch Bleach. There are several reasons for this that we will get to when the time comes. Oh and it is coming.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
well, the second one takes most advantage of the ratings for Toonami generally sliding downwards by sort of organizing them in terms of popularity

I think Soul Eater has much more ratings potential in the short term if it was feeding right off of Bleach's lead in than it would at the end of the pack, though. Naruto is going to bring its own core audience pretty much on its own. These are like 8 year old episodes pulling in around a million viewers a week, after all.

One Piece is a bit of a question mark because of how it has been handled on TV here in the past, so it probably needs the lead-in help to get established.

I feel like swapping Soul Eater and Naruto probably has more potential than the current configuration, but the current configuration is kind of a known quantity and is doing well as it is, so I don't see them changing it.

I think Soul Eater has much more ratings potential in the short term if it was feeding right off of Bleach's lead in than it would at the end of the pack, though. Naruto is going to bring its own core audience pretty much on its own. These are like 8 year old episodes pulling in around a million viewers a week, after all.

One Piece is a bit of a question mark because of how it has been handled on TV here in the past, so it probably needs the lead-in help to get established.

I feel like swapping Soul Eater and Naruto probably has more potential than the current configuration, but the current configuration is kind of a known quantity and is doing well as it is, so I don't see them changing it.

well Naruto is a more "casual" show, i think, so even though it does have its audience of fans the question is how many casual viewers are going to stick around even if you just move it 30 minutes later, let alone an hour? i think this would be perfectly viable if we had the 11pm hour, but without it i'm pretty skeptical

Just to add to the Soul Eater talk.

Turner PR said:
All new episodes that premiered during the action-adventure Toonami block – including Bleach, Naruto, Soul Eater, and Tenchi Muyo! GXP earned mostly double and triple-digit increases across key adult and men demos vs. the same time period last year. Additionally, Soul Eater (Saturday, 1 a.m.) was #1 in its timeslot with men 18-24 & 18-34.

It's weird seeing such a disparity between Bleach and Naruto. Usually they're not that far apart. Guess nobody wanted to see Kabuto and his magic cards. Soul Eater's number isn't that bad. It's pretty much in-line with what we're used to. Also, dat 102,000 drop from SE to Thundercats. That show needs to go. Gotta wonder how this week's ratings for GXP will look like. Do people care that it's ending?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's weird seeing such a disparity between Bleach and Naruto. Usually they're not that far apart. Guess nobody wanted to see Kabuto and his magic cards. Soul Eater's number isn't that bad. It's pretty much in-line with what we're used to. Also, dat 102,000 drop from SE to Thundercats. That show needs to go. Gotta wonder how this week's ratings for GXP will look like. Do people care that it's ending?

Yes. So thankful.

LycanXIII

I'm not a fan of the front being loaded with shows that will take years to finish. Maybe if it was every other show (Bleach/Soul Eater/Naruto/IGPX/One Piece) but it seems to me that it takes the attention away from the shorter shows. Yeah, they get ratings, but make the ratings last instead of dumping them after the first hour.

Do people care that it's ending?

I haven't watched GXP since week 1, so you can mark me as a "no."

I'm not a fan of the front being loaded with shows that will take years to finish. Maybe if it was every other show (Bleach/Soul Eater/Naruto/IGPX/One Piece) but it seems to me that it takes the attention away from the shorter shows. Yeah, they get ratings, but make the ratings last instead of dumping them after the first hour.

I don't see a problem with it. The "known" shows (hopefully) bring in the viewers with the schedule staying steady, which (hopefully) keeps them around for the shows later on.

And it's not like they won't make adjustments if needed.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's hard to say, OP may bring in a new audience who want to see the English dub on TV. As long as SE stays at >850k then it should be fine

If anything it might help ratings in the long run. It depends on how audiences take to it this time and if they can shrug off the memory of the 4kids dub.

Jintor

Bigger Naruto drop off surprisingly.

Bleach keeps on stacking those ratings no matter how much you guys dislike it, lol.

It's the only reason I accept its existance

Aizen is obviously using his shikai to convince the majority of the audience that it's a good show

wwm0nkey

So anyone else hoping Attack on Titan comes to Toonami? It seems like the perfect fit and everyone is loving it so far it seems.

One Piece filler episodes in general are completely terrible. It doesn't get as much hate as Naruto because they never had so many of them in a row, but there's a special level in hell for whoever was responsible for the majority of those.

The Apis arc has one of the biggest fuck yous in the history of anime, when
they spend an entire fucking episode journeying to another island, only to learn 'oh wait, there's nothing here and the place we were looking for was on the island we were back at to begin with'.

Seda

no it's the one where Luffy, Zoro, and Chopper get separated from the rest of the crew and everyone literally talks for the entirety of the episode.

Oh yes.

Also awful.

Who am I kidding, all the Alabasta filler was awful. The post-Alabasta filler is even worse though.

Moaradin

no it's the one where Luffy, Zoro, and Chopper get separated from the rest of the crew and everyone literally talks for the entirety of the episode.

I thought all the filler in the Alabasta arc (there were only like 3-4 episodes) were pretty inoffensive. I didn't mind them that much. That's true for most of the filler I've seen so far actually. The only one that I felt was a chore watching was the Apis one.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oh yes.

Also awful.

Who am I kidding, all the Alabasta filler was awful. The post-Alabasta filler is even worse though.

Well compared to the really good arcs it is. I've never actually seen the arc we're going to get on Toonami animated before. It should be fun.

Seda

I'm at 191 (Almost there...)

When you get a splinter stuck in your fingernail~

A piece of paper cuts your knuckles..

Five canker sores inflame your gums!

/Usopp

Seda

Seda, you making me look bad here. How are you already at that point?

I picked up my pace. I'm kinda at the point now where I want to get the marathonning over with, even though we have 11 days left, just so I don't have have to worry about it anymore. I also have more time recently thanks to finals being over. So glad I don't have to grade undergrad finals this year.

I picked up my pace. I'm kinda at the point now where I want to get the marathonning over with, even though we have 11 days left, just so I don't have have to worry about it anymore. I also have more time recently thanks to finals being over. So glad I don't have to grade undergrad finals this year.

Ahh. I see you're making good use of you free time.

so, they made it to Yuba....

tumblr_m7jtjq1q2G1qfz1s5.gif

Seda

all. the. bullshit. this better be fixed within the next few episodes.

The next part (location name)
Rainbase
is a lot better. I'm certain I posted similar thoughts when I finished the early parts of Alabasta.

Up to 116.....HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

Right in the fucking chest/gut! All those other big bads that faced Luffy are child's play compared to Crocodile. Bird guy better hurry up and fill Luffy with lots and lots of meat! And bring some water to the Kingdom as well

And I didn't watch the 3rd OP, but I think I have a pretty clear idea of what the major spoiler is. The DVD covers for One Piece Collection 7 & 8.....I still remember who's shown on both of them. Whether I'm right or wrong, I'll still wait until 131 to see the OP

Finally back in the dubbed episodes, just wrapped up 115.

Just as I was about to finally decide Usopp was a character I could do without, he goes and mans up after taking an absurd beating and brings me back in. I don't know if I like the somewhat quick ending to that fight, but I'm glad to see Miss Merry Christmas get her comeuppance.

Not to nickpick, but why didn't the Princess go straight to the Royal Army opposed to thinking that she could stop the entire Rebel army by being a traffic cop?

Also, when did Sanji become THIS bad-ass? Though I did like the quick cuts from "F You" to "NAMMMMMIII" when Mr. 2 did his face-off technique.

So, say I don't finish this run before next Saturday night, will I be totally screwed and confused?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom