• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT5| If we die in this thread, we die in real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Dragged from the depths of the neogaf archives (thx to Jarmel):

Originally Posted by duckroll

Sword Art Online - Episode 4

This series is really not what I expected from ep1, but I also think the direction they're going is kinda interesting. It suits me a lot better than what I initially expected. Instead of a typical story where the main character learns about the game as he plays and levels up and forms a permanent group of friends and allies to grow stronger with, they're approaching this from a very different point of view.

Kirito seems to be more of a superhero/legend/god character, and the show only introduces him in the first two episodes in a way so people know who he is and how the rules and circumstances of the MMO world originated. After that, it seems to have abandoned all linear progression, instead trying to tell stories within the world which happen to involve Kirito. It's a pretty unique approach.

I don't know how long the anime will keep up with this sort of narrative, but I don't really mind it at all. Having episodic stories like this feels more like a western comic, which makes it pretty different imo. What I *do* mind though, is how much pandering is going on. All these damsels in distress are anime waifu archetypes, and this week's imouto crap is really infuriating. I can't believe they kept doing the "omg panties" joke too. Argh! But the plot "twist" at the end with Kirito's actual plan was pretty good though.

I wonder what next week's episode will be about...

I thought it was funny considering the discussion had at the beginning of the night :p

LycanXIII

Wasn't their a prequel movie before this series? Guess I should have watched that lol

It was the first three episodes of the series, combined into a movie.

Jabba's son is kidnapped to get the Hutt's to join the Separatists. Anakin and Ahsoka then go on an adventure to find him.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, I can't even muster the sheer emotional hatred to get me through this early Clone Wars shit. I am out for the night.

Jintor

I don't know, I've read a lot of Star Wars shit. A heap of their extended universe novels are absolute horseshit. This at least looks okay and is decently animated. But yeah... not staying up for this.

And by 'staying up' i mean 'throwing it up on the other monitor', because it's only 5 in the afternoon where I am.

Don't ask how I'm watching Toonami

I don't know, I've read a lot of Star Wars shit. A heap of their extended universe novels are absolute horseshit. This at least looks okay and is decently animated. But yeah... not staying up for this.

Yeah but some of the expanded verse books are pretty fantastic, there's a galaxy of star wars expanded verse stories it can be hard to find the good from the shit but there are some pretty awesome stories to read

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Rookies, that's what I was thinking of. That was a legitimately good episode, and it's not that far in. Episode 5. Don't remember anything being good before that, though.

Jintor

Yeah but some of the expanded verse books are pretty fantastic, there's a galaxy of star wars expanded verse stories it can be hard to find the good from the shit but there are some pretty awesome stories to read

I hear the comics are okay, but in terms of novels, the only ones I like are Tim Zahn's stuff, most of the X-Wing books, and... uh... the Correlian saga is okay.

Rookies, that's what I was thinking of. That was a legitimately good episode, and it's not that far in. Episode 5. Don't remember anything being good before that, though.

Sounds like the TV Equivilent of the Republic Commando game.

You know what I want to see? A modern updated CG Starship Troopers. I remember that Animated Series being fucking rad as balls.

Seda

Also, I'm not sure what this battle is all about exactly. To gain favor for that flying royalty guy to join the republic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom