• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT5| If we die in this thread, we die in real life

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still need to watch the OG FMA... and FMA B I've only read the manga but the manga ending was fantastic.

i really like both of them, but the original FMA gets the nod simply because the episodes that stick to the manga in the beginning aren't horribly rushed.

some people do really hate the way it ends, though.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
i don't remember your point being that Bones wrote something superior to its source material.
If your point is that the first FMA anime is better than Brotherhood, maybe you might have an argument. If your point is that the first FMA anime is better than the source material, then you're out of your goddamned mind.

Tenumi

Banned
tumblr_lofruqaott1qmbpbxo1_400.gif

Its so mesmerizing...

If your point is that the first FMA anime is better than Brotherhood, maybe you might have an argument. If your point is that the first FMA anime is better than the source material, then you're out of your goddamned mind.

yeah i did mean Brotherhood. whoops.

Cwarrior said:
Hard to answer your question when we don't know the episode your comparing to each other.

Different animation directors on rota they take turns each episode, each one own style becomes more apparent later on when there given more freedom.

i don't really wanna go back and figure out the episode numbers, but there's a pretty distinct art shift in some episodes going on that just looks...sloppy. Nami suffers the worst of it. any animation directors that got put on the shit list?

Seda

Metalocalypse? Pass, not really my thing. See you at midnight for Blech.

And I've given my stance on FMA several times now. I have started to read the manga! I am a whole 2 chapters in.

Raxus

i don't really wanna go back and figure out the episode numbers, but there's a pretty distinct art shift in some episodes going on that just looks...sloppy. Nami suffers the worst of it. any animation directors that got put on the shit list?
I think I know what you are referring to. It improves later but the one piece ladies tend to get the short end of the stick when it comes to cheap animation. Things really improve as the arc goes forward.

Cwarrior

The man that wrote the FMA fillers/original content like it's ending & fma shambala the real movie ending was Shou aikawa the man went on to [sarcasm]write such fantastic works like Eureka 7: Astral Ocean, and Un-Go.[/sarcasm]

If you loved what shou aikawa did to full metal alchemist in his filler half and maybe even thought it was better then the original author & creator Hiromu Arakawa work then your going to love shou aikwawa latest work Eureka 7: Astral Ocean and Un-Go,lets cross our fingers and hope both come to toonami.

I think I know what you are referring to. It improves later but the one piece ladies tend to get the short end of the stick when it comes to cheap animation. Things really improve as the arc goes forward.

that's good. i'm not usually one to pay a huge amount of attention to the animation, but damn it's been distracting.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The man that wrote the FMA fillers/original content like it's ending & fma shambala the real movie ending was Shou aikawa the man went on to [sarcasm]write such fantastic works like Eureka 7: Astral Ocean, and Un-Go.[/sarcasm]

If you loved what shou aikawa did to full metal alchemist in his filler half and maybe even thought it was better then the original author & creator Hiromu Arakawa work then your going to love shou aikwawa latest work Eureka 7: Astral Ocean and Un-Go,lets cross our fingers and hope both come to toonami.

That's too cruel.

FMA has a great second half, filler or no. It and Trigun are basically the only anime that deviated from the source material that ever ended up being any damn good. Filler junk killed off Kenshin and nearly did the deed for Naruto and there are vast swaths of other anime ruined by going off the rails.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't think so, I believe Disney has the rights for a while. I could be wrong though; I'm sure somebody else here is more knowledgeable on the subject (batdan? meta? seda? gman?)

Considering how long they've had the rights so far and how long we have until we reach that point, I'd say it could very well happen. It just depends on the length of the contract Disney signed, I doubt they'll want to renew it since they can't actually air it.

That's too cruel.

FMA has a great second half, filler or no. It and Trigun are basically the only anime that deviated from the source material that ever ended up being any damn good. Filler junk killed off Kenshin and nearly did the deed for Naruto and there are vast swaths of other anime ruined by going off the rails.

what i don't understand about Naruto is that it comes at the end of the series. could they not have just STOPPED the show until it had enough for them to start animating post-timeskip?

Raxus

what i don't understand about Naruto is that it comes at the end of the series. could they not have just STOPPED the show until it had enough for them to start animating post-timeskip?
They like to strike when the iron is hot. Sadly this is at the cost of pacing. One Piece, Soul Eater, Bleach and Inuyasha all pay the price until most took a break or switched to one chapter episodes.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They just won't do that for whatever reason. Possibly Naruto was a lesson for Bleach though, though it seems to be more like Inuyasha in execution.

Ponn

Banned
I like Dethklok so will be here, looks like Bleach is another filler? Ugh.

Got my snack picked out already, Garlic Roasted Hummus and Jalapeno-jack Pretzel Chips - BELIEVE IT!

They like to strike when the iron is hot. Sadly this is at the cost of pacing. One Piece, Soul Eater, Bleach and Inuyasha all pay the price until most took a break or switched to one chapter episodes.

well, i mean, with such a clear divide, was it even really necessary to do all the filler as opposed to just stopping for a while?

but then again, i imagine the filler kept the cash rolling in

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight on Toonami, can you believe there's still more of this shit on Bleach, Sakura tries to act like she serves a purpose, the Davy Back Fight finally comes to a close with the conclusion of the Round and Round Roller Race, I don't know if we can even handle Maka going all in on Crona and Ragnarok right now, Takeshi and River settle the score and lay it all on the line to earn the right to take on Team Velstein in the final, Dominic completes his face turn, Tygra proves to be a colossal dick, the Galalunians respond to an emergency in space, Major General Armstrong lives up to her reputation, Bebop teaches a lesson, and another incarnation of Naraku starts wandering around.

12:00 - Bleach - 305 - Delusion Roars! Hisagi, To the Hot Springs Inn!
12:30 - Naruto - 32 - Sakura Blossoms!
1:00 - One Piece - 214 - A Seriously Heated Race! Into the Final Round!
1:30 - Soul Eater - 20 - The Black Blood Resonance Battle! – A Small Soul's Grand Struggle Against Fear?
2:00 - IGPX - 11 - And Then...
2:30 - Eureka seveN - 45 - Don't You Want Me?
3:00 - Thundercats - 13 - Between Brothers
3:30 - Sym-Bionic Titan - 18 - A Family Crisis
4:00 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 34 - Ice Queen
4:30 - Cowboy Bebop - 11 - Toys in the Attic
5:00 - Inuyasha - 69 - Terror of the Faceless Man
5:30 - Inuyasha - 70 - Onigumo's Memory Restored

IGPX has a pretty catch OP and is getting pretty enjoyable, I wish it focused more on racing instead of faffing about outside the tracks

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The first FMA anime falls apart after the halfway mark. The strong parts of the show are the mustang comic relief, the choreography of the greed fight(s), and the drawn out nina stuff

There's tons of filler which draws the first 8-10 chapters of the manga out to about 25 episodes, and then there's a very loose adaptation of the greed arc (which, to be honest, was about as loosely adapted by Brotherhood), and then about 15-20 episodes of rose baby rape, angst, and hohenheim revealing that he ran away from his family because he hated how he looked (WTF?).

Thing is, the first FMA had a staff providing S-tier production values and episode directing,, and there's an appearance of a strong central narrative over the course of the first 10-15 episodes when it's really episodic filler consisting of re-arranged manga chapters and a whole bunch of original sidestories (the fake elric brothers, majihal, psiren, etc).

Brotherhood's problem is that it's full of inexperienced C-team staff and completely inconsistent in its pacing, so it feels like it's going through the motions, skipping all the essential character development in the process, until the ep 45-50 mark, where they finally slow down and start adapting the manga faithfully and completely.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
IGPX has a pretty catch OP and is getting pretty enjoyable, I wish it focused more on racing instead of faffing about outside the tracks

Are you watching the Japanese version?
The English version doesn't have an OP, it has Peter Cullen narration.

Pretty normal for Metalocalypse.
... Actually this one is pretty brutal even by their standards. But nowhere near as bad as the fashion episode.

It's been a while since I've watched Metalocalypse, heh.

Your new avatar is great, Seven Force.

Thanks. I really like those new Mickey shorts. (I see you finally decided on a tag, too!)

Oh, speaking of Disney, I finally got around to watching Gravity Falls. Great stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom