• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT5| If we die in this thread, we die in real life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evo definitely will, it's 3:05 AM EST and I'm still up watching A SSB Melee stream lol. Great matches today, especially in Street Fighter. That Laugh v Infiltrator match was filled with so much drama, I think I need an adult to handle it all.

Moaradin

Finished SOA. I can definitely see the weird stuff some people were talking about, but the show is still pretty good. First part is clearly better but the second part wasn't bad.

Definitely interested in the English dub on Toonami now. I wonder if they'll change anything to make certain things less weird.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Saw Pacific Rim last night. It was really good. I saw elements of Big O, Sym-Bionic Titan, and Megas XLR all in there. You guys need to see it if you haven't already.

So I won manager of the month at work the other day... Even though I have been to work in over a week thanks to my injury lol. Won $75 dollars so I guess I'll see Pacific Rim tonight.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I still don't understand why some shows get full opens at all. I would think they'd want to trim them all so as to maximize ad time and/or other stuff. Maybe it's a rule they have to follow with Bleach?

Not that I like cutting opens/endings, but it makes sense at least and anime opens/ends are pretty long.
Bleach has actual show content cut from it every single week, which is why it has time for a full OP.

Naruto is just a shorter show than most of the others. It also had no fewer than 4 commercial breaks when it aired in Japan, from what I remember from watching it on TV over there (after the OP, at the midpoint, before the ED, and before the next episode preview).

One Piece, Soul Eater, and Eureka are all pretty average length, so a cutdown OP and ED fits them in pretty nicely (it will be interesting to see what happens when One Piece loses its EDs late next year). IGPX, Thundercats, and Sym-Bionic Titan were designed with US TV in mind. Fullmetal Alchemist episodes are about average length but the actual show content is frequently oversized for its time slot due to shenanigans mostly with the EDs, requiring show content to be cut.

Cowboy Bebop airs its full OP at the expense of losing its ED entirely.

Inuyasha is also relatively short like Naruto, so it can fit in a full OP or ED.

Big O is going to almost certainly have no OP or ED at all on Toonami, unless things have changed.

IIRC Bleach and Naruto have bonus skits at the end of episodes that are cut in the American versions, giving them more time even with cut endings. Then again the American Naruto opening is only a minute, I think. Bleach is the only one with the full 1:30 (except Bebop, I think?)

Plus Viz likely realizes the openings are all really Bleach is good for anyways.

they said the show that starts the block would always get a full opening.

Finished SOA. I can definitely see the weird stuff some people were talking about, but the show is still pretty good. First part is clearly better but the second part wasn't bad.

Definitely interested in the English dub on Toonami now. I wonder if they'll change anything to make certain things less weird.

*do not read the tag if you haven't seen SAO yet, you have been warned*

Exactly my thoughts.
It's a tad melodramatic and the hints at incest in part II are creepy but
overall I really enjoyed SOA. I think it's going to do very well on toonami.

Seda

*do not read the tag if you haven't seen SAO yet, you have been warned*

Exactly my thoughts.
It's a tad melodramatic and the hints at incest in part II are creepy but
overall I really enjoyed SOA. I think it's going to do very well on toonami.

I'm not going to remove this spoiler because...it's barely a spoiler. But just be aware I'll probably remove posts talking about plot points that haven't aired yet - even if tagged. No reason for them to be discussed in this thread yet until everybody here can join in the discussion.

Also, I may be a little late tonight, going to a cookout and not sure how long that'll last.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Saw Pacific Rim last night. It was really good. I saw elements of Big O, Sym-Bionic Titan, and Megas XLR all in there. You guys need to see it if you haven't already.

It felt a lot like Eva from what I saw.

Oh, I probably won't be here tonight. I could really use the sleep.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
they said the show that starts the block would always get a full opening.

Which is a bullshit answer. If they moved any of the other shows that have cut OPs up to the lead off spot, they still wouldn't have full OPs because the tapes themselves don't have full OPs, and somehow I doubt they're going to get all new master tapes produced for a time slot change.

They just gave that answer because Bleach is still going to be there for at least a year and a half and may even stay in that slot into reruns.

Tamanon

Banned
Bleach is the consistently strongest show and gets the perks. Hell, it's one of the main reasons Toonami was able to come back.

I'm not going to remove this spoiler because...it's barely a spoiler. But just be aware I'll probably remove posts talking about plot points that haven't aired yet - even if tagged. No reason for them to be discussed in this thread yet until everybody here can join in the discussion.

Also, I may be a little late tonight, going to a cookout and not sure how long that'll last.

I'm not sure how I feel about that policy, spoiler tags are there for a reason and people need to have the self control to not highlight them. Otherwise, what's the point of even having that feature on GAF?

Most of the shows on toonami completed their runs long ago and have been seen by a lot of us regulars participating in the thread. Why stifle potential discussion for those of us who have seen these anime already and want to share our opinions with one another? I get it, you want to make sure that people go into the toonami runs fresh and spoiler free but once again that comes down to proper tagging and self control. There's a clear difference between baiting someone into highlighting a plot point they might not want revealed with faux hype and having a properly tagged discussion.

I think you're going to have to toe a fine line here Seda. Start deleting every post you deem spoiler worthy and discussion is going to stifle, especially the 6 days of the week toonami isn't on the air.

Really I feel like this is a slippery slope. When people ask questions about how much filler is left or if posters comment about how the "best part" or "best character" is coming up next (things we frequently see here), are you going to start deleting those posts too? I think there needs to be more of an emphasis on proper tagging and self moderation rather than just pulling comments, but that's just me. Ultimately it's up to you I guess. I just want to make sure this thread remains as fun and insightful in the future as it has been since OT1.

EDIT: Not trying to sound melodramatic or attack you either btw. We need some clear guidelines on this type of thing. Maybe we could come up with some rules and add them to the OT?

Seda

I'm not sure how I feel about that policy, spoiler tags are there for a reason and people need to have the self control to not highlight them. Otherwise, what's the point of even having that feature on GAF?

Most of the shows on toonami completed their runs long ago and have been seen by a lot of us regulars participating in the thread. Why stifle potential discussion for those of us who have seen these anime already and want to share our opinions with one another? I get it, you want to make sure that people go into the toonami runs fresh and spoiler free but once again that comes down to proper tagging and self control. There's a clear difference between baiting someone into highlighting a plot point they might not want revealed with faux hype and having a properly tagged discussion.

I think you're going to have to toe a fine line here Seda. Start deleting every post you deem spoiler worthy and discussion is going to stifle, especially the 6 days of the week toonami isn't on the air.

Really I feel like this is a slippery slope. When people ask questions about how much filler is left or if posters comment about how the "best part" or "best character" is coming up next (things we frequently see here), are you going to start deleting those posts too? I think there needs to be more of an emphasis on proper tagging and self moderation rather than just pulling comments, but that's just me. Ultimately it's up to you I guess. I just want to make sure this thread remains as fun and insightful in the future as it has been since OT1.

Don't worry, I haven't even done anything yet. I don't want to be a hardass (I'm definitely not even close to that type of person!) There are times when spoilers mentioned I think are unnecessary and times when they are acceptable. It's not like I'm going to remove every hint of discussion if it is content set in future episodes, but I ultimately will probably remove some. I get what your are saying. If someone asks a question and someone replies with a spoilered answer, I think it is fine, But if a major spoiler is brought up for no good reason? I'll have to think about it.

Honestly, I don't think it's as a big deal as I might have come across in earlier posts of mine. Most of the time I think the thread is pretty good about this usually. There have been just the occasional instances of a spoiler being unnecessarily brought up.

But yes please feel free to criticize me! I am new to this.

EDIT: For now, please post as you normally would. I don't want people to be hesitant to say something because of some of the stupid things I spew.

The nice thing about Toonami GAF is there is a very nice mix of people who are being exposed for the first time, viewing the anime for the first time after reading the manga, viewing the English dub for the first time after viewing the Japanese version, and rewatching for fun with the Toonami GAF crew. With such a nice blend of users honestly if something gets posted that's too much of a spoiler we'd probably simply be able to message said poster and say "hey edit that".

As someone who's experiencing Soul Eater for the very first time with T-GAF I can honestly say I've never been spoiled by anything that was posted even by those discussing events that happen later in the series. Also I don't mind the "next week is going to get freaking crazy" or "next week is going to be awful filler" post though I can see how it might bother some.

Edit: Also Sena you really shouldn't edit peoples post unless there is an outcry from the users that what was posted was a bit over the deep end. I know you're just trying to help keep people from being spoiled but it really isn't a big enough problem that we'd need a mod to step in, mod powers should really be used as a last resort.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight on Toonami, Bleach decides to (temporarily) return to its senses, Team Ino-Shika-Cho springs into action, One Piece brings round 1 of an all new Davy Back Fight, Insane Maka runs riot on Crona, Team Satomi takes on Team Velshtein in the IG-1 Finals, Dewey closes in on the Scub Coral Command Cluster while Eureka evolves again, Mumm-Ra adds Jackalman and Monkian to the rogue's gallery, General Steel introduces THE HAMMER (Yeah!), Edward and Friends realize the truth of the history of Amestris, the Bebop makes a melancholy stop on Callisto, and finally Inuyasha turns to Totosai to try to level up.

12:00 - Bleach - 306 - In Order to Protect! Ichigo vs. Tensa Zangetsu!
12:30 - Naruto - 33 - Battle Formation: Ino-Shika-Cho!
1:00 - One Piece - 215 - Screaming-Hot Bombardment! Pirate Dodgeball!
1:30 - Soul Eater - 21 - May My Soul Reach You – A Dry Heart Inside Unbearable Isolation?
2:00 - IGPX - 12 - The Final Battle
2:30 - Eureka seveN - 46 - Planet Rock
3:00 - Thundercats - 14 - New Alliances
3:30 - Sym-Bionic Titan - 19 - The Steel Foe
4:00 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 35 - The Shape of This Country
4:30 - Cowboy Bebop - 12 - Jupiter Jazz (Part 1)
5:00 - Inuyasha - 71 - Three-Sided Battle to the Death
5:30 - Inuyasha - 72 - Totosai's Rigid Training

Seda

Edit: Also Seda you really shouldn't edit peoples post unless there is an outcry from the users that what was posted was a bit over the deep end. I know you're just trying to help keep people from being spoiled but it really isn't a big enough problem that we'd need a mod to step in, mod powers should really be used as a last resort.

Noted. Still getting used to this anyway. Sorry if I'm being weird :x

LycanXIII

Just got back from seeing it with my dad. Really enjoyed it.
I'd love to see a Del Toro/Genndy Sym-Bionic Titan movie now.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Just got back from seeing it with my dad. Really enjoyed it.
I'd love to see a Del Toro/Genndy Sym-Bionic Titan movie now.

Too bad it looks like it's going to bomb. Hopefully word of mouth can save it. I went opening night and there was like no one there.

A Del Toro/Genndy Titan movie would be amazing. He can do it after he does his Samurai Jack movie.

LycanXIII

Too bad it looks like it's going to bomb. Hopefully word of mouth can save it. I went opening night and there was like no one there.

A Del Toro/Genndy Titan movie would be amazing. He can do it after he does his Samurai Jack movie.

I went to the first showing today and it was packed for me. Not sure how the other showings will do though. I know another theater in town was only doing 4 showings of it, with 2 of them in 3D. :/

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The nice thing about Toonami GAF is there is a very nice mix of people who are being exposed for the first time, viewing the anime for the first time after reading the manga, viewing the English dub for the first time after viewing the Japanese version, and rewatching for fun with the Toonami GAF crew. With such a nice blend of users honestly if something gets posted that's too much of a spoiler we'd probably simply be able to message said poster and say "hey edit that".

As someone who's experiencing Soul Eater for the very first time with T-GAF I can honestly say I've never been spoiled by anything that was posted even by those discussing events that happen later in the series. Also I don't mind the "next week is going to get freaking crazy" or "next week is going to be awful filler" post though I can see how it might bother some.

Edit: Also Sena you really shouldn't edit peoples post unless there is an outcry from the users that what was posted was a bit over the deep end. I know you're just trying to help keep people from being spoiled but it really isn't a big enough problem that we'd need a mod to step in, mod powers should really be used as a last resort.

As long as we don't need a glossary to know what the hell is going on in the thread.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I went to the first showing today and it was packed for me. Not sure how the other showings will do though. I know another theater in town was only doing 4 showings of it, with 2 of them in 3D. :/

Word of mouth might be spreading quick. I know when I went to see it people were clapping and cheering every now and again, I've only ever seen two movies that have had that happen (both were Tarantino films) so I've got some hope it'll do well.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
CN premiered a new action cartoon, "Beware the Batman". It's not good. If it gets cancelled, I hope it doesn't show up on Toonami (though the DC license would probably prevent it like Young Justice).

So I guess I'm not seeing Pacific Rim tonight as my ride had something come up with his family. I'll try and see it tomorrow with my room mate

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Well, I won't be with you guys this week since I'm going out to partaaaaaaaay.

Can't wait to come back and read some of the reactions of these episodes. Should be good.

Going to definitely DVR Toonami tonight!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Right now I find myself watching the old Bleach openings on Youtube. Man, this show used to be so much fun. What happened? It was never brilliant, but it was great shonen action back in the day. Now I can barely concentrate on it for more than 5 minutes.

It's kinda weird that I was graduating high school when I first started watching the show in 2004. Now I've moved on, graduated college and its still be shown in some capacity. My main reason for intially falling behind the Japanese airings was because I started school, and then I come back to it with Toonami and it's just...really bad most of the time.

The openings are still well done. Opening #5, Rolling Star is probably still my favorite. And the first ending is still my favorite.

Gonna heat up a couple Hot Pockets for tonight, aww yeaaaaaaah

hotpockets.jpg

(NOTE: He can't bust through your wall, though)

I would love hot pockets 10x more if they would have a double stuffed variant of the item. It's always been my biggest gripe how there is so much empty space in the thing.

Seda

Tonight on Toonami, Bleach decides to (temporarily) return to its senses, Team Ino-Shika-Cho springs into action, One Piece brings round 1 of an all new Davy Back Fight, Insane Maka runs riot on Crona, Team Satomi takes on Team Velshtein in the IG-1 Finals, Dewey closes in on the Scub Coral Command Cluster while Eureka evolves again, Mumm-Ra adds Jackalman and Monkian to the rogue's gallery, General Steel introduces THE HAMMER (Yeah!), Edward and Friends realize the truth of the history of Amestris, the Bebop makes a melancholy stop on Callisto, and finally Inuyasha turns to Totosai to try to level up.

12:00 - Bleach - 306 - In Order to Protect! Ichigo vs. Tensa Zangetsu!
12:30 - Naruto - 33 - Battle Formation: Ino-Shika-Cho!
1:00 - One Piece - 215 - Screaming-Hot Bombardment! Pirate Dodgeball!
1:30 - Soul Eater - 21 - May My Soul Reach You – A Dry Heart Inside Unbearable Isolation?
2:00 - IGPX - 12 - The Final Battle
2:30 - Eureka seveN - 46 - Planet Rock
3:00 - Thundercats - 14 - New Alliances
3:30 - Sym-Bionic Titan - 19 - The Steel Foe
4:00 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 35 - The Shape of This Country
4:30 - Cowboy Bebop - 12 - Jupiter Jazz (Part 1)
5:00 - Inuyasha - 71 - Three-Sided Battle to the Death
5:30 - Inuyasha - 72 - Totosai's Rigid Training

Cookout was much quieter than I thought it would be so no issues with Toonami tonight.

Back to canon Bleach? Team Ino hijinks aren't much better than Sakura moping, followed by filler One Piece ... but then what seems like a good Soul Eater, IGPX, and maybe Eureka episodes. Should be a decent night.

Tenumi

Banned
I think I'll be awake enough to last through One Piece tonight, though I might shut off for the night to concentrate on Soul Eater.

I'm stuffed, though. No hot pockets for me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom