• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT6| Where there's no such thing as filler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you ever watched the original Eva series? 1.11 was more of less a condensed version of the first 8 episodes with a few changes
I saw one episode a long time ago but don't remember what happened so basically no. Guess I should go ahead and see the movie before next Saturday.

So... my cable box/DVR hates Sword Art Online. Both times I've recorded it, the box has hard locked while watching the recording.
Recording last week's SAO probably conflicted with your state's laws about questionable media. Be thankful. Now you won't end up on some government database.

Seda

Have you ever watched the original Eva series? 1.11 was more of less a condensed version of the first 8 episodes with a few changes

I'm going through the original for the first time right now actually. Everyone says it's best to watch it before 2.22. 1.11 covers the first six episodes btw :p

I'm going through the original for the first time right now actually. Everyone says it's best to watch it before 2.22. 1.11 covers the first six episodes btw :p

I thought it was the first 8 with some added/changed scenes. 1.11 ends exactly as the same spot episode 8 does more or less.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The Eva movies have been pretty good about starting off with a big fight scene to draw the audience in, I think that will keep people drawn in. The fights are spread through, so every 30 minute block pretty much gets a battle.

I hope my internet is all set up at my new place by next Saturday. I definitely won't be able to watch Toonami next week, but it would at least be nice to see the reactions and what the big surprise is.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
That promo made me wanna rewatch 1.11 before 2.22. I was posting on ToonamiGAF so much I think I missed some stuff, lol.

2.22 only starts to diverge right at the verrrry end right? That's what I've heard.

That promo made me wanna rewatch 1.11 before 2.22. I was posting on ToonamiGAF so much I think I missed some stuff, lol.

2.22 only starts to diverge right at the verrrry end right? That's what I've heard.

Think so.

Damn, right as I posted that.
2a2ea37511002aef0445.png

MikeMyers

I hate how useless Krillin, Tien, and Yamcha became in Z. They were literally there just to be killed off all the time.

Yamcha and Tien were never really Goku rivals though. They both only beat Goku through luck (Goku was hungry against Yamcha, the car hit Goku in the tournament). At least Toriyama gave them something to do in the Cell arc. Yamcha finds the Androids and discover their ability to absorb Ki, Tien briefly stalls Cell to allow #18 to escape.

Krillin wasn't too useless in Z. He did best against Nappa then any non-Goku character, and he helped beat Vegeta. He saved Vegeta's life on Namek (who in return helped Goku beat the GInyu Force once Goku's body was stolen). He doesn't do much in the Cell arc, but he still gets the storyline about the whole #18 thing. See below for Buu arc.

Refresh my memory, what did Krillin do during the Buu saga? I haven't watched it in ages.

Grew hair, and fought some dude at a tournament. At that point Mr. Satan had replaced him as the token human.

Goku, Vegeta,Gohan, and Krillin got all the Hot chicks. Yamacha is the only one hating.

Yamcha technically tapped Bulma before Vegeta, also he had another girlfriend in the Cell arc.

I find it funny that Future Trunks (who is going off Bulma's side of the story) says that Yamcha cheated on Bulma and left her. But when Baby Trunks shows up, Yamcha complains that its actually Vegeta's kid, implying Bulma left him.

Yamcha has no highlights.

He and Puar defeated Oozaru Goku, and beat Invisible Man thanks to his girlfriends talent.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

This is also what I have heard.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Puar beat big monkey Goku, it's like you are making my point for me.

He "discovers" how the androids work by getting a giant hole in his chest after being punked by the androids.

Considering on the box for the DVD release I own there show a brand new original character and considering the ending of 1.11, I get the feeling 2.22 is going to diverge a lot

Which episodes does 2.22 cover btw? Not that it will matter to me since by the time it airs next week cause I'll have seen Episode 20 by then

Which episodes does 2.22 cover btw? Not that it will matter to me since by the time it airs next week cause I'll have seen Episode 20 by then

Don't bother comparing it to the original series, this film has events from episode 9 all the way to the end of evangelion film.

My problem with 1.11 was that a lot of it was basically the same, seemingly shot-for-shot. And as a result of adapting episodes of a TV show, the pacing moved in awkward fits and starts.

But then again it cut out a lot of Shinji's bitching.

My problem with 1.11 was that a lot of it was basically the same, seemingly shot-for-shot. And as a result of adapting episodes of a TV show, the pacing moved in awkward fits and starts.

But then again it cut out a lot of Shinji's bitching.

Yup. For a show that is renown for Shinji's bitching, 1.11 had a whole lot less of it. Pretty grateful for that.

The only real changes from the first 8 episodes of the series to 1.11 IIRC

Misato already knows about Lillith being hidden under neath Nerve, something she didn't learn about until episode 15 in the original series

Kaworu appears at the end of the film, he didn't appear until episode 24 in the original series.

Sachiel was the 3rd angel in the series, he's the 4th in the rebuild films, as such Shamshel and Ramiel are now the 5th and 6th as opposed to the 4th and 5th

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it, 2.22 pretty much goes a completely different direction from the OG series introducing new pilots, new evas, and new angels.

MikeMyers

Puar beat big monkey Goku, it's like you are making my point for me.

He "discovers" how the androids work by getting a giant hole in his chest after being punked by the androids.

Yamcha grabbed his tail and pulled it, which caused Goku to freeze up. Then Puar cut it o. It was a team effort.

Yamcha & Puar also helped Goku defeat Boss Rabbit. Puar took away Bulma so she wasn't a liability, and Yamcha beat up his thugs so they'd get off Goku.

And he still discovered the Androids ability to absorb Ki, even if he did get his ass kicked in the process (keep in mind Android #20 was the big bad of that arc until Toriyama had to retcon anyway).

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Is 3.33 awful?

Watched like 1/3rd of it, got bored and haven't gone back. There are a couple aspects of it that they kinda act like it should be a big shock, but they're fairly obvious to most viewers...so the part I watched was annoying. What I saw definitely set off my EMO ALERT. That's not always a bad thing, but I was just frustrated with the pacing of it. Keep in mind, I still have tons left to watch.

I'm honestly not in a big rush to finish it. These things come out every 2 or 3 years, so the final movie probably won't be out in Japan until 2015. I'm pretty content just sitting on it until the mood strikes me or the release of Eva Final is closer.

HUGE SPOILER ALERT FOR 3.33
Having 14 years pass but not visibly aging any of the EVA pilots is such a cop-out. Like you have the perfect opportunity to give fans new designs, and you basically just slap an eye patch on Asuka and call it a day. Within the context of the story, Shinji being the same age makes sense...but the pilots on the outside also not aging because of whatever stupid excuse. Whatever. You have much smaller time skips in other series like 2 years and everyone gets new designs, but 14 YEARS pass and everything was pretty much the same. Maybe I need to finish the movie, but I remember rolling my eyes a couple times.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The problem with 3.33 is that it fails to even be a good movie. The way it executes its ideas and plot points far exceeds the viewers' patience, intelligence, and time. It's really bad.

Noticed something, is this our official?

12:00 - Evangelion 2.22
2:30 - SPECIAL
2:45 - Star Wars: The Clone Wars
3:15 - Big O
3:45 - SPECIAL
4:00-5:30 - Regular Programming.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I was more surprised at the fact that DeMarco has kept the surprise under wraps for this long. Sidenote: Sucks that we'll still be subjected to Star Wars. Why couldn't we have skipped it?

We're getting out of SAO, it's not like we could expect to be saved from both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom