• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT6| Where there's no such thing as filler

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I can't believe I missed the Pokemon discussion. Man...

You mean the decline that started in the first episode?

KuGsj.gif

The comments are less funny when they are dead on accurate.
I'm not disagreeing with what he's saying, it's just funny how he tore the author of the article to shreds. There's a lot of that in the comments if you dig.

I didn't really see any humorous entries out of the people agreeing but they're still fun to read.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Side note: Can someone click to my profile and tell me what the "Additional Information" section looks like? I love you long time. <3

Jintor

i think i'm the only one here who believes the second episode has been the best so far. even with the stupid death and the "beater" shit. stuff actually happened compared to the first one, and nothing was as offensively terrible as these last two.

It is a high point in a fucking abyss of shit.

Side note: Can someone click to my profile and tell me what the "Additional Information" section looks like? I love you long time. <3

N/A.

Code to my room is 0451.

Really? I thought it was one of the least offensive episodes actually. The two part one right?

Spoilers for tomorrow below

Yup this is the two part episode. The pace is excruciatingly slow though, I feel like there's only 5 minutes of actual content worth watching. Also, it falls into the same trap of throwing the audience a new character for 5 minutes, killing her off, and then expecting us to care in an effort to create drama. What's really gonna piss people off is finding out she's not dead.

This remains the greatest two minutes of SAO, and possibly anime as a whole

http://youtu.be/8vpjq6KEs0s

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
P6ql7ZZ.gif

They gave a character we knew for 6 minutes an easily avoidable death and expected us to care. That GIF still makes me laugh.

Raxus

P6ql7ZZ.gif

They gave a character we knew for 6 minutes an easily avoidable death and expected us to care. That GIF still makes me laugh.

I didn't see the other two trolls join in. As if he wasn't dead enough.

A little more than 24 hours remain until the next painful injection guys. Rest up.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm a third of the way through DB, going to watch all of DBZ as well.

GT though...I have it all, donated from a friend years ago. I've never watched it all in order, heck I've barely seen any of its awful first half or so.

It tries to be DB so hard in the beginning and fails so spectacularly. Then it tries to be DBZ and fails until it gets better villains near the end.

MikeMyers

I'm a third of the way through DB, going to watch all of DBZ as well.

GT though...I have it all, donated from a friend years ago. I've never watched it all in order, heck I've barely seen any of its awful first half or so.

It tries to be DB so hard in the beginning and fails so spectacularly. Then it tries to be DBZ and fails until it gets better villains near the end.

The "Lost Episodes" is actually decent in its own right, but fails as a sequel to DBZ. DBZ already established that the characters were overpowered, so it never really feels like the heroes are in any sort of danger.

The Baby Arc is actually decent, the ending with Piccolo saying goodbye to Gohan is actually pretty damn emotional.

The Super 17 is basically a Greatest Hits of DBZ with them battling Frieza, Cell, & Android 17 again. But its cool that #18 was given a story role, and its only 6 episodes.

The Shadow Dragons has a neat concept, but most of it is just battle after battle after battle. Granted, DB and DBZ were like that at times too, but GT battles are more Ki-Spam oriented than DBZ was! But Vegeta gets some decent development here, and the ending is great.

Oh, and the TV Special is actually pretty good too.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Goku is bullet proof in episode 1 of Dragonball and you basically never feel like he's in serious danger besides some of the trick fights, so I blame GT's lack of danger purely on the writing.

MikeMyers

Pretty much. Goku is damn near invincible in DB until Tao kicks his ass. He loses to Jackie Chun as well, but its established Chun wasn't a villain.

I don't think it becomes DBZ-like until the King Piccolo arc.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pretty much. Goku is damn near invincible in DB until Tao kicks his ass. He loses to Jackie Chun as well, but its established Chun wasn't a villain.

Blue also kicks his ass but its mainly by a cheap trick.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

Yeah, King Piccolo was the arc that really started a lot of the DBZ-esque tropes and finally turned the series into a battle manga. Its where quirky mini bosses first appeared and where good guys first started dying.

Contrast that to the Red Ribbon Army where Goku goes around effortlessly murdering everyone just so the comic can show how superhuman he is. And where the bad guys main motivation was to get taller.

master roshi was literally top tier in DB for 95% of it, funny how that is
That's because the main theme of 95% of DB was how awesome Roshi's teachings was and how much better it was than any other learning method. Therefore Roshi had to be awesome until he "retires" during the Piccolo Jr tournament (which is more than what most DB characters got when becoming obsolete).

grandjedi6

I hate how useless Krillin, Tien, and Yamcha became in Z. They were literally there just to be killed off all the time.
Krillin was pretty useful for most of the series though. He was one of the few characters still doing shit against Buu. And Yamcha was the designated loser even during Dragonball. But you're totally right about Tien. After Nappa kills him he's pretty useless outside of 1 or 2 moments during Cell.

But that's the rule in Dragonball. If you're not Piccolo, Goku, Krillin or Vegeta, you're pretty much useless after you die once.

They didn't have that superior sayian blood

Yeah it got kind of annoying how only the saiyans were of any use after the Frieza saga. But the writers kind of put themselves in a corner once Goku went SSJ.

Krillin was pretty useful for most of the series though. He was one of the few characters still doing shit against Buu. And Yamcha was the designated loser even during Dragonball. But you're totally right about Tien. After Nappa kills him he's pretty useless outside of 1 or 2 moments during Cell.

But that's the rule in Dragonball. If you're not Piccolo, Goku, Krillin or Vegeta, you're pretty much useless after you die once.
Refresh my memory, what did Krillin do during the Buu saga? I haven't watched it in ages.

Yeah it got kind of annoying how only the saiyans were of any use after the Frieza saga. But the writers kind of put themselves in a corner once Goku went SSJ.

Refresh my memory, what did Krillin do during the Buu saga? I haven't watched it in ages.

He got laid with android 18 which requires a far higher power level then saving the world...

Honestly that's all I can think of for canon krillin during that arc, maybe he does more in anime filler

Tenumi

Banned
I'm finally getting around to watching last week's Naruto, One Piece, Soul Eater, and SAO...

Better late than never, right?

grandjedi6

He did some things during the Tournament and Majin parts of the Saga. During the Buu part specifically, he took on Super Buu alone to buy time for his family and friends to escape, Didn't work since its Super Buu and all, but at least Dende managed to escape (aka the only real important one).

Its not much, but in a saga where even the saiyans were dying for the stupidest reasons ever, at least Krillin went out a hero and did more than the rest of the human cast combined.

Plus he wasn't a liability like Gotenks was. Fucking Gotenks.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
*stretches* What's going on? *sees Kotaku article* Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffft.
That guy must not see much anime, or TV shows, or movies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
*stretches* What's going on? *sees Kotaku article* Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffft.
That guy must not see much anime, or TV shows, or movies.

I'll give you a free tip and warn you not to read any articles done by Richard Eisenbeis, head of Kotaku East, they are pretty consistently terrible.

Tenumi

Banned
So... my cable box/DVR hates Sword Art Online. Both times I've recorded it, the box has hard locked while watching the recording.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom