• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT6| Where there's no such thing as filler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty good deal right now on one of our Toonami alumni: Right Stuf has Casshern Sins Blu-Ray parts 1 and 2 for $8.99 each, which works out to the same price as the S.A.V.E. edition without the garish yellow border.

The show's no longer on Netflix, so if you want to watch it, there's an option for you.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Have you been watching it recently or did you stop during season 1? IGPX has some pacing issues (especially at the start of the series) but has really turned things around. I can understand why people don't like it though.

This is the big thing, you hit the nail on the head. IGPX was incredibly slow for over a month but since then the quality has been steadily improving to the point where I look forward to each week's episode. However, most people that bailed early aren't going to come back so the ratings will suffer as we're seeing.

Yep. I feel like they should have gone back and redo some of those early episodes while they were still working on the scripts. There's nothing really wrong with any of them, but you don't open a show with those plotlines. Had those plotlines been done in the middle of a season instead right off the bat our reaction may very well have been different.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
About to get a used copy of End of Eva, but I want to know is Death/Rebirth worth it?
Honestly, no. Death is pretty much a summary of the series for the most part, then Rebirth is just the first 20-ish minutes of End of Eva. If you've already seen the series & getting End of Eva, you've pretty much seen Death & Rebirth.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Have you been watching it recently or did you stop during season 1? IGPX has some pacing issues (especially at the start of the series) but has really turned things around. I can understand why people don't like it though.

Well, let us not go over the deep end, yea, some shit has gotten better but IGPX has some deep issues that it never got around to fixing, a good deal of those relating to Takashi and his lack of charisma or likability.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Well, let us not go over the deep end, yea, some shit has gotten better but IGPX has some deep issues that it never got around to fixing, a good deal of those relating to Takashi and his lack of charisma or likability.

That is a big issue, actually that seems to be the one issue that never got fixed. The rest of the series has changed for the better, the races have vastly improved since the beginning.

Raxus

That is a big issue, actually that seems to be the one issue that never got fixed. The rest of the series has changed for the better, the races have vastly improved since the beginning.

Yep I rewatched the main block from last night and IGPX was really entertaining to watch. The cast and voice acting has really improved. The only exception being Takashi and the black hole that sucked up his personality. If Takashi died in a crash and got replaced by Andre I would be set for a season 3.

If Takashi was meant to be an unlikeable character it'd be one thing, but I always get the feeling I'm supposed to be rooting for Takashi and it just creates a weird feeling within me.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It was all Fantine's fault, you guys. She was the anchor that was weighing down Takeshi's good spirits. I'm sure he'll be a total bro from now on.

Considering they managed to fix almost every other problem with the show I fully expect Takashi to be a bro by the end of the series.

If Takashi was meant to be an unlikeable character it'd be one thing, but I always get the feeling I'm supposed to be rooting for Takashi and it just creates a weird feeling within me.

I think the last few eps you weren't supposed to be "rooting" for Takashi, just wanting him to get his head out of his ass. That seems to be the case as of the last episode.

That said, it is hard to get behind him, considering the writing didn't do much to paint the picture of someone who was struggling with fame and success, which I think was what they were aiming for.

It seemed like the original plan was to have that other eeeeevil team doing psych warfare to make Team Satomi crumble from within, but those guys kinda faded into the background - or were they the ones that faced Rocket G in his return and he eeked out a tie?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

I watched it a long time ago lol. I don't even remember.

I don't understand the Takeshi hate. Sure he isn't the most demonstrative character (unless he's arguing with Liz) but he's plenty "likeable" to me. Believing IGPX has gotten its act together after the terrible start is hardly going over the deep end.

Yep I rewatched the main block from last night and IGPX was really entertaining to watch. The cast and voice acting has really improved. The only exception being Takashi and the black hole that sucked up his personality. If Takashi died in a crash and got replaced by Andre I would be set for a season 3.
Well his girlfriend just broke up with him for seemingly no reason and his friend/teammate was still in the hospital with a serious injury until halfway through the episode. I think his moping was a little justified, once the race started he was fine. The kid is 15, there's going to be moodiness.

My problem with Takeshi is that he wasn't a likeable character in the first half, he was always a mopy Shinji type character despite the fact he was a popular IG1 racer with a hot french GF, a loving family, and good friends/rivals in characters like Liz, Amy, Andre, and Spike. When things go back during s2 Takeshi is pretty much the same mopy Shinji character but now everyone starts berating him for it. Heck I'd say Shinji had a wider range of emotions then Takeshi.

Half the time Takeshi doesn't really give us any reason for why he acts the way he does, it's just "the way he is" which is fine, just write the story around a character like that. It feels like someone wrote the story in one room and came up with the characters in another. I feel a hot blooded "I'm gonna be IG1 champion" character would make a lot more sense in Takeshi's role. Liz could still get mad at him for "not taking it seriously", kid characters could think he's cool and french girl could still fall for him. When things go bad in s2 he'd have a clear personality change with his head in his ass. It'd fit the story a lot better even if it was a bit cliche.

I don't understand the Takeshi hate. Sure he isn't the most demonstrative character (unless he's arguing with Liz) but he's plenty "likeable" to me. Believing IGPX has gotten its act together after the terrible start is hardly going over the deep end.

Takeshi has no personality. it's almost like they created a self-insert character for the kids watching at times.

Racing giant robots at 600 miles per hour? I can't see anyone wanting to do that for a living.

Well yes, but all the characters shit on him the whole story who the hell wants to deal with that? Heck most of the time he isn't even a bad ass pilot he just scrapes together wins. Say what you want about SAO and Kirito but that show does a far better job of making the audience want to self insert themselves. Every lady in SAO truly wants his D, he gets to be an ass hole to everyone while they all think he's incredible, he gets to live in a video game and is TEH MOST POWERFUL CHARACTER!!! When you're literally a worse character then Kirito something has gone horribly wrong

so, what is Toonami-GAF's general opinion of the voice acting in Bleach? (proving a point here)

Aizen's voice actor gets his character and just hams it up to perfection, everyone else is going though the motions except JYB who's just playing JYB as usual.

Seda

so, what is Toonami-GAF's general opinion of the voice acting in Bleach? (proving a point here)

A lot of the cast is generally a good cast, the pedigrees are fine, but the performances given are wooden and terrible usually. As Bass said, Hebert's Aizen somewhat fit the part and his defeat was genuinely well acted, but 90% of the lines are mediocre at best.

Bad voice direction and dialogue don't help things either.

Tamanon

Banned
I think the main cast of Bleach is pretty great for voice acting. JYB does a great Ichigo. Rukia, Uryu, Renji, Yoruichi and Byakuya are all good too.

Not the biggest fan of Urahara or Orihime though.

The voice acting in the Bleach dub is some of the worst I've ever heard. The script is horrible, delivery is "stiff" and barely anyone has emotion. It's like they're not even trying (Ichigo's VA excluded).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
that Bleach's canon voice acting is generally mediocre to bad and that the voice actors generally only seem to give a shit during the filler

They don't give a rat's ass about filler or cannon anymore. Maybe they cared early on, but now? Paycheck please.

that Bleach's canon voice acting is generally mediocre to bad and that the voice actors generally only seem to give a shit during the filler

Nope, it's consistently bad

So... it sounds like yall prefer JP dub just on the idea of english dub being bad? lol.

Well, I do but there's two things that need to be said:

1. I grew up watching the Japanese version with subs. I'm way more attached to the original version because I've been watching it for 8 years. I guess you could call me biased.

2. I have no idea what is considered "good" or "bad" Japanese voice acting. I understand the language on an extremely basic level but I'm not a native speaker or fluent so really I can't accurately judge the quality of the Japanese cast.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

In the beginning bleach's dub voiceacting was pretty good, better than narutos, then I switched to sub, and decided to watch bleach on adult swim one night and noticed the dub quality dropped also that they chooed poorly for grimmjow and ulquierra's voices in the dub, and with that said I watched naruto dub for a longer time and noticed how it progressively has gotten better.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Marathon the dub; they don't start off great but they most certainly get worse as they go along.

Awful directing here as the cast (as previously argued over) is top flight.

EDIT: Naruto DEFINITELY gets better. In fact we're right around the point in the dub where it really starts becoming noticeable, though there were steps here and there in the first two arcs.

Marathon the dub; they don't start off great but they most certainly get worse as they go along.

Awful directing here as the cast (as previously argued over) is top flight.

EDIT: Naruto DEFINITELY gets better. In fact we're right around the point in the dub where it really starts becoming noticeable, though there were steps here and there in the first two arcs.

I mean it's hard to give direction when it's over 100 episodes of just hot blooded shonen fights with no end in sight with characters that almost no defined personality to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom