• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT6| Where there's no such thing as filler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shippuden has some bad openings IMO.

Worst arc attached with the best opening for me has to be Bleach's Bount arc. I am pretty sure I stuck with that shit for so long for the opening alone.
I've never seen Shippuden before so I'll take your word for it.

I love that Bleach opening too! That brings back a lot of memories, I thought the Bount arc was pretty good. This upcoming filler arc that starts next week is entertaining too. Well, at least for the first 2/3rds.

Hey guys. Just wanted to stop by and tell you I won't be on GAF for a while. Some big stuff has come up in my life and I need to deal with it. See ya.
I'm really sad to hear that, hope everything works out for you man.

Later

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Bye Schad. Good luck. :(

I also don't know if I can make it back in time for the start tonight. Got a friend's birthday party.

Necrovex

I've never seen Shippuden before so I'll take your word for it.

I love that Bleach opening too! That brings back a lot of memories, I thought the Bount arc was pretty good. This upcoming filler arc that starts next week is entertaining too. Well, at least for the first 2/3rds.

Filler arcs are never fun! NEVER!!!!!

The sad thing about Shippuden is that it has so much filler so that canon can be "paced well" except canon is shit. I wouldn't be surprised if the filler in Shippuden is better then canon at this point.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The sad thing about Shippuden is that it has so much filler so that canon can be "paced well" except canon is shit. I wouldn't be surprised if the filler in Shippuden is better then canon at this point.

I dunno, I stopped watching after
the Immortals
arc and all the filler leading up to it was shit.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I actually stopped following Shippuden right after they introduced the
evil Leaf village guys.

Sometimes I did catch a random episode on Disney XD that was past that point and some interesting shit would be going down.

I still randomly read it after reading One Piece if everyone is going nuts about how dumb it is so I'm fairly up on the story.

Seda

I've stopped in the middle of the
Pain Arc
for what feels like years now. I really liked the
Immortal Akatsuki Arc
but after that it wasn't really grabbing me and hearing all the stuff about how it nosedives in quality in later arcs certainly isn't persuading me to catch up.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight on Toonami, Hitsugaya takes a leave of absence to visit the world of the living, Tenten and Shikamaru take center stage in their respective matches, Feeehfehfehfeh!, Crona goes to a party, Kirito and Asuna try to take on Gleam Eyes, it's All-Star Weekend on IGPX again, Anakin and Ahsoka go to rescue R2, Fullmetal time skips closer to the Promised Day as Ed meets up with Winry once again, Bebop goes channel surfing, and Miroku's lechery causes more trouble.

12:00 - Bleach - 316 - Toshiro Hitsugaya's Holiday!
12:30 - Naruto - 43 - Killer Kunoichi and a Shaky Shikamaru
1:00 - One Piece - 225 - Proud Man! Silver Fox Foxy!
1:30 - Soul Eater - 31 - Drying Happiness! Whose Tears Sparkle in the Moonlight?
2:00 - Sword Art Online - 9 - The Blue-Eyed Demon
2:30 - IGPX - 22 - Function, Not Fashion
3:00 - Star Wars: The Clone Wars - 7 - Duel of the Droids
3:30 - Big O - 23 - Twisted Memories
4:00 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 46 - Looming Shadows
4:30 - Cowboy Bebop - 23 - Brain Scratch
5:00 - Inuyasha - 93 - The Mysterious, Lecherous Monk
5:30 - Inuyasha - 94 - The Sacred Jewel Maker Part I

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The funny thing is that one day I just dropped it cold after catching up to the original show a few months into the filler hell and watching most of that dark period week by week. Then Shippuden started and was going along well, started to get exciting and then bam, suddenly I'm no longer watching.

I even tried again DVRing the dub when that showed and go to roughly the same point before giving up again. Still played the Wii games though!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I made progress in my attempt to catch up in Soul Eater. Episode 4 is done and dusted. At this rate I'll catch up roughly in 2021.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I get confused when talking about 'Seasons' in long Shounens. For example, Wikipedia calls 'season 5' 186-220. The fifth DVD set is 53–65

I just stick to episode numbers. (or 'arcs')

One Piece does the Opening=Season thing until the whole switch over to HD broadcast thing. Then it gets complicated!

This. I don't classify One Piece by seasons, but by arcs. I know Funimation does but that's probably a legal thing.

Well, to get specific:

Naruto defines seasons by a year (roughly 52 episodes). Hence it has only 5 seasons.

Shippuden and Bleach define it by 1/2 year (roughly 26 episodes). Openings also change every season.

One Piece... is confused. Toei defines seasons by arc, but is rather inconsistent about it. Sometimes they'll include both a canon arc and a filler arc together as a season 9 (which is 72 episodes long and contains both Enies Lobby and the filler Ice Hunter arc). But other times they'll separate out the filler arcs entirely, such as the 13 episode Season 5. The openings have never correlated with new seasons though, except by coincidence. Partially because Toei doesn't decide what defines a season until their perpetually behind DVD releases.

Funimation's One Piece defines seasons by whatever episodes Toei licenses out as a block, which are pretty much 1:1 with sagas/arcs.

Raxus

This is going to be a great B-day for me. I get to hear Jojo's opening. it is 'that' episode of SAO, Zoro eats a clone clone fruit and a Miroku episode (if memory serves it is a funny one)

Also, Black Paper Moon is tonight!
They're going to butcher it :(

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This is going to be a great B-day for me. I get to hear Jojo's opening. it is 'that' episode of SAO, Zoro eats a clone clone fruit and a Miroku episode (if memory serves it is a funny one)

Happy Birthday dude.

Attack on Titan's 1st season just ended and for those who've not read or seen it and are waiting for Toonami to air it, don't. The adaption completely botched several key moments of the series, if you're interested read the manga.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Attack on Titan's 1st season just ended and for those who've not read or seen it and are waiting for Toonami to air it, don't. The adaption completely botched several key moments of the series, if you're interested read the manga.

Well so much for our hope for the future. :(

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

You realize that won't stop Adult Swim from putting it on the block, or the thousands of fans it already has from watching it?

Sorry to hear the anime ended up being not so great. At least we have the manga. *goes back to waiting* Yep... answers any time now.

so did the last episode suck or is this just kind of a general statement about the series as a whole?

You realize that won't stop Adult Swim from putting it on the block, or the thousands of fans it already has from watching it?

Sorry to hear the anime ended up being not so great. At least we have the manga. *goes back to waiting* Yep... answers any time now.

I know it'll air on Toonami, I just hope that most people don't let the anime be their first exposure to the series, a lot of the best scenes are ruined in the anime's adaptation.

so did the last episode suck or is this just kind of a general statement about the series as a whole?

As a whole the anime is still good, I like some of the changes it made such as following things more chronologically. I also dislike the changes to some of it's most important scenes including the one I'm raging about currently. Honestly everything up to this final arc I feel was done well enough, it's the last arc in the anime they completely mess up.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It sounds like, from what Bass told me, they completely rewrote one of the major reveals in the manga. Not the (BIG SPOILERS)
"I'm tired of fighting, oh by-the-way we're Titans"
reveal, but another one. Though it could be they are pulling an FMA and creating an original ending due to catching up with the manga.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
SAO being awful didn't hurt its hype coming over here.

In fact it helped it. Toonami is also known for its delightful hate watches.

It's part of the reason I actively want Fairy Tail on the block.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks

Happy ##th birthday. Yours was only a week after mine.

& speaking of looking forward tonight, I cannot wait for the preblock stream, especially for Fate/Zero.

As a whole the anime is still good, I like some of the changes it made such as following things more chronologically. I also dislike the changes to some of it's most important scenes including the one I'm raging about currently. Honestly everything up to this final arc I feel was done well enough, it's the last arc in the anime they completely mess up.
So perhaps check the anime out & if ya like it, read the manga to get a more complete story? I don't know why I keep putting of checking out Attack on Titan, especially hearing so much about it.

It sounds like, from what Bass told me, they completely rewrote one of the major reveals in the manga. Not the (BIG SPOILERS)
"I'm tired of fighting, oh by-the-way we're Titans"
reveal, but another one. Though it could be they are pulling an FMA and creating an original ending due to catching up with the manga.

I feel like if they were doing that they probably would have planned the series to be longer then 25 episodes. They've stayed true to the manga plot so far, they've just rearranged and rewrote scenes some changes were good some were bad. As a whole I imagine the changes won't impact anime only viewers who'll still enjoy the series, but fans of the manga or those who pick up the manga as a result of the anime are going to realize the issues it has.

Moaradin

I'm not gonna watch the final AoT episode until after Toonami, but if that shit ends in a big cliffhanger, I'm probably just gonna switch to the Manga. I need answers!

tumblr_m9g0qpUIYD1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Alright guys. In less than 2 hours the Toonami Pre-Show Watchblock will feature Haruto getting over his teenage angst on Valvrave, Jojo combatting the non-stop harassment from Dio in Jojo's Bizzare Adventure, some weird freaky dudes doing some weird freaky things in Fate/Zero, the conclusion of the strange mystery behind the woman in Darker than Black, and the "wait wut time travel?" of Steins;Gate. All of this starts at 9:00pm EDT.

9:00 - Valvrave the Liberator - 2 - Beyond 666
9:25 - Valvrave the Liberator - 3 - L-Elf's Prophecy
9:50 - JoJo's Bizzare Adventure - 2 - A Letter from the Past
10:15 - Fate/Zero - 2 - False Start 
10:40 - Darker than Black - 2 - The Fallen Star of a Contract... (Part 2)
11:05 - Steins;Gate - 2 - Time Travel Paranoia

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

happy birthday!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
SAO being awful didn't hurt its hype coming over here.

In fact it helped it. Toonami is also known for its delightful hate watches.

The problem with Fairy Tail is that it's a long running series so we won't be able to get rid of it. It's not like SOA which will end one day. It'll be the new Bleach.

The problem with Fairy Tail is that it's a long running series so we won't be able to get rid of it. It's not like SOA which will end one day. It'll be the new Bleach.

Fairy Tail never drags or has really dumb plot twist, I think people would enjoy it more then they want to admit.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Fairy Tail never drags or has really dumb plot twist, I think people would enjoy it more then they want to admit.

It uses every dumb cliche you can think of (without subverting any of them) and at one point every mystery character was revealed to be the same damn guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom