• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT7| I Don't Believe It

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeMyers

Damn, I would have joined in the
Sasuke Retrieval
arc if we watched that.

I like Shippuden, but prefer the manga. It's not even the filler that annoys em, its the flashbacks.

Amikami

Banned
Holy cow! Saw the title change and thought it was the new thread for a moment but when it wasn't I knew something was up. I'm actually going to miss the rewatch of Naruto with gaf but eh, Shippuden. I can't believe they managed to get that from Disney. Good Space Dandy news as well. There's no stopping Toonami lately. Congrats to them.

Holy cow! Saw the title change and thought it was the new thread for a moment but when it wasn't I knew something was up. I'm actually going to miss the rewatch of Naruto with gaf but eh, Shippuden. I can't believe they managed to get that from Disney. Good Space Dandy news as well. There's no stopping Toonami lately. Congrats to them.
Nothing stops this space ship.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Considering the timing and the fact disney hasn't aired shippuden in years I'm guessing it just expired at the end of 2013.

MikeMyers

Wait, we're skipping the good arcs of Naruto for all of the shitty ones?

tumblr_mvfod5ZgZP1sr0kmzo1_500.gif

I'd actually wanna the rest of Naruto original as well, but I just wanted to use that Gif

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Considering the timing and the fact disney hasn't aired shippuden in years I'm guessing it just expired at the end of 2013.

You don't announce acquisition rights when another channel's contract is still on going. Shippuden originally aired Oct. 28th, 2009, so the Disney contract was most likely for 4 years and ended last week.

Also it looks like Disney just took down all their Naruto Shippuden pages.
While you're not wrong it does even out by skipping almost two years of awful Naruto in exchange for a year and change of...well, the best of Naruto.
They were never going to air that. It was all a bluff.

Another nice pickup, and in my opinion, your front-runner to slide up to midnight when Bleach ends.

Though right now a premiere** line up for Space Dandy / Bleach / Shippuden / One Piece / Soul Eater / Sword Art Online is pretty good for a Saturday night action cartoon programming block in 2014.

**for Toonami

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The dub actually starts to take some fairly interesting liberties during the filler hell because they know its bleach level garbage.

and yes, that's what I meant by the end of 2013. I knew Shippuden started in October I just wasn't exactly sure when.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
well, i'm referring to a watch block on one day of the week.

oh, i thought you meant watch all the remaining canon Naruto episodes.

ha no way, we'd never get through it, and not everybody in toonamigaf is enough of a naruto buff to go through that

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's happened a few times. More recently in the manga though you had a full blown flashback arc in the middle of a flashback arc.

Amikami

Banned

Good point. You're probably right. Still looks like it would have caused quite a bit money whoever they would have to pay (would it be Viz?), or maybe at this point, VIz is just looking for anyway possible to get Naruto Shippuden out there. Why not Toonami where part 1 took off in the US?

Lol. I really want to know where this is from.

Moaradin

u wot m8

I did not expect this news. Shippuden is pretty great from what I watched up to the pain arc.

It starts off really slow though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
u wot m8

I did not expect this news. Shippuden is pretty great from what I watched up to the pain arc.

It starts off really slow though.

Even the manga had awful pacing in the beginning. The first arc has a compelling story but it just takes too damn long to get going.

I bet Shippuden Kai could do those 30 plus episodes in eight to ten weeks.

EDIT: To be honest I expected it to be a five year deal and for them to burn off the remaining non filler naruto by running two a week in 2014 before getting Shippuden this time next year.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Would you want Shippuden Kai pacing, or Shippuden: The Final Act pacing?

DBZ Kai is pretty much perfect pacing wise. The only thing that feels like it takes too much time is Goku landing on Namek and even that is a great deal shorter by the time Ginyu gets involved.

Brotherhood before it splits from the first anime is the only time I can think of where a show redoing old events might just be moving too damn fast.

grandjedi6

So if Naruto is ending on the 30th, and assuming Space Dandy is beginning on Jan 4th , that still leaves 1 random Dec. saturday with no Naruto. Unless Toonami says fuck it and has expanded movie night to 4 nights.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So if Naruto is ending on the 30th, and assuming Space Dandy is beginning on Jan 4th , that still leaves 1 random Dec. saturday with no Naruto. Unless Toonami says fuck it and has expanded movie night to 4 nights.

It might also be three movie nights and then a marathon of something on the 28th. Though I guess from this announcement that it's not going to be a best of Naruto night.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm just going to watch it all again. Which is something I did four years ago when I was completely bed ridden during Thanksgiving weekend. Of course I'll skip everything already shown on Toonami, though I might watch some of my favorite bits from the filler seasons.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
DBZ Kai is pretty much perfect pacing wise. The only thing that feels like it takes too much time is Goku landing on Namek and even that is a great deal shorter by the time Ginyu gets involved.

Brotherhood before it splits from the first anime is the only time I can think of where a show redoing old events might just be moving too damn fast.

you should watch rozen maiden 2013, they basically brotherhood it....except they did it so hard they pretty much made the 1st episode a recap episode with it ending on new material from the manga, they advertised it as a remake, but it really isnt lol

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Viz is awful on this. All of their digital streaming stuff that I can remember has been sub only. Funimation has both more times than not, with the default for dub when it has both but the streamer doesn't support it.

It's actually why I didn't bother catching up on Inuyasha a few years back when it was on Netflix, I need dem American Mostly Canadian voices in my ears.

grandjedi6

It might also be three movie nights and then a marathon of something on the 28th. Though I guess from this announcement that it's not going to be a best of Naruto night.

They stopped saying "3 movie nights" a while ago and keep saying "a month of movies". I'm really starting to think that all these new announcements made them change plans. So I'm expecting 4 movie nights, especially since Demarco keeps avoiding the issue on twitter.

MikeMyers

Yeah I've been checking out Inuyasha subbed for the first time. It's mostly a draw for me, but I definitely prefer Jaken and Naraku in the dub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom