• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT7| I Don't Believe It

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Some of you forgot that jonathan joestar literally TNJ someone to literal death in jojo's bizzare adventure, truly he is king.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
wNaNfYa.png

Wait... that doesn't make sense. Despite Demarco's repeated "first in the block" claims, it's pretty obvious Bleach only gets it's full opening because of how easy it is to cut time from elsewhere. The cut ending + preview + omake = almost 2 minutes, enough to get Bleach near 22 minutes without touching the opening. In the end Bleach gets what, 15 seconds extra compared to other shows?

But Naruto Shippuden is even easier than Bleach to cut since it's omake generally lasts for 1 minute rather than 30 seconds. A Shippuden episode usually runs as such:

Main Episode w/ full OP & ED = ~21.5 minutes
Preview = ~30 seconds
Omake = 1 minute

Shippuden easily runs under the required 22 minutes without touching the opening and endings. Even based on their old (valid) argument:

Toonami said:
On American television, 30 minutes of television is on average 22 minutes of programming and 8 minutes of commercials. Adult Swim actually averages less than almost any other network. So, we can’t have “less.” Japanese TV averages 24 mins or more of programming per 30 minutes, which is why distributors will sometimes need to cut the longer opens or closes shorter, for US TV. Sigh… We’re getting so, so tired of explaining all this…

Some of you forgot that jonathan joestar literally TNJ someone to literal death in jojo's bizzare adventure, truly he is king.

But would Jonathan joestar still takes his opponents hand when he's
getting choked by the guy he's tnjing? Nope
and that's why Naruto wins

Wait... that doesn't make sense. Despite Demarco's repeated "first in the block" claims, it's pretty obvious Bleach only gets it's full opening because of how easy it is to cut time from elsewhere. The cut ending + preview + omake = almost 2 minutes, enough to get Bleach near 22 minutes without touching the opening. In the end Bleach gets what, 15 seconds extra compared to other shows?

But Naruto Shippuden is even easier than Bleach to cut since it's omake generally lasts for 1 minute rather than 30 seconds. A Shippuden episode usually runs as such:

Main Episode w/ full OP & ED = ~21.5 minutes
Preview = ~30 seconds
Omake = 1 minute

Shippuden easily runs under the required 22 minutes without touching the opening and endings. Even based on their old (valid) argument:

maybe he's just not aware of this?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The state of American animation (or at least action animation) has taken a HUGE hit since the end of all the good Marvel and DC TV shows :(

Good Marvel shows, that's the funniest joke I've heard all week!

Some of them were good but they got nothing on the DCAU block and it's almost insulting to group them together.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The state of American animation (or at least action animation) has taken a HUGE hit since the end of all the good Marvel and DC TV shows :(

Marvel not being able to get a good show going is their own fault. Why they don't just do what they did with their movies I don't know. Spider-Man show, Avengers show, X-Men show, make sure they don't just target the 5-year-old crowd and have them crossover once a season during sweeps (they've even got these ready written since Marvel loves doing events like that anyway).

DC can't make a movie worth shit outside of Batman but has made tons of awesome cartoons

Marvel can't make a cartoon series worth shit since the 90s shows bit has made tons of awesome movies

The
5th
Hokaga wants a word with you. :mad:

Imma train sakura
and somehow make her even less useful

Crocodile

Marvel not being able to get a good show going is their own fault. Why they don't just do what they did with their movies I don't know. Spider-Man show, Avengers show, X-Men show, make sure they don't just target the 5-year-old crowd and have them crossover once a season during sweeps (they've even got these ready written since Marvel loves doing events like that anyway).

How we went from Spectacular Spiderman to Ulimate Spiderman and then Avengers: EMH to whatever the show with the chibi Avengers is called I'll never know. I also pour out a 40 for the loss of Wolverine and the X-men. On the DC side, following up Brave and Bold with Beware the Batman fucking hurts to say nothing of the loss of Young Justice and Green Lantern. I think Teen Titans Go is the only Marvel/DC show on the air currently that's any good (it's so much funnier than it has any right to be).

TMNT 2012 is pretty much carrying the torch for American action animation all by itself :(

I miss you Symbiotic Titan :(

How we went from Spectacular Spiderman to Ulimate Spiderman and then Avengers: EMH to whatever the show with the chibi Avengers is called I'll never know. I also pour out a 40 for the loss of Wolverine and the X-men. On the DC side, following up Brave and Bold with Beware the Batman fucking hurts to say nothing of the loss of Young Justice and Green Lantern. I think Teen Titans Go is the only Marvel/DC show on the air currently that's any good (it's so much funnier than it has any right to be).

TMNT 2012 is pretty much carrying the torch for American action animation all by itself :(

I miss you Symbiotic Titan :(
R.I.P Western Animation action cartoons.

Amikami

Banned
Eh I just remembered that we'll all have to sit through this. My least liked filler for Naruto. =.=

A horrible place to return to.

Aaargh! That arc was frustrating and I can't even remember half of it. "Home blaahblaablabla, heart blahblah."

grandjedi6

It is going to be weird that Hinata was just carried away on a gurney and she'll come back
carrying so much of the plot.

Well the most confusing thing for viewers will be all the
Sasuke drama that Shippuden starts with.

I do like that the last we'll see of original Naruto is the cliffhanger introduction of
Jiraiya

That said, I'm not sure there is anyone who doesn't know how original Naruto ends at this point.
maybe he's just not aware of this?
That's my assumption. I just can't stand his bullshit "first show" excuse.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
DC can't make a movie worth shit outside of Batman but has made tons of awesome cartoons

Marvel can't make a cartoon series worth shit since the 90s shows bit has made tons of awesome movies

Imma train sakura
and somehow make her even less useful

right on both accounts, though the first arc of Shippuden tried so hard to reverse that trend...

then she did even less the rest of the manga. Ino is arguably more useful.

foxuzamaki

Eh I just remembered that we'll all have to sit through this. My least liked filler for Naruto. =.=

A horrible place to return to.

dont remember this, because I most likely skipped that filler, fuck the filler, I always get right back into shippuden once the filler arcs end, and enjoy the cannon material, altho there is a few I have watched, the few I have watched were better than the average.

grandjedi6

I honestly can't see Viz cutting Shippuden's opening/endings. No matter what Demarco says. I mean how fucked would it be to have a cut opening while still having full previews, omake and endings? Or to cut it all and have a 20 minute show?

Crocodile

In an alternate universe where Naruto was well written and competently executed, it would be one of the best shonen ever. Agree or Disagree?

I honestly can't see Viz cutting Shippuden's opening/endings. No matter what Demarco says. I mean how fucked would it be to have a cut opening while still having full previews, omake and endings? Or to cut it all and have a 20 minute show?

Cut opening for more commercials and toonami original stuff

In an alternate universe where Naruto was well written and competently executed, it would be one of the best shonen ever. Agree or Disagree?

You could say the same for Bleach as well. Incredible worlds with great set up that didn't know how to execute. Naruto took all its unique characters and team dynamics and tossed it aside, Bleach took all its unique characters and world dynamics and just added more and more boring characters and tried too hard to give everyone screen time.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I don't think I've ever made it as far as Shippuden filler but I heard it was both long and ridiculously low quality ala bleach. I can't wait to watch it.

At least Shippuden episodes have really short titles that don't help explain what is going on at all.

789shadow

Banned
You're going to have to define "competently executed." Because in my view that would necessitate the complete removal of the main trio.

yami4ct

You can say that about a lot of shows. A ton of things have amazing premises that they fail to execute on. Naruto and Bleach definitely fit that bill and Attack on Titan even more so. I'm not sure if just a competent execution on the story they have, though, could raise Naruto up to the level of, say, YuYu, Hunter x Hunter or JoJo. Those shows have a ton of heart that I don't think you could ever fit into the Naruto universe.

grandjedi6

I've always said that Naruto needs an (competent) editor more than anything else. The whole thing reeks of an ongoing rough draft.... which it basically is since it's a weekly manga with no long term story plan in place.

But would it even be Naruto after all those changes? Or would it just be a good series with similarly named characters? And that's even getting into how everything post-Pain arc is just Dragonball GT level nonsense.

But I digress.

Cut opening for more commercials and toonami original stuff
If they just cut out every opening and ending from every show they could fit in an episode of Kick-Heart every night! :D

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You're going to have to define "competently executed." Because in my view that would necessitate the complete removal of the main trio.

Nah it could have been done with some slight retools quite well and I am a cosigner on the idea that Naruto has one of the greatest premises in manga history that is completely wasted by terrible execution.

Bleach would also qualify, it has a great premise
rip off YYH as much as possible.

EDIT: Inuyasha is basically anti-anime: Filler moves the story along better than the canon episodes, the best episodes are filler, the endings are a million times better than the opening, it rose from the dead after being gone for years and years.

MikeMyers

Inuyasha is basically anti-anime: Filler moves the story along better than the canon episodes, the best episodes are filler, the endings are a million times better than the opening, it rose from the dead after being gone for years and years.

Sounds a lot like Sailor Moon.

Crocodile

Yeah I think Bleach could fall into that category as well. And I suppose "imagine how much better thing X would be if it was better" is a bit of a tautology :p

I don't think the three man team is an inherently flawed idea. If Sakura was written as competent and had more of a personality than "Sasuke-kun" (or really if any of the females had more of a personality), Sasuke was less of a bitch and had more of a personality than "REVENGE" and Naruto dialed back the Talk no Jutsu and they all had a better inter-team dynamic that would massively improve the series. Shikamaru and Rock Lee are already great characters, if only they didn't get sidelined for most of the series :/ The series had a great theme of "hard work" that kind of gets dropped pretty quick :(

And so on and so on........

I dunno, it's frustrating but I often think of shows, books, movies, etc. and often say to myself "this could be SO MUCH better if only........". It's certainly much easier to improve upon something than create your own thing out of scratch though and I of course don't have to deal with time constraints or pressures from editors or "men in suits" :/

foxuzamaki

Hell yeah, there's some good EDs but unfortunately they're doomed even for Bleach to be trashy, though I think it's Viz and not Toonami. You posted some good ones.

A few others that I really like:

ED 6
ED 11
ED 20

Man, there's way too many good ones >_<
so many good EDs D:
its ok
I dunno why but I always like seeing the OPs and EDs where Naruto fights using only martial arts like in the 9th opening of the original series.

<3 so much

foxuzamaki

also guys, about soul eater....
I was hoping someone would talk about those manga chapters I was posting about earlier before the naruto megaton happened :(

foxuzamaki

All of the original Naruto openings are fantastic except for the harbinger of doom, the bell that rang out the horrible two years of suffering, the god awful sixth opening.http://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&feature=iv&src_vid=kRwj1Gcyqck&v=s2wIfy0b18Q

I actually really love that opening, but it happens late in the sasuke retrieval arc which should have automatically tipped me off that they were gonna continue afterwards with filler, actually I knew they would already because I found youtube at my cousins house and it changed my life concerning naruto forever haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom