• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT8| Our Summer War Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
meh. seems like kind of a jarring change after the show pounded it into my head that nobody liked Naruto and everyone around him in the Chunin Exams was basically "fuck that loser"

I actually found the flashback to be really well done. The only one sort of out of place is Kiba.

Shika definitely calls Naruto weird a few times and Chouji doesn't really get much dialogue not about him early on but not much beyond that.

The only named members of the ninja Academy class who really seem to not like Naruto are Sakura, The Sauce and Ino.

mhs004

I'd say this filler has been more enjoyable then the later half of the Arracar Arc. Of course reading the current arc in Naruto
Shinobi War
I'm starting to grow more appreciative of Bleach's Arracar War. When given the choice of one really long boring fight or a bunch of shorter varied ones I'll take the shorter varied ones every day.

I agree their both not great wars by any means. However Bleach's was more enjoyable with some good characters and some development. In Naruto we get OMG it's naruto he's awsome OMFG is Sauskeeeeee!!!! over and over again.

I actually found the flashback to be really well done. The only one sort of out of place is Kiba.

Shika definitely calls Naruto weird a few times and Chouji doesn't really get much dialogue not about him early on but not much beyond that.

The only named members of the ninja Academy class who really seem to not like Naruto are Sakura, The Sauce and Ino.

well, i'm only on the part with Gaara
in the hospital
right now. this whole training arc is actually kinda neat

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The cynic probably looked at the fan ranks for Shikamaru after the Chunin exams and that the author just shoe horned in the rest of the stuff...and they might be right. Who cares as it leads to Shika getting a ton of screen time.

Lee also.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There was a comment in that one manga thread that called Naruto 'Ninja Jesus' and that actually feels like an appropriate name for him, haha.

To be fair though this is an extremely common anime trope, the weird cult of personality that develops almost entirely because the person is the main character of said anime.

I agree their both not great wars by any means. However Bleach's was more enjoyable with some good characters and some development. In Naruto we get OMG it's naruto he's awsome OMFG is Sauskeeeeee!!!! over and over aging.

Honestly if Bleach could cut down it's roster in half it's war wouldn't have been anywhere near as difficult. Do something like

Make the Gotei 13 the Gotei 6 or 7 and don't have any extra lower chairs just captains and vice captains (have Rukia have been someone's VC before the substitute arc)

Have only 1-2 Vizard who were ex Gotei 6/7 members

Keep the 1-10 (or 0-9 lol) Arracar, make the others nameless scrubs ala the Hollows in substitute arc to establish how dangerous an unintelligent arracar is. Keep Aizen, Gin, and Tosen as traitor Shinigami

I feel like that would enable Bleach's war to still have a lot of one on one fights without having sooooo many characters running around. When main character's get less fights and screen time then random Vizard number 4 or random shinigami number 6 it devalues things.

mhs004

I really would not have minded if Naruto talked no jitsu just once as it's kind of common in shonen. But the way Kishi does it shows his incompetence as a writer to end an arc and expand as story as a whole in different ways. Kishi could do alot better he showed signs of being at least an okay writer in Rock Lee's back story but I've lost all respect for him as a writer at this point.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There's also something about the names on Bleach that make it impossible to remember characters.

The names in Naruto are all Japanese as well yet its pretty easy to keep them all straight.

There's also something about the names on Bleach that make it impossible to remember characters.

The names in Naruto are all Japanese as well yet its pretty easy to keep them all straight.

It's just that there are too many freaking characters in Bleach that they blur together and many of them barely get enough screen time to justify their existence. Take the most recent chapter of Bleach, I honestly had no idea who said captain was outside of a guess he must have been one of the Vizard, and even rereading the wiki I still barely remember him (Kensei Muguruma).

Naruto ironically manages to avoid this by mostly making everyone irrelevant outside of 2-3 characters at a time, and (in the anime) overwhelms you with so many god damn flashbacks it's impossible to forget who someone was.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
This seems to be a common stance, but I legitimately enjoyed the Soul Society arc, up to about when Aizen was revealed to be the big baddie. And then the next arc kept going and going and I kept hoping it would improve again, but I found it more and more difficult to care about anything in the show. I think I realized I how much less I was enjoying it around the time the four pillars were placed in fake Karakura town, each with a throwaway villain.

I did somewhat enjoy watching Aizen finally lose his cool though.

Bleach reach its peak of hypeness for me when the arrancar arrived, grimmjow came and kicked ass and I loved it, I guess the quality started going down in the later half of ichigo powering through their tower.

Bleach reach its peak of hypeness for me when the arrancar arrived, grimmjow came and kicked ass and I loved it, I guess the quality started going down in the later half of ichigo powering through their tower.

The moment for me was when the Captains showed up to save the day in Hueco Mundo pretty much taking over the story for the next 120ish chapters before Ichigo finally decides to return and fight Aizen and Gin. Whenever the infamous Kenpachi vs 6 arm arracar fight happened was the exact moment I went "blaaaahhhhh" and things continued to stay that way despite some decent fights/characters until the infamous Aizen troll moment which made things somewhat better.

Honestly despite the hate it gets from people here I really enjoy the next canon arc
Fullbringer
and am mostly enjoying the current/final arc.

I can remember the vast majority of the Bleach characters, the roster isn't too big in my opinion

The roster was fine up til the end of the Soul Society arc, then the story added 8 Vizard and 41 named Arracar (numbers from the Bleach Wiki). This was added to

Ichigo and his friends who can fight Chad, Orihime, and Uriyu
The 13 captains and 13 vice captains
The 5 or 6 chair members who are named like Momo, Rukia, and Ikkaku
Urahara and Cat lady

That brings the number of named fighters up to 86 if my math is correct.

Since then the series has also added 7
fullbringers
and waaay to many
Quincy
to count.

For a challenge, not counting the 0-9 Espada, name 10 of the Espada and who they fought/were killed by during the Arracar arc. Do this without any research

Heck I'll be impressed if you can name every member of the Vizored and what there powers were MCXC because I legit only know the name and power of Shinji's because he explains it twice
and then instantly loses

Your right, I dunno why I thought Momo wasn't a VC lol legit forgot about Rukia though :X

Still you didn't take my Arracar challenge :p
Challenge accepted

1. Apache - Harribels fraccion defeated by Yamamoto
2. Rose - Harribels fraccion defeated by Yamamoto
3. Sun-Sun (?) - Harribels fraccion defeated by Yamamoto
4. Wonderweiss - Arrancar killed by Yamamoto

Okay that's all I've got

789shadow

Banned
Challenge accepted

1. Apache - Harribels fraccion defeated by Yamamoto
2. Rose - Harribels fraccion defeated by Yamamoto
3. Sun-Sun (?) - Harribels fraccion defeated by Yamamoto
4. Wonderweiss - Arrancar killed by Yamamoto

Okay that's all I've got
You choose the most memorable one
and the 3 that appeared recently.

LOLDSFAN

please no recent AS shows unless they're free or something

I agree. Also I found the show very average so I wouldn't want to see it again.

Fun fact though. DRRR was my first group watch anime with anyone. Had a group of guys via IRC. My first and last group watch (until ToonamiGAF).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The first shippuden arc is both quite good and yet horrrrrrrrribly paced. It tells a story that should have gone 13-15 episodes in about 30.

Johnny Yong Bosch voices someone in Naruto???

Multiple people. He's also the
referee for the Chunin exam finals.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Johnny Yong Bosch voices someone in Naruto???

Yes. One of my favorite ninjas in the entire show. Plays like shit in the game though lol.

I will note that my favorite ninja of all time in Naruto is also voiced by my favorite male voice actor in English.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yes. One of my favorite ninjas in the entire show. Plays like shit in the game though lol.

I will note that my favorite ninja of all time in Naruto is also voiced by my favorite male voice actor in English.

He's pretty good in the Wii games.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I should buy naruto shippuden clash of ninja 3 or whatever its called, its like the only one I dont have.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Generally agree. The arc itself isn't bad, but it's incredibly stretched out. I believe I called it a 'slog' to watch, and it will be at one episode a week.

As someone who ignored the manga and watched all through the filler hell to get to it was painfully enjoyable. Excruciatingly fantastic.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I should buy naruto shippuden clash of ninja 3 or whatever its called, its like the only one I dont have.

It's the only really decent one on the Wii that came to America. It's not as good as GNT 3 or 4 and slightly better than its Japanese equivalent EX 3 but its better than the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom