• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT8| Our Summer War Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I tried reading the manga, but what sucks is that my library actually has the Akira manga....up until volume 6, THE LAST VOLUME. So I never got to read the final volume and see what happened....

Also, those volumes are huge. Like, the actual dimensions are about double the size of a standard manga.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I mean I've not seen the movie or read the manga, but I have been told that the title character Akira
doesn't actually appear in the movie at all

I've seen the movie so....
He shows up for a split second at the end. In the manga he's an actual character that gets plenty of screen time.

I mean I've not seen the movie or read the manga, but I have been told that the title character Akira
doesn't actually appear in the movie at all

it's not so much that the manga tells the whole story and the movie only tells half of it, it's that the movie diverges in a few key plot points and goes into less detail.

Shit, he's beginning to realize that we are all actually robots that restart our algorithm every few days.

Actions need to be taken

Debate... do I watch a bunch of YYH because my volume 3 Bluray arrived, or go to bed like a respectable human being

I think you answered your own question before you even asked it

There is only one answer, you know what it is.

Black and yellow?

Dude you already watch YYH every Toonami at 12.

As much as I enjoy Bleach, don't you compare that mess to the masterpiece that is YYH, if any series is more like Bleach it's the series Kubo tite was inspired by InuYasha

no modern day until February :( (though that's a two-parter)

While it' sad to see InuYasha cut down to only one a week, it's nice to know that the show will be around the block longer.

Speaking of that has someone figured out the new final date of InuYasha?

MikeMyers

As much as I enjoy Bleach, don't you compare that mess to the masterpiece that is YYH, if any series is more like Bleach it's the series Kubo tite was inspired by InuYasha

Haha the joke is that Bleach and YYH have a very similar concept.

That being said, I enjoy the HS scenarios in both series and the first major arc after that (Dark Tournament/Soul Society). After that I'm indifferent to both series, but I'd probably go with YYH.

4099244l.jpg

MikeMyers

I just watched an episode of Final Act and read the corresponding manga. It seems like they just rearrange events in the manga, the original anime does that too.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Inuyasha is the rare case where the tv show has a bunch of filler and is a better version of the product for it.

The only thing the manga has over the anime is more nudity. But Man God you say, it has to be better paced because it is shorter! You'd think so but most of canon Inuyasha is the same chasing Naruku around, finding obstacles, Kagura hinting a face turn, Shessy coming out of nowhere, Kagome feeling jealous of Kikyo, Sango interacting with her zombie not ninja brother, Naruku getting away. Rinse. Repeat.

Most of the best Inuyasha stuff (and I'm leaving out the amazing modern world filler) are one off filler episodes (don't get me wrong, some of the worst stuff is here too) but the real kicker is that these episodes usually develop the characters more or sometimes shockingly move along the actual plot while the "real plot" continues its death cycle.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Inuyasha is the rare case where the tv show has a bunch of filler and is a better version of the product for it.

The only thing the manga has over the anime is more nudity. But Man God you say, it has to be better paced because it is shorter! You'd think so but most of canon Inuyasha is the same chasing Naruku around, finding obstacles, Kagura hinting a face turn, Shessy coming out of nowhere, Kagome feeling jealous of Kikyo, Sango interacting with her zombie not ninja brother, Naruku getting away. Rinse. Repeat.

Most of the best Inuyasha stuff (and I'm leaving out the amazing modern world filler) are one off filler episodes (don't get me wrong, some of the worst stuff is here too) but the real kicker is that these episodes usually develop the characters more or sometimes shockingly move along the actual plot while the "real plot" continues its death cycle.

A lot of the modern world stuff is cannon from what I remember and it's also the best parts of the manga. Probably because it's the most character focused stuff. I wish there had been more of it, even the anime doesn't really make all that much filler in the modern world.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Inuyasha in the modern world is good enough to be a show on its own. Hell its probably the best spinoff comedy show I can think of outside the incredible EVA as a slice of life show.

MikeMyers

I like both versions, I noticed the characterization seems to be different. For example, in the anime Kikyo and Inuyasha loved each other, in the manga it just seems like Inuyasha follows her around and Kikyo just ignores him.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Absolutely. Bugged the hell out of me.

Kagome is still jealous as hell if I remember right. It makes sense in the anime to a certain extent but just looks silly in the manga.

MikeMyers

Absolutely. Bugged the hell out of me.

Kagome is still jealous as hell if I remember right. It makes sense in the anime to a certain extent but just looks silly in the manga.

Haha yeah, Kagome is also a lot less meaner in the comic, less SIT.

What other anime do you guys think is better than the original manga?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom