• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT8| Our Summer War Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I should have added "that was never nor will ever be made"

Based Fumoffu happened. I would jump for joy if Toonami ran FMP (or hell, just Fumoffu) as it's the perfect action comedy for the block.

I've been saying that for a while, it's got a really good dub too. The entire series is on the long side though, 50 for the original and 13 for the next two. Maybe when Bleach ends? It would be one hell of an upgrade.

The fact that they'll probably never do another season for FMP (or Spice and Wolf) saddens me immensely. Damn you Japan, damn you.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Anime better than a manga it is based on is sort of rare.

It's basically down to:

Trigun
Inuyasha
DBZ Kai (this one is close)
One Piece (also close though the anime has a really strong case for the first third or so)
Fist of the North Star

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Original series is 24 episodes. Fumoffu is 13 and Second Raid is 13. Or is Fumoffu 12 and SR 14? It's 50 episodes total regardless.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It's basically down to:

Trigun
Inuyasha
One Piece (also close though the anime has a really strong case for the first third or so)
Fist of the North Star

Also:

Ippo (if only because seeing the fights animated is amazing and the pacing is slightly improved as a result)
Level E
Yu Yu Hakusho (only the dub, which is godtier)
HunterXHunter (really anything by Togashi)
Daily Lives of High School Boys (sounds bad, but manages to be amazingly funny)

Original series is 24 episodes. Fumoffu is 13 and Second Raid is 13. Or is Fumoffu 12 and SR 14? It's 50 episodes total regardless.

I could have sworn the OG series was 50. Fumoffu is 13 and so is TSR (unless you count the extra episode).

MikeMyers

I've never read Trigun or Fist of North Star, and I wont count Kai until they do the Buu arc.

Actually without filler I think I prefer Bleach, even then I prefer some of the episodic filler over the actual canon material.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yu Yu Hakusho just for the dub.

Q9Hkz7g.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bleach works because the manga is unreadable and the show despite its flaws isn't unwatchable.

Also I can go for YYH just for the dub as well. What an incredible version.

There are plenty of anime's that have manga that came after the fact but the manga almost always sucks. Now finding one of those that was better would be quite unheard of.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah I tried reading the Bleach manga and the artwork didn't look polished, looked more like a rough draft.

It does get better as the series goes, but at the cost of all the backgrounds and detail and pacing and actual story. Really the only thing that gets better is the art, everything else just get flushed.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I can handle ugly manga, I can't follow Bleach though and lord have I tried.

One Piece while the opposite of ugly sometimes takes days to process how much is going on in each panel. I usually read a new release three or four times in a week before I truly get a handle on what is going on. Oda and his assistants are incredible.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Perfect example right there of manga based on anime sucking.

Same thing happens to basically every Gundam show that gets a manga version.

Then there's the hilarious Light Novel>Anime>Manga path that usually ends up with the worst possible manga you could ever imagine.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

It's basically down to:

Trigun
Inuyasha
Fist of the North Star

The hell? Pacing alone makes the manga better than the anime. Even if the anime has some amazing moments yet to be seen...

It's basically down to:

Trigun
Inuyasha
Fist of the North Star
Gundam Wing
Ghost in the Shell (debatably)

It works better when the manga is basically a plot outline and the writers can go nuts.

Both of those went anime then manga.

GW manga is crazy balls though. So is the G Gundam one.
Yeah, corrected the Bebop one... pretty sure Wing was a manga first. Talking about the original 3 where the ending is "lol teamwork, everyone goes to mars", not the anime spinoffs. But I've been wrong before!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah, corrected the Bebop one... pretty sure Wing was a manga first. Talking about the original 3 where the ending is "lol teamwork, everyone goes to mars", not the anime spinoffs. But I've been wrong before!

I'm certain.

EDIT: To clarify both came out the same month in the same year. The manga was released as a companion piece to the show as anime takes a hell of a lot longer to produce than anime!

Perfect example right there of manga based on anime sucking.

Same thing happens to basically every Gundam show that gets a manga version.

Then there's the hilarious Light Novel>Anime>Manga path that usually ends up with the worst possible manga you could ever imagine.

I want to say that this trend doesn't apply to the Big O manga, but the majority of it was cookie cutter sci-fi, and its original stories were far less interesting that the stuff it adapted from the show's plot points. Still, those interchangeable arms are kinda cool (even if they're gimmicky as all get out).

I hope they sneak those things into a Super Robot Wars game at some point, just for kicks.

Side-story spin-offs aren't quite as bad as that on average (although the only series I can prove this with would be Gundam), but even then, it's rare to see something as good as the original. I've always thought that .hack was the only series that actually pulled off the multimedia approach, and even then it wasn't all that great.

That's a nice bit of cross-promotion. It's an excellent way to introduce an irresistible, charismatic space adventurer to a wider audience, even if Dandy has to tag along for the ride.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Sooooooooo this mean we might see SEN eventually hitting Toonami in the future?

Also, I can't help but think of Wayne's World every time I hear that title. "Soul Eater....NOT!"

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Sooooooooo this mean we might see SEN eventually hitting Toonami in the future?

Also, I can't help but think of Wayne's World every time I hear that title. "Soul Eater....NOT!"

I'd say it depends on how action-packed it is, but name recognition would probably be enough. Plus, SAO shows that only a little bit of action is enough to qualify for Toonami.

Speaking of SAO, I just learned that Bryce Papenbrook will also be playing the lead character in Blue Exorcist. He's inescapable!

Cwarrior

Mr satan showing up in his limo to fight pain cracked me up.

The hell? Pacing alone makes the manga better than the anime. Even if the anime has some amazing moments yet to be seen...

Nope,the op anime has category it's shines in, that makes it a good alternative to the manga, like a great performance by quality veteran voice actors,fantastic music by top class composers kohei tanaka & Shirō Hamaguchi and the excellent use,timing & mixing of the music are what elevates any scene.

Take for example simple scene of straw hats walking to alrong park in a badass manner is lot more awesome in the anime then it is in the manga or zoro entrance to saobondy
after time skip

The anime does phenomenal job executing the feels(like the story of fisher tiger which was even better in the anime),so I don't think there's a clear cut which is better both offer a great experience worthy of checking out both.

Dunno if I'd even want SEN. I mean, where is the story headed? Would we even see the ending of the story since Ohkubo is still working on it? It's just be the same thing all over again. No thanks. They can keep it.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'd say it depends on how action-packed it is, but name recognition would probably be enough. Plus, SAO shows that only a little bit of action is enough to qualify for Toonami.

Speaking of SAO, I just learned that Bryce Papenbrook will also be playing the lead character in Blue Exorcist. He's inescapable!

Oh jeez. Kill me now.

todd360

Its almost t-shirt time. I don't really like the first tshirt design though :( Would definitely trade someone though If I somehow manage to win the first one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom