• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT8| Our Summer War Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCG

Still characters would 180 personalities in geass without warning like s2 spoilers
when orange boy who's been trying to kill zero the whole time discovers he's really the son of his old master and suddenly allies with him

Just for the record, there was a bit of established background for that...in the DVD extras for Code Geass season one. Didn't bother me though, because the idea isn't too different from countless other series or games where a bad guy allies with the good guy after a secret is suddenly revealed. Other examples had more foreshadowing, others had even less, but a relatively common thread is that people tend to act "out of character" when shocking revelations or traumatic stuff happens to them. Sometimes that's not enough of an explanation, but I think it's still fairly valid in quite a few cases, even if the audience might be frustrated or angered by the results.

Which brings us to the new crazy episode of Valvrave. I'd tend to disagree with kayos about
Shoko herself
just "randomly" doing stuff for no reason. The character's reactions were rushed, but still went through the motions first. It's redundant to say things are stupid in this show, even more when shit's going down, but I think the real writing issue was all about
Haruto conveniently forgetting memories and not saying anything useful when asked.
Then again, I'd say the very end of the episode did some damage control both in and out of universe.

I'm excited for Akira tomorrow. I've never seen it, so hopefully it lives up to the hype. It looks dark and badass, none of the cutesy moe shit that saturates everything now.

I'm excited for Akira tomorrow. I've never seen it, so hopefully it lives up to the hype. It looks dark and badass, none of the cutesy moe shit that saturates everything now.

That's why we have to support the modern anime that are saving anime like Valvrave, Kill La Kill, and the upcoming Space Dandy

That's why we have to support the modern anime that are saving anime like Valvrave, Kill La Kill, and the upcoming Space Dandy

iR7ITXf4cgGdP.gif

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Levyne pro strats use this more often
SPEAKING OF ANIME AND MANGAKA-SAN TO ASSISTANT-SAN!!

...it's getting an anime. I...thought it was a decent series by the guy who did Doujin Work, so hoping it'll be fun to watch as well.

.....SPEAKING OF ANIME AND WEIRD SEGWAYS.

Toonami got a redesigned site, huh? Looks nice. Maybe I'll use that 3rd desktop wallpaper on the site once the new year begins. I've had my current one for quite some time now, I should probably change it soon.

You know, I can never tell where this gif begins.

It doesn't being or end,schadenfreude. it just is

That's how you know it's a quality .gif.

Like my penis.

QUALITY

SPEAKING OF ANIME AND MANGAKA-SAN TO ASSISTANT-SAN!!

...it's getting an anime. I...thought it was a decent series by the guy who did Doujin Work, so hoping it'll be fun to watch as well.

.....SPEAKING OF ANIME AND WEIRD SEGWAYS.

Toonami got a redesigned site, huh? Looks nice. Maybe I'll use that 3rd desktop wallpaper on the site once the new year begins. I've had my current one for quite some time now, I should probably change it soon.

I Just heard about that series yesterday, a friend of mine powered through it and he talked my ear off about it. I heard good things about it, so I guess I'll just wait for the show.

Gosh, I can't remember the last time I've used wallpapers for my actual desktop - I just use them to fill up space when I stream stuff.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I Just heard about that series yesterday, a friend of mine powered through it and he talked my ear off about it. I heard good things about it, so I guess I'll just wait for the show.
It's a decent little (at times ecchi) comedy, with rather short chapters (I don't think a chapter has ever gone longer than 10 pages) & considering Doujin Work, an earlier work that got an anime, was only 12 minutes long each with 12 or 13 episodes, I can see them taking this series & doing only "1/2" episodes again. Now to wait & see when it's coming out.

So random question. Aside from Love Hina *sigh*, are there any other animes that have actual "Xmas" specials? Not episodes, I know a decent amount do, but actual dedicated Xmas OVAs/specials/etc. Couldn't help but wonder after thinking about watching ones based on American cartoon adaptations of video games.

LOLDSFAN

Didn't think much of the new Toonami.com until I saw the background move. :eek:

Also we need to get a dedicated tab so we can be listed under Fan Sites hehehe.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya? Hmm, I haven't seen it, so I'm not entirely sure, though it seems to take place just a few days before it.

YES, it's the best possible Christmas anime I can think of.

Gundam 0080 would also be on my Christmas watch list. Some other shows have decent to good Christmas episodes like Big O, Love Hina, Azumanga Daioh.

ckohler

My predictions of ToonamiGAFs viewing of AKIRA:

• Lengthy debate about which dub was better (Streamline vs. Animaze)
  • Lots of "wtf" posts and general confusion by first time viewers
  • "Canada!"
  • Callouts to moments of especially bad lip syncing*
  • Extensive links to the music on YouTube throughout the film
  • Poor Kaori :(
  • General amazement in the animation

* The level of detailed animation in this movie is crazy and that goes for the accuracy of the lip syncing. Of course, the lip syncing was for the original Japanese so it often looks very off when dubbed. Be prepared.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

That was me waking up the other day to the news that Inuyasha in the modern day was moved back.

I kinda want to bombard them at the next Q+A to get them to run both episodes back to back that night (morning really) as they are the best part of the show by far and they'd only have to axe one episode of Clone Wars.

Toonami GAF Cycle

Someone post about an anime
VV
Someone else post spoilers about said anime
VV
Kakashi Sensei gif gets posted
VV
Someone post about an anime

ckohler

There's a debate? don't know how anyone could prefer the Streamline one outside of nostalgia.

There are a lot of awkward moments in the newer dub because they tried to be more literal. Both dubs are flawed for different reasons and I don't consider the newer one better.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Either way, the real winner is... the original Akira manga.
*gets pelted with rocks*

ckohler

Performances are much better though and it doesn't sound like it was recorded in a bathroom.

Agreed on the performances and audio quality. But the actors say "Kaneda!" weird and sometimes phrases that flowed more naturally in the original dub come off sounding stiff and forced.

Edit: Actually, I just watched a comparison video to refresh my memory and even the Streamline performances weren't bad. Just the sound quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom