• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT9| This thread is made of LOVE and PEACE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked the craziness, I'm also a history major/nerd so the Nazi thing also made me enjoy it. The original fma was my first anime after I stopped watching the old toonami so I may be biased.

I love history too, but I felt the opposite of you. Replacing famous figures with fma characters does not a clever story make. A lot of those scenes wasted time developing real life people who shouldn't have had screen time in an fma story regardless of what impact they had on nazi Germany.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
It was nice to visit the family but I'm back home.
What was the general reaction to the movie? I'm also exited for the new Trigun movie.
Any new Toonami news?

the general reaction is it almost broke up the band, lines were drawn in the sand and it was up to seda the stampede to bring back love and peace

Oh and bass was extra biased :p

How was I extra biased? I only read the manga last year for the first time and went into the 03 anime with an open mind and was fairly positive on it minus the stupid other world plot point. The fact CoS takes the worst plot point of fma 03 and runs with it could have either saved that plot point and made it meaningful to the story (what I hoped/expected) or completely ruined the ending to an otherwise great version of the story (which is did)

Toonami |OT9|Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gumbigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andres Charton-Haymoss Ivanovicci Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser III stampedes his way into your tv

i'm afraid of what i will become
Do not fear Bebop. Bebop is always at our side. When we show fear, it jumps at us faster than light, but if we do not show fear, it casts its eye upon us gently and then guides us into infinity...

Do not fear Bebop. Bebop is always at our side. When we show fear, it jumps at us faster than light, but if we do not show fear, it casts its eye upon us gently and then guides us into infinity...

Star+Wars+No.jpg

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I liked the craziness, I'm also a history major/nerd so the Nazi thing also made me enjoy it. The original fma was my first anime after I stopped watching the old toonami so I may be biased.

I was of the opposite opinion with the historical setting for a few reasons. One of the biggest is I know about when in our time the Earth stuff happens and the beginning parts take great pains in reflecting that time period and then they go Stupid Jetpack Hitler on us. You can't painstakingly go for historical accuracy and then start throwing later WWII era technology and outright fantastical steampunk bullshit in the same breadth and expect to retain a credible willing suspension of disbelief.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
In honor of all you guys watching Naruto, I will watch Brotherhood all the way through. Starting now. Opening theme is SO GOOD

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Use a shadow clone to help you with Rasengan....nice thinking Naruto

Naruto in a fight:

Part 1: Shadow Clones solve all problems.

Part 2:
UNLEASHING THE NINE TAILS
and Shadow Clones solve all problems, plus video game style elemental powerups to his signature attack.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I know that the author sucks at writing women and that Naruto is unusually sexist for a modern Shonen but what happens to Tsunade during the fight you're talking about is atrocious. She's the female ninja all female ninjas aspire to be and it only takes some weak ass Talk no Jutsu from Orochi to get her to the point of giving up.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I know that the author sucks at writing women and that Naruto is unusually sexist for a modern Shonen but what happens to Tsunade during the fight you're talking about is atrocious. She's the female ninja all female ninjas aspire to be and it only takes some weak ass Talk no Jutsu from Orochi to get her to the point of giving up.

I know, it's straight up embarrassing. It's so bad it makes me want to write about women just so I can prove men can do it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I know, it's straight up embarrassing. It's so bad it makes me want to write about women just so I can prove men can do it.

I wouldn't even be that mad if Orochimaru's actually had something good on her, instead it's just the same shit she's been talking about with Naruto earlier in the arc.

So a cripple and a card game nerd
who has mutant healing factor and is actually a top tier part one threat in his own right but I'm trying to downplay this.
own the crap out of her and her capable assistant in the early fight.

Konohamaru, you lucky little brat. Smothering your fucking face in Tsunade's luscious boobs

edit: Lee :( He'll find a way dammit

edit 2: There's hope for Lee yet! Thank you Based Kabuto

100 episodes in the books. I'll wait later in the day to see what's behind Kakashi's mask :p

Raxus

Hinata ends up being the most competent and useful female character in the series by the end, crazy

..and really sad. Temari comes close but then again you just have to do more than a wet dish rag to be better than 99% of the Naruto females.

End PLOT Hokage saga spoilers
BOOBS SAVE THE DAY!

bigkrev

Sorry to dredge some of this up a day later, but I'm stuck at work today with no one else around, and I'm bored.

Eh, COS is a piece of shit independent of the first series wrought with some of the most pointless deaths and fakeist angst I have seen in awhile and that isn't even getting into that last half hour giving up any semblance of coherence or plausibility led by a shallow villainess who motivations make little sense in any context.

I won't argue with you about the pointless deaths, but I will argue with you on the terms of the villain having no rational motivations.

Regardless of if it's true or not, many works of fiction use the premise that the Nazi were interested in the occult. By no means is it a stretch for a Nazi to find a man (Hoenhiem) who came "from the other side of the gate", a land that is full of wonder and people who can turn rocks into gold, and dedicate her life to crossing over the boarder. When they capture a "dragon" (Envy) from the other side, they have their ideas further reinforced.
When she finally gets to the other side, she realizes that it's not Shambala, a land of wonder, but a parallel to her own world, with human inhabitants. This scares her- it's not what she expected to find on the other side!- so she does what Nazi do- decide that all of the problems are caused by people not like herself, and commit genocide against them.
Yes, this character had a lack of development. That's because this movie had a lot of ground to cover- resolution to Ed's story in the new word, Mustangs story after the final confrontation with Bradley, Al's journey to find his brother, what happened to the remaining Homunculi, and closure for more minor characters like Winrey and Izumi. And you have less than a 2 hour block of time to tell your story. So they shortcut that by using a common trope to tell you all you need to know about a character. When I play Batman: Arkham Asylum, there is no scene explaining why Batman can't pick up the guns or knives that enemies drop in battle- because it assumes that you know who Batman is, and that using a gun is something he would never do. In this case, they take the trope of an Evil Nazi obsessed with the occult (just like Raiders of the Lost Ark!), and use that to explain the actions instead of spending valuable time creating a backstory for her.

I just felt bad when Alt. Al walked in, coughing his lungs out, and Ed just... goes on with what he had to say. Ed's a focused boy, but he's not oblivious. Heck, his mother died from what COULD have been simple sickness. He should have been scared out of his wits, and worried about losing a 2nd Al all over again.

I thought it was fairly obvious Ed doesn't really care about him as "Alphonse", and instead just sees him as an end to a means. Early on in the movie, when Al is getting ready to have his rocket demonstration, Ed just goes to take a nap in the truck instead of being with him for support when it's time for the actual launch. He has lived in this world for a decent period of time by this point, and the reason he is with Alphonse is more due to rocketry (which, as a scientist, Ed is fascinated by as it doesn't exist when he is from) than the fact that he looks like his brother. By the point we are at the movie, Ed has realized that despite appearances, they aren't the same people. He only freaks out when he sees a copy of Bradley, who he knows wasn't a "real person" on his side. He shows emotion when Alphonse dies, but that's more about him sacrificing himself for Ed than loving him like a brother.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Al mentions it before he dies but he's right on the money; Ed thinks this world is just a dream (or possibly Hell or Purgatory) and doesn't think they are really real.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
When she finally gets to the other side, she realizes that it's not Shambala, a land of wonder, but a parallel to her own world, with human inhabitants. This scares her- it's not what she expected to find on the other side!- so she does what Nazi do- decide that all of the problems are caused by people not like herself, and commit genocide against them.

It just felt like such a shallow idea, that she'd instantly try to destroy this new WORLD she just came to. I could understand if Amestrias Was the ONLY place in existence; if there were no other continent, culture, tribes, etc. But she went to a place with people much stronger than her, and with a small army, decides to settle into all-out WAR from the first moment.

It was truly a panic reaction, but it still feels kinda poorly developed. I would have preferred her to get there, try to implement martial law with a show of pride and might... then have the stronger, clearly superior power put her in her place, and THEN have her panic.

Looking at the idea on it's own "Nazi gonna Nazi, but you can't pull that crap off VS FMA's Alchemist!", I can just point and laugh at her character, for being revealed to be as cowardly and shallow as I'd want to believe a Nazi be.But as a fan of FMA 03, I just want a more well-rounded character.

I thought it was fairly obvious Ed doesn't really care about him as "Alphonse", and instead just sees him as an end to a means. Early on in the movie, when Al is getting ready to have his rocket demonstration, Ed just goes to take a nap in the truck instead of being with him for support when it's time for the actual launch. He has lived in this world for a decent period of time by this point, and the reason he is with Alphonse is more due to rocketry (which, as a scientist, Ed is fascinated by as it doesn't exist when he is from) than the fact that he looks like his brother. By the point we are at the movie, Ed has realized that despite appearances, they aren't the same people. He only freaks out when he sees a copy of Bradley, who he knows wasn't a "real person" on his side. He shows emotion when Alphonse dies, but that's more about him sacrificing himself for Ed than loving him like a brother.

Obvious, sure, but I just find it kind of a misstep. But maybe it's Ed's "This is all just a dream" nature that I not only dislike in him, but in the whole movie itself in general; as big and important as these characters are in the movie, we're forced to look at them as simply parallels to a more interesting, more "real" world. Our main guide in the story barely seems to care about them, so he's telling us not to care, either...

... which kinda sucks, because we spend a LOT of time there. I'd have liked to see these people creep more and more into Ed's heart, and for him to have more difficulty with his choices and decisions. It would have done the story, and Ed, a service. Instead, this is just forced into his face by Alt. Alphonse, and we get that moment, him passing by Noah, and then him seeing Alphonse dead, as the only real points of him facing their reality.

This all would have probably been handled really well if this were a mini-series, but I think I feel it was just too much for the movie's boundaries.

Basically, I would have liked Ed to have grown up as much as Winry had. She seemed to have taken all the things that had happened in front of her, and just gotten stronger from it all. Instead of waiting for the Elrics to return, she went out and actively did something about it. She was as prepared and forward-thinking about each situation she got into as she could be. She reminded me that we'd been through a series before getting here, whereas Ed just felt like his growth stunted. I felt like I saw more progression of character from her than Ed.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Can someone post the episode numbers from this past weekend? I'm trying to play catch up with the late night stuff.

12:00 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Conqueror of Shamballa
2:30 - FLCL - 2 - Fire Starter
3:00 - Star Wars: The Clone Wars - 19 - Storm Over Ryloth
3:30 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 58 - Sacrifices
4:00 - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - 9 - CHAT! CHAT! CHAT!
4:30 - IGPX - 9 - Holiday
5:00 - Inuyasha - 117 - Vanished in a River of Flames
5:30 - Inuyasha - 118 - Into the Depths of Mt. Hakurei

Viola,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom