• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Sep14| This is our Final Dandy, baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
zlCfzSajSkYBoN8zTi

zlCfzSajSkYBoN8zTi

zlCfzSal2FELRZz0SP
zlCfzSamNBEjmeOUur

zlCfzSambLYbMMx1-t
zlCfzSamy6QcjWAswM

zlCfzSanaOU28_ttYW
zlCfzSant1MvhS4487

zlCfzSan-iEKJpkeNL
zlCfzSaoWQg6zjx5T4

zlCfzSaosRIl3fEngc
zlCfzSapDgMDrf3kuj

zlCfzSapNNgdbueXXi

WRRRYYYYYTER

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Next week on Toonami:

11:30 - Attack on Titan - 18 - Forest of Giant Trees: The 57th Exterior Scouting Mission, Part 2
12:00 - Bleach - 359 - Sorrowful Battle! Ichigo vs. Sado & Orihime
12:30 - Space Dandy - 24 - An Other-Dimensional Tale, Baby
1:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 36 - The Fake Smile
1:30 - One Piece - 270 - Give Robin Back! Luffy vs. Blueno!
2:00 - Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - 4 - Having Lots of Faces Doesn't Make You Great!
2:30 - Beware the Batman - 18 - Games
3:00 - Hellsing Ultimate - 1 - Hellsing I
4:00 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 29 - Struggle of the Fool
4:30 - Cowboy Bebop - 7 - Heavy Metal Queen
5:00 - Star Wars: The Clone Wars - 55 - Pursuit of Peace
5:30 - Samurai Jack - 32 - Jack and the Traveling Creatures

Later.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sounds like a winner to me!

(I was not expecting tonight's episode of Bleach to be that good, it's one of the best in years.)

FMA:B: Poor May. Dreams shattered in an instant.

Bebop: Had the episode on mute so I could play the Curtain Call demo in peace. Was only interested in the final 5 minutes

Clone Wars: It's Star Wars, so I don't give a fuck

Samurai Jack: Sekt minions were giving Jack a proper ass whooping. And Jack asking the giant Phahroh if it knew the location of a time portal was hilarious

All in all, a good night. Even though I was watching the shows in a hotel room and barely got online.

I'm hoping that the power gets restored in my house later today or at least Monday. Cause if that shit don't come back on before I attempt to get my copy of Destiny at midnight Tuesday, heads will fucking roll

Times like these I wish I had a Female Titan >.>

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Can't sleep for some reason so I'll do an insomniac review:

AoT: One of the best episodes period. Entertaining throughout.

Bleach: One of the best episodes in YEARS. Even the voice acting was better than usual.

Dandy: Holy Shit great episode.

Shippuden: Off spec animation but very good for a talky talky episode of the series.

One Piece: Is going somewhere quick. Not the best episode in recent memory but not bad either.

TTGL: I like this one. Don't like the Mecha design in this series but two of the better ones are in this episode. Really like the next episode.

BtB: Surprisingly one of the better episodes of the series. Still the worst thing on tonight by a mile.

Black Lagoon: I don't really like the finale outside the post credit sequence. Rock is right, the girl is just being childish when she was finally given a perfect out but no, she wanted to go out like a rockstar. Still an incredible episode.

Naruto: Always liked this one, wish we had continued the series. Next episode in particular is fun.

FMA:B: Father is a moron. Ling is a bigger idiot. Bad guys are almost One Piece bad at killing anyone.

Cowboy Bebop: Not my favorite episode. Demon/Vampire kid who can't be killed and a really bad technobabble reason why not. Good music though and the best line in the series at the beginning, also an important bit of foreshadowing.

Star Wars: Pretty much the best you could hope for with a Padme/Ahsoka episode about different sides in a conflict. Problem is we still don't have a fleshed out reason for the non evil corporation/robot army players in the Separatists so the whole heroes and villains on both sides thing just doesn't jive.

Samurai Jack: Weird fucking episode. Cool, but weird.

Impressions from the premieres I watched last night

Bleach
Things certainly started off a bit rocky but this turned into a pretty great episode. After training in the hyperbolic time chamber with Ginjo and Marcus, with a little help from his PSP, Ichigo comes home to Tsukishima sitting in his living room chatting it up with his sisters. A lot of people laughed off this moment because 'lol Bleach' but this was a genuinely surprising twist I don't think very many people saw coming. After Tatsuki and the rest of Ichigo's lame friends show up all claiming to know Tsukishima as his cousin, Ichigo starts to panic and freak out, which admittedly was done in a comical fashion. After fleeing the house he runs into Ginjo who claims Tsukishima used his fullbring power to turn Xcution against him, leaving Ichigo as the only person he can trust.

I really like Tsukishima as a villain because he isn't your classic Bleach overpowered antagonist, although Kubo still hasn't figured out how to craft a compelling story without some type of dues ex machina. Tsukishima's fullbring has three powers that we know of:

1. It can cut like a normal sword

2. It can alter a victim's memories. Tsukishima generally inserts himself into the past of a person as a friend or relative and if this person notices any inconsistencies, they suffer a mental collapse that destroys their mind

3. If Tsukishima cuts you a second time, all your original memories return

Tsukishima effectively broke Ichigo without having to cut him which would have been a difficult task considering his combat abilties. By inserting himself into the past of friends and family, Ichigo has begun to question his own sanity, which is why he freaked out so hard. Luckily, he ran into Ginjo, who just happens to be the only 'sane' person around who realizes what's going on.

B

Space Dandy
Oh man, where do I even start with this episode? This week we find Dandy moonlighting as Scarlet's boyfriend as she tries to avoid a jealous ex..and by jealous, I mean psychotic stalker with a giant mech. The first thing I want to point out is how gorgeous the art is in this show. Dandy's preppy valley boy look, Scarlet's baywatch inspired swimsuit, the South Beach in space backdrop, a giant mobile doll...the amount of love and attention to detail that goes into Space Dandy never ceases to amaze me. The music, as always, was top tier as well, I'm dying to get my hands on the OST. It's 8AM and I'm still sitting here humming some of the tracks in my head. Really love how they've infused heavy synths with electronica to create a unique sound as far as anime goes.

The real pull of this episode came from the character development we got from both Scarlet and Dandy. For the first time, we saw Dandy actually care for a woman (no, loli girl is not a woman) on an emotional level instead of purely for physical purposes. Scarlet let that wall down as well and ended up falling for our bumbling hero who turns out to be a pretty smooth dude she shares a lot of interests with, such as action movies! I know we all had a collective meltdown when neither party could admit their feelings to each other but that preview next week gave me hope we might get some type of resolution to this tease.

The story was compelling. I genuinely laughed out loud numerous times. The music was excellent. There was character development. What else could you ask for? Well, besides the obvious. This is my new favorite episode of Dandy, can't wait to rewatch this one over and over again.

A+

Shippuden
Another Saturday night, another 30 minutes of wasted air space. I can't get over how terrible the pacing is in this show, seems like they did nothing but talk the whole episode. Sai seems like a cool character, it was hilarious to see him trash talk his teammates with a shit eating grin, especially Sakura.

D

One Piece
Was only half paying attention to One Piece but it was pretty much nothing but Luffy and company wrecking canon fodder marines. The real fun starts next week when we get the Blueno
from the bar
fight. Not much to say about last night but things will be kicking into high gear again soon. I'm looking forward to it.

C+

Gurren Lagann
I will never get over the fact that Yoko is 14, that just creeps me out but hey, ANIME. I know I talked about this during the live-watch but the background art in this show is fantastic, I'm really digging the water color visuals. Still not a fan of the mech designs but we'll see if they grow on me. This seemed like another set up episode with a villain of the week but it looks like the story will start to kick off next week now that the whole gang (I'm presuming) is together.

B-

Beware the Batman
This show is ugly. Batman is dumb. Katana is annoying. Harvey Dent is a twat. The 3rd rate villains suck. There's no meaningful character development. The music is generic.

I appreciate trying to clear up what happened with whats-his-face from an earlier episode, but this just made me realize how little I care about these characters. This show is awful.

D-

Black Lagoon
Wow, what a finale! Balalaika is cold as ice and Rock still has gigantic cojones. That climatic fight was excellent and the suicide genuinely shocked me. I'm going to miss Black Lagoon, it never got the ratings it deserved.

A-

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Good morning everyone.
Pretty interesting night overall.
Hilarious work SAB.

Attack on Titan
And thus we meet the Female Titan, who is actually intelligent and is obviously a Titan Shifting Human. I'm sure if you've been paying attention you can figure out who she is.

Bleach
KAMEN RIDER ICHIGO. I remember when this chapter came out and people had a field day at how stupid that was.
Oh right and Facebook shows why he has that nickname.

Space Dandy
This isn't a matter of "shipping", it's called good chemistry. That's why the ending hurts. But it was a great episode overall.

Shippuden
Studio Pierrot really showed their bizarre budgeting when this all-exposition episode had shockingly good animation. Couldn't they have saved money for when a fight actually happens?

One Piece
Aw yeah, Luffy vs. Blueno! It's on!

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan
The hype keeps in drilling further. It was obvious that the two robots would combine after the second one was introduced. But I imagine this will increase the hype of the battles.

Beware the Batman
Even Greg Weisman can't save this pile of garbage. How do you fuck up Harvey Dent? Batman: TAS worked him in beautifully, showing up for a few episodes as Bruce's friend, then in the Two-Face two-parter, showcase that he's been hiding demons, and then turn him into Two-Face to fully bring those demons out. BtB's Harvey Dent is just a dick.

Black Lagoon
And so, another series comes to a close. A rather violent close too. As I mentioned, the manga did not shy away from showing Yukio impaling her neck (Chapter 38).
As for what's next? You've got two options. Start the manga (Chapter 43), or check out Roberta's Blood Trail (5-part OVA). Though after the OVA ends, there's another arc that has yet to be animated because Rei Hiore won't make new chapters for some reason (anyone know why?)
Overall, Black Lagoon is one hell of a show. It saddens me the ratings weren't so hot (it might have been too dark for the Toonami audience. ... And yet the AS audience will gladly watch that horrid looking Mr. Pickles show. What the fuck?)

Next time, Hellsing Ultimate begins to show how a real vampire does battle!

Crashed somewhere between the end of uncut naruto and fma:b, blah I really need my family to finish the basement watching Toonami on my bed isn't doing me any favors lol

Rutger

Banned
Good work SAB CA.

I'm glad to see One Piece is starting to move forward, the last few episodes were a little bit of a drag.
I hear we have five recap episodes coming up soon though, I'm not looking forward to that.

Gurren Lagann was fun. The first combination scene never gets old, the characters find a goal to work towards, and we were introduced to Viral. Not a bad episode.

It's sad to see Black Lagoon go. I haven't seen the show in years and it was fun to watch it again. Hellsing Ultimate should be a fun replacement, but Black Lagoon is one of a kind and will be missed.

With the exception of Beware The Batman and Shippuden everything was awesome last night, I don't blame Naruto for making me fall asleep I blame that on a long day of work, me watching tv in my comfy bed, and not taking a nap. Will watch the rest of the block tonight or tomorrow

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Holy crap, it's been so long since I slept until almost noon....But here it is, guys. There might be a small margin of error, but it should be pretty close since I watch with subtitles on.

THE BLEEPIN' BLACK LAGOON SWEAR & BLEEP COUNT:

Episode 1:

Swears: 29
Bleeps: 3

Episode 2:

Swears: 18
Bleeps: 4

Episode 3:

Swears: 40
Bleeps: 2 (tied for least bleeps)

Episode 4:

Swears: 8 (least swears made)

Episode 5:

Swears: 25
Bleeps: 7

Episode 6:

Swears: 14
Bleeps: 11

Episode 7:

Swears: 27
Bleeps: 25

Episode 8:

Swears: 16
Bleeps: 7

Episode 9:

Swears: 22
Bleeps: 21

Episode 10:

Swears: 20
Bleeps: 12

Episode 11:

Swears: 26

Episode 12:

Swears: 36
Bleeps: 18

Episode 13:

Swears: 23
Bleeps: 19

Episode 14:

Swears: 19
Bleeps: 13

Episode 15:

Swears: 17

Episode 16:

Swears: 45
Bleeps: 17

Episode 17:

Swears: 32
Bleeps: 17

Episode 18:

Swears: 46 (most swears made)

Episode 19:

Swears: 15

Episode 20:

Swears: 21

Episode 21:

Swears: 12

Episode 22:

Swears: 34
Bleeps: 18

Episode 23:

Swears: 13

Episode 24:

Swears: 11

TOTAL SWEARS MADE: 569
TOTAL BLEEPS MADE: 284

Average swears per episode: ~ 24 (23.7)
Average bleeps per episode: ~ 12 (11.8333)

LOLDSFAN

I'm glad to see One Piece is starting to move forward, the last few episodes were a little bit of a drag.
I hear we have five recap episodes coming up soon though, I'm not looking forward to that.

How can there be a five episode recap!?!?!

All they've done for like the past million episodes is recap them entering Enies Lobby!!!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tamanon

Banned

All they've done for like the past million episodes is recap them entering Enies Lobby!!!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I *THINK* it's a recap of the earlier character arcs.

Raxus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I know it is a joke but here is an honest answer. IIRC One Piece switched times around this period and during the switch to this (and 1 to 1 pacing) we wound up with 5 episodes recapping the Straw Hats backstories with Straw Hat theater to ease the pain a bit.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Basically, because they switched time slots, they wanted to fill new viewers in. & considering how many episodes in they were (we're at 270), that's a lot to cover for anyone who hasn't seen the show. At least this makes sense compared to "let's use a recap of a 24 episode series at episode 12". Not to mention, on Toonami, we didn't even start at the beginning of the series.

Actually, now that I think about it, I wonder why we started so far behind. Why not the arc after
the 2 other crew members that we haven't met yet join up
? Granted, we'd miss out on Enies Lobby, but we wouldn't be as far behind as Japan is.

Actually, now that I think about it, I wonder why we started so far behind. Why not the arc after
? Granted, we'd miss out on Enies Lobby, but we wouldn't be as far behind as Japan is.

Toonami started at the point where the series switches to HD. Plus, the Davy Back Fight was the first canon arc after the point where Cartoon Network left off (at Skypiea). Also, Funimation is dubbing the series in order, and they're still releasing the arc after Enies Lobby.

Tamanon

Banned
Basically, because they switched time slots, they wanted to fill new viewers in. & considering how many episodes in they were (we're at 270), that's a lot to cover for anyone who hasn't seen the show. At least this makes sense compared to "let's use a recap of a 24 episode series at episode 12". Not to mention, on Toonami, we didn't even start at the beginning of the series.

I don't think those episodes are dubbed yet.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I don't think those episodes are dubbed yet.

Almost.
The next DVD set (337-348) comes out at the end of the month (September 30th to be precise). Same day as One Piece Film Z
The set after that (349-360) is coming out in November.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Toonami started at the point where the series switches to HD. Plus, the Davy Back Fight was the first canon arc after the point where Cartoon Network left off (at Skypiea). Also, Funimation is dubbing the series in order, and they're still releasing the arc after Enies Lobby.
Ahh, right, forgot Cartoon Network was in the middle of the Skypiea arc. Even went back to finish it myself earlier this year. I guess that would make sense.

Jarate

Banned
Honestly, Toonami should really start airing some of the early episodes of One Piece in the late time slow. Itd be nice to show people earlier episodes of One Piece

For the next OT Title, I'm voting for the one I gave earlier

Toonami |Sep14| The bird of Saturday is my name, watching anime to make me tame

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm sure the next subtitle will be Hellsing-related, but still wanna throw out my suggestion from last night.

Toonami |OT| A Place For Manly Souls

I mean, learning about luffy, zoro, sanji, chopper, usopp, nami, and robin's motivations would be nice though
I think that's the point of these upcoming recap episodes that we've been hearing about. Backstories/summaries of the crew members for those who haven't seen the previous 270+ episodes before.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Guys, maybe it's actually a two-parter & next week will get the ending that we want to see! It'll just be an ex crazy about Dandy instead of the ex crazy about Scarlet.

daveo42

Banned
Ended up missing the entire block last night. Hope you guys loved the end of Black Lagoon.

Just watched the episode of Dandy from last night. I'm actually pretty sad things didn't work out for them in the end. It was another stellar episode with another stellar soundtrack.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
we'd be there for 6 years though.

It would take them 4 years at one a week.

I think that's the point of these upcoming recap episodes that we've been hearing about. Backstories/summaries of the crew members for those who haven't seen the previous 270+ episodes before.

Specifically it deals with their origins, though it has some issues.

One Piece timeline spoilers.
Luffy's real origin story doesn't start until after this arc is over and doesn't get filled out until...the arc immediately preceding the time jump while Robin's backstory is the event immediately preceding these recaps, so you get the same thing twice in a month and a half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom