• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |SepOct17| 1 + 1 = YEAH!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Tokyo Ghoul is the worst show I've seen on TOONAMI. I was comfortable rating it around 3rd just with the first season, but it's worse than GXP or Thundercats. The second season has almost no redeeming qualities. GXP had the mind breaking finale and Thundercats at least had the really good pilot movie. Tokyo Ghoul's best feature was the Omake, followed by the ending card art, followed by a decent but not spectacular dub.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So far I would say Super does not deserve the level of discussion and fandom it seems to generate. It feels like a bread sandwich.

I'm basically just watching Super for the good dub and the jokes.

It's not exciting in the slightest.

Tokyo Ghoul is the worst show I've seen on TOONAMI. I was comfortable rating it around 3rd just with the first season, but it's worse than GXP or Thundercats.

I stopped watching Tokyo Ghoul REAL early. Looks like I made the right choice.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Tokyo Ghoul is the worst show I've seen on TOONAMI. I was comfortable rating it around 3rd just with the first season, but it's worse than GXP or Thundercats.
Despite being double the episodes, I honestly might take rewatching GXP over TG S2 just because I can freakin' comment on how hilariously bad GXP is.

Boring bad to the point you just feel drained of energy is one of the worst kinds of awful you can experience. We give SAO crap, but it was still fun with how bad it was.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Despite being double the episodes, I honestly might take rewatching GXP over TG S2 just because I can freakin' comment on how hilariously bad GXP is.

Boring bad to the point you just feel drained of energy is one of the worst kinds of awful you can experience. We give SAO crap, but it was still fun with how bad it was.

Yep. Put it this way; TG season one by itself barely beat GXP in my head to earn the third spot, and season 2 is much worse. Akame Ga Kill! and Beware the Batman stomped season one.

I will never, ever watch Tokyo Ghoul again. I will be extra salty if it shows up as the Halloween Marathon (It's probably going to be Jim Jam or maybe Super) I am so happy that 2nd Gig HD is running in the rerun slot. I would have preferred TOONAMI LOSING THE SLOT AGAIN over a reair of TG.

Had 5 interviews today, 3 of which are for internships/full time that would start in January. Here's hoping I can be fully back in 2018 no strings attached.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Is that an actual argument from someone in favor of it?

It's something I heard a bunch when S2 started airing. Four episodes in and its cheesecake time. I didn't even have to mention the referee for that round was a dominatrix in a skin tight cat suit, I just made the gif.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I kind of hope we separate TG by season for the end of year awards, because they're bad for completely different reasons.

zulux21

It's something I heard a bunch when S2 started airing. Four episodes in and its cheesecake time. I didn't even have to mention the referee for that round was a dominatrix in a skin tight cat suit, I just made the gif.

to be fair it's not like shonen is a great genre for female empowerment.

I think the promised neverland might be the best with it that is currently releasing?

Man God

Non-Canon Member

I think the promised neverland might be the best with it that is currently releasing?

That was the point I was making. Sometimes you get something that's ahead of the curve like FMA or hell even Soul Eater, and most of the time the genre named for young boys gets some shit written for young boys, including all the baggage that goes along with it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Now that I think about it, worst show is going to be really easy this year.

- Unicorn
- Tokyo Ghoul
- Tokyo Ghoul √A

√A wins

I can't even jokingly nominate Kai because at least Kai evokes emotion from me.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Unicorn has incredible music and some really good animation in parts, is still a bad show.
Tokyo Ghoul has....OMAKE! Bad french rapist cannibal!
Square Root of A has...No Chill Armin? But if I wanted No Chill Armin I'd just watch AoTS2, which is great.

I'm really enjoying MHA, but it's shounen as all hell. There are only two(?) female pro heroes, and they're fan service.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
That was the point I was making. Sometimes you get something that's ahead of the curve like FMA or hell even Soul Eater, and most of the time the genre named for young boys gets some shit written for young boys, including all the baggage that goes along with it.

YYH is full of a lot of questionable or out right ugly shit. Yusuke demeaning and groping that trans demon character was pretty gross and of course all the fondling and shit of Keiko. That said its impressive that he seemed to make such a turn around in dealing with such characters an issues first in Level E and then HxH. He's not perfect still but I'm guessing maybe his wife helped open his eyes a bit and for a Shonen author he's leagues beyond most of his contemporaries.

caliph95

I like the arc and I admit it is moving slow.
It doesn't help whole episodes are dedicated to riff raff with an occasional good joke sprinkled in than run to the ground. Character based eps are by far the best and yes they are saving their load for the finale it seems....I hope.

I wonder how many people are still
waiting for Tien to be cool...

Outside of
a couple of U6 characters
the whole lot can die.
Cabba
can remain so he can continue being shitted on.
I agree with Morlas on what they should do

Because otherwise my problem is the lack of tension between fights because a lot of them are just jobbers and riff raff with gimmicks I find a lot of the fights boring because they are too many scrubs and u7 is no danger until Jiren does something

For example With the build up the Pride Troopers they end being a joke abd just waiting for Jiren ro do something and Stuff like Ribranne with them not really selling her being strong

It's still entertaining but wasted potential to me

caliph95

I'm really enjoying MHA, but it's shounen as all hell. There are only two(?) female pro heroes, and they're fan service.
There are more but yeah

Doesn't help with the anime seems to add more

And one character has a reason to be reveling that is better than "breath through your skin" but I remember anime thread basically stating would have been better with a sports bra
YYH is full of a lot of questionable or out right ugly shit. Yusuke demeaning and groping that trans demon character was pretty gross and of course all the fondling and shit of Keiko. That said its impressive that he seemed to make such a turn around in dealing with such characters an issues first in Level E and then HxH. He's not perfect still but I'm guessing maybe his wife helped open his eyes a bit and for a Shonen author he's leagues beyond most of his contemporaries.
Togashi is really better than the common shonen in regards to that

Even in YYH besides Yusuke groping and their reaction Yusuke still basically treat her seriously probably said he did and the joke doesn't seem to be on her

And there was Sensui and his demon partner which is better than most manga

Man God

Non-Canon Member
In Unicron he basically recognizes right away who the bad guys are and does his best to get in their way despite them having the ear of the Federation, so he spends most of his time off screen.

Raxus

There are more but yeah

Doesn't help with the anime seems to add more

And one character has a reason to be reveling that is better than "breath through your skin" but I remember anime thread basically stating would have been better with a sports bra

The anime is really bad with women, plain and simple. Tsyu is the only one out of the bunch to escape unscathed. Invisible girl too but she is well....Invisible. Poor Ochako lost her more realistic frame for that of a typical shonen female which is a damn shame.

MHA has its issues with female characters like all shonen but it and HxH to an extent do a lot of things better than most of the other stuff in the magazine.

Assassination Classroom had some great female characters too IIRC.

Golden standard for me is still FMA:B tho.

Morlas

If there's one thing I can give Kishimoto credit for he didn't do a ton of male gaze shit
it was the female characterization that was shit

caliph95

Assassination Classroom had some great female characters too IIRC.

Has some fanservice and apparently the anime cut some development from the manga but absolutely
If there's one thing I can give Kishimoto credit for he didn't do a ton of male gaze shit
it was the female characterization that was shit
It's probably why there's no male gaze

He has to remember them to focus on them

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I suppose the great failing of Hunter X Hunter in this regard is that female characters are pretty rare until Yorknew and none on the main cast.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Yea, I do think I'd rather have a crazy bad show than just a boring bad show. At least you can laugh at the former.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yea, I do think I'd rather have a crazy bad show than just a boring bad show. At least you can laugh at the former.
Exactly. The two worst kinds of bad to me are boring bad & a bad comedy because you can't laugh or have fun with either of them.

Boring bad just leaves you drained of energy & you can't laugh at a bad comedy for the most part.

Jarate

Banned
Y'all are saying that and then Neo Yokio happens a d you are going to want Tokyo Ghoul

I'd rather have mediocre then super bad personally, but awfulz shows are better group watches

BBboy20

*successfully criticizes a fat joke from a viewer within a Twitch stream of virtual anime chicks shooting waterguns at each*

.....what am I? O.O

Xe4

Banned
Am I the only one here who genuinely enjoyed
the first 3/4 of
Unicorn?

I can recognize it's a well made show, especially with respect to production values. If I had watched it on my own, with a deep knowledge of Gundam lore, I would have probably enjoyed it.

That said, it was not a good show for Toonami, required far too much knowledge of the Gundam universe (which most didn't have) and was exhausting to get through at 2 AM.

Certainly, it's nowhere near the shitfest either season of Tokyo Ghoul was.

Chase17

Time for a dumb tier list for female characters in current Jump manga series!

Ideal tier:
-World Trigger: A battle shonen where there are great female characters (and fights with them), the author is in the midst of an 80 chapter arc that has a key focus on developing the main female character, and there is zero fan service. What's the catch? It's been in hiatus for almost a year :(
-Promised Neverland
-Gintama

So far so good tier:
Shudan! (soon to be cancelled)

Heavily utilized and competent but ridiculous fan service keeps them from ideal tier...tier:
-Food Wars

The "Why don't you use them more?" tier:
-HxH
-My Hero Academia
-Kimetsu no Yaiba

"Why are they dressed/drawn that way?" tier:
-One Piece
-Black Clover
-Dr. Stone

"No seriously, why are they dressed/drawn that way?" tier:
-Boruto

"Female characters? What are those?" tier:
-Hinomaru Zumou (to be fair, this is a bit better than the other two here due to the cool karate teacher)
-Haikyuu
-Robot x Laserbeam

Unranked tier:
The gag and romance series (and HM) that I don't know anything about.

Top Bottom