• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |SepOct17| 1 + 1 = YEAH!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I like Eva simply for Anno's long term disdain for his own audience. He was doing the whole Rick and Morty shitting on the viewers thing a decade earlier.

Seda

I think Attack on Titan actually does pretty right by its female characters. At least, by the standards of its universe. Sure Mikasa is too Eren-crazy, but it doesn't nullify the fact that many of the strongest characters in that series are women. Many characters who carry the plot along are women.There's no big difference in uniform between male and female soldiers for cheap fanservice. While there is a bit of an uncomfortable joke a bit later on, Christa and Ymir's relationship is never made out to be something strange.

I agree. Attack on Titan is a pretty good example of modern anime with pretty good female characters and representation. Hanzo(?) is one of the most competent characters (although she comes with an eccentric character trait, though that has nothing to do with gender), Ymir and Historia are built as a geniunely believable couple, even Sasha gained a good bit of sympathy in season 2 desipte being introduced as a sort of joke character. Mikasa's character being so locked to Eren is disappointing certainly.

Also I'm not much a fan of Evangelion at all.

Evangelion is the high water mark of not only anime, but all animation created before and henceforth.
Though I'm chemically imbalanced and like weird shit, so...

Morlas

Evangelion is the high water mark of not only anime, but all animation created before and henceforth.
Though I'm chemically imbalanced and like weird shit, so...
If I wanted to watch a show with a verbally and physically abusive father and a screwed up messed up kid I'd watch family guy

Crocodile

So far I would say Super does not deserve the level of discussion and fandom it seems to generate. It feels like a bread sandwich.

You mean what's been aired on US TV not Japanese TV right? I think that's fair though most of the conversation centers around stuff that hasn't aired on US TV yet. Super gets a lot of notoriety by being a sequel to DBZ though - sans that most discussion would clearly fade but that is true of any series that's part of a long-running, famous IP.

Reposting for new page...

Episode 74 "I Have Special Eyes"
This week Grexeno, B-Dubs, ckohler, and Zonic discuss National Treasure, gum gum Piccolo, cave man Goku, Devo, swerves, raid quests, weird dreams, Talk no Jutsu, and a hilarious cat girl.

Audio:
http://www.ckohler.net/toonamigafpodcast/Episode074.mp3

Timecodes:
0:01:33 News (OPM Season 2 Studio, IBO Season 2 trailer, Neo Yokio)
0:15:01 Dragonball Super
0:21:29 Dragonball Z Kai
0:26:40 Jojo: Stardust Crusaders
0:34:51 Tokyo Ghoul √a
0:39:34 Hunter x Hunter
0:44:54 Lupin the III
0:50:19 Naruto Shippuden
0:55:39 Outlaw Star
1:00:17 Wrap up

You can subscribe in your podcast app using this address:
http://www.ckohler.net/toonamigafpodcast/podcast.rss

You kind of mention it but I would even further stress that it matters less where a show is being animated and more who is directing, animating, etc. the show.Though with the loss of the first season's director (and all the staff he brought with him), I do think there is cause for concern.

Morlas

imo super starts having very good episodes starting this week, granted not all of them are great but it becomes a lot more frequent

HOT TAKE: Neo Yokio is fine and pretty transparently ironic about every facet of its premise from its main character and high society on down, the result being that it feels more like some quirky indie thing rather than an American take on anime (which, sure, can itself warrant criticism but a big chunk of the criticism seems to take the show at face value when it seems to be like...super obvious about what it's trying to convey? All these people are trying to proclaim it "so bad it's good" when that's the most basic premise).

That said, 23 minutes is way too long for its premise and if it was originally pitched as short segments for Fox's ADHD thing then it would probably have gone over better.

Morlas

QwH7v7J1tBrq0.gif

Top Bottom