• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |SepOct17| 1 + 1 = YEAH!

Morlas

I honestly preferred the original series and how it presented everything. The music was excellent as well. The manga and follow up series were goofy as fuck and make Tokyo Ghoul look blunt compared to all that edge.
Yeah but at least hellsing had fun with it

I honestly preferred the original series and how it presented everything. The music was excellent as well. The manga and follow up series were goofy as fuck and make Tokyo Ghoul look blunt compared to all that edge.

I get that. I definitely preferred how they handled Seras' arc in the first anime. I just thought the "anime original" ending kind of went off the rails.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Yeah but at least hellsing had fun with it

I get that. I definitely preferred how they handled Seras' arc in the first anime. I just thought the "anime original" ending kind of went off the rails.

Yeah the anime only ending was lame but everything that came before it was really well done. Seriously the music alone is worth it.

I will say the manga is incredibly drawn but it's so damn dumb. The author really likes a Bruce Willis and Die Hard.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Just realized something; Sasuke repeatedly joins the losing team. He joins Orochimaru and they fall, he (sort of) joins Akatsuki pretty much right as they fall. I wonder what is next for the loser.

Chase17

Just realized something; Sasuke repeatedly joins the losing team. He joins Orochimaru and they fall, he (sort of) joins Akatsuki pretty much right as they fall. I wonder what is next for the loser.
Did team Taka fail? Can't even remember what they do.
Besides Karin getting "killed".

RIP Naruto's Hokage term.

cntr

Banned
1373775536705rwsbg.jpg

Chase17

I'm not sure if it is actually a laser gun. But it definitely is a sci-fi looking gun. It has a part that glows!

While we are on death note might as well link this amusing clip here.

cntr

Banned
I understand why they did most of the dumb things in that movie, but why give him a sci-fi gun??

...that fucking scream, omg.

Not shown in the gif, but he slips on the counter and they cut right before he lands on his ass.

That killed me.

Few?

Important to note that he has a laser gun thing here too.

I thought it was just a regular gun decked out to look like a Sci-Fi blaster.
It wouldn't surprise me if they did that just because the L in this movie would totally do something that outrageous.

Yeah the anime only ending was lame but everything that came before it was really well done. Seriously the music alone is worth it.

I will say the manga is incredibly drawn but it's so damn dumb. The author really likes a Bruce Willis and Die Hard.

The OST was definitely on point. I did prefer the animation and art direction of the OVAs, but then again they also had a much larger budget to work with.

I think the only "original" series I have left to go back and watch is the 90s Hunter x Hunter. I think they padded the hell out of the Hunter's Exam though so I'm kind of reluctant.

cntr

Banned
if you want to watch an old show, you should watch Fist of the North Star

tho the manga's way better

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*checks to see how much Type-0 HD is worth to sell*

"$1.00 for PS4, $2 for X1"

Sheesh, did everyone just sell it back after getting their FF15 demo? It's not great by any means (I couldn't care less about the story, especially remembering it's suppose to take place in the FF13 universe...somehow), but I didn't think it was THAT bad.

Going back to sonic tracks for a second, Lost World had one of the best underwater themes I ever heard in a Sonic game. its soo chill I could listen to it for hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CR6kKsy_LA

All Sonic games good and bad (except for Boom ROL and Chronicles) have awesome soundtracks.

It's really good.

But it's obvious that every design tenet at the core of Sonic as a series is fucked up and stupid.

Also this game has lives and game overs in 2017. There's nothing I love more than replaying an entire zone because I got launched at top speed into spikes that I couldn't have seen coming nor reacted to.

git gud lul.

Seriously, Mania is like one of the easiest classic series games to date. I'm assuming you're new to playing classic Sonic? its understandable considering DIMPS and Sonic Team have their own fucked up imaginings on 2D classic side-scrolling that kind of warped the perception of how a classic game should work.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
tbh i forgot type-0 existed
It's one of those games where the issues seem small at first, but become bigger & more noticeable later on. The game just throws at you a whopping FOURTEEN party members, but then gives you no way to revive them if you switch them out (even if you have a damn phoenix down), & considering you're probably going to stick with using one (I just used Ace because...he seemed like the main character & had ranged attacks), it becomes frustrating when it feels as though you shouldn't have taken a huge amount of damage & now have to play as someone you're not used to, especially when I'm freakin' level 99 & fighting people who're level 30ish.

cntr

Banned
...they're not really at all similar, but reminds me a bit of FF2's level up system. It's the same kind of badly executed idea.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Type-0 has some really weird design choices.

For example, you can't take on more than 1 task/side-mission at once, which is annoying because you could easily do two or more in the same area at once, but even worse, you have to go back & report the side-mission to the original character, which then eats away at your free time, which then means you gotta use MORE free time to go back to the area for the other side mission you could've done....

My guess is, instead of having fewer party members you can constantly reheal, they gave you 14 party members that can't be revived because if you could, you'd probably be too OP.

Xe4

Banned
I've legit never played any part of any FF game ever.
Now that I think of it, I can't think of a single JRPG that I've finished.

Seda

It's been a while so I don't remember the specifics but one of type zero's weirdest elements are these in-mission challenges, where there's a pop-up at the top of the screen telling you to perform some bonus action and you are given a reward. The bonus action might be to defeat an enemy without getting hit, or to defeat all enemies in a certain area or with a certain accuracy.

IIRC it's never clear what the reward is for the challenge until you get it, and if you fail a challenge and want to retry it, you have to start the whole mission over and get back to where the challenge was. This makes more sense in the lens of a handheld PSP game, where you are killing time on the train or whatnot and redoing missions over more than once is more acceptable, but it makes it incredibly tedious for a console game. Also, these challenges were a key way to getting equipment/weapons, so you didnt want to ignore them outright either.

Also, these little challenge pop ups were a bit of an eyesore and hard to follow with all the other action going on in the game.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yup, it's really annoying when there's a few that're actually specific to the level/room & gives you something like a new summon or whatever but considering you might just ignore it, you then constantly check it & then decline to make sure it's nothing unique.

& yes, you can clearly tell this was a PSP at times with the graphics & the way cutscenes are framed. This might've been more tolerable on the Vita, but as a console game, it doesn't work as well.

Also, 14 party members, especially right from the start, is a bit overwhelming, especially when it's an action RPG & each one has their own unique moves to choose from & customize. That amount also means it's hard to actually know them because the game feels like it needs to try & equally dedicate time to each other, but I can barely remember half the names, mainly because they have weird traits like card suits (king, queen, jack), numbers (7, 8, & 9), etc.

I just decided to finally play it since it had been in my backlog for almost 2 years, as I bought it not long after I bought my PS4 (want to say it was black friday for $20), & I needed something to play while waiting for all the Sept. stuff, starting with Metroid on the 15th.

Plus it'll help me get closer to reaching 5,000 PSN trophies. Can't believe I'm close to achieving that.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Y'all talkin about final fantasy when the greatest rpg of all time is Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
God, I wish that game would get a true sequel...or an enhanced port. Freakin' loved the original & TTYD. Some of the only RPGs that I replayed just because of how fun they were & the sense of progression (getting the stronger boots & hammers, the badges, etc.).

cntr

Banned
I still prefer RPGs like M&L or Paper Mario, tbh. There's something nice about being in control of how effective attacks are and being able to defend against attacks that makes them more appealing than normal RPGs to me, especially the way M&L does it.

Helps that the goofy settings are pretty great, too.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh absolutely, the fact it feels like you have more input with your attacks is a good feeling and helps you feel more invested with battles. It's why I wish the Shadow Hearts series would get the HD treatment. I got Legend of Dragoon on sale on PSN, that seems like it'd be fun with the fact that also has input timing for attacks.

It's also why I'm so excited for the Superstar Saga remake next month. One of my favorite RPGs (can't believe I was only 12 when that came out in 2003) with a new coat of paint, cannot wait to revisit it after all these years.

I think after the SS remake, my next RPG will be Ni no Kuni 2. I try to wait a few months before playing another RPG since they can take so long & to ensure I don't get burnt out on the genre.

Seda

I am currently playing Etrian Odyssey 3.

I know dungeon crawlers are not everybody's cup of tea, but I am pretty fond of them and this game is p amazing so far.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I am currently playing Etrian Odyssey 3.

I know dungeon crawlers are not everybody's cup of tea, but I am pretty fond of them and this game is p amazing so far.

I'm a gigantic nerd for EO. III is both a high and a low for me and the series as I found out with that game something that I never thought I'd say; EO is the one and only class system I've ever found where I preferred the games without sub classes. It's one of those paralysis of choice things because of how it is implemented. III was the last EO game where I did almost everything. I don't know if I ever bothered finishing the ultimate boss in 4 and barely did in three (though I did do the NG+ to get the other class) and the final stratum is great in 3, but my true passion for the series took a step back with that one. 4 didn't exactly rekindle it though I did complete it and I still have EOU 1/2 (and Persona Q, and Etrian Mystery Dungeon) in my backlog. EO V looks to be more of what I like about the series class wise.

EO 1 and 2 though, I did everything in those games. Fought every monster, got every item, maxed every class. I know those maps like the back of my hand.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I tried to get into the EO games via Persona Q, but I gave up during the 4th dungeon because I was just getting too annoyed by the overall design & the damn F.O.Es. Plus having to choose everyone's actions before they perform them just doesn't click with me, it's thinking a little too far in ahead (which I know some people appreciate, it's more strategy/thinking, but it's not for me).

....granted, I'll probably give Persona Q2 a try just to see if things finally clicked. I tried one of the EO demos and thought it was alright. Just super glad they fill the map out when you walk over a space, I really wasn't liking the idea of having to draw my own map, but I don't mind little notes & icons.

Only way to describe it is it's a bit "too old school" for me. I also miss seeing my characters in battle since it doesn't feel as satisfying when I can actually see my character hit the enemy. My friend (who also doesn't seem to get into dungeon crawlers) says it makes the presentation feel "cheap" though I know it's more of preserving an older style of games.

Seda

I'm a gigantic nerd for EO. III is both a high and a low for me and the series as I found out with that game something that I never thought I'd say; EO is the one and only class system I've ever found where I preferred the games without sub classes. It's one of those paralysis of choice things because of how it is implemented. III was the last EO game where I did almost everything. I don't know if I ever bothered finishing the ultimate boss in 4 and barely did in three (though I did do the NG+ to get the other class) and the final stratum is great in 3, but my true passion for the series took a step back with that one. 4 didn't exactly rekindle it though I did complete it and I still have EOU 1/2 (and Persona Q, and Etrian Mystery Dungeon) in my backlog. EO V looks to be more of what I like about the series class wise.

EO 1 and 2 though, I did everything in those games. Fought every monster, got every item, maxed every class. I know those maps like the back of my hand.

I was waiting for your post!

I actually just played EO and EO2 before this. I know both those games have remakes but I really like seeing how these series start and how they evolve over time. I've played several dungeon crawlers from Experience and I had played Persona Q/Strange Journey/Etrian Mystery Dungeon so I knew what I was getting into and I pretty much already knew I would be fond of the series. The first two games are definitely pretty straightforward but I enjoyed both. There are some key differences introduced in 2 - FOEs dont give EXP, more warp points, less secret areas - but I don't know if I preferred one over the other.

EO3 definitely changes things up even more, and I haven't gotten to the subclasses yet so I'm not exactly sure how they are implemented. But it's much snappier now, and very colorful, and the music is great.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Love of map drawing and uncovering the map yourself is 50% of the greatness of EO and why the game will never last past the 3DS. They really should just stop making them after V.

I was waiting for your post!

I actually just played EO and EO2 before this. I know both those games have remakes but I really like seeing how these series start and how they evolve over time. I've played several dungeon crawlers from Experience and I had played Persona Q/Strange Journey/Etrian Mystery Dungeon so I knew what I was getting into and I pretty much already knew I would be fond of the series. The first two games are definitely pretty straightforward but I enjoyed both. There are some key differences introduced in 2 - FOEs dont give EXP, more warp points, less secret areas - but I don't know if I preferred one over the other.

EO3 definitely changes things up even more, and I haven't gotten to the subclasses yet so I'm not exactly sure how they are implemented. But it's much snappier now, and very colorful, and the music is great.

Reminds me of something else 3 did well but they sort of messed up in 4. The way they present the story. I'm mainly a story over mechanics guy when it comes to RPGs. EO 1 and 2 are very barebones with how they deploy the story but they also tell it very competently by showing the player the aftermath and leaving them to guess what is actually going on. Very small hints here and there. This obviously works better in 1 than 2 as they have basically the same plot taking place in different areas of the world at roughly the same time, so anyone whose played 1 knows what they are in for, but it's still done well and tells it in such a way that fans of the first will still enjoy how it unravels. 3...is when they started trying to tell a story with the NPCs instead of almost entirely with the environment. This coincides almost to the year when Pokémon started doing the same thing, and it just complicates the experience. 4 is much worse in this regard. It cares too much about its NPCs and not enough about this weird wacky horrifying world they are in.

EO Untold is a series that amps up the character driven story by having an anime ass mode that is entirely character driven...and interestingly enough this actually works better than 3 and 4 in a way by going over the top with it. The characters are funny and I'm in the middle of the story mode of both games when I left off despite having the choice to play them basically straight up like I did a decade before. Atlus is pretty good at that type of anime writing that makes me giggle. My reasons for not getting super far in either one aren't from lack of desire but lack of the life I used to lead where I could sit still and play these games from dusk to dawn for a week or two in a row.

As far as the difference between EO 1 and 2 it's mainly the story of refinement. All of the classes that sucked in EO 1 are good in EO 2. Most of the new classes are unbalanced on the weak end of the spectrum. The only class to get noticeably worse is Healer, but that's because of how various behind the scenes mechanics changed more than anything. Drops are more fair in EO 2. Grinding is based on repeating bosses more than anything, though if you explore every nook and cranny naturally you'll be appropriate/over leveled. FOEs not giving EXP added more of a reason to avoid them for normal parties. They also made them more threatening in general. EO 2 also doesn't have that awful font that one does.

EO III is great because it has a fun minigame in the puzzle map, the classes are new and weird (this continues into 4) and the map design (this sadly doesn't continue into 4) is basically as good as it will ever be.

It feels like I'm harping on 4 a lot when it's still the game I'd suggest for anyone who is interested in the series to start with. The demo for it is fantastic. The levels look good and the classes are better balanced for the sub class system. It's generally easier and more friendly than the first three games. It's the story and for the first time the dungeon design that really lets this one down. Not having one uber labyrinth stinks presentation wise, but I could live with it if the floors of the main dungeons were as good as the ones in the previous games. They by and large do not. Nor do the mini dungeons make up for it like say in BotW where the 120 shrines are the real dungeons of the game. They just feel like chores. Battle mechanic wise I really like how everything in four works, and I find the class system here a bit better balanced overall, but still maybe a bit too much for me.

Morlas

How are the stories in the later eo games? I really enjoyed pq but I don't know if I could get into it without the fun personalities to break up the dungeon crawling every once in a while

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Love of map drawing and uncovering the map yourself is 50% of the greatness of EO and why the game will never last past the 3DS. They really should just stop making them after V.
I get the appeal of drawing the map, it adds another layer of adventure to some people, but for me, it'd be like "ugh, crap, another few steps, time to mark it", which is why I'm fine with just marking borders/walls, icons to remind me what is located where, etc. I'm fine with uncovering the map, I just don't feel like having to draw it myself.

How it was implemented in later games & Persona Q was a good middle ground, plus I'm completely fine if it's an option for those who wish to fill in the map themselves since I know that's a big part of the series & I wouldn't want to take that enjoyment away from fans.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
you guys COULD see samurai jack the premiere movie in theaters on oct 16th...

....or...

...you could see THE LIVE-ACTION TOKYO GHOUL MOVIE!

....*sigh* & I'm sure my theater won't get either that No Game No Life movie or A Silent Voice since we didn't get In This Corner Of The World....

Top Bottom