• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |SepOct17| 1 + 1 = YEAH!

Mizerman

"Even though two people hate each other and would rather destroy themselves than to be friends, they really love each other and wanna bang."

Morlas

latest

Korigama

Marvel Studios got separated from Marvel Entertainment for a reason, heh.
Marvel Studios and Marvel Television are separate (things like Iron Fist and Inhumans pretty much guaranteeing that the films will never acknowledge the shows). The latter is still under the Marvel Entertainment umbrella, but not the former.

EDIT: Either way, I've probably misinterpreted this, as it seems we're on the same page in agreeing that this sort of thing is why Marvel Studios got out and never looked back.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Right, calling it now, Black Clover is a show that Toonami is going to be getting unless the rights get snapped up by somebody else.

zulux21

Right, calling it now, Black Clover is a show that Toonami is going to be getting unless the rights get snapped up by somebody else.

like say funimation for their site?

beyond that I can't imagine toonami wanting another super long running show right now. you need slots for new shows to draw in new viewers again.

bigkrev

Black Clover is the most uninspired, boring shounen I've ever read. It doesn't even have good waifus!

I really hope the general public realizes this and the series doesn't get big, but then again Trump is our president so there is zero accounting for taste

Morlas

Black Clover is the most uninspired, boring shounen I've ever read. It doesn't even have good waifus!

I really hope the general public realizes this and the series doesn't get big, but then again Trump is our president so there is zero accounting for taste
It makes sense that Trump voters would go for waifu bait and generic shit

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
like say funimation for their site?

beyond that I can't imagine toonami wanting another super long running show right now. you need slots for new shows to draw in new viewers again.

DBZ Kai ends next year and Hunter X Hunter in 2019, so there will be room for a Black Clover in the not too distant future.

Xe4

Banned
I actually followed Nujabes before I had even heard of Champloo. I should really give his stuff a listen again sometime soon.

bigkrev

I wish the US got Child of Light for PS+, was looking forward to playing that eventually. Also need to play Valiant Hearts eventually.

Meanwhile, I finally own a Sega Saturn via flea market for $60 & Crash: Wrath of Cortex since my friend's been wanting a copy for the GCN for quite some time. It feels....slow compared to the N. Sane games.

After listening to the Retronauts episode on the Saturn in 2008, I went on Ebay and bought a Saturn. It really confused my non-gamer roomate.

I bought D and Enemy Zero (it was a $30ish game then, not the $150 game it is now), as hearing them talk about Enemy Zero on both that Saturn episode and the Survival Horror episode of Retronauts was what made me really want the system. I also grabbed the common games- VF2, Daytona, Virtua Cop, and also got an Action Replay for imports. I found Fighters Megamix and Panzer Dragoon imports for like $5 each at my local shop, so I got those, and bought a copy of Nights with the controller as well.

About 3 months later, I sold all the stuff, as I was like "the FUCK am I doing with life?!?".

Would totally recommend doing it all again!

I actually followed Nujabes before I had even heard of Champloo. I should really give his stuff a listen again sometime soon.

I heard some stuff before Champloo, but not much. Mainly Luv Sic Pt. 1 and 2 (some of my personal favorites esp. Part 2).

The Champloo OST is great, but I love all of Nujabes' work/collabs.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That's about right for most people with the Saturn. The true die hards are still playing it to this day but everyone else, even hard core gamers that would hang out on a gaming forum, will look at one or two titles and go, yeah, the Saturn was this thing that missed the zeitgeist in most of the world where 3D gaming ruled and people thought (much better looking) 2D games were primitive.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

I predict the reason it's doing well in Japan is because it's similar to Naruto. It ended, and people want a replacement. Plus, new generation of readers who have never seen this shit before.

But it's not a complete Naruto rip-off. See, where Hinata was the only one to have eyes for Naruto, EVERY GIRL is in love with Asta. Even though he's somehow dumber. *bangs head against wall*

caliph95

I predict the reason it's doing well in Japan is because it's similar to Naruto. It ended, and people want a replacement. Plus, new generation of readers who have never seen this shit before.

But it's not a complete Naruto rip-off. See, where Hinata was the only one to have eyes for Naruto, EVERY GIRL is in love with Asta. Even though he's somehow dumber. *bangs head against wall*
Ugh so it's Naruto but a harem that makes it better

But yeah it's a replacement for Naruto and now FT for young people

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
After listening to the Retronauts episode on the Saturn in 2008, I went on Ebay and bought a Saturn. It really confused my non-gamer roomate.

I bought D and Enemy Zero (it was a $30ish game then, not the $150 game it is now), as hearing them talk about Enemy Zero on both that Saturn episode and the Survival Horror episode of Retronauts was what made me really want the system. I also grabbed the common games- VF2, Daytona, Virtua Cop, and also got an Action Replay for imports. I found Fighters Megamix and Panzer Dragoon imports for like $5 each at my local shop, so I got those, and bought a copy of Nights with the controller as well.

About 3 months later, I sold all the stuff, as I was like "the FUCK am I doing with life?!?".

Would totally recommend doing it all again!
I got the Action Replay for the RAM expansion, memory, & playing imports. I'm gonna try & deal with titles that haven't been ported to future systems (i.e. I don't need to get Daytona USA or Nights or Radiant Silvergun) unless it's a really good version or the easiest way to play it via importing because I want to discover stuff that I haven't played before. I'll probably start with most of these games that someone linked me.

Fully aware of the fact that I'm gonna need to deal with importing because damn, Japan vs. US prices are insane at times. I'm debating if for certain games with large language barriers if I should buy the JPN (i.e. cheaper) version, then find an english patch or burn the English ISO to put it alongside the actual JPN copy. I'm not big on piracy, but if it's for rare/expensive retro games, I might be more willing. As someone who wants to collect a good amount of consoles, I'm okay with keeping it. Heck, I wouldn't mind owning a Virtual Boy, Sega CD + 32X, & Jaguar in the near future (i freakin' saw a copy of Raiden on Jaguar at the flea market I bought the Saturn today)

I should get Fighters Megamix, especially the Japanese version which has Pepsiman.

So, he's a typical harem protag in a shonen series...? That's all Naruto needed. All of the ladies wanting him! Why didn't Kishi think of that before?! I've always wanted some To-Love-Ru in my Naruto!

I hate series like To-Love-Ru with a passion, even more than generic Shonen action series. It's why I hated stuff like Love Hina and didn't get into Negima and Rosario+Vampire. Harem manga/anime are typically one-dimensional and only serve as fantasy scenarios for some people.

Mizerman

Yeah, Black Clover is completely by the books to the point that it will flourish simply because entry level stuff like that will get a pass.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah, Black Clover is completely by the books to the point that it will flourish simply because entry level stuff like that will get a pass.

Tokyo Ghoul is like this but isn't doing stellar on TOONAMI because it was a bit too late.

Akame Ga Kill! was also like this but did well (especially intitally) because it hit TOONAMI at exactly the right time.

Tokyo Ghoul is like this but isn't doing stellar on TOONAMI because it was a bit too late.

Akame Ga Kill! was also like this but did well (especially intitally) because it hit TOONAMI at exactly the right time.

Yeah, timing can really affect a show and how it does. Time slot could be a factor too, but it's mostly timing in regards to TG since it's been out for a while at other sources.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Fun Fact: Tokyo Ghoul's US release was what the Chiller Anime Block was created to advertise. They showed an ad for it once every commercial break. That's how I knew about it when it punched me in heart replacing One Piece. That and nerd osmosis that it had a Naruto Shippuden/Bleach tier filler second season and that the manga was much better, even though that's still not that great.

caliph95

It probably will do decent enough for that reason

It also too fast, it seems to try to do what My Hero Academia does with it's pacing with it's fights and such but fails at it because there's little weight as a result

At least it looks pretty and makes a quick read

From what I'm hearing over in the summer anime thread, apparently it's going to be a ongoing series rather than adapting one or two cours at a time like MHA.

cntr

Banned
Yes, Black Clover is a long-runner, for some bizarre reason.

I will say, though, that it's nowhere near as bad as Naruto. It's pretty standard, but it's always 'okay', unlike Shippuden's depths of awful. It's boring at worst, which is more than you can say for most series.

Not super into it, but unlike Naruto or Bleach, I can get if people like it, especially kids. It's entry-level popcorn shounen, and that's fine.

...the adaptation and the filler are going be awful, though...

caliph95

Ignoring Black clover quality I was hoping shows would follow MHA and food wars lead and have seasonal shows for shonen instead of Toei way of doing things.

But I guess not all will

Though it may give stuff more breathing room

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yes, Black Clover is a long-runner, for some bizarre reason.

I will say, though, that it's nowhere near as bad as Naruto. It's pretty standard, but it's always 'okay', unlike Shippuden's depths of awful. It's boring at worst, which is more than you can say for most series.

Not super into it, but unlike Naruto or Bleach, I can get if people like it, especially kids. It's entry-level popcorn shounen, and that's fine.

...the adaptation and the filler are going be awful, though...

Studio Pierrot is going to be making Black Clover.

Moaradin

This is Pierrot we're talking about here. They somehow managed to squeeze 50 episodes out of Twin Star Exorcist when there was only like 30 chapters out at the time.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, I know it's happening because Pierrot.

But why did the crazy morons there decide to do it like this? Pfft.

cntr

Banned
I suspect seasonal shows make just as much or more money, actually. The more likely reason is that Japanese companies are notoriously reluctant to change, and Pierrot and Toei seem like they're run by a bunch of old farts.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I suspect seasonal shows make more money, actually.

The more likely reason is that Japanese companies are notoriously reluctant to change, and Pierrot and Toei seem like they're run by a bunch of old farts.

Also Japanese television, either you are a limited series or you just do not ever stop unless you want to lose your time slot and have to be pitched again.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, that too.

If you really wanted to make money on the cheap and don't care about time slots, just make a budget seasonal show. That way you avoid the production cost of a long runner and the production cost of actually making a good show!

(and that's why we have so many trash moe anime today)

Regiruler

Isn't that what Boruto is for?

Top Bottom