• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |SepOct17| 1 + 1 = YEAH!

I live in the Panhandle, so I'm still holding on seeing which direction it plans to go. If it looks to head west and past through Tampa, I'm hitting the road and staying with relatives in Central Fl.

Morlas

3e86804d6e42322fbf0b813034a54605.gif

bigkrev

Man, the only way I can really describe Type-0 HD is all the cutscenes feel like those documentaries you had to watch in school. You couldn't care less, you just zone out because of how bored you are, resulting in not knowing what's going on because you just don't care & there's no reason to. Doesn't help I remembered this was suppose to be part of the FF13 universe with the whole "L'cie" stuff.

It's not even that "terrible" despite some annoying design/gameplay decision, it's just too dull. Though I will say I question the RTS part that felt like I was playing a damn mobile game. I'm starting to realize maybe the FF15 demo was included just to help sales, because man, I don't get why people wanted this game to be localized aside from "IT HAS FINAL FANTASY IN THE TITLE, THEREFORE I WANT IT!" Hell, it probably only has FF in the title so more people would take interest.

I haven't felt this bored by a JRPG since playing that Sega Hard Girls x Hyperdimension Neptunia crossover. At the very least, this was rather short, especially since I just said screw it & used the exploit where you can get someone to level 99 in under 30 minutes, & it's one backlog game taken care of before the surge of games coming out this month & October.

Edit: This game is also a great example of Dominant Strategy because I only used Ace because he had both close & ranged attacks so I didn't want to use anyone else, nor did I feel the need to really use magic, summons, or any other magic attacks. Granted, again, I grinded everyone to 99 via the super easy exploit introduced early on, but if the game offered an easy solution, then I figured I might as well use it.

I played like 2 hours of the PSP Fan Translation because the gimmick of having a new PSP game to play in 2014 was fun. I was shocked at how violent it was, amazed by the graphics.... and thought the game was boring as shit to play. I bought the PS4 version to get the FFXV demo, and never actually played it, before it became fodder earlier this year for the Gamestop "Free Money" event they had a few months ago

Line_HTX

You guys that are in Florida, be careful and stay safe!

Having sat through Harvey, I will be the first to tell y'all I got really lucky that the worst thing that happened to me was an EMS broadcast interrupting Outlaw Star before the commercial break.

This thing is seriously a giant Titan, bigger than the state of Ohio.

Also, Juri is way better.

Line_HTX

Some Shokugeki no Soma dub clips (NSFW warning as usual with this series).

Woooof, stop it Sentai. You need real voice directors. And people that know how to say Japanese names (Air-ina Na-ka-ri!)
Bruh, she clears pronounces Airenna Knockery correctly.

Normally I don't care to give any attention to Hisako, but god fucking damnit, that was atrocious direction.

Should have just pronounced it Jojo style with that Erina.

I do like the voice for Erina Nakiri though. Not a bad job.

caliph95

That food wars had such bad voice direction

A lot of it sounds amateurish
I would probably watch it because I have low standards for dub

Line_HTX

Like for crying out loud, even something like Gamers! has a better dub or that Gal Girlfriend is better than this based on direction alone.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I will go as far to say that Gamers! and My Girlfriend is a Gal have two of my favorite dubs this year. Gal especially is a show I enjoy almost entirely because I think the dub is hilarious.

cntr

Banned
I thought Sentai was old ADV VA's? The hell happened?
Sentai and Funimation share a bunch of VAs since they're both based in Texas, but they always sound much worse with Sentai than with Funimation.

So it's the direction.

Isn't Food Wars one of the more popular Shonen now, like I like Gamers but how did that get a better dub
Japanese studios don't know enough English to tell whether a dub is bad or not, so...

cntr

Banned
...man, I need to watch YYH too. That's like, four shows I've decided to "watch soon" already.

spoilers: they're not actually happening soon

Line_HTX

I will go as far to say that Gamers! and My Girlfriend is a Gal have two of my favorite dubs this year. Gal especially is a show I enjoy almost entirely because I think the dub is hilarious.

"Dats why I'm a Bitch~?"

"Junichi's mah boyfriend. Get offa him, ya slut!"

"Bitch, don't grab! Hey~"

"Anywhoosies~"

Morlas

His writing and ideas are good, but in written form it's too technical when he describes nen and nen abilities so it makes it feel like i'm reading a manual

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I don't mind all the break downs and explanations of Nen but then again I really like well formed power/magic systems instead of just giving some bare bones description and set up for how everything works. It usually helps avoid a lot of bull shit or at least contextualizes things and gives a better framework to understand how abilities and battles end up working. Something like the weaving threads in the Wheel of Time series is a lot more useful and interesting than leaving it vague like a lot of others do as it just lets them make shit up as they go along and most people aren't Araki with Jojo's Bizarre Adventure who can pull that off.

cntr

Banned
Nah, I don't mean the nen explanations, nen's pretty good. I mean that Togashi's not very good at making comic art, in the sense that the general panelling, composition, flow, anatomy, and et cetera,...aren't very good for comics. So it's much harder to read than a comic normally is; you have to use the dialogue and narration to figure out stuff that should be done with the art. Even stuff like nen would be a lot easier to understand if Togashi used visual explanations more.

The anime versions of YYH and HxH obviously don't have that problem, so they come across a lot better.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Nah, I don't mean the nen explanations, nen's pretty good. I mean that Togashi's not very good at making comic art, in the sense that the general panelling, composition, flow, anatomy, and et cetera,...aren't very good for comics. So it's much harder to read than a comic normally is; you have to use the dialogue and narration to figure out stuff that should be done with the art. Even stuff like nen would be a lot easier to understand if Togashi used visual explanations more.

The anime versions of YYH and HxH obviously don't have that problem, so they come across a lot better.

Ahh I guess I don't have much trouble following his art and such. Something like Attack on Titan is far worse to me to follow than HxH.

Dat chicken dinner doe.

cntr

Banned
Ahh I guess I don't have much trouble following his art and such. Something like Attack on Titan is far worse to me to follow than HxH.
Yeah it's fine once you get used to it, but I get if people get put off the manga because of it.

Dat chicken dinner doe.
That isn't really important tbh, you can make pretty great comics even with scribbles if you get the composition right.

Morlas

man seeing Togashi's art and thinking about his storytelling and all the other big shonen authors and comparing them it really makes me realize just how freaking talented Oda is, he's not necessarily the best at all of the disciplines that makes a good comic writer but he's really good at all of them, paneling, flow, storytelling, pacing, it's no wonder one piece is so good

Top Bottom