• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |SepOct17| 1 + 1 = YEAH!

man seeing Togashi's art and thinking about his storytelling and all the other big shonen authors and comparing them it really makes me realize just how freaking talented Oda is, he's not necessarily the best at all of the disciplines that makes a good comic writer but he's really good at all of them, paneling, flow, storytelling, pacing, it's no wonder one piece is so good
Togashi can actually draw, it's just an acquired taste at times. When he cares he cares, other times it's just not great.

caliph95

00g4iyg8yqyy.jpg

cntr

Banned
Oda's pretty great. The panels do get a bit cluttered, though, especially in some of the last few arcs. And the pacing's been kind of rough, but that's 'cause of his health and the setting starting to get too big to deal with.

Togashi is really good at emphasis really. Highly detailed close ups and reveals that help sells certain moments.

Togashi can actually draw, it's just an acquired taste at times. When he cares he cares, other times it's just not great.
Back problems aside, Togashi's pretty good at the art, even if he's not super fantastic. It's his comics art that I take issue with, not the literal art.

Jarate

Banned
Oda is by far the best shonen manga creator out there.

I dont read a lot of manga because of how horrendously expensive it is, but I dont think ive read a manga with the scope of Oda's be so successful.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Oda is by far the best shonen manga creator out there.

I dont read a lot of manga because of how horrendously expensive it is, but I dont think ive read a manga with the scope of Oda's be so successful.

Berserk has it beat there even if it isn't on the same scale in terms of sales.

caliph95

Oda's pretty great. The panels do get a bit cluttered, though, especially in some of the last few arcs. And the pacing's been kind of rough, but that's 'cause of his health and the setting starting to get too big to deal with.

Back problems aside, Togashi's pretty good at the art, even if he's not super fantastic. It's his comics art that I take issue with, not the literal art.
Oda is starting to get regular breaks because of his health and the fact he's a workaholic

cntr

Banned
Toriyama earned his reputation as one of the absolute best at pure comic book layout.
I still use him as a default example of comics composition, heh.

I don't think you can be a Manga author long term and not get health problems
iirc, the story behind that was Oda fell ill once, and when Kishimoto went to visit him at the hospital, he found him working in bed.

So now his editors force him to take regular breaks.

Jarate

Banned
Toriyama is probably the best cartoon artist to come out of Japan.he's mastered a simple, easy to comprehend look that works well in both comedy and serious moments.

Toriyama's main struggle is his storytelling, which abides by the "I'm not gonna plan arcs at all, I'm just going to make shit up as I go" he's able to make really solid characters though.

Berserk is a better manga then One Piece (although it's fairly close) but I doubt Berserk will end well, while I have all the faith in the world that One Piece will.

Only other manga I've read that competes with Berserk is Vagabond. Vagabond is awesome guys, you should all read it

HStallion

Toriyama earned his reputation as one of the absolute best at pure comic book layout.

How do you mean? I wouldn't really call Berserk's setting the big appeal.

I wasn't referring to the setting but that it had a huge scope and was really successful at pulling it off.

Jarate

Banned
I wasn't referring to the setting but that it had a huge scope and was really successful at pulling it off.

Berserk is the only one that competes with it, but even then, One Piece's world is much bigger and much more fleshed out imo.

Berserk is only really better in art imo. I think a lot of people sleep on Oda's art as well. He's one of the best artists in Shonen Jump. He was smart enough to pick an art style that he can use to make a lot of panels in a week.

Jarate

Banned
That's more because he's a workaholic. One Piece's art is super complex.

I mean, it's a bit of both, but it's obviously not as complex as some other manga artists out there.

There's nothing wrong with not having a complex art style either.

HStallion

Berserk is the only one that competes with it, but even then, One Piece's world is much bigger and much more fleshed out imo.

Berserk is only really better in art imo. I think a lot of people sleep on Oda's art as well. He's one of the best artists in Shonen Jump. He was smart enough to pick an art style that he can use to make a lot of panels in a week.

I'd agree its not as fleshed out but a big part of the story at this point is figuring out what's actually going on in the world especially
as the different layers of reality are being forced to merge together and all the fantastical creatures and elements are once more filling the world.
In some ways the scope of events is even larger in Berserk and that's just the world. The story itself has evolved and increased its scope with every major story section as at its come a long way from really angry bad ass with a huge sword fighting demons with little context.

cntr

Banned
I mean, it's a bit of both, but it's obviously not as complex as some other manga artists out there.
It's not literally complex in the way something like Berserk is, but like, in terms of actual effort? It's super complex.

Like, for example, Just look at a typical One Piece panel and think about how much effort it'd take to draw in every object, place them in a way that makes sense in a panel, and make the panel work in terms of the overall page. That's incredibly demanding, and that's just one way One Piece's art is complicated.

I'd agree its not as fleshed out but a big part of the story at this point is figuring out what's actually going on in the world especially
as the different layers of reality are being forced to merge together and all the fantastical creatures and elements are once more filling the world.
In some ways the scope of events is even larger in Berserk and that's just the world. The story itself has evolved and increased its scope with every major story section as at its come a long way from really angry bad ass with a huge sword fighting demons with little context.
Berserk went full JRPG. I prefer it now over the "I fucked a demon on the first page" edgelord fest.

"Resident Evil with spooks is best Resident Evil!"

"Resident Evil with action is best Resident Evil!"

This is a pointless argument.

Resident Evil is clearly at its best....when it's focusing on its best character.

Steve_Burnside_26.png

Steve Burnside.

Oda's particular art style is the way it is because it fits the kind of stories he wants to tell. He knows that simplistic faces, exaggerated anatomy, and conservative line work allows the story to feel sillier and more comedic, and lets him get away with the more outlandish things his characters go through.

Berserk is more serious and treats things with more dire consequences, so the art leans more towards the realistic.

With an exception:

HStallion

I have to give Miura credit for as fucked up and dark as Berserk can be its got some genuinely hilarious moments and some spot on humor.

Toriyama is probably the best cartoon artist to come out of Japan.he's mastered a simple, easy to comprehend look that works well in both comedy and serious moments.

Toriyama's main struggle is his storytelling, which abides by the "I'm not gonna plan arcs at all, I'm just going to make shit up as I go" he's able to make really solid characters though.

Its why he has an entire Dragonball Team/Room at Shonen Jump headquarters and Toyble and his disposal, hes a genius with his art but lazy as all hell with his storytelling. now he doesn't have to do anything except guide his successor in the right direction, approve character and story ideas and maybe do some of his own and still gets paid for it.

Araki is a vampire tho

Suddenly, Dio as a character makes allot more sense.

Top Bottom