• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |SepOct17| 1 + 1 = YEAH!

Morlas

Spill. Did they go through with the Boruto gaiden thing Kishi wrote? God, that would have been magnificent.

yeah it was just a retelling of gaiden

also we need our true hero back

sogeking-1-o.gif

tumblr_mjova8wddO1s5aup5o1_400.gif

zulux21

I'm always indecisive on whether to watch that or not, heh. I guess I've already watched a lot of crap, couldn't be worse.

Maybe some day.

they make some really really stupid character choices from time to time.

especially with the backstory of a certain character in season 1 (character spoiler)
SCREW YOU JAUNE YOU MAKE Minoru making it into the hero academy almost feel like it makes sense compared to your ignorance on how things work period and getting in by cheating into a school that sends you into a scenario that could easily kill a novice your backstory is so stupid and you should feel ashamed for how they used you so poorly as a tool to introduce people to the world. YOUR EXISTENCE IN THE FIRST SEASON MAKES NO SENSE!!!!!!!
, you would think he would at least know the basics and some stuff in the middle of season 2 (if I am recalling things correctly)

outside of that it's pretty decent to even good at times with some silly choices here and there instead of really stupid ones.

there is another part of another season that bothered me, but I can't honestly remember if it was in 3 or 4 lol.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oh, no, I would've reacted way harder if they did that.

I mean they actually adapted Gaiden. Which is still some shit.

Yea, I just went and looked. I got all hype for seemingly no reason.

God, that development would have made all of Naruto's shitty storytelling worth it.

Morlas

That shit was some master troll work, he should have gone through with it. It would have been transcendent.

lu lu lala lu~

Wait, so they
made her Karen's kid
?

latest

I LOVE IT!!

While that would've been fun for the trolling and lulz if they weren't going to make more, it would've force us to have Karin around in the long term and i don't think that's worth it.

cntr

Banned
Even if Kishimoto didn't totally go through with it, the fact that Gaiden happened at all is still some crazy shit.

And, like,
compare Naruto and Hinata's super happy family photos with Sakura jank-photoshopping herself into photos with Sasuke.
That shit's still canon.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Even if Kishimoto didn't totally go through with it, the fact that Gaiden happened at all is still some crazy shit.

And, like,
compare Naruto and Hinata's super happy family photos with Sakura jank-photoshopping herself into photos with Sasuke.
That shit's still canon.

Shit will never stop being funny.

Damn, I remember reading that shit as it came out and all of MangaGAF was rolling with each new chapter.

zulux21

Funimation's new PS4 app works well.

This makes me happy.

Uraraka and Bakugo.

Makes about as much sense as Hinata and Sasuke, another ship that gained some popularity despite the characters maybe saying 3 sentences to each other.

I mean Bakugo obviously is going to end up with Todoroki :p

only one that could handle that explosive personality and they can bond over how deku made them better people :p

cntr

Banned
Yeah, that's one of the dumber ships.
Shit will never stop being funny.

Damn, I remember reading that shit as it came out and all of MangaGAF was rolling with each new chapter.
I'd totally ignored Naruto after it ended, but when I heard the word on the street, I had to read it.

I've already said this multiple times, but I still can't believe it happened.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I suppose what has been added is the completely emotionless tones of Sasuke clearly not giving a shit
about Sadara even after they "bonded" or whatever.

Morlas

Funimation's new PS4 app works well.

This makes me happy.

Uraraka and Bakugo.

Makes about as much sense as Hinata and Sasuke, another ship that gained some popularity despite the characters maybe saying 3 sentences to each other.

Actually Hinata and Sasuke never exchange dialog in the manga, and once in a movie where Hinata just says his name

And, like,
That shit's still canon.

Only thing I liked about the Gaiden was Naruto's pep talk to
Sarada
was legitimately endearing. But then...yeah. It was a quick reminder how terrible of a character Sasuke is lol

Uraraka and Bakugo.

I kind of get the logic there at least. Uraraka being the character that female fanfic writers project themselves onto and they just pair her with whichever male character they like the most. That's basically what most online shipping boils down to.

cntr

Banned
Only thing I liked about the Gaiden was Naruto's pep talk to
Sarada
was legitimately endearing. But then...yeah. It was a quick reminder how terrible of a character Sasuke is lol
Naruto and Sarada themselves were pretty okay in Gaiden.

His reaction to the whole Maury shit made it even more surreal.

Moaradin

Gaiden shit aside, how's Boruto been so far?

Still continues to be pretty good. New characters are already more fun and interesting than the original cast, and it's a big step up on a direction and animation level. I don't even think Gaiden is bad. It's pretty funny and Sarada is a likable character. Plus, it gave us shit like this.

I'll admit on the topic of shipping though, whenever I watch an anime, I have a bad habit of rooting for the character who's clearly going to be friend-zoned. I sympathize for the underdog. lol

cntr

Banned
Still continues to be pretty good. New characters are already more fun and interesting than the original cast, and it's a big step up on a direction and animation level. I don't even think Gaiden is bad. It's pretty funny and Sarada is a likable character. Plus, it gave us shit like this.
Hm, neat.
...man, go figure Boruto would get a higher budget than Shippuden ever did.

I'll admit on the topic of shipping though, whenever I watch an anime, I have a bad habit of rooting for the character who's clearly going to be friend-zoned. I sympathize for the underdog. lol
I really like romance in stories. Unfortunately, most series don't have romance, they have melodrama.

So I usually root for whatever pairing I know is actually canon, provided it's not written too stupid.

Morlas

the thing about naruto though was it was painfully obvious what the main pairs were gonna end up being, but people still were shocked when it inevitably happened

cntr

Banned
the thing about naruto though was it was painfully obvious what the main pairs were gonna end up being, but people still were shocked when it inevitably happened
Oh, definitely, but the series itself played up the will-they-won't-they aspect.

So.

Morlas

Oh, definitely, but the series itself played up the will-they-won't-they aspect.

So.

i can understand that, but when you have
a ninja in the middle of the war when sasuke was still a traitor ask sakura about who she loves and it's sasuke not naruto she thinks of you should just admit it,

Moaradin

I like a good romance, but there hasn't been many romance focused shows that I've liked. Especially when you know they won't hook up until the end, and the way they always drag that out is from drama that could be easily solved by JUST FUCKING TALKING. I don't understand why hooking up seems to be the end goal in 99% of romance anime when the developing relationship after the fact can be even more interesting.

That's probably why I enjoyed Ore Monogatari. The two leads hook up in the first two episodes and the rest of the season is just about them as a couple.

cntr

Banned
There's a bunch of manga about dating romance, which is pretty nice. Not very much anime, though, aside from Ore Monogatari.

And most of them are pretty recent (and quite a few started as webcomics), so I suspect they're made by authors just as tired of melodrama as we are, heh. Hopefully that's a trend.

zulux21

I like a good romance, but there hasn't been many romance focused shows that I've liked. Especially when you know they won't hook up until the end, and the way they always drag that out is from drama that could be easily solved by JUST FUCKING TALKING. I don't understand why hooking up seems to be the end goal in 99% of romance anime when the developing relationship after the fact can be even more interesting.

That's probably why I enjoyed Ore Monogatari. The two leads hook up in the first two episodes and the rest of the season is just about them as a couple.

until I got to your last sentence I was going to tell you to go watch that lol.

and as for why the end goal is hooking up. it's because it's easier to sustain a will they won't they setting that people are invested in than an actual romance. not saying an actual romance can't be more interesting just that it is harder to write.

Rec is a fun little watch https://myanimelist.net/anime/710/Rec not amazing but it's also pretty short :p

Nana has characters hook up before the end and deal with relationships
https://myanimelist.net/anime/877/Nana

Clannad after story is of course about the relationship after the first season was about the hook up... eventually.

Sakamichi no Apollon isn't really a romance, but it is a bromance and has a strong focus on relationships (and is from the director of bebop with a strong soundtrack)

Baby Steps is a sports anime, but there is a romance secondary story like most sports anime. the second season is when the magic happens :p

Marmalade Boy https://myanimelist.net/anime/334/Marmalade_Boy is one I am pretty sure hits the relationship well before the end, but it's a bit fuzzy right now

Oh! Edo Rocket https://myanimelist.net/anime/2152/Oh_Edo_Rocket doesn't really have the romance plot come together that much before the end but... more people should watch it lol

I would argue soul eater is decently about relationships

kare kano they get to the relationship before the end right.... i mean they have to given the end lol...

Midori no Hibi this is all about having your right hand effectively be your girlfriend :3

I know there are a few others I am missing lol

...hmm. I should convince someone here to read Kimi no Iru Machi.

*looks at it*
not it :p

remember the greatest ahonen romance toonami has ever seen?

They actually ended up doing the deed in the manga.

On a serious note, for all the faults for that series, I actually given it props for actually having Tatsumi enter a relationship with someone he's actually attracted to. A lot of these shonen (Naruto, Bleach, MHA) kind of take for granted the idea that the pairings are already decided so they do the bare minimum since they'll just be couples in the epilogue anyway. Of course, the AKG anime went with immediately killing off Mine not long afterwards lol

cntr

Banned
Baby Steps is special since it's a shounen sports manga, where
the main guy and girl actually start dating
. Definitely going to read it, have heard a lot of good things about it.

Don't bother with the anime, though, it's by Pierrot, and a rough adaptation by all accounts.

*looks at it*
not it :p
It's nicknamed "A Town Where You Rage" for a reason!

zulux21

Baby Steps is special since it's a shounen sports manga, where
the main guy and girl actually start dating
. Definitely going to read it, have heard a lot of good things about it.

Don't bother with the anime, though, it's by Pierrot, and a rough adaptation by all accounts.

It's nicknamed "A Town Where You Rage" for a reason!

rough animation but the actual episodes aren't bad if you can get past that.

as for the manga just fair warning the english releases are sporadic.

once you get caught up you might have to wait a while. though the translation group is doing better recently.

there was a period where a tennis match was like 30-40 chapters (weekly length) and it took about 2.5 years for those chapters to fully come out >.<;

It's a solid manga though, especially if you prefer your sports series more like ippo than say ace of diamond. With more of a thought on training and the process behind why things work in the matches and more detailed thoughts on what people are doing.

cntr

Banned
...also, wait, zulux, do you not read manga or something? You totally glossed over series like Horimiya or Bonnouji and went with a bunch of "maybe romance" shows.

Morlas

the only romance manga i've ever liked was kimi ni todoke and that was mostly because the sadako joke was hilarious to me for some reason

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
There's a bunch of manga about dating romance, which is pretty nice. Not very much anime, though, aside from Ore Monogatari.

And most of them are pretty recent (and quite a few started as webcomics), so I suspect they're made by authors just as tired of melodrama as we are, heh. Hopefully that's a trend.
Ore Monogatari was great in that it was simply just a series about two people who REALLY liked each other & almost nothing complex happened or things were cleared up in an episode or two.

My Little Monster also was good since I recall the two leads were basically blunt with each other (the girl was basically the "I just say what I feel like" type).

Meanwhile, I finished Kimi ni Todoke & man, while I get why the lead had trouble with communication, it gets rather annoying in the 2nd season because it feels like a step back from how she went to a loner to someone who could get alone with the entire class. Especially when one character was introduced solely for the purpose of more misunderstandings, & even the side characters were annoyed by him.

I'll try to talk more once I finish things up.

Seda

Wow this thread has been busy.

Also I have no idea what anyone is talking about.

Also I haven't caught up on shows yet.

I'm bad at this.

zulux21

...also, wait, zulux, do you not read manga or something? You totally glossed over series like Horimiya or Bonnouji and went with a bunch of "maybe romance" shows.
I don't read a ton of manga most of which are things i picked up after watching the anime. I branch out from time to time and pick up stuff like the promised Neverland but in general i prefer anime as it allows me to multitask easier.

cntr

Banned
lol i'm going to get the most posts again aren't i

fuck

Ore Monogatari was great in that it was simply just a series about two people who REALLY liked each other & almost nothing complex happened or things were cleared up in an episode or two.

My Little Monster also was good since I recall the two leads were basically blunt with each other (the girl was basically the "I just say what I feel like" type).
Ore Monogatari was a bit too saccharine for me to immediately get into at the time, but I liked it enough, so I'll try it again eventually when I'm in the mood to appreciate it. My Little Monster sounds neat, still there on my to-read list.

I don't read a ton of manga most of which are things i picked up after watching the anime. I branch out from time to time and pick up stuff like the promised Neverland but in general i prefer anime as it allows me to multitask easier.
Check them out, then. They seem up your alley.

Regiruler

Togashi's a pretty good writer...but he's not very good at making comics.
Maybe he should cut out the middleman and write an anime.

But that probably pays a lot less.

Speaking of, my library back at home has the first volumes of Jojo arcs 1,2, and 3. O don't think they know there's other volumes (but their quality is incredibly nice).

cntr

Banned
Maybe he should cut out the middleman and write an anime.

But that probably pays a lot less.
He's a bit stubborn about it, yeah. His health's seems to be getting better, at least.

Speaking of, my library back at home has the first volumes of Jojo arcs 1,2, and 3. O don't think they know there's other volumes (but their quality is incredibly nice).
They probably do, but Viz hasn't translated anything beyond Part 3 yet. They're currently in the middle of rereleasing the Part 3 Jojoniums with a retranslation and without the old version's censoring.

Regiruler

He's a bit stubborn about it, yeah. His health's seems to be getting better, at least.

They probably do, but Viz hasn't translated anything beyond Part 3 yet. They're currently in the middle of rereleasing the Part 3 Jojoniums with a retranslation and without the old version's censoring.
I mean they literally stop after volume 1 of each arc. There's Phantom Blood volume 1, then Battle Tendency volume 1. Whoever orders the stuff was probably confused. Granted they probably wouldn't have space for all volumes of PB+BT, and I admittedly didn't check the county system to see if they had the other volumes, but they didn't have Berserk in the system anyehere so an error like that wouldn't surprise me.

Top Bottom