• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |SepOct17| 1 + 1 = YEAH!

Gonna be honest.

Watched the It TV mini-series.

Didn't really think it was that good, save for Tim Curry.

Also there are way too many articles talking about why the movie left out the orgy from the book.

Mizerman

GAF can't talk about IT without bringing up THAT scene from the book.

tenor.gif

Couldn't resist...

It.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Also there are way too many articles talking about why the movie left out the orgy from the book.
Something something violence vs. sex.

....wait, it's only the part that focuses on when everyone was kids, not as legal adults? WELL THEN NO SHIT THEY WOULDN'T PUT THAT SCENE IN A FILM IN 2017.

cntr

Banned
I probably won't watch It in theaters and wait for the disc release somewhere down the line.

need to watch Oldboy sometime too

people getting confused over the movie title is some really funny shit tbh

caliph95

Gonna be honest.

Watched the It TV mini-series.

Didn't really think it was that good, save for Tim Curry.

Who give a shit about that scene it's not necessary is it

zulux21

man one of the best feelings when writing is struggling on a chapter, and then you hit a place that just suddenly clicks and you come up with a way better idea than you ever had while planning lol.

Seda

Dragon Ball Super 30-31

-Krillin's impressions LOL. Oh I guess this is mostly recap but that actually works for me because it's been three weeks. Oh I guess Uub is still canon.
-I definitely enjoy these low stakes laid-back episodes more than the DBZ ones. Babby Bulma! (who flies a spaceship). The boob jokes were kinda cringy, but could be a lot worse I guess.

Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapter 129-130

-I was not expecting to get an 18 boob squeeze, Yamcha ass, a Roshi fart, and a Piccolo I CAN WIN flashback all in one episode.
-I feel like the drama of this arc could actually be pretty decent if there were stronger limitations on what death means in this universe. Oh well. Also The Final Chapters soundtrack is so much better than the replacement Kai stuff.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - Stardust Crusaders 4-5

-MASSACRE. It's definition? To kill.....everyone! I don't really like Avdol's voice. Is he supposed to sound, I dunno, dweebishy having a hard time saying anything? He sounds like it hurts to talk every time he speaks.
-Polnareff's voice seems pretty good to me (I have no idea what he sounds like in Japanese), and yeah having him spout the occasional French word is much preferred over doing an accent all the time. And I didn't realize Tony Oliver was the voice director here too (also the director for HxH)

Not watching Tokyo Ghoul

Hunter x Hunter 63-64

-Bisky is cool and I'm glad is competent. 'what's attrition mean?' fucking gon.
-I don't mind this training arc, but this bomber villain, I dunno. Hope he's just a small fry. Actually at this point I'm not sure why I should care about these other dudes, or I don't remember.

Lupin III 9-10

-Lupin seems actually incredibly competent and capable this episode. Oh wow this got really sad really fast, :(
-This second episode I feel like it could have been actually pretty good if it was longer than 20-some minutes. Everything kinda happens so rapid-fire and moves too quickly from one point to the next to really nail any emotional weight. Also, Goemon's voice doesn't seem to fit him. I know apparently his voice is new for the character, but even not knowing what any other Goemon sounds like, this sounds off, way too deep for one. Also this was full on Samurai slobbering perfection Kirito slicing up bullets all perfect-like

I'll catch Outlaw Star tomorrow.

Also, Thanks MetatronM for the schedule posts

cntr

Banned
Avdol's voice was pretty good in the first three episodes, but that was the test dub and got made a few years ago. Feels like everybody's struggling a bit to get back there in the new stuff, Avdol most of all.

Genthru's definitely the weakest arc villain in HxH, but iirc, it's alleviated a bit by the arc being mainly centered around Greed Island itself, rather than just the Bomber plot.

Episode 9 was my favorite Lupin episode so far, but I liked Episode 10 a lot too. Though, yeah, I didn't expect Goemon's voice to be so deep either.

You guys find it weird that there were more black people in early Shonen compared to modern ones

I believe Japanese culture saw an influx of western media sometime in the 70s and 80s, explaining the clear influence American action movies and European fantasy had on works of the time.

It's a shame Commander Black (Dragon ball) is an overall competent, non disrespectful portrayal of a black man in manga marred by an outdated design choice. Not Popo bad, but still.

caliph95

You guys find it weird that there were more black people in early Shonen compared to modern ones
Huh
Weird let me think of it
Well there's Naruto/Boruto (Which are not really modern but had an entire nation.), Yoroichi and Haribell maybe and......

There is Darksteel from OPM

One kid from Soul Eater

I'm trying of something recently in Shonen

Huh
Weird let me think of it
Well there's Naruto/Boruto (Which are not really modern but had an entire nation.), Yoroichi and Haribell maybe and......

One kid from Soul Eater

I feel as if Yoroichi and Haribell fall more under towards the Ambiguously brown trope than outright black.

Chase17

Huh
Weird let me think of it

One kid from Soul Eater

There's sister Krone from Promised Neverland.
Though that's a minor character in the long run now.
Uh...
I want to say Aomine from Kuroko but he I'm pretty sure he is just tan lol.

caliph95

There's sister Krone from Promised Neverland.
Though that's a minor character in the long run now.

Uh...
I want to say Aomine from Kuroko but he is just tan lol.
Oh yeah her
I'm surprised AOT didn't have black people or brown but that was European (obviously all the poc got eaten by Titans)i guess besides Mikasa

Xe4

Banned
Oh yeah her
I'm surprised AOT didn't have black people or brown but that was European (obviously all the poc got eaten by Titans)i guess besides Mikasa

I know it's based off fictional medieval Europe which is regarded as white (regardless of whether that's true historically or not).

But you'd figure if they could have an Asian girl in the cast they could have some other non-white people too.

I dunno.

caliph95

I know it's based off fictional medieval Europe which is regarded as white (regardless of whether that's true historically or not).

But you'd figure if they could have an Asian girl in the cast they could have some other non-white people too.

I dunno.
Wasn't she the last Japanese or something

cntr

Banned
Nearly all shounen take place in (analogues of) Japan (or sometimes Europe), so they're either Japanese or white people. Seinen series tend to be more realistic and set in real life locations, and they tend to have a lot more black people.

Plus, well, this will sound dumb, but I think a lot of manga authors just don't want to draw black people since it takes too much time to ink. Hence all the brown people.

And obviously, sometimes it's just plain xenophobia.

(For reference, one of the most common stories Japanese expats and tourists have is people stopping in the street and just staring at them, because they can't believe that they're seeing a non-Japanese person, especially outside Tokyo. And, well, sometimes it's a bit more hostile than just disbelief.)

Morlas

They're going for the most popular ones which is Marth and the two most recent entries, probably stuff like Roy, Ike, Eirika and Ephraim for DLC

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's basically Marth plus Awakening plus Fates.

See Tokyo Mirage Sessions for more details.

This is like version 2.0 of that because they learned that the west doesn't give a shit about the rest of Shadow Dragon's cast so they doubled down on Fates.

Seda

See Tokyo Mirage Sessions for more details.

This is like version 2.0 of that because they learned that the west doesn't give a shit about the rest of Shadow Dragon's cast so they doubled down on Fates.

Making one of the mirages Virion didn't really make sense either, just kinda a weird choice

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Making one of the mirages Virion didn't really make sense either, just kinda a weird choice

Yeah, that's how I feel about most of the mirages. Tharja and Chrom are good choices, Sheeda is okay, the rest...not exactly who I think about when I think FE characters.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think Tiki is getting an amiibo so she might still make the cut for the FE warriors roster.

I haven't been following the game at all but I saw passing mention of their being six weapon types, including stones. That's the sort of thing that leads one to think dragons will be in the game beyond just Corin.

Seda

Naruto Shippuden 170-171

Back to part 1, eh? Wow betting on children's fights. These two episodes kinda felt pointless but I feel Naruto the series could have used more character interaction and ensemble moments. They spend too much time kinda separated or in isolation. I think HxH seems to strike a decent balance on character, um, positioning.

Outlaw Star 1-2

Really like the style here. Ooo Brianne Sidall is in this, still one of my favorite 'young boy' voice actresses. (aside: Her injury a few years ago bummed me out and I'm glad she's starting to get some roles again.) I bet this thread was obnoxious during this short bedroom scene. Oh Mary McGlynn in this too

SEX: FEMALE
3SIZE: DYNAMITE

Yeah I dig this animation, and some of these amusing faces.

WHATS IN THE BOX oh a naked girl

I appreciate they didnt go all horndog over this girls nakedness yet still acknowledged the awkward situation.

"You decide to wake up?" "You have a problem with that?" I actually love this dialogue.

Wow these bar dudes are going a little overboard.

Also, uh, Hilda's "Rachel" disguise had a second, blinking eye where her eyepatch is. How does that work.

Top Bottom