• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

Pluto

No joke, Saban made an anniversary show that was worse than Decade.
I still don't understand how it was possible to screw this up so much, they had the Gokaiger footage, a warehouse full of old costumes and a bunch of Disney era actors in New Zealand and Australia. They wasted all of that potential and instrad of doing something meaningful with the actors they eventually brought back they wasted them for a stupid cameo.
They even fucked up the legend war, something that was an epic fight in sentai became a lame non event in Power Rangers.

Corgi

Banned
watching w/e the latest super megaforce on hulu (16).

lol, such a cheesy way to not film new footage and no more silver.

Why waste all those original footage for random mook fights instead of this seemingly important story fight?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Kamen Rider Fourze (complete)

AKA: Kamen Rider: Friendship is Henshin

This is a season worth recommending to everyone. So much positivity and great moments, excellent writing, top-notch fight scenes, legit twists, everything just came together beautifully.

As I said before, if someone were to attempt adapting Kamen Rider for the West again, THIS would be the series to start with.

Uchu KITAAAAAAAAA!

As for what's next... I'll get to Wizard eventually. Right now I'll go back to Sentai, still need to watch Kakuranger and Gaoranger (started by haven't finished them). Plus Go-Busters.

WarRock

Kamen Rider Fourze (complete)

AKA: Kamen Rider: Friendship is Henshin

This is a season worth recommending to everyone. So much positivity and great moments, excellent writing, top-notch fight scenes, legit twists, everything just came together beautifully.

As I said before, if someone were to attempt adapting Kamen Rider for the West again, THIS would be the series to start with.

Uchu KITAAAAAAAAA!

As for what's next... I'll get to Wizard eventually. Right now I'll go back to Sentai, still need to watch Kakuranger and Gaoranger (started by haven't finished them). Plus Go-Busters.

Go watch the Nadeshiko movie!

WillyFive

iirc they can't hire old ranger Aussie actors due to SAG?

The 20 year-long pool of veteran Ranger actor alumni is so staggeringly huge that this shouldn't even be a problem. Just look at all the guests that came by for Power Morphicon, most of which didn't even come back for Super Megaforce. These people came to the convention for love of the show and the fans, and Saban didn't even bother with most (or payed them so little that they would have lost money simply traveling to NZ).

The 20 year-long pool of veteran Ranger actor alumni is so staggeringly huge that this shouldn't even be a problem. Just look at all the guests that came by for Power Morphicon, most of which didn't even come back for Super Megaforce. These people came to the convention for love of the show and the fans, and Saban didn't even bother with most (or payed them so little that they would have lost money simply traveling to NZ).

I dont get this "I would have lost money going" BS. When you go on vacation do you "lose money"? When you do something that involves expenses for someone in your family do you tell them "I lost money on this"?

If they really cared about the fans and not their careers and egos as much as they say they do, they would have gone for the fans. No?

Corgi

Banned
I dont get this "I would have lost money going" BS. When you go on vacation do you "lose money"? When you do something that involves expenses for someone in your family do you tell them "I lost money on this"?

If they really cared about the fans and not their careers and egos as much as they say they do, they would have gone for the fans. No?

it probably wasn't as simple as whoever showed up at the filming set will be in an episode or the war.

It's a matter of flying to New Zealand to shoot for a day or two. That requires flying out in the first place, staying in the area for some times, shooting, and then flying back. Let's say five days on the low-end.

So someone - who may not be acting anymore - takes five days out of their week, including any leave time they have from their real jobs, to fly out to NZ and shoot at-most 10 minutes of footage.

So compensation: "Is what they're paying me greater than or equal to the lost time/pay in my real life?" For many of them, the answer was "no".

This is one of the benefits Japanese toku has over Power Rangers: it's nowhere near as much of a pain in the ass to get an old actor back logistically. Japan is an island, and the Shinkansen can take a person from Kagoshima to Aomori in a bit under 12 hours for around $250. Once they've worked out the contract, travel is far less of a hassle in Japan. The old actor can train in if they don't already live near the filming location, film their scenes, and get back on the train to home.

I think you've got a pretty unrealistic idea of what people should be expected to do for fans.

I think you've got a pretty unrealistic idea of what people should be expected to do for fans.

Well we always talk about how they'd do anything for the fans. Apparently not. Apparently some people (very popular Rangers at that) weren't as offended and inconvenienced as people who seem to love drama like David Yost and that loud mouth Karan Ashley.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Well we always talk about how they'd do anything for the fans. Apparently not. Apparently some people (very popular Rangers at that) weren't as offended and inconvenienced as people who seem to love drama like David Yost and that loud mouth Karan Ashley.

Trolling level = /m/

WillyFive

^ Yep. The GOLF MUST HAPPEN.

Space Sheriff Sharivan: The Next Generation

sharivan1.gif

This movie was amazing. Sakamoto sets the standard once again, his direct-to-video movies are always so much fun. Almost everyone in the cast did an excellent job with their parts, especially Abared as the villain and Blue Buster as the 4th Space Sheriff; albeit Gekiviolet as Sharivan didn't do so well, he was so robotic and lifeless....but by the end he was a pretty cool guy I guess. The story was well written with lots of fan service, putting the previous Gavan movie to shame; and despite not being released in theaters, the special effects were really good, mostly due to smart application and use of the type of Toei effects that look good (Flash animations, rotoscoping, motion tracking) and using less of the Toei effects that look awful (CG models, CG animation). You could also tell Sakamoto was inspired by a certain American sci-fi reboot.

Can't wait for the 2nd part with Date as Shaider.

It's a matter of flying to New Zealand to shoot for a day or two. That requires flying out in the first place, staying in the area for some times, shooting, and then flying back. Let's say five days on the low-end.

So someone - who may not be acting anymore - takes five days out of their week, including any leave time they have from their real jobs, to fly out to NZ and shoot at-most 10 minutes of footage.

So compensation: "Is what they're paying me greater than or equal to the lost time/pay in my real life?" For many of them, the answer was "no".

This is one of the benefits Japanese toku has over Power Rangers: it's nowhere near as much of a pain in the ass to get an old actor back logistically. Japan is an island, and the Shinkansen can take a person from Kagoshima to Aomori in a bit under 12 hours for around $250. Once they've worked out the contract, travel is far less of a hassle in Japan. The old actor can train in if they don't already live near the filming location, film their scenes, and get back on the train to home.

Wasn't the whole story for the Gokai cameos was that a good portion of them weren't even planned and they just had a lot of actors wanting to return than initially expected?

WillyFive

Wasn't the whole story for the Gokai cameos was that a good portion of them weren't even planned and they just had a lot of actors wanting to return than initially expected?

That's what I heard as well. Makes sense; the show began with only having red rangers having cameos, but by the end of the show it ended up having even minor characters like Magired's girlfriend and the kid from Goseiger having parts.

Corgi

Banned

https://tdcconsultinginc.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/sharivan1.gif

This movie was amazing. Sakamoto sets the standard once again, his direct-to-video movies are always so much fun. Almost everyone in the cast did an excellent job with their parts, especially Abared as the villain and Blue Buster as the 4th Space Sheriff; albeit Gekiviolet as Sharivan didn't do so well, he was so robotic and lifeless....but by the end he was a pretty cool guy I guess. The story was well written with lots of fan service, putting the previous Gavan movie to shame; and despite not being released in theaters, the special effects were really good, mostly due to smart application and use of the type of Toei effects that look good (Flash animations, rotoscoping, motion tracking) and using less of the Toei effects that look awful (CG models, CG animation). You could also tell Sakamoto was inspired by a certain American sci-fi reboot.

glad this is good. Been a bit down on most of the new gavan stuff. Suits look great, but everything else is meh.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Ah so Saban strikes again!

sharivan1.gif

From what I heard in /m/, there's also the fact that the direct to DVD movies were done by people who are experienced with toku vs. the ones who did the film. Sharivan really feels good and makes me anticipate Shaider.

ToQGer - 05

Alright espidoe, also Blue is the best

Blue gets his best power from NTRing

Corgi

Banned
sarivan is pretty fun. Good fights. They sure like to over explain everything though like its a kids show, but its ridiculously bloody, so its kinda weird disconnect.

gavan looking more and more like a young chow yu fat lol.

Boss Doggie

That's a reference to how most space sheriff eps are, there's explanations here and there, especially in the first ep

vareon

You guys weren't kidding with Sharivan. It's pretty cool. These films work much better with managed ambitions and special effects.

From what I heard in /m/, there's also the fact that the direct to DVD movies were done by people who are experienced with toku vs. the ones who did the film. Sharivan really feels good and makes me anticipate Shaider.

Shaider was my favorite of the three, so the fact that he's Date means Shaider next is hihg on my list.

shaowebb

Since I may never see one I figured I'd ask a fun question...If you were tasked with making a secondary Rider for any of the shows we've seen so far and his fighting style was meant to involve power wrestling moves like powerbombs, chokeslams, DVD,running clothesline, and muscle busters what would you use as his theme?

Any series related. I've wanted this since I started watching Riders so just name the series and how you'd have gone about making this character fighting style work around the themes in that series.

Boss Doggie

Bug ninjas? Reminds me of this guy

3aJd5rd.jpg

It's Tobikage from FEDA, he joins your army after his arc where you rescue him and fight his rival bug ninja

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Is it a good type of mess or bad and "Spits in the face of continuity"?

Bad mess. Very bad mess.
The series uses unadapted Sentai suits. The second episode introduces Dairanger with a very flimsy explanation. Later episodes introduce Maskman, Flashman, Changeman and Fiveman with no explanation at all.
It also gets aspects and terminology about the previous seasons wrong.

Nothing is actually explained, upgrades are handed to them on a silver platter, the pirate motif is completely ignored (even 4 year old kids can tell they're pirates), the characters are barely fleshed out or inconsistent *cough*Noah*cough*, and there's pointless filler in what should be an important anniversary season.

WarRock

Now that I've watched the Sharivan movie with subs; does it happens before or after the Gavan movie? The action scenes are great, can't wait for Shaider.

NeonZ

Now that I've watched the Sharivan movie with subs; does it happens before or after the Gavan movie? The action scenes are great, can't wait for Shaider.

After, since Makuu is referenced as a destroyed organization here, while there were remnants still around in the Gavan movie. Still, it doesn't matter much, aside from giving development to Geki, who's kind of a failure in the beginning of the New Gavan movie.

Top Bottom