• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...tai-vs-kamen-rider-tv-special-to-air-in-march

Toqger vs Gaim one hour special on March 30, also featuring Riders 1, 2 and V3. Well, at least Gaim is technically getting one extra episode out of this.

I wonder if Decade will be in this, since there's a picture of Tsukasa at Drupers that was posted a few weeks ago.

Toei's really been doing some neat little cross-over things as of late, with this and the mini-Movie Wars at the end of Wizard.

megaranger is worth a dab academically if you liked PR in Space. it's impressive how they utilized megaranger footage into an actual space scifi show to pretty decent results.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I liked the idea of the train duel they had. There were even some cool ideas in it but the awful cg really hurt the scene I feel.

Watch Da Birdie

Tokkyuger 2

I liked this episode, as said above, the Train Duel was pretty fun...and I loved the Looney Toons-style ending to it, legitimately made me laugh out loud.

I feel that TOQ hasn't really settled into a "feel" yet, because this episode had sort of a gloominess to it for most of the first half (people pulling out guns on one another was pretty violent all things considered, can you imagine the Power Rangers adaptation keeping that?), but also a goofy comedic tone, I imagine that this season might end up being one of those shows that's a bit darker than its light-hearted outer shell suggests. In fact it strongly reminds me of Den-O in that regards, as I found Yuuto's backstory to be pretty deep and a bit depressing for a comedic show, and it seems the TOQ might have a similar story going on.

I've even seen a theory that they're going the St. Elsewhere route, and Right's imagining everything (of course, if this ends up being the truth, I imagine they'll subvert it by making Right's imagination a reality) due to suffering head trauma. Just saw someone point out that the random kid of the day in the episode is wearing a shirt that says "Childrens Hospital Ward 28-31". I mean, yeah, Japanese t-shirts are usually weird and nonsensical, but that's pushing it...

I also like how they're traveling around to different cities each episodes (well, in real life it's probably all the same areas) instead of simply staying in one place, nice tie in to the train theme.

wonder why they still have gosei morpher in megaforce. especially when they a freaking phone now ;)

am i the only one that finds the big baddy of toq to look extremely badass?

reminds me of a steampunk version of pirates caribbean davy jones.

train duel was fun, reminds me of garo.

henshin music is great.

just remember something, ressha gattai is really similar to carranger/PRturbo megazord.

jwk94

Tokkyuger 2

I liked this episode, as said above, the Train Duel was pretty fun...and I loved the Looney Toons-style ending to it, legitimately made me laugh out loud.

I feel that TOQ hasn't really settled into a "feel" yet, because this episode had sort of a gloominess to it for most of the first half (people pulling out guns on one another was pretty violent all things considered, can you imagine the Power Rangers adaptation keeping that?), but also a goofy comedic tone, I imagine that this season might end up being one of those shows that's a bit darker than its light-hearted outer shell suggests. In fact it strongly reminds me of Den-O in that regards, as I found Yuuto's backstory to be pretty deep and a bit depressing for a comedic show, and it seems the TOQ might have a similar story going on.

I've even seen a theory that they're going the St. Elsewhere route, and Right's imagining everything (of course, if this ends up being the truth, I imagine they'll subvert it by making Right's imagination a reality) due to suffering head trauma. Just saw someone point out that the random kid of the day in the episode is wearing a shirt that says "Childrens Hospital Ward 28-31". I mean, yeah, Japanese t-shirts are usually weird and nonsensical, but that's pushing it...

I also like how they're traveling around to different cities each episodes (well, in real life it's probably all the same areas) instead of simply staying in one place, nice tie in to the train theme.
I would be incredibly surprised if they pulled a St. Elsewhere.

wonder why they still have gosei morpher in megaforce. especially when they a freaking phone now ;)

am i the only one that finds the big baddy of toq to look extremely badass?

reminds me of a steampunk version of pirates caribbean davy jones.

train duel was fun, reminds me of garo.

henshin music is great.

just remember something, ressha gattai is really similar to carranger/PRturbo megazord.

If keeping the Gosei Morphers means we get more awesome quick morphs like episode 2 had then that's fine by me.

The ToQger villains do look awesome, by the way.

If keeping the Gosei Morphers means we get more awesome quick morphs like episode 2 had then that's fine by me.

The ToQger villains do look awesome, by the way.

That would require like american footage for every eps, which i doubt they have. I'm betting they show up to upcoming battles in goseiger form and just go super mega right away, or there are some extended henshin stock footage where they go goseiger than gokaiger.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So the teen boss monster wfo's supposed to marry the Great Evil Emperor has a thing for the general instead

NeonZ

There's a magazine cover with a Baron silhouette saying that he's getting a New Arms. This is rather unexpected considering how he has nothing coming in the toyline. Looking at the silhouette, his new helmet resembles Duke's, with those headphone-like lemon parts on the sides.

megaranger is worth a dab academically if you liked PR in Space. it's impressive how they utilized megaranger footage into an actual space scifi show to pretty decent results.

It's worth WAY more than just a Power Rangers case study. It blows the best season of Power Rangers out of the water and then some.

Seriously, Mega is a good show. The cast comes together well and it has some surprisingly heavy moments. Also, it has George Costanza as team commander, how could you not love that?

Out of complete boredom I sat through the first two episodes of Super Megaforce.

PROS
+ Vekar seems more of a level-headed and able commander than Warz Gil ever was. I might prefer this version of the rubber-suited prince.

+ That opening shot of the five running on the water in the sunset is awesome.

+ "There's a simple explanation for that..." hahahaha. Got a genuine chuckle out of that.

+ Some great civilian moments in the second episode. See, Megaforce? That wasn't so hard was it? It's good to have these moments rather than slapping on as many Sentai footage fights in your episode as possible because it helps us get to know our characters more and to give an ounce of damn about them. And they're genuinely fun to watch, providing the cheese and the ham aren't so overdone that I'm dying from all the cholesterol.

+ Good effort made with the original footage in the second episode. GoseiRed outfit being used to fight the X-borgs and the stunts pulled in the warehouse.

+ Gokaiger battle footage is always fun to see again.

+ They actually yell out the morphing phrases and weapon names of the legendary powers.

CONS
- Why, oh why, oh why. Why are they bothering to KEEP the Goseiger costumes? Why not simply morph straight into the Gokaiger ones? In-show, there's no adequate explanation for why - say if the Legendary Megazord is losing a fight - someone can't just go BACK to the regular Megaforce powers and bring out I dunno, the Gosei Great or Ultimate Megazords?

- If they must keep the Goseiger costumes, the first episode would have far more impact if they had shown the rangers in standard Megaforce mode trying to fight the X-borgs and severely overwhelmed. Nope. Gosei just calls them in after three minutes into the episode and pulls out the Super Megaforce powers from his arse as usual. "Take these upgrade powers that for some reason I've never bothered to just give to you until now. Nor shall I tell you where these powers are from and why you're suddenly swashbuckling pirates. In fact, no. You're not pirates at all. Shut the hell up."

- Have I mentioned how annoying it is to Gosei pull new powers from his arse yet? Yes? I'll reiterate it then. It gets doubly annoying when he claims the rangers have earned these new powers because of something vague they'd surely have already demonstrated sometime in the last year in the job. They've earned jack shit, mate.

- Dairanger costumes. Okay, I'm fine with that, even if it goes against what an anniversary show should be doing. Have a very brief foreword that these new powers came from the same power behind the White Ranger and the Thunderzords, only manifest. Or maybe at least something about how these are ancient rangers. Or even say they originally belong to some rangers on another planet who fight with the power of chi, but have elected to bestow upon the rangers of Earth their power to help fight against invasion. But you can't just lazily handwave it with next to no actual explanation, or to even leave them unnamed. If you're throwing in a completely hitherto unseen team of rangers, you should explain who they are and where they are from. It's basic writing. You don't simply drop them into the PR universe and leave it at that.

- The execs for some reason think that kids tune out if someone isn't babbling awful dialogue for two seconds. Shut up for a bit. Why are some quiet moments looked upon like the plague to the producers?

- Oh never mind. Vekar reverts to Gokai's Warz Gil footage. Here I thought they were on the cusp of making him a rather different character.

- Not feeling Levira's voice. Sounds like a fandub for some reason.

- Let's reiterate this again: they're clearly pirates, but no one in the show is admitting this. You have kids in the target demographic who can clearly see they're pirates. If you don't get a hint of it in the costumes, their friggin' Skyship is unambiguously a pirate ship. The Legendary Megazord's transformation sequence ends with a large black flag in the background. And it's a shame in that were this not a hybrid show where motifs are just either edited out of the footage or just downright ignored by the characters, a good standalone series could have been done out of the Gokai footage. And no bullshit excuse about how pirates make awful role models should ever be made. There is nothing wrong with the kid-friendly, fictional, romanticised pirate. That's the sort of pirate kids will see, rather than anything to do with raping and pillaging, or even Somali pirates.

I didn't take that into account. I do remember seeing a interview with him and the cast at SDCC, and he had a lot of emotion there.

Jaden seems like a decent guy as well irl.

Something i've always noticed in PR, even in seasons with generally good out of suit acting, things have to be 3x more cheesy and weird sounding when in suit in terms of script and inflections.... I guess its to match the more exaggerated motions of the sentai footage?

Or maybe you have to sacrifice brain processing power for added strength and agility when tapping into the morphing grid :p

Watch Da Birdie

There's a magazine cover with a Baron silhouette saying that he's getting a New Arms. This is rather unexpected considering how he has nothing coming in the toyline. Looking at the silhouette, his new helmet resembles Duke's, with those headphone-like lemon parts on the sides.

A lot of people early on were speculating that Baron would receive Duke's Energy Arms due to the simillar appearances and naming schemes, but that idea was sort of put down for a bit when Kouta got Lemon Raiment (but it seems he's getting Cherry Raiment soon as well), but the theory has more support now.

Plus, you know, Secondary Rider getting a Blue and Yellow Upgrade is tradition.

Jaden seems like a decent guy as well irl.

Something i've always noticed in PR, even in seasons with generally good out of suit acting, things have to be 3x more cheesy and weird sounding when in suit in terms of script and inflections.... I guess its to match the more exaggerated motions of the sentai footage?

Or maybe you have to sacrifice brain processing power for added strength and agility when tapping into the morphing grid :p

You might be on to something. Whenever it's Goseiger suits in SM, Troy always sounds bland and boring. However once they go Gokaiger his VA gets better and more badass. idk if it's the direction they have to take it because of the sentai characters or if it's something else

Plus, you know, Secondary Rider getting a Blue and Yellow Upgrade is tradition.

...holy shit, you could be onto something here. It's a shame because blue and yellow is a repulsive colour combination in my opinion. The worst has to be Meteor Storm, which hurt more than it should given that the base Meteor suit is just that damn beautiful.

Jimber Cherry just looks so redundant. It's a shame, really. You homogenise the Energy Riders with the same tiny toy bow weapon and as a result they - and by extension the Jimber upgrades - are blander than they ought to be.

Kachidoki looks amazing and it's probably the first time in a while I've looked at an upgrade form and immediately loved it. Last time that happened was probably Fang Joker.

And potential new villain
Overlord Inves seems to represent a new executive-class Inves.
Makes sense. For a while our antagonists have been Yggdrasil's riders and it's time we face an evil that as Takatora has said, cannot be easily attributed to reason and rationality.

There's this allegorical fall from innocence here. A forest, forbidden fruits, the realisation of a terrible truth - it's all centered on the concept of that childlike state of innocence (and ignorance) dissolving before Kouta and Micchy. Now Micchi has already walked the path of the truth by seeing it, so he's already kind of fallen from innocence. But he's most happy in that state of innocence - on Team Gaim, dancing with everyone, and being with Mai - so while he knows he must take the eventual full-bodied dive into adulthood in the shape of Yggdrasill's empty chair waiting for him, he wants to delay the process as much as he can.

The chat going on as Kaito and Sid fight is interesting in the contrasting ideals going on. Sid believes kids shouldn't ever mess around in the domain of adults' business where they don't belong because there are reams of things that they can never comprehend. Kaito on the other hand belittles people like Sid for being so eager to keep secrets. Transparency to Kaito, is strength, because what should you have to fear from being straight and honest with everyone else?

Sorry, Kaito. You won't last a day as a politician.

WillyFive

I'm really liking the premise behind ToQger. Hopefully Kobayashi keeps that aspect of the plot developing throughout the show
(but knowing her past work, it will disappear soon for a good long while until January 2015)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
ToQger 2

So the villains are Xehanort and the new Organization XIII?

Decent episode. I will agree about the tone issues though, with the violent dueling and the lost memories taking up the first half, and then still doing the comedy (though the part where the MotW's swords were destroyed by the tunnel was funny).

The villain designs are really well done.

Tenumi

Banned
So far... I'm not really feeling ToQGer. The biggest thing that's going to effect the season is its story development and character development. The fighting has been just alright so far, and the color/line change has felt tacked on. Maybe those will improve later, but so far, first impressions from these 2 episodes are iffy.

Honestly, I might end up dropping it in a couple of weeks if it doesn't keep my interest. I've still got Dairanger and Maskman to watch on the Sentai side, and Gaim and W on the Rider side, so it's not like I'm leaving myself with a year long gap there.

The last time I was impressed with a hyper/ultimate/final form was Kabuto Hyper form.

Until it opened up.
3.png

The villain designs are really well done.

Sans Miss Grita in my opinion, but then again, for a demonic take on what I presume to be a Spanish infanta, I don't know how else she can look for a rubber costume. Just irksome to imagine her in love with Schwartz because she looks and sounds like a child.

The last time I was impressed with a hyper/ultimate/final form was Kabuto Hyper form.

Just for the heck of it:

Kuuga Ultimate - Imposing and intimidating. Obviously not as overdesigned and laden with all sorts of assorted body pieces and attachments as today's riders, but that's part of this suit's majesty. Love the gold lines.
---> Kuuga Rising Ultimate - Not terrible, but kind of garish and overdone, especially with this sudden explosion of spiked parts. This suit - let's face it - was kind of unnecessary anyway.)

Agito Shining - I prefer Burning to be honest. The colour combination of Shining doesn't sit right with me. I'm putting my finger on the silvery-white that has replaced Burning's red.

Ryuki Survive - It's...okay. I really don't know what to say about this one, other than perhaps it signals the dawn of final forms featuring bulkier and more ornamental designs.
(Knight Survive - yeah, may as well talk about him too. I find that choice of blue a bit odd to be honest. I'm not sure - perhaps it's a bit too bold and bright a blue colour. The armour comes off as looking very toy-like compared to the base Knight design.)

Faiz Blaster - Pretty good. It doesn't change the design language of regular Faiz too much and the red looks good on him.

Blade King - Looks bulky and cumbersome, but a damn better look than regular Blade, who I still maintain to be one of the least aesthetically appealing main rider designs. Certainly regal enough to live up to its name. And man, looking at the little minor design elements in the armour with the individual Undead emblems is pretty sweet. A lot of work went into this suit.
(Chalice Wild - A wee bit messy, but otherwise not much to say about this one.)

Hibiki Armed - I have not seen Hibiki past the second episode, so I've not seen this suit in motion (I've purged Decade from my memory, so I don't recall much of Hibiki Armed in the show). But based on images alone, I quite like it.Very respectable design, and akin to maybe a better looking Ryukendo member.

Kabuto Hyper - The flaps that open up when Hyper Clock Up initiates look daft to me, but otherwise a very solid design that does the job without departing from base Kabuto's design too much. But yeah, it really didn't need to open up...

Den-O Liner - Well, it's better than Climax. Denkamen Sword looks horrific when he holds it, but otherwise a decent suit that has the liner motif all over it I suppose.
(Zeronos Zero - just a repaint of Altair with a very depressing dull maroon colour. Not exactly a fan of it)

Kiva Emperor - THIS one, I actively dislike. Base Kiva has a good gothic look to it, but Emperor supplants that with an ocean of lurid gold against the red that makes him look like some dodgy matador than anything very vampiric. Not helped by the sword he gets later that just adds +10 to how silly he looks.
(IXA Rising - Not a fan of this one either, and I quite liked the basic white knight IXA suit. I still maintain that Saga is the show's best design.)

Decade Complete - Kill it with fire.
(Diend Complete - Better than Decade Complete, but I can't ignore the cards.)

W Xtreme - I still don't get why there are three coloured "columns" to the upgrade especially when the show's motif never wants us to forget that it's half and half. Still, not a bad design itself.
---> W Xtreme Gold(?) - Meh.The gold middle looks bad, as do the fairy wings.
(Accel Trial - I like it. Love the tires texture and the clear motocross motif in the helmet. I just wish they'd have dispensed with the redundant little wheel at the back.)

OOO Super TaToBa - So it looks like this is OOO's actual final form. And it's bad. You invert the colours and he now looks incoherent, garish, and more of a traffic light than ever.

Fourze Cosmic - At first glance, the helmet looks evil. Now it just looks ugly. Rest of the suit is fine and I like the colour scheme.
(Meteor Storm - Base Meteor suit is boss. Meteor Storm suit wishes it can be a fraction of its greatness. But alas, it's awful.)

Wizard Infinity - It surprised me at first. It took the basic Dragon template and added jazz to it. Buuuut on camera, what is supposed to be glamorous diamond most obviously looks cheap and tacky on the suit.
(Beast Hyper - I don't like the Meteor Storm colour combination. What makes me think I would ever like Hyper's same colour combination, especially when the torso looks bad. Yet another case of a secondary rider turning the ugly button on when upgrading.)

Going through that list, Hibiki Armed comes across as the best final form. Shame the Armed Saber is tiny and toyetic.

This has also brought to my attention that there hasn't been a single final form weapon that's looked great. I love the Shotgun Sword (Kiva's Zanvat Sword) but that's just because the cocking motion makes little sense for a sword. Maybe the Faiz Blaster?

Yeah, the Faiz Blaster is decent.

Ryuki Survive has a gunblade I think. That's sort of cool.

Blade King's sword isn't bad either. Sure, it looks distinctively toyetic as a prop and in terms of design it could be more elegant, but I like the idea of dropping some cards into its slot and then having it declare ROYAL STRAIGHT FLUSH.

W's Prism Bicker is okay compared to others.

Rest are anywhere from bad to downright terrible. The PuToTyra axe/bazooka thing stands out in that regard especially when it tries to be an axe.

ReiGun

In every KR season I've seen, the quarter season special form has been better than the final form. The only times this hasn't been the case are Faiz (Blaster > Axel), Den-O (Liner >>> Climax), and obviously Decade and Kabuto since they didn't get any special form beyond their final ones. Though both look much better in their base forms.

PuToTyra getting shafted for Super TaToBa is also as big a crime as Liner getting shafted for Super Climax.

i judge final forms by how well they fight in them, so in that case, infinity style might be my favorite. Being able to tank and super speed, not shabby.

wish he had more challenging motw to fight though. no clue why there weren't really any super phantoms or something midseason.

Watch Da Birdie

The true final form of OOO is Tajador though. :)

Sans Miss Grita in my opinion, but then again, for a demonic take on what I presume to be a Spanish infanta, I don't know how else she can look for a rubber costume. Just irksome to imagine her in love with Schwartz because she looks and sounds like a child.

Reminds me of Quina Quin from FFIX. But that's my favorite FF character.

pariah164

Just now realized this existed. 'This' being the thread, not Toku; been watching sentai since Magiranger, Kamen Rider since Kiva. Liking Gaim and ToQ so far, though the lack of questions being answered in the latter is kind of annoying.

KingDirk

List wars? List wars.

I've been working my way backwards more-or-less from Fourze (though I finished Wizard, am actively watching Gaim, and skipped Decade until I have more of the Heisei shows watched) and am currently partway through Kabuto. SO, this list is incomplete. Still, ultimate forms:

1. Fourze Cosmic States: I cannot be objective about Fourze, so this may be unfair, but I really like this form. The color palate is night, the switches on the chest aren't so overdone as to be too ridiculous (like Decade Complete]), and the head being as rocket-y as it can be I just love. It's absolutely busy and skirts being a trainwreck, but yeah, it's great. Plus, it came about in a really good storyline in an especially good series, so yeah.

2. Kiva Emperor Form: Perplexed, we have to agree to disagree. I love love love LOVE this form, and I was happy he didn't get an upgrade near the end because I didn't see what could be done to make it better (beyond adding the most, er, suggestive sword this side of He-Man.) The half-cape, the coloration, just the pure regalness of it...so good, and the way the suit actor played it was great too.

3. Cyclone Xtreme Joker: I don't really think silver's the overlap in a Venn Diagram of green and black, but it was a simple addition to a simple costume and it worked well. Loved whenever W appeared to be pulling itself open for to achieve the form, and its introduction in the show is up there with Fourze's in terms of 'Hell yeah.' (Nobody is allowed to hate on "Nobody's Perfect.")

4. Liner Form: Criminally underused in the show, especially as the suit actor had to play it all super-wimpy. I loved the combination of the visual liner aesthetics with something suggesting a topknot. That Climax Form received so much more exposure is mind-boggling to me.

5. PuToTyra: As much as I love the purple color, this suit always looked unusually cheap compared to the other costumes, and I think it was too busy. TaJaDor is so much better; I'm glad it was used in the final fight sequence.

6. Infinity: A step up from the dragon forms, but only barely. His head becoming a ring was the kind of ridiculous I can appreciate, but the material (as identified before) looked super-cheap and it's just way too bulky. Garbage suit from a garbage show.

vareon

Ooooh, list wars. Let me join.

Kuuga Ultimate: Intimidating, simple and to the point. Too bad the suit showed its age, though. He looked much better in the original series than Decade. Probably my second favorite final form.

Shining Agito: I prefer Burning's brutish design to Shining's majestic, but the Shining Caliber is an awesome weapon.

Ryuki Survive: Looks cumbersome and his weapon looks too toyetic. Probably the least favorite.

Faiz Blaster: Neutral on this. Looks a bit too vanilla to be honest.

Blade King: Among my favorites, really. I liked the bulkiness, it's like wearing an armor for Lv. 99 Paladin.

Hibiki Armed: I like this except the armed saber, which is completely out of theme

Hyper Kabuto: Was OK...until it opened and spouted wings everywhere.

Kiva Emperor: Not liking the show and costume design, but the SIC is my favorite design. I think the suit failed to capture the concept in this.

Decade Complete: Ugh at the cards. The SIC improved it in many ways.

Cyclone Joker Xtreme: Kind of meh.
Cyclone Joker Gold Xtreme: A bit better, but just because I like wings.

PuToTyra: I don't like that it had to have a white suit suddenly :I
Super TaToBa: A little bit meh at first, but I like it better as a definitive version of OOO's final form.

Cosmic States: Liked the blue and the weapon is insane enough.
Meteor Fusion Nadeshiko: I like Meteor Fusion, yet they suddenly had to add two stubby rockets on both arms...

Wizard Infinity: Head is weird, and I vastly prefer Flame Dragon.

Just now realized this existed. 'This' being the thread, not Toku; been watching sentai since Magiranger, Kamen Rider since Kiva. Liking Gaim and ToQ so far, though the lack of questions being answered in the latter is kind of annoying.

The latter you mean ToQ? It's just two episodes o_o

whats with recent sentai series gotta have a creepy 'sexy lady' monster?

I liked it better when they were just porn stars in fetish gear :X

New topic.

Top favorite mecha/megazord combination sequences!

1. Great go-buster-oh - It being done in the hangar by the support crew is just sooo cool.
2. Super Train Megazord - flying fucking train with a plane in the bg with 'airplane hum' while its combining, so good.
3. Dekabase robo. - notice a trend? I like the tubby ones that are epic scale :3
4. rescue megazord - like how everything is done 'in world' and not in some mystical field, ie: green lifts up the feet and red climbs up.
5. thunder megazord - not dairanger's, the whole dinozords tranforming and the rollcall and the full mmpr song blasting... soo good.

- Victory Robo/Lightspeed Megazord - Based on the lengthy initial transformation sequence in the show, this thing takes a damn while to put together. By then you'd have expected the demon to have leveled the whole place by then. Still, I don't care. It's still one of the most memorable and brilliant transformation sequences I've seen in Sentai/PR. I love how Aero Rescue has to haul Hydro and Pyro up one at a time before swooping in to complete the sequence by forming the head. The only silly thing about it are the legs walking on their own shooting out water. And one of my favourite mecha/Megazords ever.

- RyuseiOh & DairenOh/Red Dragon Thunderzord & Thunder Megazord - the whole thing. Especially when the other four fold into armour pieces and attach onto the base mecha to form this distinct Chinese warlord general. One of the best designs, gimmicks and sequences ever.

- Grand Liner/Super Train Megazord - There's something majestic about this huge train launching itself into the air using raised tracks, shooting through the air with Tokyo Tower behind it, uncoupling and then transforming together in mid-air before grandly coming back to earth by rolling right straight up to the opponent on rails.

- OhBlocker/Super Zeo Megazord - I like how it literally falls into place, as each piece lands on top of each other as they're about to touch down on the ground. Just too bad it's not an aesthetically pleasing Megazord itself.

- DekaBase Robo/Delta Command - Because you sort of see what's happening inside as it's about to transform, and while it's in the process of doing so. Lockdown mode occurs, and all sorts of bulkheads come down to secure the interior. Were I fault this sequence, it's when the whole blocky thing has to magically lift itself up off its back to stand up.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The only thing I don't like in the ToQger team is the roll call. Why does the conductor say their name twice (ToQ No. 1! ToQ No. 1!)

ToQGer 02 was fun again. I'm not immediately loving it but it's decent enough. I like the whole "please stand behind the white line while transformation occurs" thing.

We're getting another Sentai parody series:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-02-26/kanpai-senshi-after-v-sentai-parody-slated-for-april

I hope it doesn't get too meta like Akiba did.

I think the meta angle worked for Akibaranger but this'd definitely be better played a bit straighter. Just "how the characters wind down after they've spent the day fighting evil" is a good enough premise in and of itself.

The only thing I don't like in the ToQger team is the roll call. Why does the conductor say their name twice (ToQ No. 1! ToQ No. 1!)

I don't live somewhere where we take trains locally so I don't know for sure myself but it'd be a train thing, yeah? Repeating the announcement of an upcoming station or whatever?

Top Bottom