• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

WillyFive

Conductors say the name and destination of each train twice so that passengers are aware that their train has arrived or is about to depart. I love that they implemented that in the roll call. Also, the monkey and the conductor are awesome.

Also, with Kyoryuger done, I think I know where to put it on my list.

1. Jetman
2. Timeranger
3. Kyoryuger
4. Gekiranger
5. Gokaiger
6. Shinkenger
7. Magiranger
8. Go-Busters
9. Dekaranger

Its story was mostly standard Sentai archeatype, but each episode was executed so well, with so much care and quality, that I still found it better than a show that did show unique stuff but wasn't all that great at it (like Go-Busters).

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I keep having these Kamen Rider Faiz flashbacks (mostly triggered by Wiki reading), where I remember that he's the first main rider to be technology based and
the fact that he's not human, but an Orphenoc himself
makes me think I should just re-watch Faiz. Specially since I don't remember most of it.

Too bad the T-N releases are of TERRIBLE quality.

pariah164

I keep having these Kamen Rider Faiz flashbacks (mostly triggered by Wiki reading), where I remember that he's the first main rider to be technology based and
the fact that he's not human, but an Orphenoc himself
makes me think I should just re-watch Faiz. Specially since I don't remember most of it.

Too bad the T-N releases are of TERRIBLE quality.
Why does everyone seem to hate TV-Nihon? I think their subs are good.

faiz is better the less you remember tbh because the premise and the suits and related gimmicks are badass.

(love the little picture instructions on how to henshin on the case).

People dislike tv-n because of kinda questionable translations and them love of mixing jp and english.

I do like their fx though.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Which is what? /lost

iHKN0JGL2ced1.gif

Jigoku no Banken is, quite literally, "Hell's Watchdog". Jigoku means "Hell", Banken means "watchdog"

You know, like Cerberus, the dog that guards hell. They're both hellhounds.

The translation also explains why he is engulfed in flames when performing his final attack:

ibkg7evl8xnxbj.gif

Also, I just like posting those gifs. :p

Edit: I went through 4 different proper translations of the term to post this message, and they didn't use any of them.

Edit2: I guess I only know that by heart BECAUSE TV-N never translated it, and that fact is so atrocious to me that the actual translation is forever embeded in my brain, so there's that.

Shinkenger was a big mess. They would never translate any of the attack names to try to "keep it in the spirit of the Japanese culture" or some crap. My head was spinning with all the "kaen no mai" and other things. Just translate it! I guess that's why this page exists:

http://onoretvn.tumblr.com/

Did the attack names in Gekiranger have translations? I mean real ones not Tvn

Yeah, they're usually like "something something fist" or "this that attack" or the like.

Most of Shinkenger's final attacks were "Dance of flame" or "Dance of water" or whatever. All of these things are translatable things.

Also, with Kyoryuger done, I think I know where to put it on my list.

1. Jetman
2. Timeranger
3. Kyoryuger
4. Gekiranger
5. Gokaiger
6. Shinkenger
7. Magiranger
8. Go-Busters
9. Dekaranger

Its story was mostly standard Sentai archeatype, but each episode was executed so well, with so much care and quality, that I still found it better than a show that did show unique stuff but wasn't all that great at it (like Go-Busters).

Kyoryuger is my new Kamen Rider W for sentai; the show that I offer up when neophytes want to experience Super Sentai for the first time.

WillyFive

Kyoryuger 100 Years Later Blu-Ray cover:

Yeah, they're usually like "something something fist" or "this that attack" or the like.

Most of Shinkenger's final attacks were "Dance of flame" or "Dance of water" or whatever. All of these things are translatable things.

Seeing Millionfold Curiosity's/Over-Time's subs for Goseiger vs, Shinkenger was a real surreal experience; having everything translated. I wish I could see the whole show like that, it would be like a whole new experience.

Seeing Millionfold Curiosity's/Over-Time's subs for Goseiger vs, Shinkenger was a real surreal experience; having everything translated. I wish I could see the whole show like that, it would be like a whole new experience.

Yeah, that movie was amazing for the fact that all of a sudden you found out all these Goseiger and Shinkenger terms actually MEANT something.

It's also awesome that both shows are getting full re-releases.

Any of you who didn't like Goseiger, give MFC's release a shot, its a lot better when properly translated. There's a ton of references and subtleties that got lost in (non) translation with Nihon.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
When I first started watching Tokusatsu with Fourze on a steaming site, I thought the little effects for the switches was part of the Japanese show and not TV-N's doing.

WillyFive

It still makes me chuckle that Rangerwiki still calls him Buredoran.

Anyway, Rangerwiki is terrible. Why are Wiki's so hard to do right for this fanbase? Always a tiny number of people controlling all information with an iron fist, and actively fighting against adding information. No fanbase should ever rely on just word-of-mouth, but that is exactly what these wiki editors try to keep. It propagates misinformation by refusing to have a solid place to get information from.

Especially considering the editors there write like children. It should be the subbers writing this stuff, like what MFC did with Goseiger's characters and those that translate interviews/blog posts from the actors and TV companies.

Slayven

It still makes me chuckle that Rangerwiki still calls him Buredoran.

Anyway, Rangerwiki is terrible. Why are Wiki's so hard to do right for this fanbase? Always a tiny number of people controlling all information with an iron fist, and actively fighting against adding information. No fanbase should ever rely on just word-of-mouth, but that is exactly what these wiki editors try to keep. It propagates misinformation by refusing to have a solid place to get information from.

Especially considering the editors there write like children.

I meant Wikipedia. Wikias are almost useless, and some cases like the Transformers one offensive.

WillyFive

Whoever does the FX for TV-N has gotten really poor at it in the past few years. Fourze's effects were ok, but Wizard was just really shockingly bad, and Kyoryuger and Gaim got worse.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You should post Dekamaster's henshin gif because that's the best part. :3

Also didn't know it's a Japan train thing. Interesting.

pariah164

You should post Dekamaster's henshin gif because that's the best part. :3

Also didn't know it's a Japan train thing. Interesting.
It's also a thing here. The trolley in San Diego goes something like, "The next station is Little Italy. Little Italy is next." It's similar.

ahdurian

Hi all

just wondering, is there any place I can watch "older" Sentai/Rider stuff with english subs?
Really interested in watching stuff like Hurricanger and Abaranger, but as far as I know, there was like 1 group subbing it and stopped at episode 10 for each

vareon

Hi all

just wondering, is there any place I can watch "older" Sentai/Rider stuff with english subs?
Really interested in watching stuff like Hurricanger and Abaranger, but as far as I know, there was like 1 group subbing it and stopped at episode 10 for each

I know there's a link somewhere in this thread that tells which group subs which shows and how many episodes, but I can't remember if it includes Sentai or not.

Why are translations a big issue in toku but not anime?

They were a big issue in the pre-crunchyroll era, but you still have a lot of choices considering there were a lot of groups.

In tokusatsu it's a combination of lesser audience and TVN being the dominant entity in the subs with questionable quality.

Top Bottom