• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

This doesn't look good imo

Yeah, some of them go too far. I always tried to keep by subs out of the way and make them blend in as much as possible. I don't have a problem with different fonts for belt voices and such, but keep it subtle.

By the by, in the opening for ToQ 02, Blue falls down this time. I guess we'll get one per episode?

I'm loving their roll call pose, especially bubbly Pink in the back. Odd, since I dislike the character.

8n3QP8S.png

pariah164

Something I found hilarious was Blue/ToQ2/Tokacchi/Tokatti having to push up the rails on his visor like they were his glasses.

Also, pushing up my glasses like he does doesn't work for me for some reason. It just makes them lopsided.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Remember that group that would sub naruto and Bleach and the shit they use to pull?

One Piece was just as bad (if not worse).
The one big group basically told the entire fandom a lie about the word "nakama" and for some fans it's stuck ever since. A lot of people are trying to kill it for good, but it somehow finds ways to resurface.
And yes, the one big group did overuse effects and refuse to translate Japanese.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUYlqLlbix0 This documentary goes over the problems of fansubbing before Crunchyroll & Funimation. A lot of this applies to TV-Nihon.

I do wish there were official Toku subs. It'd make life so much easier.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
By the by, in the opening fot ToQ 02, Blue falls down this time. I guess we'll get once per episode?

I'm loving their roll call pose, especially bubbly Pink in the back. Odd, since I dislike the character.

Yeah I noticed this too. I wonder if it will be the only thing that will change episode to episode. If so I wonder if there's any significance (probably not)

i7eU0qXIIgDbs.gif

Something I found hilarious was Blue/ToQ2/Tokacchi/Tokatti having to push up the rails on his visor like they were his glasses.

Also, pushing up my glasses like he does doesn't work for me for some reason. It just makes them lopsided.

He did that during the first episode too. He habitually adjusts his glasses even when the helmets in the way.

WillyFive

I do wish there were official Toku subs. It'd make life so much easier.

Yeah. Too bad about live action actor's fees, otherwise Crunchyroll would be doing it by now.

I wish they'd do what they did with Akibaranger, host official subs on Bandai's Official Channel, except this time for the West.

At the very least, it would end such petty arguments as to whether the correct is Right or Light; or if it's Deboss or Deboth; or if it's Lio or Rio; etc.

fmpanda

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUYlqLlbix0 This documentary goes over the problems of fansubbing before Crunchyroll & Funimation. A lot of this applies to TV-Nihon.

Watching this, I was trying to remember an earlier post someone had made about a group that was screwing with folks over Naruto and Bleach. I now remember that it was Dattebayo subs. Really scummy stuff.

I do kinda wish that Toei-paid channel had taken off. I would've gladly paid for a dedicated joint like that.

Slayven

Watching this, I was trying to remember an earlier post someone had made about a group that was screwing with folks over Naruto and Bleach. I now remember that it was Dattebayo subs. Really scummy stuff.

I do kinda wish that Toei-paid channel had taken off. I would've gladly paid for a dedicated joint like that.

I had to dig to remember it was Dattebayo. They use to fuck over their fans hardcore, always threatening to drop shit for inane reasons.

WillyFive

i guess i'll look through the topic.

Unfortunately those two shows are incomplete, unless you want to brave HK subs. However, check out Grown Ups In Spandex, which has completed a bunch of older Sentai shows, including Jetman, Zyuranger, Liveman, and Maskman; and are currently doing Bioman and Kakuranger.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I'm SIC-only. Wizard is up next, meaning the only good thing about the show (that wonderful design) will soon have a full-size SIC in my home.

its the posability that im looking into figuarts. hearing about parts breaking has me a bit shook over SIC figures. although i do appreciate the insane level of detail that comes with them

its the posability that im looking into figuarts. hearing about parts breaking has me a bit shook over SIC figures. although i do appreciate the insane level of detail that comes with them

That hasn't been a problem since... I'd say the Kabuto line. Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, W, and OOO have all be amazingly solid and super posable.

kabuto07.jpg

DSCN9807.jpg

And he turns into Hyper.

SIC-Kamen-Rider-Kabuto-Review-03.jpg

DSCN9899.jpg

That's why I love my SICs. So goddamn detailed.

vareon

Kabuto line is my least liked SIC line. All that sleek designs turned to be....the same just with more bumps.

SICs were way better if it's a reimagining of a goofy design, like the showa riders or Decade complete. Too bad Fourze isn't getting any soon, but Wizard's sketch look so awesome that I don't mind.

Kabuto line is my least liked SIC line. All that sleek designs turned to be....the same just with more bumps.

SICs were way better if it's a reimagining of a goofy design, like the showa riders or Decade complete. Too bad Fourze isn't getting any soon, but Wizard's sketch look so awesome that I don't mind.

I own Kabuto, IXA/Dark Kiva, W Cyclone Joker, W Heat Metal/Luna Trigger, OOO Tajador, OOO PutoTyra.

Probably picking up the Hopper brothers and Shin Ichigo (waiting to see if they do the other colors). Definitely getting Wizard. Sad we won't get Fourze at all.

after 2 eps of toq... 2016 PR is gonna be wack. There options are pretty much:

- use kyoruger for 2 seasons super dino charge
- do something like RPM with toq?
- go back and do gobusters.

Slayven

Am I crazy or was the comedy better in the early years of power rangers? And the in suit voice overs not as painful? They seems like they scream and force every line when suited up.

BatDan

you gotten older.

They are still trying to use 90's humor in 2014.

I've been saying that Saban is stuck in the 90s for a while now.
They suffer from many of the problems 90s shows had that most series have moved past. Non-stop puns, never say "die", FUCKING LULL DESTRUCTION!

It doesn't help that almost every episode goes on about protecting the earth and how great the earth is. Hopefully Super Megaforce finally stops doing that... but we'll see what happens.

Am I crazy or was the comedy better in the early years of power rangers? And the in suit voice overs not as painful? They seems like they scream and force every line when suited up.

They need new writers and production staff. They really should talk to Nick's Avatar and TMNT teams or something.

Saban is just so tied into doing what worked before instead of finding out what works now.

Slayven

I've been saying that Saban is stuck in the 90s for a while now.
They suffer from many of the problems 90s shows had that most series have moved past. Non-stop puns, never say "die", FUCKING LULL DESTRUCTION!

It doesn't help that almost every episode goes on about protecting the earth and how great the earth is. Hopefully Super Megaforce finally stops doing that... but we'll see what happens.

They need new writers and production staff. They really should talk to Nick's Avatar and TMNT teams or something.

Saban is just so tied into doing what worked before instead of finding out what works now.
Maybe show why they are protecting the earth.

And everything was cheaper in the 90s that is why Saban loves it.

WillyFive

Unless ToQ somehow bombs in sales, I'm certain we'all get an almost 1:1 translation of the show. Funnily enough, almost all of the shows this writer did (Shinkenger, Timeranger, Gingaman) ended up having a very close adaptation into PR.

Also, Saban just trademarked Dino Supercharge....

Unless ToQ somehow bombs in sales, I'm certain we'all get an almost 1:1 translation of the show. Funnily enough, almost all of the shows this writer did (Shinkenger, Timeranger, Gingaman) ended up having a very close adaptation into PR.

ehhh lost galaxy is a stretch lol. gingaman wasn't battlestar galactica if I recall properly.

I can already see the toq commericals.

5 dead teens must fight evil trains to save the world!

pariah164

Ugh. They turn everything they touch to crap. I almost wish Power Rangers didn't exist.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

damn saban. gonna pad this shit out as much as possible. i fear what the super in super charge means

jwk94

Well they did just trademark Power Rangers Dino Supercharge...

damn saban. gonna pad this shit out as much as possible. i fear what the super in super charge means
It's probably just Carnival mode.

Tenumi

Banned
*Sigh*... Sad to see the Anti-PR people here. Seriously? Wishing it "didn't exist"? Is Sentai that important to your life that you can't have anybody touching it whatsoever? Did it ever occur that you don't actually have to watch a show if you don't want to?

Super Megaforce has been fine so far. A few hiccups, but every show has those, even the most well received. Dino Charge has nothing but a name so far, and people decide it's crap already.

I hate people that do this. And I mean hate. Frankly, it's somewhat turning me off the entire Toku scene. I grew up enjoying PR. I still enjoy it. I enjoy Super Sentai, mostly. But the fact of the matter is that they are pitched to different audiences, neither of which we are part of. We are not the Primary demographic of these shows, and never will be for as long as both remain vessels for merchandising.

jwk94

a whole season on carnival mode? can saban pull it off?

No, I mean it will probably be used to introduce Carnival in the first episode then continue from there. Kinda like how they introduced Super Samurai mode in the first episode of Super Samurai.

BatDan

I'd prefer Power Rangers done competently, meaning giving it someone that isn't Saban, or the writers need to change their focus.

Though, considering Dino Supercharge has been trademarked, we might get a repeat of Samurai/Super Samurai with tons of padding and loads of breaks (which I blame on Nickelodeon).

Ugh. They turn everything they touch to crap. I almost wish Power Rangers didn't exist.

PR has good seasons. I'm just not sure their heart is in it.

That's less a problem with the concept of Power Rangers and more of their current handling of the show.

*Sigh*... Sad to see the Anti-PR people here. Seriously? Wishing it "didn't exist"? Is Sentai that important to your life that you can't have anybody touching it whatsoever? Did it ever occur that you don't actually have to watch a show if you don't want to?

Super Megaforce has been fine so far. A few hiccups, but every show has those, even the most well received. Dino Charge has nothing but a name so far, and people decide it's crap already.

I hate people that do this. And I mean hate. Frankly, it's somewhat turning me off the entire Toku scene. I grew up enjoying PR. I still enjoy it. I enjoy Super Sentai, mostly. But the fact of the matter is that they are pitched to different audiences, neither of which we are part of. We are not the Primary demographic of these shows, and never will be for as long as both remain vessels for merchandising.

Even taking away Super Sentai, Power Rangers itself can and has been better. Giving it a pass because we're not the target demographic has little to do with the fact that there are shows made for the same demographic which are produced better.

Super Megaforce is currently fine, but it's the anniversary season where they can turn into other Rangers. Every episode should be great.

You can sell toys and just have a show that exists to do that. Alternatively, you can create a show that sells toys *and* tells an amazing story. This isn't and either or thing and I enjoy Power Rangers too much to just say "eh," especially when TMNT is on the same network and tells a better story with higher ratings.

TL;DR I want Power Rangers and I'm getting Superhuman Samurai Cybersquad.

ReiGun

I'd prefer Power Rangers done competently, meaning giving it someone that isn't Saban, or the writers need to change their focus.
This.

I don't dislike PR so much as I wish it were a better show. The typical response to this is to say "it's a kids show," but that's the exact reason why I want it to be better. Because I don't think being targeted at children is an excuse not to be a quality product. Kids deserve quality entertainment just as much as adults do. PR doesn't have to be high art, but I'd appreciate if it could try to up it's game. Even if it was just back to the quality of the Disney seasons (which weren't really bad outside of Operation Overdrive and Jungle Fury). Going back to the days of bland goody goody protagonists and lame humor isn't cutting it in these days when there are other places that are putting out quality entertainment for children. I mean, you have kids watching shit like Korra, Young Justice, and Adventure Time (all shows in possession of their own flaws, but still wonderfully put together) and here comes PR looking like it hopped right out of the early 90's. Come on Saban.

BatDan

This.

I don't dislike PR so much as I wish it were a better show. The typical response to this is to say "it's a kids show," but that's the exact reason why I want it to be better. Because I don't think being targeted at children is an excuse not to be a quality product. Kids deserve quality entertainment just as much as adults do. PR doesn't have to be high art, but I'd appreciate if it could try to up it's game. Even if it was just back to the quality of the Disney seasons (which weren't really bad outside of Operation Overdrive and Jungle Fury). Going back to the days of bland goody goody protagonists and lame humor isn't cutting it in these days when there are other places that are putting out quality entertainment for children. I mean, you have kids watching shit like Korra, Young Justice, and Adventure Time (all shows in possession of their own flaws, but still wonderfully put together) and here comes PR looking like it hopped right out of the early 90's. Come on Saban.

Exactly this.
Just because it's for kids, doesn't mean you don't have to try.

Yes, there are terrible kids shows today. Johnny Test, any cartoon that tries to capture the randomness of Adventure Time without any of the heart (like that Breadwinners show on Nickelodeon), modern Spongebob (dear lord has this gone to shit), but there's still plenty of good content, like the new TMNT, Adventure TIme, Gravity Falls, Legend of Korra, and so much more.

We just want the writers and producers to try and show some effort. Not half-ass it and expect people to like it. Especially for a franchise that's over 20 years old now.

Besides, there were plenty of terrible shows in the 90s too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programs_broadcast_by_Fox_Kids Look at how much crap was on Fox Kids.

Is Sentai that important to your life that you can't have anybody touching it whatsoever?

Is Power Rangers that important to your life that you can't have anybody say anything negative about it whatsoever without you going on "leave PR alone!" rants?

One (1) person said they almost wish it didn't exist because they are underwhelmed with the product. Most of the time when we complain about Power Rangers in TokuGAF it's because it can be, and has been, a better show but the current production philosophy lands it directly in middling territory without any aspirations to be better. Not because HOW DARE these filthy gaijin desecrate ~glorious Nippon's~ cultural landmark Super Sentai. Hell, I'd be keen to see new Masked Rider adaptations too if the people behind it put the kind of love and care into it that stuff like Ninja Storm got.

This isn't the first time you've brought this kind of attitude into the threads and I think you need to stop getting your Power Panties in a twist every time someone says they don't like something about Power Rangers.

For the Showa vs. Heisei movie. I wonder if Gaim would've just used his own arms, while Fifteen used Ichigo Arms, if Heisei had won the vote.

Top Bottom