• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
So does Toq end with the other four being Right's imaginary friends? That's what I figured would be the ending, along with the kid thing.

Tiu Neo

So does Toq end with the other four being Right's imaginary friends? That's what I figured would be the ending, along with the kid thing.

Or Tokkati. The weird kid with no friends that created some friends for himself. The same power that created RyoKnight. Even Right was him imagining how he really wanted to be. He even created a crush for himself. Z is the bully he stalked/wanted to impress, but never could.

Ok, that wouldn't be the ending, but it would be awesome.

WillyFive

SURPRISE! TokuGAF 2015 |OT| Ninjas, Dinosaurs, and Automobiles

Speaking of which, who would like to do the thread when the time comes in February?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Maybe it's just me but today's themes between KR and Sentai don't seem to "mesh" well to form a good thread title

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Happy New Year TokuGAF

Maybe this will be the year where Crunchyroll (or another site) will Simulcast Toku. But I doubt it.

shaowebb

TokuGaf 2015: Be thankful its a soft G sound

In honor of Ninninger sounding closer to the word "Ginger" than "Trigger". Some of the scenes with them saying Ninninger in with japanese inflection would likely sound like "other things" had they used a hard G sound.

WillyFive

TokuGaf 2015: Be thankful its a soft G sound

In honor of Ninninger sounding closer to the word "Ginger" than "Trigger". Some of the scenes with them saying Ninninger in with japanese inflection would likely sound like "other things" had they used a hard G sound.

Brings back memories of when I first heard Zyuranger out-loud.

BatDan

ToQger 42

Partly a crummy-ass clip show, but then we got hit in the feels with Mio's story about her dad. I guess they had to fit the clip show in somewhere, there's 5 episodes left.

Drive 12

Mach isn't just a ham, he's the whole god damn pig. I mean, for a series that's already hammy, he's over-the-top. This is going to be fun!

shaowebb

Drive 12

Mach isn't just a ham, he's the whole god damn pig. I mean, for a series that's already hammy, he's over-the-top. This is going to be fun!

THIS. Holy shit...they took that whole Evil Kenevil showboat thing and just spun it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over the top. American rider wears Red White and Blue and is the most ridiculous ham ever. I love how the show doesn't sell him as cool with his intros like with normal Riders doin flips or something. You getta watch this clown creep in all excited to try and make an entrance in a second or two and do really shitty flips and it all looks super forced and attention whorey as opposed to normal Rider showiness.

This guy is gonna be a legend.

ahdurian

THIS. Holy shit...they took that whole Evil Kenevil showboat thing and just spun it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over the top. American rider wears Red White and Blue and is the most ridiculous ham ever. I love how the show doesn't sell him as cool with his intros like with normal Riders doin flips or something. You getta watch this clown creep in all excited to try and make an entrance in a second or two and do really shitty flips and it all looks super forced and attention whorey as opposed to normal Rider showiness.

This guy is gonna be a legend.

even more so, I love the voice of his driver

also..."LET'S......HENSHIN"

jwk94

So the Dragon Dagger is huge! Loving both items. Should have the Legacy Morpher courtesy of a fellow TokuGaffer here this weekend.

B6YN5NcCYAA3Qcn.jpg:large

BatDan

I don't understand why PR fans get annoyed when people bring up the Sentai.
I don't mean in a "Power Rangers sucks, watch the original Sentai" way.
But whenever a fan questions something that doesn't make sense, but has an actual explanation from the original material, the fan just shuts them out and claims they don't want to hear it.

Would you rather live in ignorance than accept that the writers didn't do a good job?

jwk94

I don't understand why PR fans get annoyed when people bring up the Sentai.
I don't mean in a "Power Rangers sucks, watch the original Sentai" way.
But whenever a fan questions something that doesn't make sense, but has an actual explanation from the original material, the fan just shuts them out and claims they don't want to hear it.

Would you rather live in ignorance than accept that the writers didn't do a good job?
Probably because they're separate things. You shouldn't have to use the source material to explain why things are the way they are in the PR.

Probably because they're separate things. You shouldn't have to use the source material to explain why things are the way they are in the PR.

You shouldn't have to, but that extra context can still help you better understand production decisions and issues when it comes to Power Rangers.

They're separate, but they're still intrinsically linked. Things in Power Rangers can always be linked back to "this is how the production team decided to work with/around the existing material."

jwk94

You shouldn't have to, but that extra context can still help you better understand production decisions and issues when it comes to Power Rangers.

They're separate, but they're still intrinsically linked. Things in Power Rangers can always be linked back to "this is how the production team decided to work with/around the existing material."

Wait, what exactly are we talking about here? Are you referring to production stuff like why certain monsters were used? Or are you referring to story elements?

Also, that girl in your avatar looks familiar. Is she a singer?

WillyFive

Power Rangers never was and never will be "it's own show" until Bandai of America decides to make an entirely new branch of the franchise exclusively for the West.

I mean 100% original footage, 100% original themes, separate from what Sentai is doing.

Bandai of America does want this, just look at Samurai:

New-ranger-group.png

They made their own thing, only vaguely similar to Shinkenger. Japanese and American toy markets being so different make this a really compelling idea for them; no need to worry about how to adapt a Japanese show when one can simply make their own theme for the year.

Don't want to adapt spies? Make a Power Rangers team based on wild west cowboys. Don't want to adapt trains? Make a Power Rangers team based on medieval knights. Whatever!

That way it's appropriate to look at Power Rangers as it's own thing, and not as a Frankenstein 'beauty-job' of material meant for a different audience.

But of course, new action footage and new Zord footage costs money; so unless Bandai gets another company to make their shows for them, it ain't happening.

Power Rangers never was and never will be "it's own show" until Bandai of America decides to make an entirely new branch of the franchise exclusively for the West.

I mean 100% original footage, 100% original themes, separate from what Sentai is doing.

Bandai of America does want this, just look at Samurai:

New-ranger-group.png

They made their own thing, only vaguely similar to Shinkenger. Japanese and American toy markets being so different make this a really compelling idea for them; no need to worry about how to adapt a Japanese show when one can simply make their own theme for the year.

Don't want to adapt spies? Make a Power Rangers team based on wild west cowboys. Don't want to adapt trains? Make a Power Rangers team based on medieval knights. Whatever!

That way it's appropriate to look at Power Rangers as it's own thing, and not as a Frankenstein 'beauty-job' of material meant for a different audience.

But of course, new action footage and new Zord footage costs money; so unless Bandai gets another company to make their shows for them, it ain't happening.

Of course, Samurai had the problem where they pulled some scripts straight from Shinkenger, even if the characters weren't really the same.

BatDan

Well, it plays out like this

"This plot point doesn't make sense!"
"You see, in the Sentai, that was..."
"SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP! I don't want to hear it!"

I got this impression after watching this video (1:26 in)

He does reviews of episodes, and often brings up things that don't make sense. Comments will point out how it's something from the Sentai. Granted, there's also a lot of "Sentai is better" assholes but there are people with good intentions trying to explain this all.

Wait, what exactly are we talking about here? Are you referring to production stuff like why certain monsters were used? Or are you referring to story elements?

I just mean generally. Both of those things you mentioned, and anything else. If Power Rangers ever leaves you wondering "why did they do this or that?" in a way that the show itself can't answer, a lot of the time it comes back to how they were dealing with the Sentai. Not always of course, but most of the time it doesn't hurt to at least consider those origins.

That's a big part of what put me off Linkara's Power Rangers series. He would be all "SHUT UP I DON'T CARE ABOUT SENTAI" and then ask "why did they do that?" questions that tied directly back to it in terms of the production and its adaptation from Sentai to PR.

Also, that girl in your avatar looks familiar. Is she a singer?

That's a photo of me for Real Pic January. Hi!

jwk94

I just mean generally. Both of those things you mentioned, and anything else. If Power Rangers ever leaves you wondering "why did they do this or that?" in a way that the show itself can't answer, a lot of the time it comes back to how they were dealing with the Sentai. Not always of course, but most of the time it doesn't hurt to at least consider those origins.

That's a big part of what put me off Linkara's Power Rangers series. He would be all "SHUT UP I DON'T CARE ABOUT SENTAI" and then ask "why did they do that?" questions that tied directly back to it in terms of the production and its adaptation from Sentai to PR.
Ah. Personally, I don't really like when people fill in plot details with "because the sentai did it". The two series are supposed to be separate and they should stay that way. If something doesn't make sense, then that's the writer's fault. They should have explained it better or at least to a point where this thing is acknowledged.

For example, the RPM zord's eyes. Having Dr K brush that away as whatever she said was both funny and informative. It squashed the "sentai" reasoning and further made the season stand out on its own.

Now for production stuff, sure, "sentai" will do just fine. That's out of the writer's hands (for the most part I guess) so I don't really care if people use that kind of reasoning here.

That's a photo of me for Real Pic January. Hi!
Hi! I could never do the real pic stuff. I would be paranoid of a friend seeing my post and going through my post history. There's a reason why i don't tell my friend's that I post on here.[

If something doesn't make sense, then that's the writer's fault. They should have explained it better or at least to a point where this thing is acknowledged.

Yeah, I don't really disagree on this point. If the writing is lacking it's completely on the writing staff and you shouldn't have to fill in holes from the Sentai to excuse that. I'm having a hard time thinking of examples that really show the kind of stuff that I'm talking about, but the first thing that comes to mind is the back-and-forth mess on Trent and the clone in Dino Thunder working around Abarekiller, but I guess that kinda falls back to patchy writing too.

Hi! I could never do the real pic stuff. I would be paranoid of a friend seeing my post and going through my post history. There's a reason why i don't tell my friend's that I post on here.[

Fair enough. It's not for everyone and I understand why people wouldn't want to participate, but I think it's fun to be able to put faces to posts for a while.

Top Bottom