• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I just mean generally. Both of those things you mentioned, and anything else. If Power Rangers ever leaves you wondering "why did they do this or that?" in a way that the show itself can't answer, a lot of the time it comes back to how they were dealing with the Sentai. Not always of course, but most of the time it doesn't hurt to at least consider those origins.

That's a big part of what put me off Linkara's Power Rangers series. He would be all "SHUT UP I DON'T CARE ABOUT SENTAI" and then ask "why did they do that?" questions that tied directly back to it in terms of the production and its adaptation from Sentai to PR.

Actually Linkara does acknowledge stuff about Sentai and how it affects production. He doesn't "care" about Sentai in a sense that HoPR is purely a PR-related subject from a PoV of a PR-only person, but does acknowledges stuff as to why something is as is.

Pluto

That's a big part of what put me off Linkara's Power Rangers series. He would be all "SHUT UP I DON'T CARE ABOUT SENTAI" and then ask "why did they do that?" questions that tied directly back to it in terms of the production and its adaptation from Sentai to PR.
What put me off was that they're awful reviews, Linkara usually does a way too long recap of the show and then throws his opinion in, there's very little in the way explaining why something doesn't work or new information, he's just regurgitating stuff the fandom has known and talked about for years.
Compare his reviews to the Plinkett Star Wars reviews for example, those take the prequel trilogy apart and pinpoint exactly why they're awful movies and what went wrong on a technical level. Linkara just screams "IT'S ANNOYING", "IT DOESN'T WOOORK" or "IT'S STUUUPID!", he's not even wrong but I expect more from a professional review.

Ah. Personally, I don't really like when people fill in plot details with "because the sentai did it". The two series are supposed to be separate and they should stay that way. If something doesn't make sense, then that's the writer's fault. They should have explained it better or at least to a point where this thing is acknowledged.
Yes, it is the writer's fault, it should have been explained but if it's not I think it's natural to look at sentai and bring that up as an explanation instead because as much as you want it, PR and Sentai are not separate, Power Rangers is not an original show, it's an adaptation that relies on japanese footage, scripts and tons of props, costumes etc. that are shipped over from Japan. PR is linked to sentai and that means sometimes "because sentai did it" really is the explanation.

For example, the RPM zord's eyes. Having Dr K brush that away as whatever she said was both funny and informative. It squashed the "sentai" reasoning and further made the season stand out on its own.
But if they hadn't added that line the answer to "Why do the zord's have eyes?" would have been "Because they were living beings in Go-Onger", you can't expect people to just pretend they don't know this and say "I guess the writer's didn't think about it, we'll never know ...", that's not going to happen and if it did it would be dishonest.
Even with Dr. K's explanation the real reason is still "Because it's in the sentai footage", there's no escaping sentai as long as it's the source of PR.

vareon

Ah. Personally, I don't really like when people fill in plot details with "because the sentai did it". The two series are supposed to be separate and they should stay that way. If something doesn't make sense, then that's the writer's fault. They should have explained it better or at least to a point where this thing is acknowledged.

For example, the RPM zord's eyes. Having Dr K brush that away as whatever she said was both funny and informative. It squashed the "sentai" reasoning and further made the season stand out on its own.

Now for production stuff, sure, "sentai" will do just fine. That's out of the writer's hands (for the most part I guess) so I don't really care if people use that kind of reasoning here.

Hi! I could never do the real pic stuff. I would be paranoid of a friend seeing my post and going through my post history. There's a reason why i don't tell my friend's that I post on here.[

It's too bad RPM's handwaving can't be done every season. It IS the season with the biggest discrepancy between source material and adaptation, though.

Boss Doggie

What put me off was that they're awful reviews, Linkara usually does a way too long recap of the show and then throws his opinion in, there's very little in the way explaining why something doesn't work or new information, he's just regurgitating stuff the fandom has known and talked about for years.
Compare his reviews to the Plinkett Star Wars reviews for example, those take the prequel trilogy apart and pinpoint exactly why they're awful movies and what went wrong on a technical level. Linkara just screams "IT'S ANNOYING", "IT DOESN'T WOOORK" or "IT'S STUUUPID!", he's not even wrong but I expect more from a professional review.

But if they hadn't added that line the answer to "Why do the zord's have eyes?" would have been "Because they were living beings in Go-Onger", you can't expect people to just pretend they don't know this and say "I guess the writer's didn't think about it, we'll never know ...", that's not going to happen and if it did it would be dishonest.
Even with Dr. K's explanation the real reason is still "Because it's in the sentai footage", there's no escaping sentai as long as it's the source of PR.

He has that problem in shows he wasn't too fond of, but thankfully mellowed out later on. His voice is a bit irritating though.

Anyway for RPM's case, a lot of those can be hinted on her childish side. Yeah the whole mecha is Sentai-limited, and they even pointed it out not just from that scene (see: how the fuck are you using whale DNA?). But thankfully original footage and her character made it seem like she does that as a way to release her childlike behavior since she doesn't have any good child life.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Power Rangers can't be "its own thing" till it is actually its own thing. Ignoring the Sentai version of the show is impossible because it literally is using parts from that show. If they were only using the suits and props then maybe there'd be a point to make.

Boss Doggie

But Voltron became its own thing yet has nothing original save for the script.

Then again no one cared about GoLion.

WillyFive

Comparing Plinkett and Linkara made me wish PR had something as good as Plinkett reviewing it. SpeedRacerFlubber's videos are close, but they are way too short and way too rare.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Comparing Plinkett and Linkara made me wish PR had something as good as Plinkett reviewing it. SpeedRacerFlubber's videos are close, but they are way too short and way too rare.

What we need are season reviews from someone that actually does care for the Sentai and wouldn't ask questions that can easily be answered by watching it. That way, the review can criticize the writers for not doing a good job writing around the footage.

Boss Doggie

What we need are season reviews from someone that actually does care for the Sentai and wouldn't ask questions that can easily be answered by watching it. That way, the review can criticize the writers for not doing a good job writing around the footage.

I think the problem is that the review might as well be "why didn't PR do what Sentai did".

WillyFive

This review of Megaforce will probably still be better than whatever Linkara comes up with for that season.

I think the problem is that the review might as well be "why didn't PR do what Sentai did".

I think PR is always a perfect opportunity to improve upon the Sentai in every way, including changing it when the Sentai does it poorly. Gaoranger was a bland and poor Sentai, but PR copied it for Wild Force, which led to Wild Force also being bland and poor. However, because sometimes PR also does do different stuff than happens to be worse than what the Sentai did, the argument never dies.

alvmew

This review of Megaforce will probably still be better than whatever Linkara comes up with for that season.

I think PR is always a perfect opportunity to improve upon the Sentai in every way, including changing it when the Sentai does it poorly. Gaoranger was a bland and poor Sentai, but PR copied it for Wild Force, which led to Wild Force also being bland and poor. However, because sometimes PR also does do different stuff than happens to be worse than what the Sentai did, the argument never dies.

I live for this video lol. All of SpeedRacerFlubber's stuff is fantastic.

WarRock

This whole HoPR thing is weird as hell to me. As someone who isn't from the US and had some contact with toku thanks to TV dubs, when I started lurking on forums about tokusatsu, watching recent stuff from O-T, etc and saw everybody freaking out every time this Linkara dude put out another video like he is the voice to be heard about PR/sentai I just couldn't understand wtf was happening.

And it keeps happening.

Why do you guys care? :V

Boss Doggie

Eh, that's not really addressing the problems and probing them.

I'd argue that any season with Chip/Judd Flynn in the writing, there's a good chance that it'd have some semblance of being unique.

"good chance" being the keyword here, be cautious on Dino Charge.

This whole HoPR thing is weird as hell to me. As someone who isn't from the US and had some contact with toku thanks to TV dubs, when I started lurking on forums about tokusatsu, watching recent stuff from O-T, etc and saw everybody freaking out every time this Linkara dude put out another video like he is the voice to be heard about PR/sentai I just couldn't understand wtf was happening.

And it keeps happening.

Why do you guys care? :V
No idea, he's nothing special, offers no interesting information, he isn't especially funny or insightful but half of the fandom is still getting excited about him repeating stuff they already know.

SpeedRacerFlubber's stuff is good, I also like the "Gosei and the Robot" series by The ScreamMan

Honestly I never understood why people overhype Linkara. Even Linkara himself says it's just his opinion. Blame the people, not Linkara for that. But I guess people need to blame something.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I've pondered doing this for seasons I know well and enjoy: Ninja Storm/Hurricanger, Deka/SPD, Shinkenger/Samurai. I could also see doing it for Dino Charge/Kyoryuger.

I'd watch that (or read it, whatever you prefer to do)

jwk94

So JDF is going to Indiana Comic Con. I want to go so I can meet him but i'm having trouble justifying paying $30 for the sole purpose of meeting one ranger. I feel like this whole thing is a mess. You can't even see all the guests or exhibitors on the Indiana Comic Con page. I had to google just to see if any ranger was going. I can't even find out which game developers will be there.

ahdurian

So the Dragon Dagger is huge! Loving both items. Should have the Legacy Morpher courtesy of a fellow TokuGaffer here this weekend.

can't wait to get Titanus

1907398_10152617533556870_139374547921171876_n_zpseed3ab8e.jpg

javadoze

Oh snap, I forgot...

There's no Drive or ToQger this week..

What will I do now!?!

krwz003.jpg

I died in despair of never knowing Amazing Circus's deep backstory.

jwk94

Does anyone know of two clear pegs/stands I can use to stand the dagger (and eventually Saba) up properly in a horizontal position? Books aren't going to cut it when people are slamming doors. Here's my temporary setup:

ahdurian

That looks perfect although a bit expensive. Is there something cheaper?

not sure. could try looking at some local furniture stores or pawn shops or something?
I'm not planning to get a stand for mine until I have room for a glass case for all my figures and stuff

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Hey everybody, back from the dead.

After losing my media hard drive (and all my Tokusatsu), I became a little behind on both current series, so I stopped hanging around the thread (it's hard to avoid spoilers as it is). Finally managed to catch up and, somehow, it appears that ToQger decided to make 3 episodes worth a damn after the episode 40 mark or something.

Weird.

It's still a shame that such good monster design is waste on a mediocre series.

Anyway, i'm happy to be back and let's hope ToQger has a strong finish (and hell, let's hope for Dino Charge to not be a total mess as well!)

Hopefully, I'll get back on making some gifs.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
That's rough, were you able to get everything back? Thankfully toku isn't that hard to find online.

Dual Audio Brazilian Portuguese/Japanese good quality releases of 80's tokusatsu? Yeah, those are hard to find. :D (more like hard to acquire than hard to find - one of them took 3 weeks to download :S)

I managed to get those back safely, though. All the anime is gone (and I don't really care enough to search for it again, but they were also dual audio with Brazilian Portuguese, sometimes with triple audio - some series were re-dubbed in the 00s), but it's probably out there as well. I'll get to them eventually.

Tiu Neo

Dual Audio Brazilian Portuguese/Japanese good quality releases of 80's tokusatsu? Yeah, those are hard to find. :D (more like hard to acquire than hard to find - one of them took 3 weeks to download :S)

I managed to get those back safely, though. All the anime is gone (and I don't really care enough to search for it again, but they were also dual audio with Brazilian Portuguese, sometimes with triple audio - some series were re-dubbed in the 00s), but it's probably out there as well. I'll get to them eventually.

I ended up buying the Changeman and Flashman DVDs, so I could watch them any time I wanted. No luck with Juspion and Jiraya, both were gone out of print when I got the money :(

Wish they released Jiban, Google V, Kamen Rider Black and Maskman too...

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I ended up buying the Changeman and Flashman DVDs, so I could watch them any time I wanted. No luck with Juspion and Jiraya, both were gone out of print when I got the money :(

Wish they released Jiban, Google V, Kamen Rider Black and Maskman too...

They released Jiban DVDs, I have it along with Juspion, Changeman and Flashman - I just rather click on files than open cabinets, open cases, insert dvds in other devices, seek the episodes... (I would take a picture, but opening said cabinet is already too much work)

I refused to buy Jiraiya - They used VHS sources of the TOEI Broadcasts for the DVDs and poorly cut/pasted part of the dubbed intros for each episode (to remove the "Versao Brasileira" line). They never got the original masters, like the Japanese DVD release did: http://www.jbox.com.br/2009/06/28/polemica-dvds-de-jiraiya-com-imagem-do-toei-channel/

Tiu Neo

They released Jiban DVDs, I have it along with Juspion, Changeman and Flashman - I just rather click on files than open cabinets, open cases, insert dvds in other devices, seek the episodes... (I would take a picture, but opening said cabinet is already too much work)

I refused to buy Jiraiya - They used VHS sources of the TOEI Broadcasts for the DVDs and poorly cut/pasted part of the dubbed intros for each episode (to remove the "Versao Brasileira" line). They never got the original masters, like the Japanese DVD release did: http://www.jbox.com.br/2009/06/28/polemica-dvds-de-jiraiya-com-imagem-do-toei-channel/

Well, good to know. I'll guess I'll get Jiban then, and wait for Goggle V and Maskman. Oh, and Spielvan! I loved it when I was a kid.

Lion Maru would be cool, but pretty much impossible, heh.

jwk94

Got my Legacy Power Morpher. Props to isny for shipping it to me!

Pros:
- It includes all five power coins
- It's big?

Cons:
- The T-Rex power coin is defective. It spins in the Power Morpher and doesn't fit in the Green Power Morpher. None of the other coins have this problem.
- The chrome is ugly
- There are chrome bubbles on the morpher

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I've been watching Power Rangers SPD on and off and it's still quite interesting how they make new storylines/different enough from the original material.

For instance, they pretty much made a copy of the "hey we need to do a detail on this doctor" episode, to the point where they even stood on an apartment on the other side of a building, but they included new twists (like that hobo-alien making an aparison).

They also don't use some tropes, like the zords don't have to show up in EVERY SINGLE episode. I didn't even remember Bam using D-Sword Vega for an episode, and the latest episode I saw, Samurai, had the Red Ranger using it against a monster.

I told this before, but the acting is also not terrible. I don't know, these Disney years series don't seem so bad to me.

Also, Z's actress posts some... interesting pictures on her instagram, as she's a burlesque dancer nowadays.

ahdurian

Got my Legacy Power Morpher. Props to isny for shipping it to me!

Pros:
- It includes all five power coins
- It's big?

Cons:
- The T-Rex power coin is defective. It spins in the Power Morpher and doesn't fit in the Green Power Morpher. None of the other coins have this problem.
- The chrome is ugly
- There are chrome bubbles on the morpher

might just be a bad one? i've never had those issues with mine
though I did wear mine outside for Halloween as part of my costume, and the morpher kept coming loose from the belt stand

Boss Doggie

Are there really any Doggie Kruger figures? All I see are Dekamaster stuff. image search says one exist, but I can't find it D:

Top Bottom