• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Since we're community now, does that mean we're not gonna start a 2015 thread for Drive/Ninninger?

WillyFive

Since we're community now, does that mean we're not gonna start a 2015 thread for Drive/Ninninger?

The new TokuGAF thread always comes out the weekend the new Sentai and Power Rangers show premieres (which lately has been the same weekend, or literally the same day due to time zones).

Who wants to make one when the time comes? And of course, since we're bigger now so we can also support actual OT's for shows now (like Birdie's Drive OT), so we could maybe post a Ninninger OT and a Dino Charge OT too.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm not that good at making OTs. I don't know Photoshop for pictures...

I am in favor of seeing Nininger and Dino Charge OTs

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm glad the Drive Thread has been fairly active. :)

Actually I don't post as much here because I try to keep discussion of it there. I don't know if Nininger or Power Rangers will be as successful since it has more cultural baggage working against it than Kamen Rider does to the average GAFFER.

Anyway, uh, title suggestion...

TokuGAF 2015: Go Ninja, Go Ninja, Go

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I think the next thread should be a Sentai/Power Rangers thread instead of a Tokusatsu thread, since we have a Kamen Rider thread now.

3 threads (power rangers, sentai and kamen rider) might be a little much, and we're somewhat civilized enough to have sentai and power rangers live together.

However, considering we never get to #2 or #3 threads, actually, I don't think we needed to split the threads at all, but hey... :D

Pluto

However, considering we never get to #2 or #3 threads, actually, I don't think we needed to split the threads at all, but hey... :D
This, it would actually make more sense to get rid of the Drive thread and fold the Kamen Rider discussion back into this one, splitting an already small community into even smaller ones isn't a good idea imo.

javadoze

This, it would actually make more sense to get rid of the Drive thread and fold the Kamen Rider discussion back into this one, splitting an already small community into even smaller ones isn't a good idea imo.

Yeah. It feels like splitting up the Drive talk into its own thread split the discussion up a bit.

WarRock

Maybe ask in the Drive thread? After all, if that thread helped increase numbers for the bigger toku thread, why not have a show dedicated one (be it sentai or rider) every time?

WillyFive

New threads may split discussion, but it brings exposure and allows Gaffers who are interested in shows like these but didn't realize that there was a community for them here to find it. It also brings people who are not into these shows to be introduced; especially since Dino Charge is possibly prime material to bring new people in (new dino PR show with footage from Kyoryuger and slight chance it may actually be decent).

I'd rather have a bunch of failed startups and a lone reliable thread instead of simply the lone reliable thread by itself.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
New threads may split discussion, but it brings exposure and allows Gaffers who are interested in shows like these but didn't realize that there was a community for them here to find it. It also brings people who are not into these shows to be introduced; especially since Dino Charge is possibly prime material to bring new people in (new dino PR show with footage from Kyoryuger and slight chance it may actually be decent).

I'd rather have a bunch of failed startups and a lone reliable thread instead of simply the lone reliable thread by itself.

But has anyone who has posted in the drive thread come to this one?

LostAnkh

Yeah, I've noticed some Toku hauls or gaffers that have Toku stuff in their pics.

vareon

And we appreciate you for that! It's just I sometimes forgot to post in the Drive thread out of habit. I say make TokuGAF 2015 + individual threads, if they die we always have TokuGAF.

That's if anyone wants to make Dino Charge or Ninninger thread.

javadoze

True. Maybe Dino Charge will be the better show to launch a separate OT with. Since Power Rangers just so happens to be people's gateway into toku, we can link back to tokuGAF in the OP.

The weirdness of having an OT for KR Drive is simply because there isn't one for Sentai as well. Also, some people from the main tokuGAF thread might also not be aware that the seperate OT exists, so there's that.

Or maybe we should create an OT for Ninninger when that comes and see how that works out?

jwk94

And we appreciate you for that! It's just I sometimes forgot to post in the Drive thread out of habit. I say make TokuGAF 2015 + individual threads, if they die we always have TokuGAF.

That's if anyone wants to make Dino Charge or Ninninger thread.
Hand me the keys. I'll do it. It won't be fancy like your usual OT's (I can't design for crap) but I would be more than happy to make the Dino Charge OT.

Pluto

New threads may split discussion, but it brings exposure and allows Gaffers who are interested in shows like these but didn't realize that there was a community for them here to find it.
In that case maybe the thread titles should be changed? Gaffers who are interested in shows like these might not know what "Kamen Rider" or "Sentai" is, unlike Power Rangers those two don't have much name recognition outside of the existing fandom.

Look a this thread's current title, it's good but it's not actually obvious what it's about for outsiders. Maybe something like "TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes" would be better? Zero creativity in that one but it would give people an idea what it's about.

Shuriken Sentai Ninninger: throw "japanese Power Rangers" into the thread title, it will give some sentai fans a heart attack but will also give new fans a point of reference because the japanese title is really just a bunch of words, most people will scroll past it and click on something else.

Kamen Rider Drive: kinda like Power Rangers with less people.

Like it or not Power Rangers is the one Toku that the average Gaffer will recognize by name, so Toku threads should take advantage of that. We can argue all day long that PR is an adaptation and that the japanese shows are better or that Kamen Rider is totally not sentai and came first anyway but in the end they're all about heroes who transform and fight rubber monsters, the words "Power Rangers" convey that immediately.

I worked hard on the Drive thread. :(
No one said it's not a good thread, it is! I still question if it's necessary though. Unless it actually brings in new people a separate thread should be folded back imo, otherwise it's hurting the community. Many people just watch one toku, there will be less interaction if it's in different threads.

WillyFive

I see where you're coming from Pluto, and it is very true; but for me personally I think the genre suffers from being associated with Power Rangers.

Parallax

I see where you're coming from Pluto, and it is very true; but for me personally I think the genre suffers from being associated with Power Rangers.

thats unavoidable though. the two are connected. and it really doesnt help that most people cant take the nostalgia blinders off regarding mighty morphin

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
thats unavoidable though. the two are connected. and it really doesnt help that most people cant take the nostalgia blinders off regarding mighty morphin

I think those guys are worse than Pokemon GENWUN and Transformers GEEWUN assholes.
Though now there's a new generation of assholes that seem obsessed with Dino Thunder, constantly calling Dino Charge a "Dino Thunder rip-off".

Pluto

Japanese Power Rangers? Cmon man.
See, usually I'd agree with you, I've ranted several times to my friends that I'm not a fan of calling it "japanese Power Rangers", that Super Sentai is the original source and predates Power Rangers etc., you've all heard and probably said it before.

But in this case the point is to get new fans on board and all we realistically have to achieve that is the thread title because that's the only thing people see before they decide to enter a thread or not, so we should maybe just get over it and call it "japanese Power Rangers" because Power Rangers means something to a lot of people. People who might like toku will maybe never enter a toku thread because the terminology means nothing to them.

The actual thread can go into detail and explain everything, the thread title doesn't have to be 100% accurate, even for a show like Kamen Rider japanese Power Rangers is still a pretty good description of you want to explain what it is in very few words.

vareon

Hahah, reminded me when me & me friends cosplay various Kamen Rider and Sentai heroes and all we got called from parents is Power Rangers.

WarRock

Shaider is AMAZEBALLS. Great out of suit fights and the final action scene is going to be enjoyable for you, shaowebb.

Delicious Engrish
6UkVws6.jpg

POSING SO MUCH POSING

drizzle

Axel Hertz
See, usually I'd agree with you, I've ranted several times to my friends that I'm not a fan of calling it "japanese Power Rangers", that Super Sentai is the original source and predates Power Rangers etc., you've all heard and probably said it before.

But in this case the point is to get new fans on board and all we realistically have to achieve that is the thread title because that's the only thing people see before they decide to enter a thread or not, so we should maybe just get over it and call it "japanese Power Rangers" because Power Rangers means something to a lot of people. People who might like toku will maybe never enter a toku thread because the terminology means nothing to them.

The actual thread can go into detail and explain everything, the thread title doesn't have to be 100% accurate, even for a show like Kamen Rider japanese Power Rangers is still a pretty good description of you want to explain what it is in very few words.

You have a good argument, but I don't agree with it in many levels.

But I also don't care to discuss it, because who the fuck am I.

Shaider is AMAZEBALLS. Great out of suit fights and the final action scene is going to be enjoyable for you, shaowebb.

Delicious Engrish

POSING SO MUCH POSING

Shaider did not age well though.

I'd be down with a new Space Sheriff show, perhaps with guest appearances by this crew. The Esteban/Gavan Bootleg suit shows they're design work is still solid.

WillyFive

Metal Heroes should have been rebooted with a 4th Space Sherrif and a big Decade/Gokaiger-style crossover with all the old Metal Heroes teaming up/fighting instead of this New Gavan nonsense. Toei dropped the ball for their third pillar.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
One massive improvement in Battride War 2: Having Hard difficulty unlocked from the start. Now I can play through the story without it being brain-dead easy.

WillyFive

Shaider Next Generation

So female Space Sherrifs don't get combat armor? Lame. Movie was fun, but not great; Sharivan had a better movie for sure. This movie was more of a showcase for Sakamoto action and his girls than anything else, but it did have some fun parts, like when
Shaider finished the monster before the laser blade music finished, so he just stood around while explosions raged behind him until the music stopped.

Parallax

I think those guys are worse than Pokemon GENWUN and Transformers GEEWUN assholes.
Though now there's a new generation of assholes that seem obsessed with Dino Thunder, constantly calling Dino Charge a "Dino Thunder rip-off".

Heh. Seriously?

WarRock

Shaider Next Generation

So female Space Sherrifs don't get combat armor? Lame. Movie was fun, but not great; Sharivan had a better movie for sure. This movie was more of a showcase for Sakamoto action and his girls than anything else, but it did have some fun parts, like when
Shaider finished the monster before the laser blade music finished, so he just stood around while explosions raged behind him until the music stopped.
Yep, hahah. But I did enjoy Shaider's character, his straight relationship with Tammy (compared to Sharivan and Shishi)... and Geki is not unbearable in this movie!

For me? hmmmmm...Someone a grappler?
Grappling combo including shouting the moves' names.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Shaider did not age well though.

I'd be down with a new Space Sheriff show, perhaps with guest appearances by this crew. The Esteban/Gavan Bootleg suit shows they're design work is still solid.

Now that I look at it, yeah Shaider's design doesn't really lend well to modern aesthetics.

Also some shots in the movie show shaider's weird suit material.

Top Bottom