• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

vareon

Now that I look at it, yeah Shaider's design doesn't really lend well to modern aesthetics.

Also some shots in the movie show shaider's weird suit material.

I find Metal Heroes outside the Sheriffs hold up really well. Winspector(s) and Jiban are really cool.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Saw those panels with Japanese Spider-Man

He gets one-shotted by the villain, while he's in the robot... laaaame

drizzle

Axel Hertz
why most tokusatsu news are discussed as if everybody already saw them, because everybody goes to the same websites to look at them?

I have no idea what you people are talking about when talking about Spiderman just now.

In my opinion, that's a more important thing that keeps new users from this thread. Splitting the thread into 3 different threads won't help that.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
IBGFnXw.gif

WarRock

why most tokusatsu news are discussed as if everybody already saw them, because everybody goes to the same websites to look at them?

I have no idea what you people are talking about when talking about Spiderman just now.

In my opinion, that's a more important thing that keeps new users from this thread. Splitting the thread into 3 different threads won't help that.
It's the current Spiderman crossover event Marvel has been doing in the comics. Every Spiderman ever (including the tokusatsu one) is being targetd by interdimensional hunters, so the Spiders start to gather and make a last stand.

Besides Supaidaman, there is also a new, mechsuit (and story filled with anime tropes and aesthetics) powered Spiderman called Sp//der.

But you touch an interesting point. I don't think there is more than 3 or 4 toku focused sites to read english news from. Henshin Justice Unlimited, Tokusatsu Network, JEfusion (lol) and some more toy/comic focused ones, I guess? Ninninger and Drive also got the tumblrs managed by the same guy (kamenriderdrive and shurikensentai).

WillyFive

A lot of English news also come from 4chan (for Toku) and places like Rangerboard/Rangercrew (for PR stuff). But I have to admit, I just look at the stuff posted in this thread, I don't look to other sites anymore.

vareon

My reasoning (and mine only, this doesn't apply to others) is that I never have any intention to inform.

BatDan

For years, fans speculated the reason the Dairanger suits weren't used for MMPR Season 2. Either "the footage was too violent" or "the Zyuranger suits were too iconic at this point".

According to Jeff Pruitt in the comments of this video, the answer was branding

Remember "Zyu2" is just a name a fan came up with when he heard about the footage. We never had any such name. It was all part of the MMPR package. It wasn't anything separate from MMPR. It's part of the Saban/Toei deal to make a show for Western kids as cheaply as possible and sell as many toys and products as possible.

Toei's job was to provide monsters and zords for the show that could be made into toys and products. They had an assembly line type set-up in Japan for this. It was ultra cheap compared to Hollywood. Using this kept the costs way down and made the show very profitable. It allowed us to shoot multiple shows per week. No one else could do that.

The reason for extra Zyu footage is because there were already product deals and toys in place using those suits as characters. We couldn't suddenly change over to all Dairanger. That would make those toys sit on the shelf while parents waited for the "new & current" versions.

When I came on board I began shooting longer fights with the actors and adding more and more action to the Zyu footage. Eventually I just shot everything and Toei began sending Dairanger monster footage.

I got all of the previous monster suits to play with. It worked well. During that time I shot 60% of every episode made (according to our editor) and MMPR generated 1 billion dollars in only 12 months. This at a time when the entire film industry made 5 billion. We had a formula down by this time. Others tried to imitate Saban's success, but failed. They discovered that there was a lot more to it than simply buying some Japanese footage.

In the 'behind-the-scenes of Sentai' that I posted you can see White Ranger was only 4 feet tall. He was a jumpy little kid in Dairanger. So we only got to use close-ups and him jumping onto his Zord from Dai (which is the shot of him riding on top of the bus). All of the White Ranger fights and acting footage I just shot myself.

I recall how funny it was to some of the Japanese stuntmen when I had the tallest guy in a White Ranger suit talking to a Zyu Ranger. It was like the Twilight Zone to them. Sort of like when Stan Lee made a deal with Toei for them to use the SPIDERMAN character. I watched the Japanese version of Spiderman and went, "Whoa... what the heck is this? Is that supposed to be Peter Parker?" LOL

All of the questions I've been getting about the show since my first Zyu2 upload I'll try to answer when I can. You guys have really brought back a lot of memories for me. I'm very proud of the work done on the show both in Japan and the USA. I think it turned out pretty good. ;) Thanks so much to all of you for watching and making the series a hit.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
jPnuSG7tU3g6V.png

The best part of this movie was
the commissioner trying to kill himself
and the worst part was
the rest of the movie.

Shaider wasn't as good as Sharivan, but at least it wasn't as long and boring as Gavan.

6y0grrU.jpg

Space Sheriff should just be a series of Iwanaga photobooks going forward.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
2 episodes into Megaranger and I can't tell which of the two girls are Pink and Yellow and which of the two guys not wearing red are Blue and Black.

BatDan

2 episodes into Megaranger and I can't tell which of the two girls are Pink and Yellow and which of the two guys not wearing red are Blue and Black.

Yellow has straight hair, Pink has pigtails. That one's easy.
Blue and Black are a bit more difficult to discern and will require a few episodes.

And people wonder why Sentai/PR characters are always color-coded in their civilian clothes.

NeonZ

Watched shaider movie. Did the old shows have completely random fanservice moments at the most random times too?

Shaider is kind of infamous for upskirt shots. Especially because it had an action girl usually wearing a short skirt, and Toei hadn't yet started giving them shorts under those dresses. I haven't watched the new movie yet though, so I don't know what kind of fanservice you're talking about.

WillyFive

Shaider is kind of infamous for upskirt shots. Especially because it had an action girl usually wearing a short skirt, and Toei hadn't yet started giving them shorts under those dresses. I haven't watched the new movie yet though, so I don't know what kind of fanservice you're talking about.

Huh, I just assumed the movie had that because Sakamoto was directing...

Corgi

Banned

legs shot posted above, and girl post shower crossing her legs eating... a sausage.

sakamoto is fanservice? don't remember much in his other stuff.

BatDan

legs shot posted above, and girl post shower crossing her legs eating... a sausage.

sakamoto is fanservice? don't remember much in his other stuff.

Kyoryuger had a lot of lingering shots of Amy's legs. It's not as blatant as the above picture, but apparently it was enough to skeev people out

Corgi

Banned
Kyoryuger had a lot of lingering shots of Amy's legs. It's not as blatant as the above picture, but apparently it was enough to skeev people out

think there was a maid outfit too.

It's not Garo, which had that amazing fight against a butt naked girl in season 3. Must have been a bit awkward directing that lol

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Both movies were really good I thought. ToQger was what the series should have been and Gaim was a fun side story that actually added some details for the main series.

The ToQ movie is *alright*. It's kinda weird with the Safari motif, and I think the group depiction as being Animal-based (other than the fact that there was no reason for it) was good enough that made me wonder if the past Animal-based sentai (not Dinosaur) were any good, but it's still ToQger...

I really hope Soccer movie is coming sooner than later.

WillyFive

I think the group depiction as being Animal-based (other than the fact that there was no reason for it) was good enough that made me wonder if the past Animal-based sentai (not Dinosaur) were any good

Well, in my opinion:

Gekiranger: Awesome

Gaoranger: Poor

Gingaman: Ok

Liveman: First episode was awesome, terrible afterwards

Sun Vulcan: Very dated

Animal Go-Busters: Awesome

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Well, in my opinion:

Gekiranger: Awesome

Gaoranger: Poor

Gingaman: Ok

Liveman: First episode was awesome, terrible afterwards

Sun Vulcan: Very dated

Animal Go-Busters: Awesome

its odd how much i liked animal gobusters for just how ridiculous they were. and the dope ass green ranger
who will be missed

BatDan

Ninja Sentai Kakuranger (complete)

This season was a lot of fun.
Loved the characters. Jiraiya was a badass, Sasuke & Tsuruhime were fun to watch, and I guess Saizou and Seikai were alright.
Ninjaman stole the show (such is the art of being Kazuki Yao)
Really liked the designs of the Yokai. It's been years since I saw MMPR S3 so a lot of these were "new" to me. I definitely didn't remember Master Vile having silly old man glasses though.
Gashadokuro and Daimao were awesome villains. Evil with a touch of silliness to remind people this is still a kid's show.

Now I'm ready for Ninninger next month! ... Well, there's still Hurricanger, but that's not fully subbed.

How's the quality of the Gekiranger and Go-Onger scrubs?

Tiu Neo

I'm about halfway through Kakuranger and Hurricanger, both are awesome, but...

What the fuck are those clothes, Sasuke? Really, wtf.

shaowebb

Saw the last episode of Faiz.

Man...they weren't kidding with the dark ending thing were they. I don't even think they won.

Top Bottom