• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

So I'm watching Kabuto with my roommate and I just realized that TV Nihon misspelled Worm. It's actually spelled Warm.

Nah. It's romanized as "Wamu", but the official text calls it worm. Like this art design book for the series.

73799N.JPG

Romanization was the worse part of all fansubbing. Like when I subbed Gundam Seed? Fucking nightmare. I hear the raw, I believe "Lux Klein" makes sense as a name. "Lux" fits with the German last name and means "Light". Straightforward guess. 15 episodes in we get the official romanization: Lacus Clyne. Seriously, Japan?

vareon

Nah. It's romanized as "Wamu", but the official text calls it worm. Like this art design book for the series.

http://otaku.com/files/images/fullsize/73799N.JPG[IMG]

Romanization was the worse part of all fansubbing. Like when I subbed Gundam Seed? Fucking nightmare. I hear the raw, I believe "Lux Klein" makes sense as a name. "Lux" fits with the German last name and means "Light". Straightforward guess. 15 episodes in we get the official romanization: Lacus Clyne. Seriously, Japan?[/QUOTE]

Hahaha, Gundam SEED. Must be fun translating names like Ssigh, Mwu, Rau Le Creuset.

Worst thing about romanization is nothing is consistent. TaJaDol and LaTorarTar takes the worst offense.

isny

napkin dispenser
Romanization was the worse part of all fansubbing. Like when I subbed Gundam Seed? Fucking nightmare. I hear the raw, I believe "Lux Klein" makes sense as a name. "Lux" fits with the German last name and means "Light". Straightforward guess. 15 episodes in we get the official romanization: Lacus Clyne. Seriously, Japan?

Thanks for the dubbind. Twelve years too late, but thanks! =)

jwk94

So I'm thinking about purchasing a Kamen Rider belt from Amazon. What are the different kinds of belts? I've heard about candy ones and I see that Amazon has a "super best" belt? What is that?

wasn't aware of that! Thanks! Also, since you subbed for TV-Nihon at one point, I have a question. Why do they have those effects on their subs? Why not just release standard subtitles and be done with it?

I see that Amazon has a "super best" belt? What is that?

The Super Best line are reissues of the deluxe belts with a few extra trinkets thrown in. For example the Super Best Decadriver comes with some Final Form Ride cards that you used to have to get as pack ins with action figures.

wasn't aware of that! Thanks! Also, since you subbed for TV-Nihon at one point, I have a question. Why do they have those effects on their subs? Why not just release standard subtitles and be done with it?

Like I said, I prefer more subtle subs. I'm fine with using a different font for belt voices and whatnot, but I dislike the logos and animation. At this point, I think it's just inertia. They've done it for so long, that they see no reason to stop.

You want the Deluxe Belts (with the "DX" naming scheme), which are nearly adult size, though you'll have to mod the belt harness itself it you're an average sized adult. Super Best are the reissues of older DX belts, usually with more stuff. For the Double Driver, that means all the basic memories, unlike the original DX that came with only 3 or 4. For the DecaDriver that means all the Rider cards.

That's why there are no Super Best versions of the WizarDriver and the Sengoku Driver, they just came out.

If you have the extra money, you can also spring for the Complete Selection belts. These are meant for adults and collectors, so they have leather straps, show accurate paint schemes, and more.

I'd love to splurge for a Complete Selection, but I do own the DX Kabuto Zecter, and a few of the Gaia Memories.

WillyFive

Like I said, I prefer more subtle subs. I'm fine with using a different font for belt voices and whatnot, but I dislike the logos and animation. At this point, I think it's just inertia. They've done it for so long, that they see no reason to stop.

You want the Deluxe Belts (with the "DX" naming scheme), which are nearly adult size, though you'll have to mod the belt harness itself it you're an average sized adult. Super Best are the reissues of older DX belts, usually with more stuff. For the Double Driver, that means all the basic memories, unlike the original DX that came with only 3 or 4. For the DecaDriver that means all the Rider cards.

That's why there are no Super Best versions of the WizarDriver and the Sengoku Driver, they just came out.

If you have the extra money, you can also spring for the Complete Selection belts. These are meant for adults and collectors, so they have leather straps, show accurate paint schemes, and more.

I'd love to splurge for a Complete Selection, but I do own the DX Kabuto Zecter, and a few of the Gaia Memories.

Yeah, I love checking out the Premium Bandai store from time to time to see what they have on sale. I see Utchy's jacket, King's sweater, his dinosaur tooth necklace, the Team Gaim jacket, and even ToQ-Two's glasses (!!)

I even remember when they had all of Shotaro's Windscale clothes and accessories. They pretty much merchandise everything the characters wear.

jwk94

The Super Best line are reissues of the deluxe belts with a few extra trinkets thrown in. For example the Super Best Decadriver comes with some Final Form Ride cards that you used to have to get as pack ins with action figures.

So if I'm in the market for an older belt, Super Best is the way to go unless I have more money to spend on the Complete Selection version? I'd love a Complete Faiz belt, but that thing is incredibly expensive.

Yeah, I love checking out the Premium Bandai store from time to time to see what they have on sale. I see Utchy's jacket, King's sweater, his dinosaur tooth necklace, the Team Gaim jacket, and even ToQ-Two's glasses (!!)

I even remember when they had all of Shotaro's Windscale clothes and accessories. They pretty much merchandise everything the characters wear.
They still have the W merchandise on there. You just have to look for it.

super megaforce 3

seems like a standard direct translate from sentai, which really flipped noah's character but w/e.

Liked how ema just slept outside for no reason.

And as predicted direct transform to super mega because going to mega each time require original footage which requires not being cheap.

interesting to note that it seems like the sabers seem to have leather stitching on the guard in the PR footage while its smooth plastic for the jp ones.

clipping together footage also gave pink another sword lol

WillyFive

I love live shows:

ibhVqBMefxDKnE.gif

from this one

Super Megaforce 3

I tried watching the episode but Hulu sucks so I only got to the first commercial break

I had trouble with it too. Showed me like 5 ads back to back and then after they were finished the player never loaded up the rest of the episode. Had to refresh constantly to get it working.

Anyway, this was Jason Smith's (Jungle Fury Red) first episode as a writer. He'll be back again for episode 6.

Zynx

Gaim 20 - subs are out, and the episode is even better than 19. This might become my favorite Rider show ever, above Blade. Delivered on the teaser, as I expected.

The blogger that said it was a ruined city called it, partly at least - it doesn't seem like it's Zawame city just yet. It's also nice how more and more of the political machinations are being revealed. There's also an element of patronage - which Yggdrasil mover and shaker is supplying which "youngster" with stuff, and looking out for whom, along with the "who will Helheim choose" aspect still yet to be revealed.

And of course, Kouta still hasn't learned that he killed Inves-Yuuya.

LostAnkh

I started watching Power Rangers RPM 2 weeks ago, and all I have to say is that it is really good. I haven't truly enjoyed Power Rangers since Time Force, Dino Thunder was alright, but I'm glad I gave this show a chance.

I started watching Power Rangers RPM 2 weeks ago, and all I have to say is that it is really good. I haven't truly enjoyed Power Rangers since Time Force, Dino Thunder was alright, but I'm glad I gave this show a chance.

I find Power Rangers is at its best when it completely diverges from the source material to tell a concrete story. But if you're not going to do that, you might as well Samurai it and do the show 100% straight.

does jungle fury fall apart in the end? I haven't really read any positive impressions for it yet I seem to like it ok for the first few eps. AJ is about as good as a PR mentor as they come.

And what is gosei's role in super megaforce anyways? He gets like a handful of lines per eps just to deliver mcguffin of the week for some arbitrary reason. He doesn't even call out weapons attacks and forms anymore (yet oddly enough the super megaforce morpher does have his voice for stuff).

LostAnkh

Thoughts on Gaim 20:
Lots of much needed exposition, but it was to be expected. I am a bit disappointed to know that Gridon isn't developing as a character, even before or after the Christmas and Dance Events. I really did want him and Kurokage to stay as the Nutz Duo, as it would have at least develop both of them, even Hase for the little time he had. But overall, it was a good episode which outlined the goals of Yggdrasil.

Also, you gotta love those stupid interruptions, it seems like it's been a trend for the following weeks.

I find Power Rangers is at its best when it completely diverges from the source material to tell a concrete story. But if you're not going to do that, you might as well Samurai it and do the show 100% straight.
I agree, but when it comes to the full adaptation, it needs to add something new to the table and improve in some of the areas that the Sentai didn't. And some things don't even translate that well to Power Rangers, which is to be expected.

does jungle fury fall apart in the end? I haven't really read any positive impressions for it yet I seem to like it ok for the first few eps. AJ is about as good as a PR mentor as they come.

And what is gosei's role in super megaforce anyways? He gets like a handful of lines per eps just to deliver mcguffin of the week for some arbitrary reason. He doesn't even call out weapons attacks and forms anymore (yet oddly enough the super megaforce morpher does have his voice for stuff).
Yeah, not feeling the mentor vibe from Gosei at all.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Man, Gaim's pulling all stops, and it's just episode 20.

I hope it doesn't slow down later on.

Super Megaforce 03 - Noah is driven to new purpose after a monster makes a fool of him while he's trying to mack on Emma. Jake lets his inner Dogoier out with a victory jig after feeling the power of Jungle Fury Legendary Rangers. Barizorg has the comedy moment of the season with his "uh ohhh" after Noah beats the monster.

vareon

I agree, but when it comes to the full adaptation, it needs to add something new to the table and improve in some of the areas that the Sentai didn't. And some things don't even translate that well to Power Rangers, which is to be expected.

Is that really fair, though? Their target audience won't be familiar with Sentai that all the content are added value to them. While to the Sentai viewers, it looked just like Shinkengers with Western cast.

Agree with the last sentence, though, which is the whole point of adaptation. One really jarring for me is the first episode of Samurai, where Green bails out of training and plays in an arcade. Is there even an arcade there?

makes you wonder why they put so much effort redoing the legendary red sequence in the first eps, when blue just uses megaforce key and dairanger bit last eps.

I assume the writer or someone on the first eps cared a teeny bit more.

if i remember correctly, zordon was pretty much space liu bei, warring against rita eons ago but got stuck in a time warp or something in a tube.

He also plans ahead...

I remember calling out that bullshit as a kid when for some reason that in space space shuttle designed for some completely other reason by fake nasa, ended up being the head of the megazord lol.

And that bs that zordon left the megavoyager at jupiter as a contingency.

Jaeger

Watching ToQger, and enjoying it. Didn't think I'd like it at first (the outfits are a little on the safe and boring side) but I LOVE the vllians' costumes.

One of the best things ever Super Sentai started doing was adding them glowing eyes to their main villians. So Pimp. When did they start doing that? First time I noticed it was Shinkenger

I love how they just strated swapping powers on the fly. That is pretty cool!

Can anyone find English information about the supposed Kikaider remake?

http://www.cinematoday.jp/page/N0060701

N0060701_l.jpg

Woah woah, what!? :)

vareon

Some people say Takatora has death flags.

Let's see:
- None of the subordinates really trust him
- Has a younger brother to "succeed" him
- Well-intentioned, but put in the worst of places
- Explained what he knew to the hero in a somewhat sympathetic way

That's flag enough, but would kill him? The other energy riders had nothing to gain by killing him at the moment.

Slayven

Let's see:
- None of the subordinates really trust him
- Has a younger brother to "succeed" him
- Well-intentioned, but put in the worst of places
- Explained what he knew to the hero in a somewhat sympathetic way

That's flag enough, but would kill him? The other energy riders had nothing to gain by killing him at the moment.

Trust? None of those motherfuckers respect him. He should have put his wingtips to that Oddjob looking motherfucker the first time he mouthed off.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
And I was just starting to like him :/

I like him more than Kaito at least, but I agree, I prefer his base form.

vareon

Trust? None of those motherfuckers respect him. He should have put his wingtips to that Oddjob looking motherfucker the first time he mouthed off.

Ah yes, respect is the better word.

I'm still hoping he goes "fuck this shit" to Ryouma & co. and throw away the Genesis Driver, returning to being the original Zangetsu. Before probably die protecting Mitsuzane or something.

What's with Kaito? His "world needs no saving" speech (hilariously followed by a fit of giggles) sets him to be pretty antagonistic.

Slayven

Gaim needs to step up, too much shit happens around him and he is barely a factor. I mean the bad guys barely consider him something to keep an eye on.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Ah yes, respect is the better word.

I'm still hoping he goes "fuck this shit" to Ryouma & co. and throw away the Genesis Driver, returning to being the original Zangetsu. Before probably die protecting Mitsuzane or something.

What's with Kaito? His "world needs no saving" speech (hilariously followed by a fit of giggles) sets him to be pretty antagonistic.

its pissing me off how little original zangetsu has been used. if he does get offed, i hope that suit goes to someone else

Top Bottom