• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

I honestly think if PR adapts ToQger they should just go full Justin: make every single Ranger a pre-teen. Saves having to explain some of the weirder footage and plays right into the show's themes.

You want them to be 13 year old middle schoolers? Not happening.

At most you will get highschool freshmen. But not real life HS freshman. You are going to get good looking 20 years old babyface actors acting 13-14 high school freshmen

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I wonder if Tokkyuger will continue with the MOTW being actually threatening in terms of their M.O. instead of the gimmicky stuff we usually get...

So far we've had...

* Kidnapping children. Pretty much the most generic Sentai MOTW job, but hey...
* Forcing people to duel one another with realistic weapons, possibly to the death?
* Trapping kids in coffins, to the point of near-death.

vareon

I honestly think if PR adapts ToQger they should just go full Justin: make every single Ranger a pre-teen. Saves having to explain some of the weirder footage and plays right into the show's themes.

That would be full disaster. Isn't finding a decent preteen actor hard enough? Now you need five.

I wonder if Tokkyuger will continue with the MOTW being actually threatening in terms of their M.O. instead of the gimmicky stuff we usually get...

So far we've had...

* Kidnapping children. Pretty much the most generic Sentai MOTW job, but hey...
* Forcing people to duel one another with realistic weapons, possibly to the death?
* Trapping kids in coffins, to the point of near-death.

suicide monster.
cyberbullying monster.
molester bot.

g/a/f demon

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Maybe they could save more money by hiring more robots?
It worked with Troy, why not make the entire cast robots?

RangerBAD

iVPhODnWWaPE3.gif

Yesss. Appreciated. Now to put Kaz's face on it...

GManDH

WAIT, what???

So their hometown was devoured by darkness and if they leave the train they will regain their memories but first they have to defeat the shadow line? is it that simple??

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
They were pretty vague with it. Ticket implies that
they're dead
but Conductor implies
about the town thing

I wonder what's Wagon's opinion on the whole shebang?

something you see and can never unsee...

mechas/megazords often have 'punching glove' hand and normal glove hand to easier use the sword

mzw.jpg

And they both turn into punching hands in other scenes or even big fist holding the sword for some poses.

Boss Doggie

There are also "close up" suits and not close-up suits I think, much like how the sentai/rider suits have close up and not close-up helmets.

vareon

I just learned that Hironobu Kageyama will be a guest star in a cosplay competition in my country.

brb singing Kokoro wa tamago

would love to see behind the scene footage of how the big clusterfuck mechas are filmed, as in how the actor puts that stuff on, and the crane work needed to support it.

BatDan

would love to see behind the scene footage of how the big clusterfuck mechas are filmed, as in how the actor puts that stuff on, and the crane work needed to support it.

I would love to see footage of the Dino Ultrazord getting filmed. Unless the Megazord itself is just an empty suit.

I would love to see footage of the Dino Ultrazord getting filmed. Unless the Megazord itself is just an empty suit.

most likely just a big model for far shot, and some set if there is a closeup where the megazord requires any movement, which was rare i believe?

Not to mention how they movie it

well to be fair, the big ones are all on like a moving platform of some sorts, or just didn't move at all, just wave the arms a bit, which is the challenging bit. Even if everything is lightweight material, shit probably still weights 100+lbs of crap on your back.

would also love to see combination megazord suits next to base ones. I'm sure the costumes are module based, so you can just wear one 'arm piece' and bam, new mecha combo... but when they start getting taller (but still moveable), its not like they get taller suit actors... so I'd guess elements of the suit are scaled down.

Does sentai ever have behind the scenes on the bluray/dvd's? Probably not of mecha stuff. Think that recent leaked dairanger mecha leaked stuff is the only footage ive seen of BTS mecha stuff... which is super interesting :(

There are some godzilla BTS stuff on dvd's (and on youtube if you search right) that are really cool.

Slayven

most likely just a big model for far shot, and some set if there is a closeup where the megazord requires any movement, which was rare i believe?

well to be fair, the big ones are all on like a moving platform of some sorts, or just didn't move at all, just wave the arms a bit, which is the challenging bit. Even if everything is lightweight material, shit probably still weights 100+lbs of crap on your back.

That is what I mean, how do they keep their balance? The Shinkenger one was super top heavy.

That is what I mean, how do they keep their balance? The Shinkenger one was super top heavy.

wires and pulleys with people on the side supporting? shinkengers is probably not that bad because I believe most of the crap is actually on the bull mecha base thing it stands on.

G12 and great gobuster oh might be a bit rough.

Slayven

I really wish they would do a more humanoid looking one for better fights. The fights have decline every year in quality.

no clue why they do slow mo 'epic' swings for mecha fights these days... yet have them do backflips and other acrobatic stuff with cg.

why not have cg flips and the faster pace of mechapalooza from zyuranger/mmpr days?

I really wish they would do a more humanoid looking one for better fights. The fights have decline every year in quality.

Yeah, I pretty much skip mecha fights altogether. I think Gokaiger is the only one I didn't because I wanted to see the legendary powers.

Yeah. But even if they tried it, they've never stick with it - the clustermech would just be introduced earlier.

I was actually chatting about the robot fights with a friend yesterday, after we watched last week's episode of ToQger; we talked about whether it'd be too late for Toei to make another team without robots, like the first one. It seems like that ship sailed a long, long time ago - if there was ever a chance of that happening before the current crossover-heavy era, there's no chance of it now. You can't have your brand new team hanging out on the ground with Goranger while 30+ teams stomp around with big robots.

WillyFive

Yeah. But even if they tried it, they've never stick with it - the clustermech would just be introduced earlier.

I was actually chatting about the robot fights with a friend yesterday, after we watched last week's episode of ToQger; we talked about whether it'd be too late for Toei to make another team without robots, like the first one. It seems like that ship sailed a long, long time ago - if there was ever a chance of that happening before the current crossover-heavy era, there's no chance of it now. You can't have your brand new team hanging out on the ground with Goranger while 30+ teams stomp around with big robots.

If Bandai one day decides that mechas stopped being popular enough for them to simply have one for that year; then we will totally see a new team without one; kinda like how we stopped having teams with motor vehicles.

denji-ar-buggy.jpg
sun-ar-sandvulcan.jpg
goggle-ar-vehicles.jpg
9519_122955337955_8426992955_2392010_1848907_n.jpg

If Bandai one day decides that mechas stopped being popular enough for them to simply have one for that year; then we will totally see a new team without one; kinda like how we stopped having teams with motor vehicles.

denji-ar-buggy.jpg
sun-ar-sandvulcan.jpg
goggle-ar-vehicles.jpg
9519_122955337955_8426992955_2392010_1848907_n.jpg

lol, that 2-3 random eps in each season to show off the motorbike or ATV of the season.

still don't get why dairanger have bikes.

Yes, since for Toei/Saban, the merchandise is the big thing. Great ratings/bad toy sales is much worse than bad ratings/great toy sales. They'd need shit-ton of rangers or rangers forms to make it works and at that point you're just doing Kamen Rider without putting as much time into the costumes.

All I want is for the clusterfuck-prone mechs to come to an end. Maybe they could have a non-combining robot like Galaxy Mega and have a gimmick where it can switch between "armors" based on each of the ranger's powers and such.

BatDan

ToQger 03

Every episode just reminds me more and more of Kingdom Hearts. Even the use of "get it memorized".
The MotW was nice and dark, stuffing people in coffins. Though that was one abandoned school. Was it Sunday?

Boss Doggie

I also miss carrier vehicles for mechas. Remember back then when it was hot during 80's Sentai?

I think the last Sentai that had a carrier vehicle was Abaranger.

What's the reason why a lot of the Sentai seasons aren't fully subbed? Lack of home video availability? Disinterest?

EDIT:

ToQgewhatever Ep 1

The groups that are subbing generally concern themselves with the recent shows. Older shows are harder to get in RAW form and once you do, you still have to commit to subbing the whole thing. Fansubbing is free, so life intrudes sometimes.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
The groups that are subbing generally concern themselves with the recent shows. Older shows are harder to get in RAW form and once you do, you still have to commit to subbing the whole thing. Fansubbing is free, so life intrudes sometimes.
I think most of the old stuff, at least in terms of sentai, is out there in raw form. I think it's only a matter of time before all the older stuff gets subbed (most of them likely by G.U.I.S.). There seems to be more of an interest in the older shows recently.

Top Bottom