• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

How come no one cares that Hase died

I've been wondering this for a few episodes now.

Trust? None of those motherfuckers respect him. He should have put his wingtips to that Oddjob looking motherfucker the first time he mouthed off.

Kaito_betrayed.jpg

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Linkara's watching Operation Overdrive again (impressions on Twitter)

He's not happy.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Like in the episodes following Kouta getting fucked up by HawkTiger you could see how it affected him and stuff which helped shaped him as a character going forward. I really don't remember Kouta saying much after Hase died except for the episode where it happened.

vareon

Linkara's watching Operation Overdrive again (impressions on Twitter)

He's not happy.

Was he ever happy again? lol

Like in the episodes following Kouta getting fucked up by HawkTiger you could see how it affected him and stuff which helped shaped him as a character going forward. I really don't remember Kouta saying much after Hase died except for the episode where it happened.

One I don't like is how Kouta can't connect the dots: he saw firsthand that Hase transformed after eating a fruit and gets subsequently killed. Yuuya was alone in a forest full of such fruit.

Unless he knew it, but refuses to accept the fact.

Too bad we won't see this for 20 episodes. Instead I get Gokaiger retreads.

I was thinking about no being excited, after the last episode adter seeing the Gokaiger episode I seen it all for PR SM

gaim 20

jeebus, its like the director of this show really enjoyed playing Nier or something.

How did they get away with this as a kids show? They trick network people by sayings its a fruit show?

KingDirk

gaim 20

jeebus, its like the director of this show really enjoyed playing Nier or something.

How did they get away with this as a kids show? They trick network people by sayings its a fruit show?

I love it so much. Though not as dark, I think my favorite cognitive dissonance moment was when Oren was introduced and shortly after Kota and the fruit bar manager (Bandou?) had that conversation about the nature of art in the internet, and Oren getting so mad at Mai's 'dancing as self-expression.'

"Hey kids! Do you enjoy discussing the merits of expertise and formal recognition versus inspiration and community spirits?"

Also, my fiancée and I are kinda hoping that DJ Sabara ends up being a big bad in the show, if for no other reason that we both love the chaotic neutral oddballs that so often pop up in these shows.

(Trailing off thoughts, but if they do net videos for the stand-alone Gaim film Momotaros ought to meet Malika and Sabara, Kougami, and Amogawa ought to just hang out and shoot the shit.)

Honestly I am really into Gaim right now. I think my son has gotten me more into it. The story is half way decent for a kids show.

ReiGun

I love it so much. Though not as dark, I think my favorite cognitive dissonance moment was when Oren was introduced and shortly after Kota and the fruit bar manager (Bandou?) had that conversation about the nature of art in the internet, and Oren getting so mad at Mai's 'dancing as self-expression.'

"Hey kids! Do you enjoy discussing the merits of expertise and formal recognition versus inspiration and community spirits?"

Also, my fiancée and I are kinda hoping that DJ Sabara ends up being a big bad in the show, if for no other reason that we both love the chaotic neutral oddballs that so often pop up in these shows.

(Trailing off thoughts, but if they do net videos for the stand-alone Gaim film Momotaros ought to meet Malika and Sabara, Kougami, and Amogawa ought to just hang out and shoot the shit.)
Yeah Gaim is playing with some big themes and going about it in a smart way. This is what I mean when I say kids shows don't have to aim low.

jwk94

Ok that's it. Everybody's talking about Gaim way too much. Is it really that good? I tried watching the first few episodes but couldn't really get into it. Should I come back? The last Rider season I watched was Fourze. Wizard bored me to tears.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Ok that's it. Everybody's talking about Gaim way too much. Is it really that good? I tried watching the first few episodes but couldn't really get into it. Should I come back? The last Rider season I watched was Fourze. Wizard bored me to tears.

its quite impressive coming off of wizard

KingDirk

It's not even funny how much better it is than Wizard. It has me worried that the one after Gaim is going to be garbage, because so far it seems like Neo-Heisei shows are see-sawing in quality and the gaps are getting bigger.

W=amazing, OOO=fun, but mostly a huge mess, Fourze=pure uncut magic, Wizard=a big ol' mound of garbage (Beast excepted, of course), Gaim=a thrilling deconstruction of Rider tropes AND Kamen Rider Bravo. So yeah, I'm terrified the next one is going to smash the floor in terms of being terrible.

fmpanda

It's not even funny how much better it is than Wizard. It has me worried that the one after Gaim is going to be garbage, because so far it seems like Neo-Heisei shows are see-sawing in quality and the gaps are getting bigger.

W=amazing, OOO=fun, but mostly a huge mess, Fourze=pure uncut magic, Wizard=a big ol' mound of garbage (Beast excepted, of course), Gaim=a thrilling deconstruction of Rider tropes AND Kamen Rider Bravo. So yeah, I'm terrified the next one is going to smash the floor in terms of being terrible.

Thinking about how they rotate teams, it may be Kobayashi time after she gets done with ToQuger. There was a 3-series gap between her last Rider shows, so I wouldn't be surprised if she's back in the driver's seat after Gaim.

Once they get over the dancing teams and get into the Rider shenanigans full-time, it gets hype.

Kouta (Gaim) is not the show's driving force though and he spends a lot of time reacting or going with others' plans. He's the pivot point, but nothing really centers on him or his actions. Luckily for him, the rest of the cast is absolutely killing it.

I get the feeling that Urobuchi wanted to do the show about Micchy, but couldn't sell it to the higher-ups.

vareon

What didn't you like about it?

Gaim is exactly as they advertised before the show began. It ditches two-parter episodes we've seen since forever, favoring plot progression each episodes, yet somehow managed to slip in full toy release schedules in its episodes meaning you don't have a lack of new gadgets and gimmicks each week. It's about dudes in fruit-shaped armors fighting each other, yet it's an Urobuchi-written story that while not nearly as dark as his previous works, has a very interesting underlying theme and grey morality characters.

It's a marriage between pre-Kabuto era of structure and storyline with post-Decade era of extremely toyetic show. This is why here we have adults talking about the themes in Gaim while also having toys fly off shelves. The show is not without its flaws, but compared to years of Kamen Rider not being different enough, it's a bliss.

If you're looking for the usual monster-of-the-week structure you won't find it this year, though.

fmpanda

Once they get over the dancing teams and get into the Rider shenanigans full-time, it gets hype.

Kouta (Gaim) is not the show's driving force though and he spends a lot of time reacting or going with others' plans. He's the pivot point, but nothing really centers on him or his actions. Luckily for him, the rest of the cast is absolutely killing it.

I get the feeling that Urobuchi wanted to do the show about Micchy, but couldn't sell it to the higher-ups.

Kouta really reminds me of Ryuko from Kill la Kill, minus the hotbloodedness and need for revenge. He's supposed to be the normal one who's trying to take in all of the madness around him and function as a focal point that we should be able to relate to. Hopefully he doesn't lose his way 5-6 more times before the show's over, that'll be grating.

KingDirk

I liked the dancing teams, man. Kota is an audience surrogate, sure, but he's also consistently growing in terms of why he's fighting. While the characters surrounding him more-often-than-not hew to achieving individual goals, he's been growing more altruistic. That this sense of justice has developed in spite of being chided as childish is fantastic.

It also sets him up as a good foil to Kaito, as Kaito doesn't seem to be fighting to achieve an individual goal either. Kaito fights in service of a separate ideal. Without Kota, the constant shifts of balance in power would be less interesting, and the potential for Kota to fall to the 'dark side' or abandon his naivete adds extra dramatic stakes.

The recent revelation that Takatora actually IS fighting for an ideal beyond individual gain adds an extra twist. Takatora now occupies a space as a cautionary tale for both Micchy and Kota. I cannot wait to see where things go next.

I liked the dancing teams, man. Kota is an audience surrogate, sure, but he's also consistently growing in terms of why he's fighting. While the characters surrounding him more-often-than-not hew to achieving individual goals, he's been growing more altruistic. That this sense of justice has developed in spite of being chided as childish is fantastic.

It also sets him up as a good foil to Kaito, as Kaito doesn't seem to be fighting to achieve an individual goal either. Kaito fights in service of a separate ideal. Without Kota, the constant shifts of balance in power would be less interesting, and the potential for Kota to fall to the 'dark side' or abandon his naivete adds extra dramatic stakes.

The recent revelation that Takatora actually IS fighting for an ideal beyond individual gain adds an extra twist. Takatora now occupies a space as a cautionary tale for both Micchy and Kota. I cannot wait to see where things go next.

He's had a few, strong moments: he used his belt again despite Micchy saying otherwise and protected the scientists despite his anger at their actions. Otherwise, he's been a completely reactionary character. Micchy or Kaito are usually leading him in a direction, like the Inves catching plan, the Rider Game in Helheim, or the recent assault on Yggdrasil.

I assume that's intentional and it'll change once Kota gets a full understanding of what's going on (when he makes the full symbolic shift from youth to adulthood, probably in the early 30s) but right now it makes him a very passive character. Early Madoka had the same problem.

Kaito is well-defined, my problem with him is that he's far more melodramatic than his *current* origin story lent itself to. I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop on his lifestory.

Micchy and Takatora are pitch perfect so far, and the rest of Yggdrasil is equally interesting. Bravo and Gridon are tuned a bit too far on the zany side for my taste, but it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the show.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I really don't think Yuuya's actor is done with the show...

Totally thinking that Helheim is gonna basically use his appearance as their "spokesman" and try and appeal to Kouta to take their side, or something along those lines.

KingDirk

He's had a few, strong moments: he used his belt again despite Micchy saying otherwise and protected the scientists despite his anger at their actions. Otherwise, he's been a completely reactionary character. Micchy or Kaito are usually leading him in a direction, like the Inves catching plan, the Rider Game in Helheim, or the recent assault on Yggdrasil.

I assume that's intentional and it'll change once Kota gets a full understanding of what's going on (when he makes the full symbolic shift from youth to adulthood, probably in the early 30s) but right now it makes him a very passive character. Early Madoka had the same problem.

Kaito is well-defined, my problem with him is that he's far more melodramatic than his *current* origin story lent itself to. I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop on his lifestory.

Micchy and Takatora are pitch perfect so far, and the rest of Yggdrasil is equally interesting. Bravo and Gridon are tuned a bit too far on the zany side for my taste, but it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the show.

I didn't mean to deny him being a reactionary character, but it makes sense in the context of youth -> adulthood. When you're young, you construct yourself out of your interactions with others. As you're sussing out who you are, there are outside influences trying to shape you in turn. I get that he's not the driving force of the plot, but I don't see him as passive because his development is the soul of the show to me. All around him are others who see being an adult as having to compromise your ideals; if the show goes how I'm hoping it will, Kota will realize that's not true: you can be an adult and stay true to your ideals, but you have to be honest with yourself and own up to the effects of your actions.

Nothing earth-shattering, sure, and it could be possible we just have different interpretations of passive in this context. I just like getting to talk about this show, even with people who don't appreciate the majesty of Pierre Alfonso Oren.

vareon

Now that you mention it, that girl detective from Psycho-Pass was passive, too. That's how Urobuchi writes things maybe?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I got the latest Terebi-kun for the Kachidoki Mask and free Red-Ressha. It included a bunch of info on the Kachidoki arms stuff. Apparently the gun is called like the DJ gun or something, there's a turntable (you've seen it in the pics) you scratch to power it up.

Probably means whats his name the beat riders dj created it?

At any rate, I'm pretty sure the kachidoki arms lock seed will only come with the gun and the price for that is 5500 (50 bucks) yen.

Someone save my wallet.

Slayven

I got the latest Terebi-kun for the Kachidoki Mask and free Red-Ressha. It included a bunch of info on the Kachidoki arms stuff. Apparently the gun is called like the DJ gun or something, there's a turntable (you've seen it in the pics) you scratch to power it up.

At any rate, I'm pretty sure the kachidoki arms lock seed will only come with the gun and the price for that is 5500 (50 bucks) yen.

Someone save my wallet.

They really need to do a music themed sentai.

vareon

Someone save my wallet.

Your money is safer in the form of plastic toys and fruit-themed locks that aren't locking anything at all.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Thinking about how they rotate teams, it may be Kobayashi time after she gets done with ToQuger. There was a 3-series gap between her last Rider shows, so I wouldn't be surprised if she's back in the driver's seat after Gaim.
It's probably Sakamoto directing. Hopefully he brings Riku Sanjo along.

jwk94 said:

Dude see how much a simple question can stir up conversation about this show. I haven't like Kamen Rider since Kabuto. Show is a game changer for me.

Watch it!!!

It's probably Sakamoto directing. Hopefully he brings Riku Sanjo along.

I'd kill more Sanjo Rider following this. Not sure what the chances are since it will only be a few months out from him having written every episode of a show. He was lead on Kamen Rider W and Digimon Xros Wars, but that's nothing like doing all of Kyoryuger.

I didn't mean to deny him being a reactionary character, but it makes sense in the context of youth -> adulthood. When you're young, you construct yourself out of your interactions with others. As you're sussing out who you are, there are outside influences trying to shape you in turn. I get that he's not the driving force of the plot, but I don't see him as passive because his development is the soul of the show to me. All around him are others who see being an adult as having to compromise your ideals; if the show goes how I'm hoping it will, Kota will realize that's not true: you can be an adult and stay true to your ideals, but you have to be honest with yourself and own up to the effects of your actions.

Nothing earth-shattering, sure, and it could be possible we just have different interpretations of passive in this context. I just like getting to talk about this show, even with people who don't appreciate the majesty of Pierre Alfonso Oren.

Yeah, like I was hinting at with Madoka reference, I think he'll step up and become a major player, but I can understand people feeling the character isn't doing much compared to his supporting cast. I watch it with my girlfriend and she hates Kota because he rarely does anything. It's the expectation that Urobuchi has more planned that makes it work.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Gokaiger Goseiger Super Sentai 199 Hero Great Battle

The differences in personality between Alata and Marvelous are stunning. Marvelous just steals the show away in every scene.
It was pretty fun that the villain was the very first Super Sentai villain. Makes sense for an anniversary movie.

I loved seeing Ryou from Dairanger again. Still making food and everything.

Didn't like the ending though. That was some real Care Bears shit.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Reminds me of OOO, Eiji wasn't necessarily dull (in comparison, he had more backstory than Kouta does at this point), but every other character was so lively and colorful, it really made him seem boring most of the time. Especially when compared to Shotaro and Gentaro who surrounded him, who were pretty much the most fun characters of their respective shows probably.

In his defense, Kouta's had some funny moments and I love the body language of Gaim, so he's not at the level of Wataru/Haruto for me. I'd say he's like Kenzaki, a completely substandard lead without any real notable traits, but has a decent enough attitude and character that works (and hopefully has THAT one big moment that cements him as a bro).

Reminds me of OOO, Eiji wasn't necessarily dull (in comparison, he had more backstory than Kouta does at this point), but every other character was so lively and colorful, it really made him seem boring most of the time. Especially when compared to Shotaro and Gentaro who surrounded him, who were pretty much the most fun characters of their respective shows probably.

In his defense, Kouta's had some funny moments and I love the body language of Gaim, so he's not at the level of Wataru/Haruto for me. I'd say he's like Kenzaki, a completely substandard lead without any real notable traits, but has a decent enough attitude and character that works (and hopefully has THAT one big moment that cements him as a bro).

7y4JJXQ.png

Gaim 20

Holy plotdump. Glad to see the reveal, even with all the interruptions for fights. Solid factions are forming with each having their respective protege. Wonder if it'll lead up to a
Baron/Gaim
fight down the road. Was kind of hoping after the big group dance Jonouchi would go back to his group, but then again, latching onto someone stronger than him seems to be enough in character for him. My main question coming off this episode is: Just how long do they plan on dodging the whole Yuuya thing?
You have to wonder if Kouta still thinks Yuuya is missing with all these monsters around. Even if he finds out Yuuya became an Inves, I'm still wondering how he'd handle the fact he killed him unknowingly. Kouta's been on shaky ground before about whether or not he should be a Kamen Rider so I wonder if this plus the 10 year time limit would throw Kouta into despair or not.

Slayven

Didn't it just end a few weeks ago?

http://24.media.tumblr.com/69b73416e36ae3e3aea23710687399d0/tumblr_n0pl8djiTz1sz2spvo1_1280.png[/IM][/QUOTE]

[quote="Brawly Likes to Brawl, post: 103173815"]Slayven probably wants one with music as the main theme. Kyoryuger just had music as a garnish to all the crazy dino stuff.[/QUOTE]

yeah exactly have them be a band. Red on lead guitar, Blue on bass, Green on trombone, Yellow on keyboard, and Pink on drums. 6th ranger a rapper/ pop artist. 6th's weapon would be the magic mic, that turns into the Rap Rifle that he can use to spit hot fire or the Ballad Blade that uses his songs to cut enemies right to the soul.

LostAnkh

yeah exactly have them be a band. Red on lead guitar, Blue on bass, Green on trombone, Yellow on keyboard, and Pink on drums. 6th ranger a rapper/ pop artist. 6th's weapon would be the magic mic, that turns into the Rap Rifle that he can use to spit hot fire or the Ballad Blade that uses his songs to cut enemies right to the soul.
they need to make this happen.

Top Bottom