• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

GManDH

I think most of the old stuff, at least in terms of sentai, is out there in raw form. I think it's only a matter of time before all the older stuff gets subbed (most of them likely by G.U.I.S.). There seems to be more of an interest in the older shows recently.

im just hoping one day all of KR gets subbed, properly that is and not just w/e subs, not going to name names.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
gooooooooookai shilva

nw9wr3x.jpg

Well... he's tall. I'm just curious if he's hyperactive so he can match the suit scenes. Though considering Episode 3, I don't think Saban cares.

And yeah, that picture does look like a CW show. I bet if you took that picture and showed it to random people in the streets, they would never guess Power Rangers (unless they actually know and watch the show, but that's a fairly small chance).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Carrigator and Dekabase robo weep.

I count Dekabase robo as a "HQ" mecha than a carrier mecha, which is very rare. I think Fiveman was the other one that did that, and another Sentai.

And did Carrygator carry anything?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I count Dekabase robo as a "HQ" mecha than a carrier mecha, which is very rare. I think Fiveman was the other one that did that, and another Sentai.

And did Carrygator carry anything?

Changeman's Shuttle Base Had the hero's vehicles inside it, and if I remember correctly, it was mostly just an automated carrier. The actual base was somewhere in the mountains. They had to call in Base Shuttle and, after it landed, they had to fucking RUN TOWARDS IT, get in, and get out with the vehicles, so they could form the mecha. So we have sufficient artificial intelligence to pilot this massive ship, but not enough to make the actual fighting ships leave it (I think they eventually did leave by themselves).

Flashman's Star Condor had the robot parts inside them, but were also their HQs oh wait, it actually came out of the HQ (called "round base") and would just transport the robots to wherever the heroes were. It also served the same purpose in Gaoranger vs. Super Sentai, carrying all the Red Sentai mechas. I remember that, eventually, the robots would just fly over in their complete state.

I think they fall into the "carrier" category you speak of. They even both have specific BGM for their appearances. Star Condor BGM theme was pretty dope, and their robot (Flash King) theme would even mention it.

I really wish they would do a more humanoid looking one for better fights. The fights have decline every year in quality.

Flashman's Flash King was quite normal:

FlashKing.jpg

However, TItan Jr evolved form (Gran Titan? Titan Flash? I never figured that one out) was just a hulking piece of metal that would only lower it's arms and fire a rainbow beam out of its triangle chest gem:

Greattitan.jpg

Boss Doggie

Oh those count as carrier yeah. But the Dekabase doesn't because technically the Dekaranger mech parts tend not to be "carried" into action.

BatDan

I remember that.

This one's my favorite though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRoRfywzrzo

I would love to see the supposed "Bio-Man" pilot Saban made.

Ha, that Goranger part was surreal.
They're just saying their names and the subtitles say otherwise.

Wow, they were trying to get Sentai on American airwaves since the mid 80's? I guess Saban knew the huge potential for the Power Rangers. Maybe...

Slayven

Ha, that Goranger part was surreal.
They're just saying their names and the subtitles say otherwise.

Wow, they were trying to get Sentai on American airwaves since the mid 80's? I guess Saban knew the huge potential for the Power Rangers. Maybe...

Dynaman was on for years as a joke dub

BatDan

Super Megaforce 04

Alright episode.
It sucks they didn't get anyone from Wild Force to reprise their role.
It was nice to see some original footage (Wild Force Legendary Morph on Animaria). Though their way of getting around showing Jetman was... implausible. We'll just survive a giant fall from the sky! What, no Gosei to chime in saying they have new powers again?

Also, hi random Japanese citizens during the Earth fight scene.

I keep forgetting that Tensou exists. Why is he around again? Oh right, Alpha 5 nostalgia.

Tenumi

Banned
Super Megaforce 04

Alright episode.
It sucks they didn't get anyone from Wild Force to reprise their role.
It was nice to see some original footage (Wild Force Legendary Morph on Animaria). Though their way of getting around showing Jetman was... implausible. We'll just survive a giant fall from the sky! What, no Gosei to chime in saying they have new powers again?

Also, hi random Japanese citizens during the Earth fight scene.

I keep forgetting that Tensou exists. Why is he around again? Oh right, Alpha 5 nostalgia.

Hey, they never said where they landed :p

I thought it was a pretty good episode overall. A nice chunk of original footage, too.

BatDan

So like when are they going to morph into MMPR. I expected that to be like the first thing they did.

If we go by Gokaiger footage, the first Zyuranger morph was in the Shinkenger tribute.
If we go by the Super Megaforce episode titles, that should be... next week.

But yeah, wasted opportunity in the first episode by not shooting new footage of an MMPR Legendary Morph. It would have really drawn people in, instead of morphing into Samurai.

Tenumi

Banned
I'd imagine since Samurai was relatively fresh still in the kid's minds, that's why they stuck with that morph.

Also, was kinda sad to see "Legendary Black Ranger mode!".... then offscreen battle of awesome.

jwk94

Super Megaforce

This episode was really good. Loved the original fight scenes. Them demorhing to MegaForce mode when they fell from the Animaria was stupid though.

betting silver is the stud of the school... but actually is a closet nerd that always wanted to be a power ranger!

I'm pretty sure he's an alien from another planet.

BatDan

I'd imagine since Samurai was relatively fresh still in the kid's minds, that's why they stuck with that morph.

Also, was kinda sad to see "Legendary Black Ranger mode!".... then offscreen battle of awesome.

Fair enough, always for the kids. Even though they also try to nostalgia-bait at the same time. So confusing.

Yeah, I didn't get the point of the Legendary Black part. They morph into three Black Rangers, then they have the battle offscreen. I know the Gokaiger context, but here it only baffles me.

Also, found this picture.

1958315_643656219041297_1902530336_n.jpg

Dat digital editing.

NeonZ

If Bandai one day decides that mechas stopped being popular enough for them to simply have one for that year; then we will totally see a new team without one; kinda like how we stopped having teams with motor vehicles.

Motor vehicles disappeared because action figures sales lost importance in Sentai's toyline. Nowadays, almost every equipment Sentai get is either for the mecha or things that can be used as roleplay toys. The vehicles fit in neither class, and so were mostly forgotten.

It seems like that ship sailed a long, long time ago - if there was ever a chance of that happening before the current crossover-heavy era, there's no chance of it now. You can't have your brand new team hanging out on the ground with Goranger while 30+ teams stomp around with big robots.

I don't think the crossovers have much to do with it. Past mecha rarely seem to appear there, aside from the Vs movies, and they could put both teams in a single mecha there. The real reason it won't happen is toy sales.

Like said above, for Sentai, action figures of the actual Sentai members are a fairly minor part of the toyline nowadays - to the point that, for example, Kyoryuger's toyguide for the 1st quarter didn't feature KyoryuCyan at all. The toyguide had his batteries and mecha, but they had nothing for the actual KyoryuCyan and so his existence was a surprise. Cyan, Gray and Violet had no part in the main toyline due to how disinterested Bandai is in pushing action figures. Of course, later they got keys and other things, but that's already merchandising for fans, not the ones that are advertised on tv right alongside their debut.

The lack of importance (and sales) of Sentai action figures is why vehicles mostly disappeared too and we started getting more and more mecha to replace them. Bandai likely doesn't have much interest to fix that either since Rider's toyline is filling that niche recently - and Sentai likely would need to be heavily redesigned to get an actual action figure push. You can't have something like Gaim's swappable armor or OOO's combining system with primarily spandex based designs.

All I want is for the clusterfuck-prone mechs to come to an end. Maybe they could have a non-combining robot like Galaxy Mega and have a gimmick where it can switch between "armors" based on each of the ranger's powers and such.

We aren't really getting "all mecha combine" anymore like we got with Go-onger and the shows right after it though. The main issue is just that the mecha suits in general seem very bulky nowadays. They don't seem to be designed for mobility at all.

Would love for more gobuster style show where mecha stuff had thought put into. Each form has a use and the fights don't feel like a throwaway part of the eps.

Boss Doggie

Kinda sucks that they didn't use the version of X Rider where he spins in midair with his pole before a kick.

Also Rider Spin (the one where 1 and 2 run around against Shocker Riders) is the weirdest.

OK, I've just finished Faiz. Pick a new series for me to watch. I'm currently watching Gaim and Black, and I've seen Kuuga, Agito, Kabuto, Decade, W, OOO and Fourze.

Boss Doggie

Now I'm curious if our local dub will alter TaToBa too when it reaches it (I think it last saw Kiva). Tagalog of hawk is lawin, tiger is tigre, and grasshopper is tipaklong... LaTiPa

Xerotwo

Hm so apparently the Showa Riders are more loved than the Heisei/Neo Heisei ones.

Though can't really hate on that since Ichigo is always a badass rider, and same goes for the other classics too.

Rajack

Gaim 21

And Sid loses his lock seed like a chump. Gaim is really shaping up to be the absolute best all Heisei Kamen Riders

WillyFive

RATINGS!

Kyoryuger:

Average: 3.9% (All Episodes)
Highest: 5.3% (Brave 33)
Lowest: 2.3 (Brave 24)

Super Megaforce:

"Super Megaforce" - 2.142 million
"Earth Fights Back" - 1.896 million
"Blue Saber Saga" - 1.811 million
Average - 1.950 MILLION

That's about any show that try's to do a coherent story of 50 eps.

Nah, I've seen plenty of Rider shows do it well. W and Fourze did it really well, for instance; and Den-O would have done it very well as well if they hadn't felt the need to add an unnecessary final boss. Sentai also tends to do it well as well, and they are usually longer than Rider shows.

Slayven

Yeah Rider shows tend to amazing shows in the beginning, the middle they get lazy, and the last third they just pull shit from their asses. Kabuto is a perfect example of this.

Top Bottom