• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

So guys apparently a new season of garo is a thing and apparently is about presumably kouga and kaoru's son. Hope the season is more makai senki and less yami wo terasu mono. Starts in april can't wait.

Rajack

So guys apparently a new season of garo is a thing and apparently is about presumably kouga and kaoru's son. Hope the season is more makai senki and less yami wo terasu mono. Starts in april can't wait.

Yami wo Terasu mono was pretty good mind you.

Kabuto finisher looked nice, how he's all cool about it and such.

I wonder if the series is any good.

Kabuto had some of the best Rider designs ever, wrapped around a story that was completely nonsensical, capped off by an unsatisfying ending. It's the Rider series with the most wasted potential outside of Decade.

Watch it for the everything else except the plot.

What'd they do to Takumi then? He looks so different. That ugly hair doesn't suit him.

He's thinner and his hair is shorter and not dyed.

Super Megaforce 04 wasn't bad. Then again, I'm a sucker for helmetless stuff so the fact that they spent half the episode hanging around like that probably helped.

Sure was lucky they landed in the Asian-American cardbox box manufacturing district of town after being knocked off the floating island.

NeonZ

Kabuto had some of the best Rider designs ever, wrapped around a story that was completely nonsensical, capped off by an unsatisfying ending. It's the Rider series with the most wasted potential outside of Decade.
The ending is satisfying if your favorite Kabuto Rider is Gattack. But if you liked any of the other Riders you'll probably find it lacking. Even Tendo is really dumbed down there.

If Bandai one day decides that mechas stopped being popular enough for them to simply have one for that year; then we will totally see a new team without one; kinda like how we stopped having teams with motor vehicles.

Oh yeah, they did phase those out. That was probably for the best, since it got to a point where everyone but the Red had their own personal vehicles and the Red would still be driving some car or jeep or something.

Yes, since for Toei/Saban, the merchandise is the big thing. Great ratings/bad toy sales is much worse than bad ratings/great toy sales. They'd need shit-ton of rangers or rangers forms to make it works and at that point you're just doing Kamen Rider without putting as much time into the costumes.

They could put the budget into the rest of the show! But they totally wouldn't do that.

I don't think the crossovers have much to do with it. Past mecha rarely seem to appear there, aside from the Vs movies, and they could put both teams in a single mecha there. The real reason it won't happen is toy sales.

Like said above, for Sentai, action figures of the actual Sentai members are a fairly minor part of the toyline nowadays - to the point that, for example, Kyoryuger's toyguide for the 1st quarter didn't feature KyoryuCyan at all. The toyguide had his batteries and mecha, but they had nothing for the actual KyoryuCyan and so his existence was a surprise. Cyan, Gray and Violet had no part in the main toyline due to how disinterested Bandai is in pushing action figures. Of course, later they got keys and other things, but that's already merchandising for fans, not the ones that are advertised on tv right alongside their debut.

The lack of importance (and sales) of Sentai action figures is why vehicles mostly disappeared too and we started getting more and more mecha to replace them. Bandai likely doesn't have much interest to fix that either since Rider's toyline is filling that niche recently - and Sentai likely would need to be heavily redesigned to get an actual action figure push. You can't have something like Gaim's swappable armor or OOO's combining system with primarily spandex based designs.

Yeah, that makes sense.
It's weird, though - I think at this point, Super Sentai and Gundam are the only robot shows that are aimed at kids which actually sell a decent amount of toys and stuff. The rest of the genre has either been stuffed into niches or sent out to die from the '90s onwards.

Flashman's Flash King was quite normal:

FlashKing.jpg

However, TItan Jr evolved form (Gran Titan? Titan Flash? I never figured that one out) was just a hulking piece of metal that would only lower it's arms and fire a rainbow beam out of its triangle chest gem:

Greattitan.jpg

I would love to know who decided that a big rig would be a great idea for a group of space teens. It boggles the mind.

Toei just released videos compiling Rider finishers.

Showa and Heisei edition.

Kinda sucks that they didn't use the version of X Rider where he spins in midair with his pole before a kick.

Also Rider Spin (the one where 1 and 2 run around against Shocker Riders) is the weirdest.

The Heisei video looks pretty suspect, too. Kuuga's clip is interlaced weirdly, Fourze's is from an episode where he missed the kick (even though he used it twice in the first 2 eps and actually connected), and some of them even cut out before the explosion.
And Wizard's is cropped, for some reason, but no one cares about him.

It's almost like whoever runs the YT channel said "make sure this video stays around 10 minutes or so", and whoever edited this video together decided to shave seconds off with some really weird tweaks. Some of these clips are from 5+ episodes into some of the series, too, so it's not like they just grabbed the first version of the finisher that they found.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Super Megaforce 04 wasn't bad. Then again, I'm a sucker for helmetless stuff so the fact that they spent half the episode hanging around like that probably helped.

Sure was lucky they landed in the Asian-American cardbox box manufacturing district of town after being knocked off the floating island.

Wait a second...
The Super Megaforce costumes are meant to be new costumes over the Megaforce ones right? Meaning there should be a helmet over the helmet, and... I'm over-thinking this aren't I?

shaowebb

Okay, I REALLY shouldn't be up right now and was about to turn in, but engineering work had me up late...and then my wife sent me this and I must have an explanation.

UTxPdzJ.jpg

Some context please. I am completely baffled as to what the hell is happening in this thing.

huh suprirsingly amount of new footage in super mega.

Still dont get why they just don't use the same cameras as sentai folks... or does toei still send crappy quality footage over?

Wait a second...
The Super Megaforce costumes are meant to be new costumes over the Megaforce ones right? Meaning there should be a helmet over the helmet, and... I'm over-thinking this aren't I?

It's more that the Megaforce costumes transform into the Super Megaforce ones or whatever I guess.

Okay, I REALLY shouldn't be up right now and was about to turn in, but engineering work had me up late...and then my wife sent me this and I must have an explanation.

Some context please. I am completely baffled as to what the hell is happening in this thing.

Shocker are after a buried Nazi treasure. Hongo beats them to it and has himself buried in its place or whatever to surprise them because Showa Riders loved to troll the villains.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

Watch it for the everything else except the plot..

wizard exists. that show had so much hype wasted on absolutely nothing happening til the final episodes, then more nothing

alvmew

wizard exists. that show had so much hype wasted on absolutely nothing happening til the final episodes, then more nothing

Wizard was obviously a plot by real-life Phantoms to drive us all to despair.

And it worked.

Infinity remains my favorite suit in all of toku, but god this show was just.... blah. Nothing happened. >_>

Parallax

Beast is the only real dude in the whole damn show. The rest are a waste of chemicals.

They're a waste of everything. We don't know a damn thing about any of them personally, and with a cast so small that's pathetic.

Slayven

They're a waste of everything. We don't know a damn thing about any of them personally, and with a cast so small that's pathetic.
Like the girl from Kiva, at least she disappeared after a while. Maybe because it followed such a strong show like Fourze, that in comparison it is weak. But then again Gaim has a Zack, a dude that has had like 5 lines before he got a belt come in and be strong.
Nitou should have been the primary Rider. He was that good near the end of the show's run.
He really was, he tanked getting one of the worse powerups ever and still was good.

Nitou should have been the primary Rider. He was that good near the end of the show's run.

The dude was the human punching bag his entire time on the show though. I can't remember one time he won a battle. He just provided the sparks and shiny stuff early on in the episode so kids didn't tune out and then Haruto would wipe the floor with the baddies.

I see your Wizard and raise you Kiva.

cuZ9DI9.gif

Incorrect.

vareon

The dude was the human punching bag his entire time on the show though. I can't remember one time he won a battle. He just provided the sparks and shiny stuff early on in the episode so kids didn't tune out and then Haruto would wipe the floor with the baddies.

cuZ9DI9.gif

Incorrect.

That's exactly the point >:[ all that Otoya awesomeness resolved in a goddamn
time travel

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wow, I decided to read the "let's catch the trains" ending segment translated, and man they're informative and fun. Like that one train where the driver's seat is on the second floor.

Parallax

Which bothered me as well. Unless nitou was catching phantoms off screen, they made it seem like he was destined to fail. He needed them to live, but could mainly close the deal on smaller ones. That and haruto the shining god could take just about everything except the mid boss and goblin on his own with his constant powerups.

Kiva really was not that bad at all. It had a wtf ending, but honestly, most Rider shows do.

Sick designs and standout fantastic music too.

emperor form where you gotta hand job the sword to power up.

But that rider kick is pretty cool.

I think decade retroactively made Kiva worse somehow though.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Kiva really was not that bad at all. It had a wtf ending, but honestly, most Rider shows do.

Sick designs and standout fantastic music too.

The ending made me laugh, so it was alright in my book...

'Course, at first I thought it was meant to tie into Decade.

Top Bottom