• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

WillyFive

Phoenix cause he could keep on coming back.

I suppose once you can send someone to the sun to suffer an eternal cycle of rebirth and death; you won't really be challenged by physical threats alone.

His real challenge was keeping Koyomi safe. The idea was in the right place; what can an invincible man do to stop death? If the show hadn't paid more attention to weekly guest stars over the show's own protagonists, it could have been an interesting story.

His real challenge was keeping Koyomi safe. The idea was in the right place; what can an invincible man do to stop death? If the show hadn't paid more attention to weekly guest stars over the show's own protagonists, it could have been an interesting story.

Bingo. Exploring that point more clearly and from different angles would have been a lot better. Or at least have the guests of the week be tied to Haruto, and we see that even though Haruto is unbeatable in battle, it's another thing to protect someone. That would be a theme throughout the series eventually culminating in Koyomi (who ideally would have had a personality and screen time so we care when she dies...).

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I meant before he kicked him into the sun.

When Phoenix came back after being killed by Flame Dragon Haruto was like the fuck do I do to this guy. Phoenix even sort of goes over Haruto in the fight when he returns

Why are you guys talking about the potentials Wizard never managed to achieve? I'm sad now.

Because it was a show with a cool concept, a seemingly cool main character in a serious world with mystery that does absolutely nothing with any of it. Everything falls apart like, 3 episodes into the series.

None of the characters end up being cool, the fights become much less cool as the show goes on, it becomes formulaic to the point of knowing what's going to happen every episode, we called all the twists, and when the finale starts ramping up, the motivations for the hero to win and us to root for him falls flat on its face.

KingDirk

The frustrations of Wizard are so annoying because, unlike a bunch of the other Kamen Rider series, the changes needed to make it a good/great show are RIGHT THERE in your face. For a show like OOO, making the end plot cohesive would probably require a fundamental rethink of the final third of the series (the out-of-nowhere purple medals shifted focus way too much). For Wizard, you could keep the same basic plot/themes/arc and make it work. That it ends up being a wet fart of a show is unforgivable.

Slayven

The frustrations of Wizard are so annoying because, unlike a bunch of the other Kamen Rider series, the changes needed to make it a good/great show are RIGHT THERE in your face. For a show like OOO, making the end plot cohesive would probably require a fundamental rethink of the final third of the series (the out-of-nowhere purple medals shifted focus way too much). For Wizard, you could keep the same basic plot/themes/arc and make it work. That it ends up being a wet fart of a show is unforgivable.

I think Wizard made them drop the two parter. Gaim is so much better for it.

KingDirk

If we needed a Wizard to make a Gaim, I'll take it.

A two-parter structure isn't necessarily a bad thing. It made total sense for W, what with that show also being a bit of a procedural. Fourze also made it work well because its larger cast allowed for a rotating spotlight, and Fourze kept its subplots/villains-constantly-switching-sides stuff fairly low or self-contained. The two-parter didn't work well for OOO, but that's mainly because OOO's plot was a hot mess from fairly early on. It also could have worked well for Wizard if the weekly guest stars' struggles led to more development for the cast as a whole. I mean, Koyomi would ideally also have shit to do in every episode, but the structure itself isn't inherently bad.

In no world do I think that Gaim would benefit from a two-part structure. This show is balls-to-the-wall plot progression, and I love it for it.

big problem with 2 parter structure is that.... well there is near zero reason to watch the fight parts in the first part because you know the baddie will just teleport away.

i tend to just skip those.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hah, I knew you can't just use TQG pass to buy stuff for free. No such thing as imagination moolah.

ToQGer, teaching kids not to carelessly spend with their credit cards

vareon

Zack did a complete 180 from his initial asshole self from the 1st episode.

I think I read interviews somewhere that Urobuchi was on board before summer 2012, a few months before Wizard. This aligns with local interview with the Bima guy that Kamen Riders are planned in 1-1.5 years before it aired. I don't know when Urobuchi started writing but it's possible that Gaim's decision to ditch two parter was even before Wizard was aired.

I really wish I can read more stuff about Tokusatsu production.

KingDirk

I think I read interviews somewhere that Urobuchi was on board before summer 2012, a few months before Wizard. This aligns with local interview with the Bima guy that Kamen Riders are planned in 1-1.5 years before it aired. I don't know when Urobuchi started writing but it's possible that Gaim's decision to ditch two parter was even before Wizard was aired.

I would kill for an oral history of Kamen Rider productions. It'd have to be translated, of course, but still. I would Kickstart the hell out of a book of that.

Slayven

Didn't Zack stop Pico from cheating?

rewatching some shinkenger, its weirdly kinda sexist with how little origami the girls have versus the dudes when they do their clusterfuck mecha finisher.

ReiGun

rewatching some shinkenger, its weirdly kinda sexist with how little origami the girls have versus the dudes when they do their clusterfuck mecha finisher.

Even worse is that their origami are just attached randomly to the feet of Samurai Ha-Oh.

Shinken_SamuraiHaOh.jpg

They're not even unfolded.

Yes, it must be because everyone on the Sentai production team hates women.

That is literally exactly what we said.

Of course it just comes down to market perceptions (realities?) that boys only want toys of/associated with male characters, but if you don't think the Beetle Zord story was kinda fucked up then I dunno.

CrimsonN0

Tokusatsu production does seem kinda weird.
I have looked at some Urobuchi interviews on Gaim and he talks about how the writers have to plan episodes around the various toy release dates which are set in place before hand.

Tokusatsu production does seem kinda weird.
I have looked at some Urobuchi interviews on Gaim and he talks about how the writers have to plan episodes around the various toy release dates which are set in place before hand.

That explains the lone appearance of the Zecter Miser.

51TYTQ60TQL._SX300_.jpg

kabuto.gif

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Gaim is great until they transform ESPECIALLY the really dumb close range arrow battles they've been having.

I wonder what the show would be like if they were still birds.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Gaim is great until they transform ESPECIALLY the really dumb close range arrow battles they've been having.

streamlining the energy seeds to have the same weapon(and a bow on top of that) is lame. take away one of the coolest aspects of the drivers, and youre left not caring

Defuser

4 episodes in ToQger and I feel it's a step up from Kyoryuger.

- The opening is catchy and enjoyable to listen/watch.
- Focus is on the team themselves with each of them worried about their flaws unlike Gary Stu Daigo and his gang of nobodies although Right and Hikari haven't gotten to them yet about their flaws.
- Favorite part is how this show establish the shippings and pairings already which hopefully they would continue to develop it over the course of this show. I do support Tokatti x Mio.
- Mio is hot, Kagura is not.
- I kinda feel the casting of Right and Hikari is a mismatch in terms of appearance imo they should swap roles, Hikari looks like a leader while Right should be a sidekick.
- Is there a point on this colour exchange gimmick besides ToQgers exchanging weapons? It's seems incredibly useless and negative if a fellow ToQger(s) is not around to do the exchange.

CrimsonN0

Kaito will be the final boss when he merges with the forest and tries to take over earth.

Not sure if Micchy will die sooner or later.

Hmm, even though Kaito basically says to let Helheim happen, it could be that he genuinely expects the people to step up and become stronger - after all Kouta managed and now Kaito gets along okay with him now.

NeonZ

That explains the lone appearance of the Zecter Miser.

It was used thrice... but, really, I thought the way it was used itself explained why it was a one shot item. Kabuto activates it, the mini-Zecters come out, then the base is thrown away. The mini-zecters don't return to it or anything. It's a one shot weapon that couldn't be used twice. The other time Kabuto used it afterwards was when he was working for Zect, so he could presumably get more from them off screen.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Nearing the end of Gokaiger.

Ninjor (Ninjaman) is voiced by Franky! I should watch Kakuranger... when GUIS finally finishes it. Any day now.
At least I could watch Megaranger and Go-Busters until then. Along with the newest ToQger every week.

Zynx

I think Micchy will outlive Takatora, but I don't think any of them will perish soon. It is kind of lame that all the energy riders share the same weapon, but perhaps that's because it's just an incremental upgrade? We don't even get to see the original melon rider fighting style anymore now.

The funny thing is, the politics are probably the most interesting part of the show right now. Although I wonder if and when Kouta will stop relying on others for advice? He's like the least mature person on the show, other than the one dimensional weekly villains.

vareon

It was used thrice... but, really, I thought the way it was used itself explained why it was a one shot item. Kabuto activates it, the mini-Zecters come out, then the base is thrown away. The mini-zecters don't return to it or anything. It's a one shot weapon that couldn't be used twice. The other time Kabuto used it afterwards was when he was working for Zect, so he could presumably get more from them off screen.

That explanation is why we were discussing it in the first place. It needs to be there because toy release schedule, but the integration wasn't creative enough that it's just kind of there.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Pirate Sentai Gokaiger (complete)

Whew, that was one of hell of a series.

The sheer scale, the really fun characters, the great action scenes, all the fanservice to past Sentai (even if I haven't seen most of them). It's a total thrill ride.
One downside I do have is the villains, they were just kind of there. Except for Basco, he was a total asshole.

And yeah, the Gokaigers are so much like the Straw Hats. Yet somehow, Gokaiger wasn't a ratings smash in Japan... I guess all the references to Sentai from before the target audience was born turned them off.

ToQger 04

Some good development for Tokatti, though I can't believe they actually used the "wah-wah" horns when they found his pass.
Now that Schwartz has made himself present, I hope we finally get some more scenes of the villains. So far they've just been... there.

And the moral of the story is, don't abuse your parents credit card.

Top Bottom