• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

LostAnkh

Power Rangers RPM

This show was just a blast and an exhilarating ride. Although some things are questionable with that ending, I loved this season overall.

WillyFive

RPM is amazing.

So the Timeranger subs that this gave me are Megaupload links and therefore dead. Anything else?

How far did you get into it? You can get the first 16 directly from Over-Time instead of just going through a third party. But for the rest; you may need to use KRDL.info.

Heroman

Banned
Rpm is so good. It is mainly the reason why I still watch Power Rangers because I hope that ond day there will be a season that can get back to the level of Rpm.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
You mean it just outright hasn't been subbed after 16?

It has, but they're "guess subs". Meaning that they aren't an actual translation, but a guess of what the character's are saying. Obviously, that's a terrible path to go down.

BatDan

I figured out the reason Megaforce/Super Megaforce has been so blah. There's no story or characters!

Megaforce story: Teenagers with "attitude" are recruited by a big talking head to fight off invading aliens. That's it...

Super Megaforce story: Aliens invade again, so the Rangers now use the powers of the Old Power Rangers to fight them, and... that's it.

There's no logical plot progression, there's no "beginning, middle or end", you can cut out most of the episodes and it wouldn't make a difference.
I know Super Megaforce is only 1/5th done, but I really don't have much faith.

As for characters, what can you tell me about the Rangers? Jake is a jock that gets in silly situations now (thanks Gokaiger), Emma likes the environment and taking pictures, Gia is... a girl, Noah is the nerd, and Troy is made of balsa wood. They don't develop, they have no dimensions outside of flimsy throwaway lines, they never really earn anything, often having Gosei hand things to them.

"But Noah had that sword episode" But why? Why was he so intent on learning how to sword-fight? Prior to that, he was a sniper. It's inconsistent writing on top of being hollow.

"But MMPR was similar" That was 1993, and that isn't true. Characters did develop and have multiple layers to them. The added "life in school" scenes helped, and the side-characters were interesting too (I can't tell you anything about the side characters in Megaforce). Plus, there was a sense of plot progression in MMPR.

"But the fight scenes are cool" The fight scenes don't really matter if you don't care about the characters.

Even Samurai, as bad as that was, actually told a story.

Sorry, I finished Gokaiger today and I was just racking my brain at how Saban has screwed up so far.

Slayven

I figured out the reason Megaforce/Super Megaforce has been so blah. There's no story or characters!

Megaforce story: Teenagers with "attitude" are recruited by a big talking head to fight off invading aliens. That's it...

Super Megaforce story: Aliens invade again, so the Rangers now use the powers of the Old Power Rangers to fight them, and... that's it.

There's no logical plot progression, there's no "beginning, middle or end", you can cut out most of the episodes and it wouldn't make a difference.
I know Super Megaforce is only 1/5th done, but I really don't have much faith.

As for characters, what can you tell me about the Rangers? Jake is a jock that gets in silly situations now (thanks Gokaiger), Emma likes the environment and taking pictures, Gia is... a girl, Noah is the nerd, and Troy is made of balsa wood. They don't develop, they have no dimensions outside of flimsy throwaway lines, they never really earn anything, often having Gosei hand things to them.

"But Noah had that sword episode" But why? Why was he so intent on learning how to sword-fight? Prior to that, he was a sniper. It's inconsistent writing on top of being hollow.

"But MMPR was similar" That was 1993, and that isn't true. Characters did develop and have multiple layers to them. The added "life in school" scenes helped, and the side-characters were interesting too (I can't tell you anything about the side characters in Megaforce). Plus, there was a sense of plot progression in MMPR.

"But the fight scenes are cool" The fight scenes don't really matter if you don't care about the characters.

Even Samurai, as bad as that was, actually told a story.

Sorry, I finished Gokaiger today and I was just racking my brain at how Saban has screwed up so far.

You are right, the show lifeless.

BatDan

One thing I think Power Rangers has unequivocally over Super Sentai is the theme songs, ignoring the dumb rap phase. MMPR, Zeo, In Space, Wild Force, Dino Thunder, and SPD are godlike themes.

Don't forget Lost Galaxy and Time Force

One thing I think Power Rangers has unequivocally over Super Sentai is the theme songs.

I really like most of the Power Rangers theme songs but I wouldn't really say they're better than Sentai's. It's just one of the areas where they're both different and usually both really good.

You can't fuck with the likes of the Changeman and Liveman themes, or KAKURANGER NI~~NJA NINJA.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I've made a bad decision today and decided to watch the first two episodes of Power Rangers SPD and... why is Murphy so beaten up? He has so many scratches it looks like his paint is coming off. WTF.

One thing I think Power Rangers has unequivocally over Super Sentai is the theme songs, ignoring the dumb rap phase. MMPR, Zeo, In Space, Wild Force, Dino Thunder, and SPD are godlike themes.

I'd say the run from Gokaiger until now has been great. I haven't enjoyed all the shows, but the openings (outside of Go-buster's second opening) have been awesome.

Tenumi

Banned
I can't tell how I feel about Dairanger. It's got great fight action... but some of the plot stuff, especially
Kibaranger's identity and actions
has been, well, not good.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I can't tell how I feel about Dairanger. It's got great fight action... but some of the plot stuff, especially
Kibaranger's identity and actions
has been, well, not good.

I don't think you'll like the Ending.

BatDan

Kou is a little shit. The complete opposite of Burai (who was the best character in Zyuranger).

Tommy wore the Kibaranger costume better.

Best Dairanger character is still Ryo, he was a total badass.

Defuser

Frankly the only thing good about Dairanger is Ryo.

I don't give a shit about Daigo and his nonsense love for Kujaku.
Shoji got the short end of the stick with him being stuck with the three idiot gormas for character progression.
Kou should die.
Lin got stuck with Kou's nonsense hence shit too. Only thing good for her is the episode with the media magician.

Ryo gets all the good stuff with his father and Matoba Jin.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
When Saban re-acquired the show from Disney in 2010 it had inherited a giant mess. The Power Rangers universe, already a complicated world full of hundreds of characters, locations, Zords, and alien races by the final season produced in the US with 2002’s Power Rangers Wild Force, had been disregarded to varying degrees for 7 subsequent seasons produced in New Zealand under Disney. Whatever continuity the Power Rangers universe had established in seasons 1-10 had been outright neglected for years with seasons 1-10 treated as fiction in season 11, martial artist Tommy Oliver returning as a professor of paleontology (!) in season 12, Earth being a futuristic interstellar society home to multiple alien species in season 13, Lord Zedd and Rita Repulsa having a several-thousand-year-old son in season 15 (Zedd and Rita were married 13 years prior and Rita had been in a dumpster for about 9,987 years before that), the Earth being a post-apocalyptic wasteland in season 17, etc.

Faced with inheriting again the 10 seasons we produced in the US and 7 more seasons produced under Disney, two apparent options* faced the production going forward. We could ignore the Disney seasons and disregard them from the show’s continuity like they ignored our seasons or we could attempt to figure out a way to try and incorporate all of these seasons together.

Sour grapes. You think sentai people complaining about PR is bad? The more I read of this, the more I dislike the person writing it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Sour grapes. You think sentai people complaining about PR is bad? The more I read of this, the more I dislike the person writing it.

Actually he was merely stating their options, I don't think he has voiced his opinion on that. Tzachor was the one doing the "ignore Disney" shit.

Tenumi

Banned
I've thought of PR as having three timelines.

RPM Timeline (RPM obv., don't know split-off)
SPD Timeline (Splits from Time Force, contains SPD)
Normal Timeline (Everything else)

I don't really care much about the continuity otherwise. Heck, the only reason I put SPD in it's own timeline is to explain why Officer Tate wears a Time Force suit.

Top Bottom