• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Watch W.

ibgxLHqAerCcSH.gif

Still waiting for the rest of the bd re-releases...

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
If only sakamoto did the show and not just the w movies.

Easily some of the weakest fights of recent riders.

Have you seen Gaim?

Actually, Sakamoto did Fourze too and I don't really remember much from the fights except that I wish they were better because I knew Sakamoto was doing it.

Still waiting for the rest of the bd re-releases...

Apparently the OT guys are working with that guy to redo some of the subs.

WillyFive

Have you seen Gaim?

Actually, Sakamoto did Fourze too and I don't really remember much from the fights except that I wish they were better because I knew Sakamoto was doing it.

The thing about Fourze was that he fought with tools, which were mostly CGI. Sakamoto is more of a martial arts director, so his strengths were mostly wasted outside of the big budget episodes and movies, where there was enough money for his wire-fu.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Apparently the OT guys are working with that guy to redo some of the subs.

I hope they are. I'm still seeding the first 6 episodes and there's always like only two people downloading and me seeding. I want to watch it, but I want to watch good subtitles and at least a 720p source, 1080 preferred...

KingDirk

Why did Kouta's despair feel 123212421 times more real than the gates in Wizard? Dude was beyond broken

It helps that we have an idea who he is versus all the gates. Most of the gates was 'broad stroke backstory->Rider v. Kaijin->oh, I guess things weren't that bad after all." Kouta actually is developed at this point, we know his goals, and we can see how far he fell.

To the people recommending W: It is indeed awesome. It and Fourze are also the only Kamen Rider series I've seen so far where the plot actually hangs together by the end of it. They're both great entry-level shows, and both similar in terms of being ultimately optimistic versus some of the more muddled worldviews of other shows. The brief interaction between Gentaro and Shotaro during the OOO/Fourze crossover movie makes me so mad they didn't get to team up in a real capacity.

OH! ALSO! I bought my first S.H. Figuart today! My local comic book shop just randomly had figuarts for Black, Shadow, X, GX, and Kuuga Mighty Form. Liking the Kuuga design the most, I totally hopped up on it. I also talked to the manager there and made some requests. SO HYPE!

vareon

OH! ALSO! I bought my first S.H. Figuart today! My local comic book shop just randomly had figuarts for Black, Shadow, X, GX, and Kuuga Mighty Form. Liking the Kuuga design the most, I totally hopped up on it. I also talked to the manager there and made some requests. SO HYPE!

Welcome to the black hole. Kuuga is actually one of the older Figuarts, so he's somewhat skinny compared to others (compare it with Ultimate Form, even). Wouldn't be surprised if he gets a renewal like Kabuto, somewhere around next year, but he's still worth it for the design.

KingDirk

Welcome to the black hole. Kuuga is actually one of the older Figuarts, so he's somewhat skinny compared to others (compare it with Ultimate Form, even). Wouldn't be surprised if he gets a renewal like Kabuto, somewhere around next year, but he's still worth it for the design.

As soon as I bought it I thought to myself "Welp, this is another rabbit hole I fell into." I knew he was a bit skinnier compared to the others, but I still just really love the design. Kuuga's actually the next series fiancee and I are going to watch (after we finish Kabuto) so I'm extra-hype.

Hopefully by the end of the year I'll have a Fourze, Meteor, and Skull. Once I get those in my collection, well, I'll probably start goin' even more nuts. If the distributor has access to Gaim shit, well...fuck, man.

EDIT: Maybe I'll display the figuarts with the perler bead Kamen Rider heads I've been making. I need to get pictures of those hosted sometimes...

jwk94

Gaim.....just....Gaim. I finally decided to give this show a second chance and god damn is it good! I don't know how I only gave this thing two episodes last time smh. I just finished the episode where Baron comes in and I have to say I think I'm going to like his character. I have a huge thing for graceful characters so this is a huge treat. Although, I would have preferred if it were a girl, this will have to do.

I love how Kurokage and Acorn (?) double crossed Baron without any hesitation whatsoever. Dude is a huge dick and deserves everything he has coming to him. I feel like this season has too many "cool" riders though. Someone's got to give eventually.

i still think Kabuto is a good rider to start with. Sure its up its own ass all the time, but it has its charm, and tendou's badass level is still top for core heisei riders imo.

NeonZ

The thing about Fourze was that he fought with tools, which were mostly CGI. Sakamoto is more of a martial arts director, so his strengths were mostly wasted outside of the big budget episodes and movies, where there was enough money for his wire-fu.

Sakamoto also often took big breaks from the show in Fourze. Now, two of them was due to working in Fourze movies (Megamax and Fourze's solo movie), but he also took breaks midway through the show when there shouldn't be a movie in the way.

i still think Kabuto is a good rider to start with. Sure its up its own ass all the time, but it has its charm, and tendou's badass level is still top for core heisei riders imo.

I think Kabuto is a good recommendation to get people into toku, due to the quality of the suits and effects in the first 10 or so episodes. Everything goes down after that, but a good first impression is important to make people get over the whole "Japanese Power Rangers" thing. If you're already into toku though, it's not really a great first Rider show.

Pluto

By "entry", I meant "entry level". As in I haven't seen a single Kamen Rider series before.
I started with Kiva, not many people seem to like it but I thought it was good, it had some pretty cool characters and designs and I loved that the story was equally split between 1986 and 2008, it was a unique storytelling device that I had never seen in that form over an entire year.

I didn't like Decade and Wizard at all, W and Fourze were very good and OOO okay, I haven't seen much before Kiva, only some episodes of each series but not enough to know if they're good or not. Den-O looked like it was fun though.

Out of those I'd start with W, it's my favorite (followed by Fourze and then Kiva), the characters are awesome, the episodic structure worked well with the detective theme and it had great villains, probably the best of the seasons I've seen.

Personally I don't think Gaim is a good way to start watching Kamen Rider, it's hard to appreciate what it does differently without having seen other seasons.

Gaim

turn table guns of awesomeness aside.
What the heck is DJ? He changed an Earth fruit?! An Earth fruit in earth. Is he an inves final form? And not Mai what's her deal?

I want Kaito to rock a new form already!

NeonZ

The 3 minute preview of Kamen Rider Wars felt like it's All Riders vs Dai Shocker again. Nonsense, but pretty fun!

I really like this new director's action much better than Kaneda's (who directed All Riders vs Dai-Shocker, Let's Go Kamen Riders and the two Super Hero Wars). Kaneda, even when he wasn't being lazy(several of his action scenes had the heroes doing nothing special, basically fighting like grunts, aside from any suit acting referencing the original characters), attempted to make the action look very close to the original tv shows, which has its appeal, but also made things rather stale.

This time, just in the first three minutes, we get things like Kabuto thrown up a building, Stronger using a wide range Electro Fire (which actually is true to his tv show in its own way, since he often made up new attacks, and he had several area of effect ones), Kabuto spamming Clock Up, Skyrider bombarding Kabuto and spinning like a hurricane (he had a spinning attack in the original series obviously without the CG hurricane though)... Fourze is using Rocket States and flying around, even though his actor isn't even in this movie, while he was completely wasted in SHTZ, in spite of his actor voicing him there, but Fourze being just a suit here. There seems to be a lot more creativity going on with the action here, and, out of all those Riders, only Gaim is an actual main cast member.

I really hope they keep this director for future crossover movies.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
New scan of Battride War 2 showing OOO Burakawani and a character model of the samurai good guy from that particular movie.

Wait, seriously? This game is actually gonna have human characters?

Even odder, I believe that samurai dude was like a famous celebrity from some Japanese Period Drama, I wonder if they had to pay to use his image?

NeonZ

Showa won the poll for the Heisei vs Showa battle. I actually wanted this result, so I hope Toei actually follows the poll and won't pull some excuse when they make the official announcement. The numbers aren't visible after the poll ended, which is what makes me fear they might change the results anyway...

I hope Stronger gets a round 2 with Kabuto in the final battle. And they really need to show the Heisei Riders losing with their final forms, otherwise it'll be kind of underwhelming. They're even using them earlier in the movie.

In full agreement.

Gaim.....just....Gaim. I finally decided to give this show a second chance and god damn is it good! I don't know how I only gave this thing two episodes last time smh. I just finished the episode where Baron comes in and I have to say I think I'm going to like his character. I have a huge thing for graceful characters so this is a huge treat. Although, I would have preferred if it were a girl, this will have to do.

I love how Kurokage and Acorn (?) double crossed Baron without any hesitation whatsoever. Dude is a huge dick and deserves everything he has coming to him. I feel like this season has too many "cool" riders though. Someone's got to give eventually.

His name is Gridon, and acorn in Japanese in donguri, so his English name would be Ornac, like Aesir is using.

Sh-Showa?

HOORAY!

Sadness.

NeonZ

It's kind of ironic, Kouta's development in the last episode of Gaim actually lines up very well with his position in the Kamen Rider War movie
letting the movie guest character Shu meet his dead mother again, even though it'll also bring back an army of monsters, because he believes he can kill all resurrected monsters before anyone dies. Saving the world without sacrifices or compromises. Meanwhile, the Showa Riders want to destroy the machine that allows the resurrection of the monsters and Shu's mother before anyone is hurt, although that will make it so Shu can't meet his mother again.

With Showa's victory, apparently Kouta's just going to run into another wall right after his big triumph. If they stick with the goals of each faction, and there isn't some cop out, it could make a rather bittersweet ending, which would be interesting for a big crossover type movie.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
TJVeWuP2.jpg

Kei... you're going to be mighty disappointed. Especially since you're not even in it.

BatDan

Forgive me, but... who is that?

Kei Hosogai. He played Basco in Gokaiger.
He grew up in America so he knows all about Power Rangers (and speaks perfect English).

I'm thinking he'll be disappointed since there's no counterpart to Basco, and confused when Dairanger, Maskman and Flashman show up.

Tenumi

Banned
Kei Hosogai. He played Basco in Gokaiger.
He grew up in America so he knows all about Power Rangers (and speaks perfect English).

I'm thinking he'll be disappointed since there's no counterpart to Basco, and confused when Dairanger, Maskman and Flashman show up.

Ah... yeah. I am honestly disappointed about no Basco counterpart. Would've been nice, even if it was Vrak or something.

BatDan

basco isn't in it?

some of the more interesting fights involved him :/

The only way I can see Basco showing up is if his armored form ends up being a generic MotW.

All the episode synopsis indicate that he's not going to appear (though the last few are still a mystery but I doubt he'll appear).

Such a wasted opportunity too. Kei Hosogai speaks English, they could have easily shot new footage. But that would require spending money to fly him over, give him accommodations, and pay him overall. And Saban would rather not do that.

Hell, there's a lot of screwed up stuff about Super Megaforce. They could have shot original footage of new Legendary Morphs (more Mighty Morphin for one thing) instead of just holding onto the Megaforce costumes and doing new footage of that. I mean, you have access to every single power ever, and you waste your original footage budget on the Megaforce powers.

Also, Jake & Noah needed to switch places.

The only way I can see Basco showing up is if his armored form ends up being a generic MotW.

All the episode synopsis indicate that he's not going to appear (though the last few are still a mystery but I doubt he'll appear).

Such a wasted opportunity too. Kei Hosogai speaks English, they could have easily shot new footage. But that would require spending money to fly him over, give him accommodations, and pay him overall. And Saban would rather not do that.

Hell, there's a lot of screwed up stuff about Super Megaforce. They could have shot original footage of new Legendary Morphs (more Mighty Morphin for one thing) instead of just holding onto the Megaforce costumes and doing new footage of that. I mean, you have access to every single power ever, and you waste your original footage budget on the Megaforce powers.

Also, Jake & Noah needed to switch places.

Or heck, reuse those mega mode armors from samurai for foot soldier fights would be rad.

WillyFive

iRyMvrcBmOazh.PNG

I like this kid.

Also, I like how Gaim frequently changes who the bad guys are and is very ambiguous over it. I really can't tell what faction the final boss will be from.

Slayven

iRyMvrcBmOazh.PNG

I like this kid.

Also, I like how Gaim frequently changes who the bad guys are and is very ambiguous over it. I really can't tell what faction the final boss will be from.

Here is how I think it will end up:

Mr.Warring, Peach lady, and Sid become overlords but in the process Micchy or his bro dies turning the surviving brother to side with Kouta.

Kaito will be a hybrid overlord but will side with Kouta not because Kouta is right but because the otherside is weak.

Biker19

Banned
Mega Silver is barely in the show.

Like I've said before, if you are interested in the premise of Megaranger, you might as well watch Fourze instead. It's like Megaranger, but good.

It's a shame, because the Megaranger suits and designs are all awesome. Power Rangers in Space is worth watching since it takes the footage and adds a lot of extra context to it that makes it better, in my opinion.

Carranger vs. Megaranger was fun though.

Both Megaranger & In Space happens to be good, IMO.

By "entry", I meant "entry level". As in I haven't seen a single Kamen Rider series before.

Though it seems everyone loves Gaim.

I agree. I've more of a fan of Super Sentai than with Kamen Rider, with the exception of a few shows like Kamen Rider Black, & Kamen Rider W.

BatDan

ToQGer 06

This... this is still a comedy show right?
The tone is all over the place.

Schwartz is awesome! Though I feel he'd fit in more on Ohranger or Gokaiger than here.
Good development for Tokatti and to remind kids that "teamwork is what's important in Super Sentai"

So, next week is a crossover with Gaim? Might skip that one since I haven't seen it, and don't plan to until I have a few KR series under my belt.

Midonin

The crossover is unrelated to the ongoing Gaim and ToQger storyline
Exactly. It's being done to promote the Rider War movie by airing when it opens. As much as I would've loved some sort of Shadow Inves, giving them an enemy unrelated to either party puts them on an equal playing field.

Top Bottom